THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 00:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: plans for the inevitable undead uprising  (Read 161203 times)

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
Re: plans for the inevitable undead uprising
« Reply #200 on: 31 Jan 2008, 20:56 »

I thought you said underwater wedding gear.

I thought, awwww old-fashioned underwater romance, repopulating the Earth in a morally responsible manner!

Because in the event of the zombie apocalypse our main focus will be morals!
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #201 on: 31 Jan 2008, 20:59 »

Is this from the hour long discussion me and Jon had today on gabbly? I'm sticking to the Southwest as my destination, and I don't think Jon's gonna change his plans either. Maybe in the long term, but I think the best way to survive is to go it alone, and if you can't, then your chances are severely reduced anyway.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #202 on: 31 Jan 2008, 21:09 »

Where the heck are people buying these wooden hafted axes anyway? Get with the 21st century! A good solid synthetic handle is harder to break although they transmit more vibration along your arm when you're hitting something really solid. That shouldn't be too big of a problem though when splitting a rotting corpse's brainpan anyway.

As for firearms, I'm sticking with my 12 guage Benelli pump, thank you very much. 00 buckshot never goes out of style and the shit isn't exactly hard to find in Minny. Plus, my mom owns like 7 guns; after a certain point you just stop counting. I won't even go into what my grandfather owns.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 21:33 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #203 on: 31 Jan 2008, 21:32 »

Man, the guy I have been planning our Zombiepocalypse tactics with just refuses to use guns, which is putting a crimp in my plans. This guy is convinced that firing a gun at any point will lead to our doom, which is just silly. I get that you shouldn't use firearms for isolated zombies, but when the shit hits the fan, you're going to want a nice automatic rifle to mow down the shuffling hordes.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #204 on: 31 Jan 2008, 21:36 »

That really sucks. At the very least you should get a good pump action since they're so easy to maintain (contrary to popular belief, buckshot with no choke will only have like a 3 inch group at 12 feet or so, so you do still have to aim a fair bit). Just stay away from bird shot.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 21:41 by Whipstitch »

dr.sangaygupta

« Reply #205 on: 31 Jan 2008, 21:43 »

In all honesty a .22 rifle would be better as the low speed/velocity a .22 has would bounce around in a skull. while it may not have the range as a 5.56mm NATO round, it would be much better because of the lack of intacct flesh and/or softer bone. or you could use a converted M4/ AR-15 (dunno what it is) that fires 9mm.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #206 on: 31 Jan 2008, 21:45 »

If you are worried about ammo, get an M44, or possibly a M91/30, if it is possible to put the m44 bayonet on them, you could stab someone from almost as far away as you could shoot them. Seriously, that bayonet is twelve inches long.

Probably a 5.56 would be best for guns, as it is lighter than a .308, but you can punch through a skull with it easy. .308 would be good for longer range, though. You wouldn't want to be picky, though, get everything you can carry, and some reloading supplies, if you can. If you know guns well, when you took your pick of one, you would want one that went easy on the brass, for reloading purposes. In other words: No G3 clones.

My choice would be to go up in the mountains here in Colorado, plenty of animals for hunting, relatively empty, and if you life above the alpine line, you could see anything that came near. Cliffs would also be good, zombies aren't the most dexterous, and if you shot one that managed to be high up on the cliff, it would probably fall and land on the heads of ones beneath.

I am actually planning on moving up into the mountains eventually, so this would be pretty easy then. Especially since I would also have over a dozen guns and thousands of rounds of ammo before long.

No automatics if they are headshot zombies though, you want to conserve ammunition. A select-fire would be fine, but keep it on semi unless you have a really good reason.

edit: The advantage to iron sights is that you couldn't recognize features like you could with a large magnification scope, which would mean that you wouldn't have the "I know that guy" moment.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 21:53 by Nodaisho »
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #207 on: 31 Jan 2008, 22:17 »

I suggested a shotgun mostly due to their easy maintenance and the fact that I myself will be using one extensively simply because that's one of the weapons I happen to have and personally feel most comfortable with. Plus, some zombie types appear to be able to withstand wounds to what would normally be vital organs or do not require headshots to kill, in which case you may be better off taking a higher caliber rifle or a shotgun w/ slugs that's simply capable of at least downing the suckers with a hit to center mass. A good rifle is always the top choice but sometimes you have to make due, and shotguns beat this piss out of handguns.
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 22:22 by Whipstitch »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #208 on: 31 Jan 2008, 22:23 »

Man, you guys, fuck that .22 noise, give me a .30-06 M1 Garand. Sure, it won't bounce around in the skull, but seriously? Who needs that when the bullet RIPS THE SKULL AND IT'S CONTENTS APART because it is going THAT FAST. Seriously that shit is like 2000m/s, and the round is plenty big enough and heavy enough to keep going for a good while after it's already blasted through one zombie skull.

That said, I also want a Desert Eagle. I don't care if the thing breaks your hand every time you fire it, it will probably plow through the heads of like 80 zombies if they're lined up just right.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #209 on: 31 Jan 2008, 22:30 »

If I can make it to my grandfather's house, it's pretty much .30-06's all around. My grandfather's 86 years old, and some of his weapons are damn near as hold as he is, but they're also pristinely kept and have been killing shit since before just about anyone here was born. A few of 'em are bolt action but that'd still be fine for plinking them from a distance or for hunting for food. I mean shit, if it can kill a moose, it can kill a zombie. Although, we might be fucked if there's zombie-moose.

For what it's worth, I found an artist's rendition of what could potentially be the ideal weapon if only we could get someone to develop it (not really, but it IS awesome):
« Last Edit: 31 Jan 2008, 23:06 by Whipstitch »

Nodaisho

« Reply #210 on: 01 Feb 2008, 01:25 »

Man, you guys, fuck that .22 noise, give me a .30-06 M1 Garand. Sure, it won't bounce around in the skull, but seriously? Who needs that when the bullet RIPS THE SKULL AND IT'S CONTENTS APART because it is going THAT FAST. Seriously that shit is like 2000m/s, and the round is plenty big enough and heavy enough to keep going for a good while after it's already blasted through one zombie skull.

That said, I also want a Desert Eagle. I don't care if the thing breaks your hand every time you fire it, it will probably plow through the heads of like 80 zombies if they're lined up just right.
Not 2000M/s, more like... less than 1000, it is 2600 FPS I think, according to wikipedia, it it 750-890, but I think you have to use specific ones in the garand, if you use the wrong powder, it will mess it up.

The M1A would probably be a better choice though, think Garand with a 20 round box magazine, in .308 rather than .30-06. No more garand thumb for the clumsy people, and that many more zombies before you need to reload.

Shotguns would be good even with headshot zombies because a good shot to the neck or lower head might decapitate.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Shadies

« Reply #211 on: 01 Feb 2008, 04:24 »

Well the plan Im trying to spread around my hometown is to take over the costco in town. Its a warehouse with very few and well fortifide entrances. Food, supplies, space, flat roof. Also, across from us is a Wal Mart, Lowes, Jeep dealership, our own gas station and most importantly a small airport and military training area for helicopter pilots and such. So anyone near Salem Oregon you know where Ill be. We will try and create the most fortified Costco ever and if we fail then we will just fly out of there.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #212 on: 01 Feb 2008, 06:20 »

I wouldn't mind being roof guard if I get a grenade launcher. Even one of those old breech loaders would be good.

"Oh, look... a nice, thick zombie horde."
>THOOMP!<
>FUCKBOOM!<
"Oh, look... a nice, thick zombie marinara."

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #213 on: 01 Feb 2008, 08:00 »

My stance is that you shouldn't be taking potshots at range against zombies anyway since engaging should be a last resort kind of deal. The range is undoubtedly a drawback, but shotguns are pretty effective within 50 meters and with the right slugs even a smoothbore is pretty accurate up to 75 meters. And let's face it; how many of us here have the skill to feel very comfortable firing off bunches of valuable ammo from farther out than that?

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #214 on: 01 Feb 2008, 08:01 »

For fuck's sake, Shadies, get with the program. You never spread about your precise intended location. You keep it between close friends and loved ones at best, that's it. The last thing you need is to try and hole up in a warehouse with 75 other twats you don't really even like all that much. Good luck when you're running low on food inside of six months and tensions run high.

I've let it be known what my general locale will be, but I sure as shit ain't giving you pricks the exact location. With enough ingenuity, someone could figure out it's general area, but it'd take a bit of work. The hardest part for me would be getting to my location. I've plotted to keep it within a single gas tank's worth of travel so I wouldn't have to stop. Once I'm there, though, the location is in a large warehouse wholesale store with only one obvious entrance that could easily be barricaded with items from around the store. They sell generators and there's about five gas stations within a short move. I've got two hardware stores and a Wal-Mart within striking distance as well as multiple gun shops and auto/bike dealerships should things get hairy and we need to abandon our position. The locale is also relatively sparsely populated, so there's likely to be less zombies and the intended hideout would be less likely to be crowded with survivors as a good chunk of the population there is inbred, idiot hicks.

In terms of shit I'd be carrying on me? Mostly disposables. I'd try to keep a small calibur handgun on me for absolute emergencies. You don't want anything too big as it'll be a burden, making you move slower. On top of that, high calibur weapons are unweildy. You don't want to be carrying a .45 if you can't get off a headshot outside of 10 yards. A lower calibur weapon would have less recoil, making it easier to puncture the brain from slightly further away and would also be a quicker shot. I would rely a bit more heavily on a wood handled hatchet for must-kill situations with smaller groups. Primarily, though, I'd stick with a crowbar, but the back end, not the claw. People need to take a better cue from Shaun of the Dead. You don't need to be Ash fucking Williams people. You just need to get by the zombies, not slaughter them. Using a melee weapon to try and kill a zombie carries multiple risks. A claw hammer, hatchet or crowbar, for example, could quite possibly get stuck in the zombie's head if your follow through is too hard. While you're trying to dig the fucker out, you run the risk of being defenseless while other zombies move in on you. Best option is quick concussive strikes. Knock them in the head to get them down and just run the fuck away. Don't be a hero, just escape. A crowbar is quite probably the most effective for this. It's rather heavy, but unlikely to warp or break. You can use the claw for a kill if necessary, but it's one of the most effective bets for putting a zombie down long enough for you to put ample distance between it and yourself.

Remember, you can't be carrying an arsenal. If your aim is survival as opposed to taking as many with you as you can before they devour your sorry ass, small calibur handhelds are all you'll want. A rifle is useless in an escape situation as the sound will draw more to your area, so taking out ones blocking your path is a waste and you shouldn't be putting yourself in a situation where you can be potentially bottlenecked by them anyway. A small calibur for emergencies and a crowbar/hatchet combination is all you should be burdening yourself with. The hatchet and crowbar are also twofold useful for clearing debris and getting necessary firewood while on any long range trips. Overburdening yourself with additional weaponry only takes away valuable ration space. Improvisational weapons like large tree branches, bats and the like can be come across anywhere, but you don't want to risk travelling without some guarunteed clean food and water.

Another recommendation that's relatively extraneous, but wholly useful: A dog. If you have a dog, do not abandon them. This isn't even a matter of animal rights, this is a matter of usefulness. Animals can smell a threat, you cannot. You're going to need rest occasionally and a dog is as good as any proximity alarm. Dogs will bark at the sign of predators, typically. Have yourself ready to move at a moment's notice when catching a nap and that barking could save your life.

This brings me to transport. Overall, on foot is the safest practical means. You have complete manueverability and no burdens. A dirt bike or motorcycle would be a good alternative if you're on your own, particularly the former. They have low gas mileage, so you'd need less stops for travel and a dirt bike can go off road if need be.

Get your shit together people, zombie outbreaks are serious business.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #215 on: 01 Feb 2008, 08:05 »

Once again, Jon proves himself.

The rest of you will be ate while still arguing about what kind of gun you're going to have in your hands while you're dying.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #216 on: 01 Feb 2008, 08:16 »

I already know what I want my gun to be.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #217 on: 01 Feb 2008, 08:28 »

Also of note that's a smart idea to bring: Rags, a lighter, matches and some butane.

Aside from fire to cook, the rags make for useful portable distractions. Soak a rag in butane and shove it in a gas tank. Light the end and run like fuck. The ensuing explosion will serve as a good distraction for you to sneak by zombies while not wasting any ammo or anything. This is how I plan to make my way out of the city. Bring an extra bag of rags and butane that I can abandon at the city limits and then a little bit for emergencies on the road. Aside from the distraction, if the cars are gridlocked badly enough, you could cause a pretty big chain explosion that would probably take out a fair number of the zombies in your way. Considering one would be abandoning this locale anyway, collateral damage and fires are a reasonable risk.

Note, it's hella dangerous and not to be advised without taking into account your surroundings first.
JON MADE ME GAY

öde

« Reply #218 on: 01 Feb 2008, 08:45 »

Cars don't have explosives in them, Jon.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #219 on: 01 Feb 2008, 09:21 »

I'm sure I'll be fine, although the sidearms are likely to get some people eaten due to a false sense of security. Handguns are an utter bitch to use properly, aren't terribly accurate, are still easily loud enough to attract attention, and recoil doesn't matter as much as you'd think when using a rifle because recoil doesn't throw off your shot, it throws off your subsequent shots if you're firing off lots of rounds very quickly via semi-auto. While both weapons have manageable recoil with technique, screwing up with a decent caliber pistol tends to be easier AND hurt more than screwing up with a modest caliber (but still likely more powerful) rifle. Technique is really important with pistols; they're not as forgiving of sloppy technique as rifles are at modest ranges and if you don't grip the thing firmly enough the silly thing might not even cycle. Which, again, is why I advocate the pump action shotgun or bolt action rifle if you're not Dirty Harry; they're easy to use, easy to maintain and a n00b can kill things with it. Handguns are none of those things.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2008, 09:36 by Whipstitch »

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #220 on: 01 Feb 2008, 09:31 »

I meant it in reply to Obsessions, not your post, which is basically saying the same thing: longarms are waaay easier to be accurate with than pistols.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2008, 09:35 by Whipstitch »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #221 on: 01 Feb 2008, 10:10 »

My complaint towards larger sidearms and rifles isn't a matter of accuracy or technical skill, it's more a matter of burden.

If you're going gung ho and trying to hold ground on something, yeah, larger sidearms would be useful. However, when we're talking pure survival on the run, the only times you should be using a gun at all is in situations where you need to get off multiple shots at once, which is why recoil becomes a large factor. If a zombie's far enough away that the difference between a headshot on a rifle or handgun is relevant, you shouldn't be engaging to begin with. A firearm should be an emergency weapon. Whereas an automatic weapon would be a waste of ammo (Not to mention much harder to get ahold of for your average person) and a rifle would be impractical for close range fighting, a small calibur handgun would seem the more optimal choice. If you're only dealing with one or two zombies, you should just be taking a blunt instrument to their head in an effort to knock them out of your way and run, not standing your ground and tempting fate. A small calibur handgun will be a quicker shot, a lighter ammo and a quicker reload than much anything else you can easily get your hands on. The most important factor in any zombie encounter is a quick escape, not getting into a pissing contest with the undead. Remember, a handgun is classified typically as a self defense weapon for a reason. We're not playing offense on this.

Beyond the practicality of using and aquiring a firearm, we must remember one of the most important parts of survival: encumberance. The bigger and heavier your weapon is, the less additional supplies you can carry. A headshot's a headshot. A 9MM pistol is still likely going to do the job for you while weighing about a tenth of your average sidearm.

Also of importance, as noted briefly, you don't want to rely on luck. Anyways mentions he knows where to aquire an HK416, but what if it's gone by the time to reach the destination it's located or your route to it is impassable? For that matter, how do you get from where you are to where it is? If it's in your home and yours, fine and dandy, but if it belongs to someone else, it's probably been swiped already. A plan centered around a gun fails to note the horrible impracticality of aquiring one to begin with for your average survivor. A crowbar can be got at any department or hardware store, damn near everyone's got a hammer or a bat lying around. Looking around my office, I can see about a dozen things that could be used for a makeshift bludgeon to get me to somewhere I could stock up on the base supplies my plan revolves around, even being away from the home where I store all the stuff I routinely would plan around. Relying on a gun means relying on access to a specialty store that actually has them sitting around. If you're within a mile or two of a military base and don't have to trudge through hostile territory to get there, that's one thing. As it stands, though, if we want to play "best gun for the situation" regardless of one's ability to actually access it, one might as well say they'll wait it out in a freakin' tank.

I stress again, folks: Think practically. You are not John Rambo. You're not butting heads with enemy soldiers. You're up against slow moving, mindless drones that, while stronger than you and incredibly deadly, can be easily outsmarted. Don't outgun an enemy like that, outthink it.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #222 on: 01 Feb 2008, 10:29 »

Unless, of course, you run into other hostile survivors with guns. Then again, I'm from the heart of the midwest; the only thing in my room heavy enough to bludgeon someone to death with is a marlin .22 and my ATX midtower.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2008, 10:36 by Whipstitch »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #223 on: 01 Feb 2008, 10:32 »

your first mistake is that you will be grouping together with other humans.

your second mistake is that you told me where you were going to do it.

i'm am going to wait around in my secret fortress* and when i figure you are all dead/undead, i will move in and steal your supplies.

* i use the term "fortress" loosely
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #224 on: 01 Feb 2008, 11:02 »

Wouldn't thinking practically mean that you wouldn't be planning for a zombie apocalypse in the first place?
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #225 on: 01 Feb 2008, 11:08 »

Yeah, we'll see how practical we are when we stumble upon Kari devouring your fucking brains, Bryan.
JON MADE ME GAY

Cam

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #226 on: 01 Feb 2008, 12:11 »

The shotgun obviously does way more damage, but they rarely pack more than 8 shells fully loaded, and only extremely rare cases utilizes clips - most are manual feed, which is pretty damn unpractical if zombies are trying to munch on your innards. It's also lacking range.

You could always buy a Saiga-12.  It seems like it would be the ultimate in zombie slaying.  Hey guys, let's take an ak-47 and turn it into a shot gun.  Perfect!

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #227 on: 01 Feb 2008, 12:31 »

Yeah, we'll see how practical we are when we stumble upon Kari devouring your fucking brains, Bryan.

Somehow I feel pretty comfortable about taking my chances on that one.

Also, Kari lives like 2 hours away from me, dude. 8 hours for 3 months of the year, if you want to get technical.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #228 on: 01 Feb 2008, 12:46 »

Once you start getting into combat shotguns though the darned availability, cost and ease of maintenance thing begins to rear its head again, which is problematic since the only big advantages (Well, unless you're bird hunting) shotguns have over other weapons is simplicity of design, cost and reliability. There's really two big reasons why I suggested shotguns: in some parts of the country you can still get a pump action at Walmart and K-Mart for under $400 and they'll still definitely outperform handguns.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #229 on: 01 Feb 2008, 12:56 »

Anyone who uses a handgun against zombies deserves to die. It's painfully obvious they don't have the stopping power.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #230 on: 01 Feb 2008, 13:17 »

Dude, nothing short of a fucking grenade has the stopping power to kill a zombie unless you get off a headshot. As long as you're passably capable of getting off said headshot, anything you can sqeueze off a round into their skull with without endangering yourself further is enough.

I repeat, once more, your primary goal in the event of a zombie outbreak should be escape and subsequent survival, not playing at being John fucking Spartan. Outrun, outsmart, outlive.
JON MADE ME GAY

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #231 on: 01 Feb 2008, 13:33 »

It's so much easier to teach someone to consistently target a smallish area with a longarm than a sidearm that it borders upon the mind-boggling. Pistols are genuinely terrible weapons compared to other firearms.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #232 on: 01 Feb 2008, 13:36 »

See Hat, this is the part where everyone fucks up. Handguns have all the stopping power in the world you need as long as you aim for the head. You shoot these things in the body and they'd laugh at you if they still had it in them. You aim for the brain, which even for a zombie is the battery of it more or less.

Me and Jon after four of five of these chats for like an hour on gabbly still disagree on several points, but I think he's far more equipped to sruvive than anyone else on here (besides me and my rationale of course). But I still think his plan is doomed to failure. I've explained before that the entire point of my survival plan is to never stop moving, never settle down and "hole up". The moment you commit yourself to one spot and start building up defenses there you're stuck, that's it, goodbye. Give the zombies a chance to build up on you and they will, and then you'll be in a tower under seige. Doesn't matter if there's gas and supplies within a mile of your location if for 200 yards in every direction around you is a solid mass of the undead. Unless you've got tunneling skills or areadily accessible sewer system to get between these points you're still royally fucked. Not to mention that in order to not compromise the entire system you've got to be able to barricade all other places you're hoping to access, because even though zombies aren't the best at sneaking up, it'd be great if while you were at the local home improvement store and they pile up around the doors while you're doing your shopping you're caught away from your main stash of food and water and there's nothing you can do about it.

I do agree with him that a motorcycle would be the perfect way to escape from a major population center. Maneuverable and light, can get through places where cars can't and in many cases where they've tried. But it won't last forever. If you've got a place you're headed for, they'll work, but in my opinion the idea of a permanent locale is just downright stupid anyway, so once you've gotten out you need to find yourself heavier transport. The drawbacks to a motorcycle are the fact that you can't stock up on any significant amount of supplies, so you're forced to stick close to places where you can raid for food and water on a regular basis. Motorcycles and traveling on foot offer absolutely zero protection and armor, and no security when you get tired and need rest, you're like a naked baby plopped out in the middle of the woods when the wolves begin to howl at that point. And suppose this location you're already set for turns out to be a bust? Either the store itself is packed with zombies or someone else has beaten you to the punch and won't let you in, or you don't want to be let in on their rules and forced to try and survive with them when you'd be better off on your own (which you would). Or worse yet these locations are already looted out. Given the last isn't likely since you're counting on an early bird gets the worm scenario anyway. The motorcycle would no longer be a viable option given any of these factors however.

With a properly outfitted heavy vehicle you don't need luck, you have strength. True, gas mileage on a beast like I'm thinking would be horrible, but I would be carrying extra fuel wherever I went as part of the cargo of food, supplies and now possibly an extra lightweight vehicle, like a motorcycle or a dirtbike in case I really did have to abandon ship. Entrance to the vehicle would be restricted to top access only, with ladders on the side of the vehicle (since zombies can't climb ladders) to allow access to the top.This would be dangerous if I needed to get into the vehicle fast, but unlikely since I'll be in low population areas anyway. Windows removed and replaced by heavy wood and sheet metal, plexiglass on the front to allow heavier strength and maintain vision. A constucted plowlike wedge on the front of the vehicle to prevent buildup and blockage in the event of zombie pile-up and possibly to break through otherwise impossible obstacles. and finally solid-rubber wheels, to hold the extra weight and prevent any blowouts from happening ever. Of course, admittedly it'd take quite a bit to get a vehicle like this built up and properly maintained, and that would be the biggest flaw in my plan. I'd have to find a place where I could get the right kind of vehicle and have somewhere to hole up with the tools and supplies in order to properly outfit it. But this is my best-case scenario plan, and even if it takes a long time for me to procure one of these I'm still planning on heading south and west, to open country, to allow for all the escape routes I could ever want, the open freedom, and a nomadic lifestyle to stay forever one-step ahead of the zombies.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #233 on: 01 Feb 2008, 13:42 »

Once again, you don't want to be consistantly shooting to begin with. Thinking in a survivalist mentality, guns should, without exception, be an absolute last resort. If you're far enough away from them that you need anything but a pistol to get off a headshot, you should not be engaging them at all.

I've used a gun once in my life and that was a .357. Relatively unweildy even as handguns go and my hands are far from steady. I was still able to shoot a bottle from at least thirty or forty feet. If they're any further away than that, there is absolutely no reason to engage them, you should be soldiering on.

Also of note: I'm talking primarily your standard ZSG style zombie. If you want to debate 28 Days Later style zombies, well...my entire plan for that would be to run to the roof of my building and jump the fuck off. That's a doomsday scenario that would essentially either render us extinct inside two years or leave the human race so decimated and spread out there'd be almost no hope of ever repopulating. The only reason they survived in the first movie is because it was on an island and even that ending was a bit implausible. Had a dozen or so of those fuckers raided the place, it would've gone exactly like the opening to the sequel.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2008, 13:55 by 0bsessions »
JON MADE ME GAY

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #234 on: 01 Feb 2008, 14:03 »

Jon's right, you don't want to be looking at guns at all as a primary weapon. They're good for picking off single targets when alone and from a small distance, or once you're holed up for keeping buildup from happening around your territory.

Myself I would probably love to have a rifle with a scope should I be able to fit it into my vehicle for hunting (still living animals), to keep from relying too much on raiding and be able to keep it down to once every two weeks so I don't have to be near cities very often. Dried or salted meat can be kept for months, and as long as I find the occasional fuit grove or plant somewhere I can keep malnutrition and scurvy away.

Speaking of, since your plan is to hold down somewhere I do have the tip Jon that once you are there try and systematically wipe out what native zombie population is in your area, and once you've downed them to separate their heads with your axe and create a mass grave somewhere a couple miles away from where you're actually holed up. The less smell there is of rotting meat about the fewer zombies attracted to the area anyway I'd think. And the separating head from body I think is just a good overall safety precaution anyway, even if the head somehow remains alive its gonna have a much harder time biting you.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #235 on: 01 Feb 2008, 14:06 »

Dude, nothing short of a fucking grenade has the stopping power to kill a zombie

I disagree with you here - a grenade is a terrible weapon for zombies. The primary purpose of a grenade is to send lots and lots of shrapnel into (living) human bodies. It doesn't really matter where the shrapnel enters, because so much of it gets into the body that the person dies. Against zombies, however, shrapnel in the body does absolutely nothing. As you said Jon, headshots are what you want. The chances of getting a lethal amount of shrapnel from the explosion into the head are slim. You're just going to end up with a lot of zombies with body parts missing; you'll have to go around and shoot each one in the head anyway. Secondly, the amount of noise a grenade makes will alert every zombie within a huge radius. So provided that you get a grenade (where the fuck are you going to get a grenade anyway? And who'd want to carry them around?), it goes off properly and even manages to take out a few zombies, you'd better get the fuck outta there, and fast.

Boro, man, where the fuck are you going to be able to drive that thing? It certainly won't have off-road capabilities. The roads are going to be completely clogged with abandoned vehicles - do you really want to risk crashing into every single one to move it out of the way, repeatedly damaging your vehicle? Plus, it'll probably use diesel fuel - those engines are much louder than normal cars. I agree in that an armoured vehicle can be a good refuge for a night or two, but I highly disagree that you can survive long-term in it. What happens when you're surrounded by zombies, out of fuel, out of food and out of ammo? Do you use the one bullet you (always, always{/i] should) save on yourself?

Jon said it best: you're there to survive, not be a hero. Outrun, outsmart, outlive.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #236 on: 01 Feb 2008, 14:14 »

Once again matt, You have to consider where I'll be driving. The idea is to not have this vehicle when I am close to major population centers, or on major highways near them where the roads truly will be clogged for miles and miles. I have an extremely detailed Road atlas of the United States that tells me every road that is paved, and many many that aren't. I'm not going to try and use this thing on I-95. I will keep moving, but not by the shortest routes possible. There is a spiderweb across every part of the united states of roads that will be empty and silent, and those are the ones I'm going to use. True, they aren't the quickest routes but with this vehicle it'll be quick enough to outrun zombies (zombies can still only go as fast as normal humans when running, and they aren't trackstars, no form). I don't need to be pushing 80 to get to where I need to go, and the armored nature of the vehicle would make up for its speed and loudness. And once I am away from large cities I won't have to worry what fucking road I'm driving on.

You do know that the US is a big fucking place right?

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #237 on: 01 Feb 2008, 14:30 »

If there was a zombie uprising I would be on the zombies team. You people are horrible. Read over your posts, and decide for yourself who the real monsters are. Zombies are just trying to make a god damn living the only way they know how, like any fucking other person.

What if being a zombie isn't so bad? There aren't really zombies(yet), so who's to say what it's really like to be a zombie? What if it's a state of nirvana?
Zombies are people too, and if you deny them that right then you're a fucking bigot. This thread has tales of extreme violence. It makes me fucking sick. I'm going to fucking vomit, you people.

WE WILL FUCKING WRECK YOU!

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #238 on: 01 Feb 2008, 14:50 »

Fighting is always a last resort, and if that's the case I'm not going to be fucking around with a claw hammer and risk getting infected. You have to allow for setbacks too; if zombies are between you and fuel and food then well, you might have to shoot something.

Anyway, as far as vehicles are concerned, I'd go the predictable hick route again; a light pickup truck (with a bed cover, of course; last thing I want to do is make it easier for a zombie to hitch a ride) has a fairly decent combination of fuel efficiency and storage, and it'd be a helluva lot easier to "acquire" a shitty ford ranger or something in an emergency than a zombie crushing super vehicle.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #239 on: 01 Feb 2008, 14:53 »

I am a horrible person, I know I am.  But am I so horrible for killing a creature that was once a human being who died but is back up walking?

Also, I'm just going to say, the majority of you are pretty fucked anyway.  Why, you ask?  Becaue the Zombacalypse has already started.  The mutagen/virus is in our drinking water.  Filtering the water does almost nothing.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

DelusionalBlues

« Reply #240 on: 01 Feb 2008, 15:12 »

I've been drinking my own piss for 4 years now so I don't have to worry about that.

Boro, your truck sounds well-equiped, but how likely is it that you alone would be able to make the necessary modifications to it? Do you plan to roam the coasts, fleeing from city to city and hoping you'll find a gas pump that hasn't been emptied out already?

I would probably stick to the middle of the country, or perhaps a northern remote part next to water and has cold weather (does the cold slow down zombies? Could they freeze?) and enough vegetation and wildlife to support me for awhile - depending on the severity of the scenario, it's highly unlikely I would meet another human being again for my lifetime. Traps and rudimentary weapons would become more valuable to me than guns, since guns are noisy and require ammunition that might not be easily replaceable.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #241 on: 01 Feb 2008, 15:23 »

yes, they will freeze much much easier than us since they are not cirulating warm blood. cold places are good.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #242 on: 01 Feb 2008, 15:28 »

if zombies are between you and fuel and food then well, you might have to shoot something.

fuel ,shoot

fuel ,shoot

God fucking damn it, people!

Am I the only one here who's playing Resident Evil 3?
JON MADE ME GAY

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #243 on: 01 Feb 2008, 15:34 »

I admit, the super vehicle idea is once again best-case scenario/built on for a couple years type thing. And at first I'd probably be aiming for something along those lines Whip. Pickup with large cab or bed cover, Van, SUV or anything with storage space to me is still a far better idea than just a motorcycle to me for longer trips than one tank of gas will cover. I still think it needs horsepower and height though. Being in a low to the ground car I just don't think is a good idea. Zombies piling themselves all-around on top of it just seems a far too likely scenario.

And no, I'm actually planning on sticking to the southwest regions of the US, Utah, Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico. Myriad of small towns and even the higher likelyhood of havens in that region since it would take a longer time for an infection to reach that area (unless that's where it starts, then I might consider the north into areas of low-population in Canada, assuming they haven't found a way to keep the infection from jumping the border and have it on lockdown).

And as far as modifications to the vehicle would go, I've learned from my dad and from classes when I was still in high school how to weld and build shit, with a good set of power tools and the right materials I could perform the necessary upgrades.

Anyone think it would be cool to set up a basic checklist of skills it would take for the average person to increase their chances of surviving the zombie apocalypse? Things like knowing how to hotwire a vehicle, basic vehicle upkeep, foraging skills, knowing how to shoot a gun etc.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #244 on: 01 Feb 2008, 15:43 »

Not by bullets anyway. You stick a burning piece of petrol-soaked rag into on and it will.

Edit: I really really need to read the Zombie Survival Guide Damnit.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #245 on: 01 Feb 2008, 16:13 »

So Obsession, what is it you plan on having your magical motorcycle run on if not fuel? Motorcycles have great mileage, but they typically don't have gigantic gas tanks and sooner or later you need fuel or to abandon the thing entirely. Actually, their range is rather limited, come to think of it, and what does fuel economy matter if you're not paying for the gas and can load up a few loads of auxiliary cans and toss 'em in the flatbed? I totally understand how your plan is "Run away!" and "Continue to run away!", but I get kind of confused on how you're going to live off the land or whatever with a shitty handgun, a dirt bike and the experience of having shot a .357 at a can one time. Common sense ≠ Contingency plan.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2008, 16:23 by Whipstitch »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #246 on: 01 Feb 2008, 16:19 »

Sunshine and farts.
JON MADE ME GAY

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #247 on: 01 Feb 2008, 16:47 »

His plan isn't to run away, its to use a fast and manueverable mode of transportation over a relatively short distance (one tank of gas to get there) and then to hole up inside of a large building full of canned goods/dry foodstuffs and various other supplies. The plan has some merit to it like I've said before, and the few problems I see with it are really almost a matter of taste. If he can stand to be holed up in a place like that more power to him.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #248 on: 01 Feb 2008, 18:06 »

I can't imagine I would be amazing at firing a gun, my hands shake like fuck at the best of times and unless I have my glasses I can't see that well at anything more than about 50m away. What I do know is that if I was to use a lightweight compound bow with a draw of at least 40lbs I can put an arrow through a bullseye at about 50m - 60m without being able to see clearly. Put a zoom site on that and it gets a bit further, otherwise if I'm wearing my glasses it would improve greatly. The biggest problem would be carrying and retrieving arrows. Obviously you would be able to get them back from anything you killed with the intention of eating it but otherwise you're probably going to want to have huge stockpile with you or learn how to make them.

Also, all you guys talking about how you are not in the best shape and how guns are heavy, the Zombiepocalypse is the best reason to start hitting the gym.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #249 on: 01 Feb 2008, 18:47 »

I don't have great eyesight but I can see a zombie's head from 50m away and my hands are steady enough to do half-decent detail painting on small-scale model airplanes. That's all I need.

The question is, will I be able to maintain such a steady hand under pressure of having my brain eaten? Probably not. Instinct will probably take over and I'll just shoot at anything without being careful about aim.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Up