THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 09:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: St. Jeromes Laneway Festival  (Read 2120 times)

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
St. Jeromes Laneway Festival
« on: 04 Nov 2007, 19:13 »

Yeah, another thread about Australian music festivals. personally, I think this line up  kicks the ass of BDO: FEIST, KEVIN DREW, OKKERVIL RIVER (!!!!), DAN DEACON, CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH (among others). I've never been to this one but will deffinitely be attending this year, at the Melbourne one there closing off Lonsdale St. for the main stage, which sounds pretty bizzare. Tickets go on sale Thursday (8th November). So what do people think, anyone gonna go?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Re: St. Jeromes Laneway Festival
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2007, 21:22 »

God-dammit, after I vowed not to go to the Laneway Festival again because it was so unenjoyable last time around (something which had nothing to do with the music), they're making it really fucking hard for me. However, I've seen Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Okkervil River, and Broken Social Scene live before, so the only one I'm desperate to see is Feist. Don't get me wrong, all those bands were and are terrific and the Okkervil River gig in particular is one of the best I've seen, but the thought of spending another 12 hours crammed into a stinky laneway which is subway-at-rush-hour type full of people, the vast majority of whom spending those 12 hours getting progressively sweatier and drunker and more obnoxious, just to hear 40-minutes sets, and having no down-time whatsoever between acts because when there's no band on stage the music from the D.J. tent gets pumped through the loud-speakers so that by the end of the 12 hours my ears are practically bleeding . . . no, I think I'll keep an eye out for side-shows instead.

Also, with Joanna Newsome, Bjork, and Sufjan Stevens all performing, it's looking like the Sydney Festival is going to be one of the best music festivals this summer. Go figure!

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 04 Nov 2007, 21:30 »

Yeah, Sydney Festival has a great line-up this year. Pricey, though. And I'm very much looking forward to getting the Spiegel-tent back off the Victorians.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #3 on: 04 Nov 2007, 22:04 »

Yeah sideshows will be good. But i get the impression there've moved it onto Lonsdale St. and down into the basement under myer for the precise reason that it was sweaty and cramped last year. There's no way i'm missing it.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 2007, 22:10 »

Hmm, I'll check that out, but I don't trust the organisers to say "Well, we've got a roomier venue now, so everyone will have more space". Rather, I expect them to say: "Well, we've got a roomier venue now, so we can sell more tickets". The problem last year wasn't so much with the venue, so much as the venue combined with the fact that they sold way too many tickets. At the end of the day it was literally almost impossible to move, but there were hundreds of people there who'd got sufficiently drunk that they thought it would be worth their while trying to force their way through the crowd to be next to the stage. Not fun.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #5 on: 04 Nov 2007, 23:34 »

call me ignorant but are under 18's allowed to go to St. Jeromes Laneway Festival?

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2007, 02:26 »

Nah sorry- over 18... which would really really piss me off if i was 9 months younger than i am. Inlander this is a good point about just being able to seel more tickets, them greedy bastards.
Pages: [1]   Go Up