THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Rock Band  (Read 82540 times)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Rock Band
« on: 06 Nov 2007, 15:40 »

The website has been updated with a shitload of stuff.

Guitar Hero 3 seems so bland after watching some of those videos.

Two weeks!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
Re: Rock Band
« Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2007, 15:53 »

They have demos of guitar / drum up at Best Buys now. The UI isn't as flashy as Guitar Hero's but the animation looked a lot better (actual lip-synching yay) and the drums were obviously pretty fun to use.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2 on: 06 Nov 2007, 15:58 »

I think in terms of feature set and whatnot Rock Band is a much more attractive package, but I have 3 problems:

A) Cost. 170 dollars as a fucking lot for one game, no matter how you look at what you're getting.
B) Setlist. It just isn't very good. I know that the DLC will offer tons of new songs, but it goes without saying that you'll have to pay for it. Having to pay for songs because they couldn't get good ones on the disc sort of irritates me.
C) Space. I live in a cramped dorm room already, I have no idea where I'd fit all this shit.

Honestly, there are enough other games out there I'll probably just skip them both and make my decision as to which, if either, I'll get over the summer when there are no games coming out again.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #3 on: 06 Nov 2007, 20:05 »

Yeah, I like the set list for Guitar Hero III a lot better.  But Rock Band's gameplay looks far more interesting.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #4 on: 08 Nov 2007, 23:58 »

DLC update:

The Police pack:
"Roxanne"
"Synchronicity II"
"Can't Stand Losing You"

Queens of the Stone Age pack:
"3s and 7s"
"Sick Sick Sick"
"Little Sister"

Metallica pack:
Three or six songs, none announced yet

Black Sabbath pack:
"N.I.B." (cover)
"Sweet Leaf" (cover)
"War Pigs" (cover)

David Bowie pack:
"Moonage Dream"
"Heroes"
"Queen Bitch"

Punk pack:
"Ever Fallen in Love" by Buzzcocks (cover)
"I Fought the Law" by The Clash
"Rockaway Beach" by The Ramones

Single Songs:
"Fortunate Son" by Credence Clearwater Revival
"Juke Box Hero" by Foreigner
"My Sharona" by The Knack
"Cherry Bomb" by The Runaways
"Bang a Gong" by T-Rex
"Joker and the Thief" by Wolfmother
"Brass in a Pocket" by Pretenders
"My Iron Lung" by Radiohead
"Buddy Holly" by Weezer

I was just listening to "Sick Sick Sick" and thinking how great it'd be for Rock Band. Awesome.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Renalia

• Not quite a lurker
  • LIKE EAGLES... ON... POGO STICKS
« Reply #5 on: 09 Nov 2007, 05:13 »

Roxanne, Little Sister, Queen Bitch, Rockaway Beach, Buddy Holly, BANG-A-GONG!!!

Man, I'm so glad I have this pre-ordered, it's gonna be amazing. I need to swing to Best Buy and see if they have a demo setup, I needs to get my drum on.

Renalia

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2007, 05:25 »

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2007, 14:24 »

"Juke Box Hero" by Foreigner

Fuck yes fuck yes fuck yes.

This is one of the songs I suggested when they were openly taking recommendations, and I'm going to assume it's all for me.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2007, 18:39 »

I'd get this just for "My Sharona".

Actually, though, a real guitar is just $20 more expensive, and I have a drum set.  I would also need a console to play it on.  So, no.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2007, 18:55 »

Zomg. It's so much fun to play at Best buy. Even the vocal-portion works really well, which I didn't expect. The guitar is all wonky though, but I'll just use my GH guitar instead. And the drums are SO MUCH FUN. Especially if you're a drummer (which my g/f is). I have a feeling she's going to put it on her christmas list, which gives me a really sweet excuse to buy it.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #10 on: 17 Nov 2007, 15:15 »

For almost 200 bucks?

I'd rather spend $100 for Guitar Hero III, and I'd probably enjoy it more too.

Renalia

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #11 on: 18 Nov 2007, 05:37 »

Zomg. It's so much fun to play at Best buy. Even the vocal-portion works really well, which I didn't expect. The guitar is all wonky though, but I'll just use my GH guitar instead. And the drums are SO MUCH FUN. Especially if you're a drummer (which my g/f is). I have a feeling she's going to put it on her christmas list, which gives me a really sweet excuse to buy it.

I heard the demo guitars are kinda crap because they're pre-release demo/prototype guitars. Apparently the guitars that ship with the game are of much higher quality. Although I suppose it will take some time to get used to the buttons on the guitar.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2007, 17:23 »

I heard the demo guitars are kinda crap because they're pre-release demo/prototype guitars. Apparently the guitars that ship with the game are of much higher quality. Although I suppose it will take some time to get used to the buttons on the guitar.

Sweet. That's good news. I bought the wireless GH3 guitar anyway. It r pretty.

Narr

« Reply #13 on: 20 Nov 2007, 11:16 »

OH SNAP!

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/834/834179p1.html

TIMMMAH!!!!!
Dude that is the most amazing thing I have ever heard.

pompiste

« Reply #14 on: 20 Nov 2007, 20:25 »

Goddamn, if it wasn't for that infernal split, where Guitar Hero III and Rock Band ended up separate games (curse you, Activision)...I just wonder how amazing Rock Band would be.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2007, 02:33 »

Zomg is Rock Band awesome. The drums work perfectly. The bass and guitar parts are almost exactly GH3 with sort of better songs. (well, it's close)

Unfortunately, the vocal portion doesn't work at all. If you sing, you lose. If you hum very loudly throughout the song, you win.

Renalia

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:12 »

I'm going to hurt myself if I play the drums anymore, but I'm gonna play them anyway.

it's so fun.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2007, 09:00 »

Yeah, shin splints, ow.

My girlfriend is a drummer. We just started out on Hard, with me on guitar, and it was a complete rocking out.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2007, 02:31 »

I'm so sad right now. I finally set up my Rock Band set today and my neighbor got angry at me because he can hear the drumming through the floor. I'm not sure what to do prevent the transmission of drum noises through the floor!

I also made this:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/largeprimenumber/2054789978/" title="CC4LYFE by largeprime, on Flickr">[/url]

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2007, 21:48 »

Get a drum riser?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2007, 02:21 »

I'm sort of using the coffee table as a riser, but I think I'm gonna need something soft in between. Also, the pedal still needs to go on the floor.

I'm solving this problem for the time being by playing in my friend's concrete apartment.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #21 on: 24 Nov 2007, 15:08 »

Kill your neighbour.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 25 Nov 2007, 13:48 »

Unfortunately, the vocal portion doesn't work at all. If you sing, you lose. If you hum very loudly throughout the song, you win.

I have had no difficulty with the vocal portion. The only issue that I take with the game is that I have sung "In Bloom" more times than Kurt Colbain himself before he offed himself.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #23 on: 25 Nov 2007, 20:50 »

Yeah, the singing mechanic seems to work fine for me, too. I do notice that it doesn't handle low registers very well.

The karaoke technology is more mature than the guitar or drum technology.

Beren

• Curry sauce
« Reply #24 on: 27 Nov 2007, 05:00 »

Hum. Maybe it's just my voice.

or maybe I just can't sing.  :-P

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
« Reply #25 on: 28 Nov 2007, 14:36 »

Actually, though, a real guitar is just $20 more expensive, and I have a drum set.  I would also need a console to play it on.  So, no.

I know this is a little late but, honestly, this sums the whole thing up.

Meta

« Reply #26 on: 28 Nov 2007, 14:40 »

I had a blast with Jukebox Hero, singing. It was really lame, but, it was still awesome.

camelpimp

« Reply #27 on: 28 Nov 2007, 19:39 »

My father plays guitar, as in real guitar, and I honestly think he'd murder me if I spend the inordinate amount of money required to buy either Guitar Hero or Rock Band. He'd bash my head in with the Guitar Hero controller while I sleep. I think he'd enjoy the appropriateness and the closure the murder weapon provides.

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #28 on: 05 Dec 2007, 02:12 »

You ever watch the Guitar Hero episode of South Park?

dennis

• Lies! Truth!
« Reply #29 on: 05 Dec 2007, 02:15 »

I know this is a little late but, honestly, this sums the whole thing up.
Well, see the thing is, not everyone is skilled or talented enough to be able to play a repertoire of 59 rockin' songs with more songs added every week right off the bat.

Also, everyone hates you when you pick up a real guitar at a party and start playing Weezer. (usually)

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #30 on: 05 Dec 2007, 02:41 »

Also, everyone hates you when you pick up a real guitar at a party and start playing Weezer or Oasis. (usually)
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #31 on: 05 Dec 2007, 18:45 »

Rock Band / Guitar Hero and playing real instruments are not in opposition to each other.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #32 on: 06 Dec 2007, 14:31 »

Finally, somebody gets it.

The only time the two come into conflict are with the people who think that guitar hero counts as playing a real guitar.  It is not.

This, however, does not distract from its rawk factor.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #33 on: 06 Dec 2007, 15:31 »

I love this game.

Me and my friend want some Breaking Benjamin in it though. The 360 version of GH3 got the Halo theme, Rock Band should get Blow me Away.

Also, there needs to be more ballads. The drum parts would (probably) suck, but get a power ballad going at a party, and I imagine good times to be had, what with the lighters, and possible flashing, pending on how much alcohol is consumed.

I'm also kinda pissed (though barely) that the track listing doesn't take into consideration your "attitude" (metal, rock, punk, so on and so forth) My guys were metal, therefore, they would not sing/play fallout boy. Ever.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2007, 17:19 by AngelofShadows »
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

camelpimp

« Reply #34 on: 08 Dec 2007, 10:55 »

I played it with my mother at Best Buy.

SO MUCH FUN.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #35 on: 08 Dec 2007, 22:46 »

My brother and I played a bit with drums and guitar at a Best Buy today.  I really like the Stratocaster-esque controller.  It reminds me of the Squire I have at home.  Only it felt like I was going to break the controller where the neck met the body.  I thought it was awesome that there was  a second set of buttons on the highest frets too.  I thought it was for finger tapping.  But then decided that it was just for aesthetics, really.  So if you want to arse yourself to move your hand all the way up the neck to play a solo that sounds like it's way up on the fretboard, you could, and look like you're really doing it too.  Or, if you think you're funny, play the low notes on the high buttons, and the high ones near the headstock.

/rant (Sorry!  I'm tired!)

Anyways, it was fun.

Viking

« Reply #36 on: 10 Dec 2007, 02:08 »

Curse you damn Americans.
No, this is not because of politics or anything, but you get all the games months before us in Europe. And since I'm a Scandinavian it's even worse. I have to wait til spring 2008 for Rock Band. Rargh.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #37 on: 11 Dec 2007, 14:26 »

Like anyone in their right mind, I desperately want this game, but it's just not worth the near 200 dollars. I bought myself Guitar Hero III as an early Christmas present and enjoy it immensely. Plus, from what I've seen and heard, the guitar parts for Rock Band are significantly dumbed down from what you'd find in Guitar Hero and can be downright boring at times.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #38 on: 11 Dec 2007, 14:39 »

man i hate guitar hero. not because it's bad but because i can't play it at all. i have bad blood circulation and very poor dexterity in my fingers and i just cannot move my fingers fast enough to play even the easiest song on the easiest difficulty. i can't even roll a fucking cigarette because my hands are so shaky. houses of cards are out of the question as well.

however, i play drums and would like to check out how the drums work for Rock Band. i hear good things.
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2007, 14:41 by Scandanavian War Machine »
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #39 on: 11 Dec 2007, 21:52 »

I finally played it today. The guitar feels weird. As in, it would randomly miss notes, even though I know I hit them. I do like the shape of the strum bar now, because I can play bass like an actual bass.

The drums were fun, but I think I underestimated them by playing Hard on my first attempt.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #40 on: 11 Dec 2007, 23:36 »

thank god, I thought the randomly misssing notes thing was just me.  for what ever reason I failed that Jet song not half way through, then again it just could be that it was the guitar on display at Best Buy

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #41 on: 12 Dec 2007, 07:25 »

I never played the Best Buy displays, but I should try it, because the retail version doesn't feel very "solid" compared to the GHIII wireless.

If the GHIII controller had the Rock Band strum bar, it would be perfect. Maybe I could mod it or something, but I was never really good at that kind of thing.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 25 Dec 2007, 20:51 »

Good god damn, this was all my cousins and I played today.  I can't believe it is this much fun.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #43 on: 26 Dec 2007, 02:05 »

Yeah, got this for Christmas, spent all night playing it. It's a perfect party game, great fun with friends, pretty dull solo.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

AngelofShadows

• One body.....one mind.
« Reply #44 on: 26 Dec 2007, 06:23 »

Got my older brother, nephew, twin, and his friends addicted to this game.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 26 Dec 2007, 09:11 »

I've been playing this since release and am loving it.  The game is very polished on world tour mode (the solo is practically non-existent but who cares), although there are some glaring design flaws in the peripherals -- as you're probably aware if you've been reading a video game blog over the past three months.

My drum pedal snapped at the spring within a week.  I can virtually guaranty this will happen within a year to at least one of two people who buy this product until they fix the incredibly stupid design of the pedal that puts virtually no reinforcement over the part of the plastic pedal that takes the most pressure.  Happily, I have a drill and am not completely useless with it, so I reinforced the pedal myself with metal braces screwed to the top of the pedal (following instructions off the internet, natch) and it now feels and plays better than before it broke.  The incredible thing here is that prior to fixing it myself I had the company send me a replacement and the replacement piece has exactly the same design.  I mean, Harmonix, baby, we're talking about two pieces of metal worth about 3 cents attached to the bottom of your freaking pedal.  It's not rocket science.  The fact that they made the drum heads so well and then screwed the pootch so horribly on something so simple is almost funny.

As for song selection, I agree about the repetitiveness of the beginning songs (In Bloom, Creep, Train Keeps on Rolling, etc.) but once you get out of New York you rarely hear them again and you get to lose again and again on The New Pornogapher's Electric Version (am I the only person who finds this song somewhat challenging?  It doesn't sound challenging, what the hell?)  My brother has already emailed Arts & Crafts and Harmonix demanding Broken Social Scene, and apparently someone from A&C emailed back saying they'd love to.  The ball is in your court, Harmonix.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 26 Dec 2007, 09:16 »

Been busy.  Running, jumping, climbing trees.  As one does.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #47 on: 26 Dec 2007, 12:10 »

I was going to buy it today, but Best Buy ran out of copies...
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

PacoSees

« Reply #48 on: 07 Jan 2008, 11:06 »

Man, I can't stand the new guitars or the interface for guitar/bass.

I need to know when I can bust out the wicked hammer-on action, goddammit.

Thy Dungeonman

« Reply #49 on: 07 Jan 2008, 11:35 »

I've already gotten used to the hammer-ons. Just look for the smaller notes. It can't be that much harder than looking for the absence of a tiny black circle via Guitar Hero.

But I understand the problem with the guitar itself, seeing as it malfunctions 5 out of every 4 times.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up