THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new sigur ros album  (Read 6635 times)

Jenter888

new sigur ros album
« on: 03 Nov 2007, 14:43 »

hey, this topic is for people to discuss the new album! :mrgreen:

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
Re: new sigur ros album
« Reply #1 on: 03 Nov 2007, 15:29 »

So. Fucking. Excited.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #2 on: 03 Nov 2007, 16:45 »

WAIT WHAT

I haven't heard about this. I'm going to go scream like a freshman girl at a Justin Timberlake concert.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2007, 17:30 »

When does it come out? Very excited. I'm really digging this double EP Caspian was kind enough to share in the meantime. The acoustic stuff is really great- as my Mum said: "this is really beautiful music". Also very pumped for Heima which looks great.

Ocarina654

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #4 on: 03 Nov 2007, 17:40 »

Ooo, hadn't heard about this yet!

Love Sigur Ros, new album is greatly appreciated.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2007, 18:14 »

When does it come out? Very excited. I'm really digging this double EP Caspian was kind enough to share in the meantime. The acoustic stuff is really great- as my Mum said: "this is really beautiful music". Also very pumped for Heima which looks great.

The "double EP" is what is being referred to, I'm rather sure.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #6 on: 03 Nov 2007, 19:45 »

No Dark Flame, the EP is just accompanying the movie, i'm fairly sure they have a new full LP coming out?

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #7 on: 03 Nov 2007, 22:03 »

They do have a new LP coming out but I don't think there's a date to it yet, and there's hardly any details about it. It won't be out for a while.

The 'double EP' is pretty damn good, but it's definitely not their best work. The acoustic stuff is nice (and the production is amazing) but it's not very exciting. I'm loving the electric side though, especcially 'I Gaer' and 'Hjlomalid' or whatever it's called.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2007, 22:13 »

No Dark Flame, the EP is just accompanying the movie, i'm fairly sure they have a new full LP coming out?

I'm sure they do, but there's no real information at all about it at the moment, which is why I'm pretty sure this thread is for Hvarf-Heim.  If we were to create a thread for every band who we're pretty sure has a new album eventually coming out, that'd be pretty silly, wouldn't it?

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #9 on: 04 Nov 2007, 01:23 »

yeah it would. I must have got myself excited into thinking it was coming out sooner that it obviously is. Apologies.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #10 on: 04 Nov 2007, 03:43 »

If we were to create a thread for every band who we're pretty sure has a new album eventually coming out, that'd be pretty silly, wouldn't it?

at least we wouldn't have to make a guns and roses thread

(is that joke old yet)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #11 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:08 »

The new LP is coming out sometime...probably late '08. That's the word from reliable sources. Don't expect it anytime in the near future in any case. The double EP and DVD release are definitely things to look forward to, however. The movie is absurdly beautiful and exceptionally well done and the EP is terrific. Acoustic Sigur Ros is wonderful (based on my live experience with it anyway) and the new songs, two of which can be heard in the movie (one in the trailer) are really great as well. Be excited about that and reserve your excitement for an actual LP for some months yet.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:21 »

what's the release date for the film?

I'm posting a pre-emptive "fuck yeah this is awesome!" re: the new album so in a year's time I can link back to this thread and be like, see, totally called it.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #13 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:29 »

The DVD is released on November 20th. Whatever you do, do NOT buy the regular edition of this. The special edition is well worth the extra ten dollars or so, containing one of the best bonus discs I've heard of. It has every song from the film, live, in full plus a bunch of mini-documentaries, totaling something like 4 hours of extra footage. Just do it (it's actually pretty cheap on buy.com. I got it there with Hvarf-Heim).

Hollow Press (my blog)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #14 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:37 »

so do sigur ros pay you on commission or what ;)

seriously though, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be picking up the swanky edition with the extra stuff. and ten dollars is fuck all in real money at the moment :)

SeanBateman

« Reply #15 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:37 »

Well cool. I will listen to this at least once, probably.

Jenter888

« Reply #16 on: 04 Nov 2007, 12:03 »

The new LP is coming out sometime...probably late '08. That's the word from reliable sources. Don't expect it anytime in the near future in any case. The double EP and DVD release are definitely things to look forward to, however. The movie is absurdly beautiful and exceptionally well done and the EP is terrific. Acoustic Sigur Ros is wonderful (based on my live experience with it anyway) and the new songs, two of which can be heard in the movie (one in the trailer) are really great as well. Be excited about that and reserve your excitement for an actual LP for some months yet.

huh, i had heard nothing about this new cd.......for 08, i do however have a copy of the acoustic and electric new stuff, i have the dvd and double cd deluxed edition reserved at hmv right now, i'am stoked....also, you people should search youtube for the interview and acoustic performance of aegtis byrjun......its on the culture show...bbc or something, its lovely

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #17 on: 04 Nov 2007, 16:46 »

so do sigur ros pay you on commission or what ;)

seriously though, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be picking up the swanky edition with the extra stuff. and ten dollars is fuck all in real money at the moment :)

Hah, I wish. That would mean I would know them. I'm actually just a gratuitous fan-boy who was lucky enough to see the movie at its premier so I know it's worth picking up the extra stuff. And to prove it's not just me, here are some review snippets of the movie:

*  q ***** “as moving as it is magical… sigur rós have re-invented the rock film“
    * empire **** “so beautiful it’s hypnotic… one of the most beautiful audiovisual experiences of the year“
    * total film ***** “heartfelt and moving“
    * the guardian **** “i was utterly captivated by this documentary…“
    * the times **** “delivers a sensual balm of music, space and place that is hypnotic.“
    * time out **** “provides an atypically intense and enormously pleasurable experience.“
    * los angeles times “more art-house movie than concert rockumentary.“
    * the irish times “sigur rós are arguably the best band in the world today.“

See!
« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2007, 18:01 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 05 Nov 2007, 12:20 »

haha you don't have to sell it any further, I bought a copy right after typing that :) was meaning to for awhile, just didn't realise it was out!

how gutting is this: I was actually on holiday in Iceland and left the country a day before the first of the dates featured on the dvd. goddamn!

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #19 on: 05 Nov 2007, 14:51 »

www.sigur-ros.co.uk for all the news you might need.

I'm terribly excited for all their new releases. I just wish they would premiere the movie in Chicago - there are plenty of fine movie theatres and art film houses that could be a venue.

My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:00 »

The acoustic version of Staralfur may in fact be better than the original. Did not think it was possible, but I guess I'm wrong.

Also, I gaer is like their most rocking song ever. Even more so than the last bit of Danarfregnir og Jadarfarir, or Glosoli.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #21 on: 06 Nov 2007, 14:42 »

Jesus, I didn't know there was such a thing as "more powerful than the ending to Glósóli."

The thing about this band that I love the most is that they manage to keep their sound consistent, with their ambient sounds and contrasting hi-fi and lo-fi recording techniques, and they can still reinvent themselves as a band with each album and have it not suck.

I think I'm going to really enjoy this album.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #22 on: 07 Nov 2007, 07:33 »

The ending of Danarfregnir og Jadarfarir is GREAT. Not as long as Glosoli, but it sounds fucking evil.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 07 Nov 2007, 09:37 »

I got DVD shaped mail today. this is gonna be a good evening.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #24 on: 07 Nov 2007, 20:43 »

The acoustic version of Staralfur may in fact be better than the original. Did not think it was possible, but I guess I'm wrong.

Also, I gaer is like their most rocking song ever. Even more so than the last bit of Danarfregnir og Jadarfarir, or Glosoli.

I was going to praise the new Staralfur as well. Admittedly, I thought the old version definitely overstepped the "beautiful/easy listening" line, but this is one is really good. JOnsi's voice is amazing.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #25 on: 10 Nov 2007, 15:00 »

I just got my copy of Hiema. Very excited.
Pages: [1]   Go Up