THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 08:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Call of Duty 4  (Read 30953 times)

Melodic

• Only pretending to work
  • archive chin panties
Call of Duty 4
« on: 05 Nov 2007, 20:36 »

COD4 came out today, and I've been debating whether to pick it up. I liked the atmosphere that Infinity Ward's COD games set (they didn't work on 3), and I love me some tactical shooters. I've been hearing for awhile now that the PC version is a port, so I think my money is wafting towards a 360 title.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
Re: Call of Duty 4
« Reply #1 on: 05 Nov 2007, 20:39 »

The buzz has been pretty big towards this game, for sure. I haven't seen any reviews yet, though. I am kind of at a point where I think I've exhausted my desire for shooters for the time being between Bioshock, Halo, and the Orange Box. If I do pick this game up, it will probably be in a while after I've already finished Fire Emblem, Super Mario Galaxy, and Mass Effect.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Narr

« Reply #2 on: 05 Nov 2007, 22:40 »

I doubt my computer could run CoD4, else I'd get it.  I absolutely loved the first one and remember vividly when I said "this game's engine would be fucking awesome with modern weapons"

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #3 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:45 »

I've already played about half of it on Hardened in only 3 hours.  It's a really short Single Player game, but I swear to god you'll love every minute of it.  Some of the shit they throw in there just blows your mind.  The multiplayer is also damn good.  Think Call of Duty 2's gametypes meets Battlefield 2's persistent stats system (unlocking weapons and perks as you go up the ranks).  It's totally worth it.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2007, 02:29 »

I'm on an an annoying SAS mission in some country that starts "Ar..". Gave it a break at 1:30AM to play some multiplayer. I like it, but damned if I can get a single fucking sniper kill.
And if you played too hard it'd flop out and dangle around by the wire and that is just super ugly

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2007, 07:38 »

Ghillies In The Mist and it's subsequent level have got to be one of the best levels EVAR.  That second one is harder than...a........a very hard thing!
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2007, 09:34 »

I think that I don't like the multiplayer. People have been using the term "fast-paced" to describe it, but I prefer "arcadey". People move around balls-quickly and the gameplay shifts so suddenly that I'm either left stranded or in between two bad guys and a hard place. The Sniper kit is effectively useless when anyone has an assault rifle, and the shotgun doesn't do a lick of good. The maps are small and irritatingly conventional in terms of layout.

The single player does rock, though.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2007, 13:40 »

FN P90 == win. <3 close quarters.

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2007, 11:55 »

I want it insanely bad.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2007, 13:48 »

I may have to take back every bad thing I've said about CoD4's multiplayer. After getting used to it, Sniper is still my favorite class. Some maps just suck (Shipment for one), but plenty (like Crossfire) are bloody brilliant.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2007, 20:05 »

I just beat it, and it kicks ass.  Those were some epic god-damned firefights.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2007, 20:42 »

The last level is so f***ing irritating. So many damn corners inside...

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2007, 06:23 »

Are you talking about the "last" level or the last level?

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:08 »

Don't buy the 360 version. You know the PC version will have better controls and mods which will extend both single and multiplayer games far beyond the point of the 360 version. It's not a port, it was just developed at the same time (and I think by a different team of people). I always argue for PC over console for the aforementioned better controls and mods but also for the general support of the industry (not to mention the graphical advantage PCs have over the consoles).
I will probably pick this up around Christmas time when I have a bit more money to spare. It's nice to see it's not yet another WWII European front game.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2007, 13:22 »

me and a friend rented this for 360 and it was pretty fun. the entire sniper level is amazing start to finish. that's about as far as i got though. i didn't wanna ruin it because the non-sniper parts i played weren't nearly as fun.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2007, 20:16 »

I meant the "last" level. The last level was piss-easy, even on Hardened. SPOILERS BITCHES.

The "last" level is such a pain in the ass because of ONE area where there are hallways leading to circular platforms. Badguys hide EVERYWHERE. Fuckin'...

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2007, 20:36 »

Yeah, that took me about 20 tries on hardened to conquer.  The last level took me almost as long because I was concerned with killing everyone first.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2007, 21:43 »

I don't even understand that last level. Is it just setting us up for COD5?

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #18 on: 15 Nov 2007, 00:28 »

Barely started playing, like third real mission, but I like it so far. Although the endless streams of enemies are a little tiresome.

The indoor parts are, to put it lightly, intense.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #19 on: 15 Nov 2007, 05:33 »

I don't even understand that last level. Is it just setting us up for COD5?

I think it was just to let you know that your character survived...

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #20 on: 16 Nov 2007, 18:46 »

Cannot.. stop.. playing online.

Rank 24. One more and I'm a 2nd Lt. Yay for bars.

Oh, yeah, beat the game the day I bought it (launch). Such a fucking good story-line. And that first level, on the ship. Repelling in the rain onto the ship was god awfully beautiful in HD.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #21 on: 19 Nov 2007, 09:53 »

So my computer's specs aren't amazing, but apart from that this game ran perfectly. And the story is amazing, and the landscapes are amazing, and it was so much fun. The level where you're a sniper (15 years ago) bejeesh, brilliantly done.

I'm thinking of buying a legit version to play online, but exams are around the corner.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #22 on: 19 Nov 2007, 19:54 »

Online will consume your soul. Only 10 more levels till I get my Berret!

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #23 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:34 »

Yeah. Level 26.. 2nd Lt 2 (which sounds silly). I need a clan, or something.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #24 on: 03 Dec 2007, 14:26 »

The online for this game has consumed my entire life. it's all i wanna do, all the time. all my dreams are about this game now.

i keep having a recurring dream (nightmare?) where i see a sniper run past me and i run up to knife him but i miss. so i keep chasing him, swinging my knife but he won't die and doesn't realize i'm behind him. he then proceeds to lay down right in front of me, looking directly at me so i just shoot him over and over again but he won't die and he doesn't even try to kill me.
it's maddening.

oh yeah, gamertag's Captain Dino if you wanna play.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #25 on: 03 Dec 2007, 18:25 »

The assassination bit was really well pulled off. I watched a friend do this, then played through to the beginning of the first American level. This is definitely a game that I want.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Marneus90

• Plantmonster
  • I found Jesus. He was in the kitchen.
« Reply #26 on: 03 Dec 2007, 23:56 »

I second the motion saying the sniper level is the best one in the entire game. I'm level 33 online, I believe. Not been playing an aweful lot, but I blame TF2 for that. Can't wait to get my P90 though. That gun is made of awesome and win!
98% of people believe the statistics in people's signatures. If you're one of the 2% who dont, copy and paste this into your sig.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #27 on: 04 Dec 2007, 16:22 »

I'm level 33 online, I believe. Not been playing an aweful lot

That's like 16 hours of play. >.<

clockworkjames

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Grammar Nazi vs Illiterate Jew
« Reply #28 on: 05 Dec 2007, 03:19 »

level 42 online or something, I just unlocked the deagle.

I also finished it on hardened and started playing through it on vet first because the computer told me to (got 17 secs on training). Going to go back and find all the intelligence in easy mode as veteran is stupidly hard.

So much awesome though, I love it and a body count similar to a game of defcon.
still new here, didn't wanna piss anyone off

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #29 on: 05 Dec 2007, 23:23 »

Topped level 55 a couple of nights ago. I play on a server called [SM] Mixed Gametypes, plenty of nice guys if you ever want to join up. That is, assuming someone other than me bought the PC version.

ackblom12

« Reply #30 on: 06 Dec 2007, 17:51 »

I just bought the PC version and I have to say, this is the first COD I've liked, and I'm absolutely in love with the single player at least.

Though, I made the mistake of starting out on Veteran difficulty, and it's resulted in lots and lots of checkpoint loads and loud frothy rants directed at the computer screen.

Marneus90

• Plantmonster
  • I found Jesus. He was in the kitchen.
« Reply #31 on: 07 Dec 2007, 06:16 »

Though, I made the mistake of starting out on Veteran difficulty, and it's resulted in lots and lots of checkpoint loads and loud frothy rants directed at the computer screen.

"You were killed by an exploding car."

I WAS NOWHERE NEAR THE FUCKING THING WHEN IT BLEW UP, WHAT A STUPID PECE OF SHIT GRAGH RIP AND TEAR!

Something like that?
98% of people believe the statistics in people's signatures. If you're one of the 2% who dont, copy and paste this into your sig.

ackblom12

« Reply #32 on: 07 Dec 2007, 11:32 »

If you add in a few more curse words and some ruptured vessels, then yes.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #33 on: 24 Dec 2007, 16:34 »

I've only played multiplayer of this so far and it already ranks as one of my favorite multiplayer FPSes of all time. This is a major moment in online FPS design, comparable to Quake, Team Fortress, or Counterstrike.

I loved the single player of CoD2 so I'm eager to get into the single player for this when I get home on my own 360 too.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #34 on: 24 Dec 2007, 18:04 »

You're in for a treat.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #35 on: 25 Dec 2007, 10:23 »

You probably should be dying that often, actually.

At least, that was my experience with CoD2. I refused to play it on any other difficulty but Veteran because it made it so much more fun. A couple of bullets and you were dead. It forces you to think fast and strategically rather than going all Rambo.

EDIT:

Oh man. I finally got a 7 Kill Streak. That last kill before you get the helicopter is SO nervewracking. It's intense!

Ended up 14-2 that match and got several challenges done. ^_^
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2007, 17:10 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #36 on: 26 Dec 2007, 15:52 »

spoilerz

Is the Marine you play suppose to die after the nuke goes off?

end spoilerz

Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Narr

« Reply #37 on: 26 Dec 2007, 19:32 »

If the gameplay isn't any different than other COD titles, I want to get it so I can show you guys a thing or two about badassedness (is that a word?).  I was godlike in the original COD (as in would frequently go 50 and 2 on public servers and would somehow manage above a 2/1 KDR even in clan vs. clan matches) and wonder if my old skills would carry over into the new one.

You said they implemented a knife?  That saddens me.  I took no greater joy than whacking the helmet off an enemy sniper with my BAR in the first one.  Butts of weapons are so much more stylish!

Narr

« Reply #38 on: 26 Dec 2007, 20:21 »

Well, I did like to collect Dogtags with my knife in Battlefield 2142.  I'm sure I'd love it one way or another.  A lot of my IRL friends tell me I play FPS games wrong because I enjoy the melee combat in them a little too much, but then again they see me waltz into a hallway in TF2 as a Heavy with my fists blazing and get a good 3 KOs before I am finally downed.

UR DOIN IT RONG

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #39 on: 26 Dec 2007, 23:30 »

This game was on sale at Target today for 37 dollars (which for the console versions is nearly half price), and since I was there while HDTV shopping, I grabbed a copy. Been playing the single player campaign for the past couple of hours, and I just finished the mission where you defend the tank. I'm a little intimidated by the multiplayer, because I'm afraid coming in nearly two months late everyone is going to smoke me and I'll never get the chance to get good at it.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #40 on: 26 Dec 2007, 23:56 »

Don't worry about the newbie curve too much on multiplayer. It's not nearly as painful as crap like CS or Halo. Your team knows that you don't have nearly the weapon selection, perk selection, or skills that they have yet. It's actually easier to ease in whenever you can just blame it on the fact that you're a low level rather than a terrible player, even though higher levels just mean more options, not necessarily better gear.

Also, the melee is HIGHLY ENTERTAINING if a bit overpowered. I made a ninja class with UAV Jamming and a silenced pistol and managed to take out an entire building of the other team without taking a shot.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Melodic

• archive chin panties
« Reply #41 on: 27 Dec 2007, 11:18 »

Actually, the whole "low level equals crappy guns" theory is shot out the window when you use an M16 with Red Dot, at least for the PC version. That rifle is fucking beastly good.

Oli

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #42 on: 27 Dec 2007, 11:47 »

The level you get once finishing the actual single player in the plane seems to be pretty much impossible in veteran. It's fair enough the enemies being harder but fuck me a minute is nowhere near enough time.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #43 on: 27 Dec 2007, 13:05 »

Shooting the dude in the back of the head at the end was awesome.

I need to get cable at my new place so I can try this online.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2007, 13:06 by jeph »
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #44 on: 27 Dec 2007, 14:18 »

This game was on sale at Target today for 37 dollars (which for the console versions is nearly half price), and since I was there while HDTV shopping, I grabbed a copy. Been playing the single player campaign for the past couple of hours, and I just finished the mission where you defend the tank. I'm a little intimidated by the multiplayer, because I'm afraid coming in nearly two months late everyone is going to smoke me and I'll never get the chance to get good at it.

You are usually put in with other players around the same rank as you.  Occasionally you will be playing with a high level but it doesn't make much of a difference.

The players are mostly nice, and will help you out when you ask a question.  But of course, there will always be the one guy talking about the world's largest blunt he smoked. 
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

Narr

« Reply #45 on: 27 Dec 2007, 17:36 »

Actually, the whole "low level equals crappy guns" theory is shot out the window when you use an M16 with Red Dot, at least for the PC version. That rifle is fucking beastly good.
That's one thing I've always liked about the COD games.  There's no such thing as a bad weapon, they just behave differently.  If you could get skilled enough with it, the M1A1 Carabine in the original was probably the best weapon in multiplayer, as it behaved as an inbetween for just about every weapon time while still allowing you fast moving speed.  It just didn't do a lot of damage a shot, but when you nail someone in the face that doesn't really matter.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #46 on: 28 Dec 2007, 07:52 »

I just played through the sniper level, where you're in Chernobyl. Holy hell that was awesome. Ridiculously hard, but the most fun I've ever had in a first-person shooter.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #47 on: 28 Dec 2007, 09:47 »

Depending on the system you're playing on, let's set up a COD4 game online. I'm playing on the 360, so my Live account is WaywardGamer. I know we have a thread specifically for doing this already, but we should be able to do this specifically for playing Call of Duty 4.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #48 on: 28 Dec 2007, 11:34 »

I am down for a QC game. I finally fixed my home network so that I can use XBL when at home OR at school now, so I should be online both while in school and on vacation. I'm definitely going to be online a lot for the next week or so since I'm not going back to school until the 7th. I just started playing the multiplayer yesterday, so I'm still pretty bad, but I somehow got to rank 11, so I'm starting to unlock some stuff. My tag is Lilarcor.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #49 on: 28 Dec 2007, 11:42 »

Oh, hell. Bryan, do you realize we now have the same multiplayer game for the same platform at the same time?

Also, it's nice that you don't have to be particularly good to get xp and level up, it just makes it go faster.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up