THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 06:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BLUHHHH LINUX BLUHHHH  (Read 7606 times)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
BLUHHHH LINUX BLUHHHH
« on: 24 Mar 2008, 07:21 »

Since nobody else has.

pc - mac - linux
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
Re: BLUHHHH LINUX BLUHHHH
« Reply #1 on: 24 Mar 2008, 10:34 »

Those are funny (and pretty accurate), but they're not as funny as the FairNuff Mac Spoofs, which also feature, shall we say, the other side of Linux.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2008, 18:16 »

Am I nerdy by knowing exactly what both those links referred to without actually clicking on them?

Slash I'm pretty sure we did see the first one before. They were in some mac discussion, at the bottom, someone semi-revived it by adding those links? May have been the discussion about the Air.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2008, 20:34 »

The Fairnuff ones are pretty good, but the actual parody Youtube one has been done to death. I like the Linux advertisements because they're actually Linux advertisements. This makes them more entertaining, because the world will end up watching Novell make fun of the other two on-screen.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2008, 21:01 »

But WAIT!!! There's more!!!

Run Linspire

Lindows Rock

Edit:  And I think that "high performance open-source sentient mobile workstation" should be added as an official title for the forum. 
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2008, 21:58 by celticgeek »

notselfcreated

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2008, 23:11 »

the first one is great; the second one is kind of meh.

I did some digging on youtube and found this great IBM ad from 2003: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwL0G9wK8j4

I'm sort of surprised there aren't any official ads for Ubuntu, since that seems to be the "premiere" distro of choice lately--I love it.

cabose

« Reply #6 on: 03 Apr 2008, 18:25 »

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #7 on: 03 Apr 2008, 20:06 »

Hilarious.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #8 on: 09 Apr 2008, 11:55 »

Guys, I am now a Linux user! I don't know how long it will last, as there are plenty of things that I don't think I can get used to, but I'm going to try it out for a while.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: 09 Apr 2008, 12:36 »

Awesome! What distro?
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #10 on: 09 Apr 2008, 13:43 »

Ubuntu!

Ubuntu is pretty rad, guys.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #11 on: 09 Apr 2008, 14:13 »

It is pretty nice, yes. Strange but good. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get my wireless internet working and replace all the music I lost.
Liz is touching me.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: 09 Apr 2008, 14:47 »

I tried to install Ubuntu once, but it wouldnt let me do anything I wanted so I went back to crazy distros that only work half the time.

I do have Mandriva on one computer, though. As far as I could tell, it's like Ubuntu but not crazy.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 09 Apr 2008, 17:58 »

Can anyone recommend a program that will play DVDs? I have Totem but I can't figure out how to install the plugins that will let it play my movies, so it's not really working out.
Liz is touching me.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #14 on: 09 Apr 2008, 18:05 »

Um I use xine. That doesn't come with Ubuntu?

http://xinehq.de/

EDIT: Wait Totem is just the xine frontend for GNOME. Maybe you just need help installing the plugins?
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2008, 18:07 by GenericName »

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #15 on: 09 Apr 2008, 20:35 »

Pretty much, yeah. I keep finding tutorials but none of them make any sense. I feel silly.
Liz is touching me.

MillionDollar Belt Sander

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #16 on: 09 Apr 2008, 21:06 »

http://ubuntuforums.org/

All shall be answered within.  I am Epic Plecostomus there.

Ubuntu, once you get it up and running will reward you with the utmost stability under the worst conditions you can throw at it.

If you intend to try Ubuntu DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT to dual-boot,  do one or the other.  Either the Ubuntu process will eat your Windows, or Windows will suddenly corrupt your Ubuntu partition.   AND BE SURE TO BACK UP EVERYTHING.

I've been running Ubuntu for 18 months now, I'll never go back to Windows full time....  Windows is nice but I can take Ubuntu apart and tweek it at the atomic level.   Can't really do that with Windows.   I keep XP on the other laptop for the rare program I can't run in WINE.

*shrug*  What is right for you?  It depends if you want to take the time to build an operating system or if you want a pre-assembled solution.   If you aren't really technosavy or have little patients for learning then stick with XP.   

That said, the solution to your wireless problem Misconception will be found on the forum.   AND they will explain it to you.   They are very good at that. 

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #17 on: 10 Apr 2008, 03:40 »

If you intend to try Ubuntu DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT to dual-boot,  do one or the other.  Either the Ubuntu process will eat your Windows, or Windows will suddenly corrupt your Ubuntu partition.   AND BE SURE TO BACK UP EVERYTHING.

I have to disagree, but not about backing up first. Always make backups. I been dual-booting Linux (Slackware) and Windows for 5 years and have had no problems. In fact the only time I had problems was when I tried multi-booting with FreeBSD, but FreeBSD is known to prefer having a disk to itself.

There is one major gotcha though. Linux writes a boot loader (usually GRUB) to the Master Boot Record (MBR) which allows easy dual-booting. If you reinstall Windows, it will overwrite the MBR, so your Linux installation will remain unavailable until you either reinstall Linux or run a repair from the install disk, depending on the Linux distribution you use. This is why you always install Windows first on a dual-boot machine. Vista might also complain a bit about the Linux boot loader, as Vista doesn't like stuff changing the MBR, that can be easily sorted though.

Translated from Geek: Windows can overwrite something that Linux needs so always reinstall Linux after reinstalling Windows.

As for Misconception's problem playing DVD's, thats possibly because Ubuntu dosn't install the software for decoding DVD's (legal issues). The Ubuntu Wiki might help.

PS does anyone else think that the woman in that Novell Linux ad looks like the stoner in the old Apple "Switch" ads.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2008, 03:54 by Eternal_Newbie »
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #18 on: 10 Apr 2008, 08:37 »

I got movies to play! So that is good, I like that. Now if I can just get my wireless card working I think I will be set with Linux. I'm moving into an apartment in a month that has wireless internet, so I kinda need it going by then. Bleh. We'll see what happens.
Liz is touching me.

trebach

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #19 on: 14 Apr 2008, 12:35 »

The easiest thing is to use ndiswrapper, which should be provided in the install. You need to give it the XP network driver for it to work. Depending on the version of Ubuntu you installed, there may be a Windows Wireless drivers tool in System -> Administration to make the process a lot easier.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #20 on: 14 Apr 2008, 15:05 »

I used Ubuntu for an entire year (I still have it on another partition) but for some reason it stopped reading my ntfs media drive that i have which stores all my music etc and is ntfs so that I can also read it from my windows partition. So now, instead of worrying about it, I'm ignoring the problem, using windows, and studying.

@ Misconception:

you are a very brave soul.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Shremedy

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2008, 10:38 »

I own the following machines, installed the following distros:
Primary home desktop - cpu=2.4Ghz Celeron, ram=640MB, distro=PCLinuxOS 2007 (not my first choice for myself, but MEPIS had issues with video card)  WAS WinXP-home.
Secondary (basement) desktop - cpu=P3/500, ram=192MB, distro=Zenwalk 5.0  WAS Win98 and a variety of other distros.   My test box.
Laptop - Compaq Presario V2000, cpu=AMD1300+, ram=384MB, Dual boot WinXP-pro/SimplyMEPIS 7.0 (my #1 distro choice)
Work Desktop - Dell L933r, cpu=P3/933, ram=128, distro=SAM Linux (a PCLOS remaster using XFCE)  WAS WinME

Machines I volunteer to admin for a local coffeeshop:
One - IBM Netvista 6841, cpu=P3/1000, ram=384MB, distro=PCLinuxOS 2007 (my #1 choice for newbies and general public use)  WAS Win2k
Two - generic P3/1000, ram=384, Win2k (haven't brought myself to convert it yet)
Three - Dell Optiplex GX1/500S, cpu=P3/500, ram=128MB, distro=SAM Linux  WAS WinXP and slow as hell, now keeps up easily with Two.

Registered Linux User #459491
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #22 on: 16 May 2008, 14:04 »

Two Linux computers in my house:

Mine:  Red Seven R7 S3000;  3.0 GHz Athlon AM2 64; 4 GByte RAM; Fedora 8/64

My wife's: Gateway 554GE, 3.4 GHZ Pentium; 2 GByte RAM; Fedora 8/32

Registered Linux User# 392268

Per your signature
Pages: [1]   Go Up