THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 00:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Writers Guild Strike  (Read 19733 times)

leave for no raisin

Writers Guild Strike
« on: 07 Nov 2007, 13:05 »

I'm sure by now most people have heard about the Writer's Guild of America going on strike.  Here is a video that the WGA put out on YouTube to explain exactly why they're on strike, which I found helpful.  I knew the basic reasons, but the video kind of breaks it down and explains everything.

Oh, and apparently production of The Office is shut down until the strike is over.  Steve Carell informed NBC that he is unable to report to work because he is suffering from “enlarged balls.”

I fully support this strike, but I wish the a-holes in charge would just hurry up and give the writers their money so I could get my Daily Show back.

So QC, do you support the strike, or do you want your TV back?
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2007, 20:23 by leave for no raisin »

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
Re: Writer's Guild Strike
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2007, 13:29 »

From what I've seen/read about this strike, I think I support them, but that doesn't mean it doesn't suck, and I hope it doesn't last for long. I read somewhere that the previous strike, a number of years ago, lastet 22 weeks or something, which is insane, but I somehow don't see that happening again.

For now, none of the shows I watch are "gone", but according to all the schedules I've seen, like 90% of them will disappear come January-February, so yeah.. (The one good thing that might come from that would be that shows like Men In Trees, which I think has quite a few episodes "ready", will get more viewers and maybe live on, but then again, maybe not, and I don't think it's exactly worth it.)

Mnementh

« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2007, 15:42 »

Well, the nightly shows are shutting down because they tend to be topical and need writers.  Jon Stewart says he intends to continue paying the writers for his show and The Colbert Report out of his own pocket.  This is classy. (Jon is a pro-union guy).  A lot of other shows are shutting down because the actors and showrunners and the such are also walking the picket lines in a show of solidarity.  Good for them.  I support the strike.

I am amused that the UAW struck a month ago and the news didn't really cover it, but the WGA goes on strike and it's the worst thing since 9/11.

Hollywood is on strike, oil hit $98 a barrel in trading today, and the price of beer is going to go up up up (hops shortage is driving up prices). Corn is already through the roof so I can't imagine bourbon getting cheaper.

What's America to do?

I'm predicting the Great Beer and Bollywood Wars of twenty aught nine.

« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2007, 19:07 by Daniel »

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2007, 17:42 »

I fully support this. Yeah, my entertainment may have to be directed elsewhere, but they deserve what they're asking for and I sincerely hope they get it. I honestly don't mind if shows have to end earlier than expected, I'll just read more.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Mnementh

« Reply #4 on: 07 Nov 2007, 18:41 »

BoutASouffle

« Reply #5 on: 07 Nov 2007, 19:37 »

Ok, so this is a cause that is gradually becoming near and dear to my heart, largely because this is the industry I'm trying to work in. I've been following it pretty extensively in my film/TV blog (Framewatch). Basically, one of the main arguments is over whether writers should get residuals for internet sales and advertisement-supported streaming content. Right now they're not seeing any of the profit from the streaming content, which network lawyers are calling "promotional" even though they're drawing in money from those annoying commercials we have to watch online.

The two sides fighting here are the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers (http://www.amptp.org/) and the Writer's Guild of American (www.wga.org and www.wgaeast.org). Both websites have biased information, but you can read between the lines.

I find it pretty awesome that a lot of the showrunners (writer-producers) are respecting the picket line, even though officially they're allowed to cross the lines as producers so long as they don't participate in writing activities. Seth Macfarlane (who has decided to neither produce nor act in anymore Family Guy episodes during the strike) was asked why he thought it would be stupid for Fox to let another producer run Family Guy during the strike. He replied, "Because I would be angry."

WGA has been putting up some informative and hilarious videos on YouTube. My favorite is from the guys (and Kelly) who write and star in "The Office."

Edit: A completely list of showrunners who are respecting picket lines can be found here. Note that many non-writers and hyphenated writers are supporting the cause so that a precedent can be set for all creative collaborators to benefit from their creations.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2007, 20:52 by BoutASouffle »

leave for no raisin

« Reply #6 on: 07 Nov 2007, 20:55 »

Hollywood is on strike and the price of beer is going to go up up up (hops shortage is driving up prices). Corn is already through the roof so I can't imagine bourbon getting cheaper.

TrekkieTechie

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Lexiconnisseur
    • deviantArt Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 Nov 2007, 23:27 »

I fully support them. I'm taking a history of film class at my CC from a guild member, and he related this gem (obviously paraphrased from memory):

"The studios pay 50 cents for the plastic wrap around every DVD they sell. They pay us 4 cents."

I think that's a pretty stark contrast -- hard-working writers are worth less than plastic that is thrown away as soon as the DVD is purchased?
No matter where you go, there you are.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2007, 01:49 »

I fully support the strike. I'll be working under a union for the rest of my life (teacher... whooo...), and union workers have to stick together. I know how crappy it is to be on strike (go look up the grocery worker's strike in southern California in 2003). That thing lasted four freaking months. I don't think that the writers walking the line are going to have piss-filled water balloons thrown at them, though, like we did.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2007, 03:04 »

The big thing about this strike is that while you're waiting on this strike, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES 'LEGALLY' WATCH A WRITTEN SHOW. The idea of the strike is to show the networks that they can't make money without their writers, so if you're really itching to watch some of The Office, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Scrubs, etc. TORRENT IT. You shouldn't help the networks make money until the strike is over and they actually start paying the writers.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

BoutASouffle

« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2007, 05:54 »

The big thing about this strike is that while you're waiting on this strike, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES 'LEGALLY' WATCH A WRITTEN SHOW. The idea of the strike is to show the networks that they can't make money without their writers, so if you're really itching to watch some of The Office, Grey's Anatomy, Lost, Scrubs, etc. TORRENT IT. You shouldn't help the networks make money until the strike is over and they actually start paying the writers.

Absolutely great advice. Also, you should probably cancel your Netflix subscription if this goes past the month you've already paid for. Film writers are also on strike.

I found another great video. This time it's a WGA moderate (and believe me, he's moderate) who is supporting the strike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beMNePzqpzQ&eurl=http://weblogs.variety.com/wga_strike_blog/

It's kind of nice to hear somebody explaining their reasoning that isn't in a liberal haze of protest.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2007, 16:05 »

What if you Tivo a show and fast forward through the commercials.

You know, there is absolutely NO way they can tell how many people watch a show. The best thing to do is pretend you've stopped watching. Write letters saying that you've stopped and won't continue. However, you shouldn't spend your money. Don't go to movie theaters right now, don't buy films or TV shows, don't rent any movies.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #12 on: 08 Nov 2007, 16:13 »

i buy all of my dvds used anyways. 4 for 20 deals will beat out any deal at a major distributer.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #13 on: 08 Nov 2007, 17:49 »

What if you Tivo a show and fast forward through the commercials.

You know, there is absolutely NO way they can tell how many people watch a show. The best thing to do is pretend you've stopped watching. Write letters saying that you've stopped and won't continue. However, you shouldn't spend your money. Don't go to movie theaters right now, don't buy films or TV shows, don't rent any movies.

Of all things, I think Tivo is the most monitored of all of  the ways of viewing. While it's true that your normal network viewing on basic cable probably won't be monitored (unless you're a Nielson household), but the big things to avoid are streaming video and buying episodes DVDs. But why the fuck would you want to pretend that you're supporting a cause when you're not? That is about the weakest shit idea that I have ever heard, if you don't mind me saying so. And hell, it is even if you do mind.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #14 on: 08 Nov 2007, 19:04 »

Yeah, I'm just not going to watch. I'll hit up my shows on DVD later after this is over. This is something I actually support (which really doesn't happen often) and I want to actually do my part by avoiding the shows that are affected.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #15 on: 08 Nov 2007, 20:19 »

I'm fully supporting the writers in this strike. This is also the industry that I plan on entering upon graduation from college and I expect to be payed for all the work I do god damnit.

That is all.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #16 on: 09 Nov 2007, 06:36 »

do they make money off of rentals?  if so, how?  i figured the rental companies buy the DVDs, but then any money from each rental actually goes to the rental companies?  should i really stop using netflix?
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #17 on: 09 Nov 2007, 08:29 »

I am pretty sure the writers themselves don't, but the company does.

BoutASouffle

« Reply #18 on: 09 Nov 2007, 16:59 »

do they make money off of rentals?  if so, how?  i figured the rental companies buy the DVDs, but then any money from each rental actually goes to the rental companies?  should i really stop using netflix?

Yes, they make money off of rentals... In fact, most of their money comes from post-theatrical releases. Very few films do well enough at the box office to as much as break even. The way they get money from DVD rentals is simple: they sell the DVDs t the rental stores in the first place. The more their film gets rented, the more copies a store will order in order to fulfill the demand of its customers and replace worn-out disks (and believe me, they wear out quickly... just ask Garrett Hardin).

So boycotting DVD rentals will have an effect. By not renting DVDs, you're preventing the store owners from ordering more DVDs and giving more money that will only go into one or two pocks.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #19 on: 11 Nov 2007, 22:27 »

For anyone who's wondering when the Strike will affect their preferred shows, here's a rough chart. It doesn't cover everything (my favorite show, The Shield, for instance, has all its episodes written but creator Shawn Ryan won't be on set if the Strike continues into the production schedule) but the big network shows are there. 5 more weeks of 30 Rock, at least.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2007, 18:16 »

I don't really watch any of the network shows anyways, except for My Name is Earl. If I am watching TV, it's usually either something on Adult Swim, or something like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia or South Park, and as far as I know none of those are being affected too greatly by the strike. That said, I very much support the strike, and will continue my usual policy of torrenting shows instead of watching them on TV   :-D

Narr

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2007, 18:48 »

I support the strike by not watching TV?

I guess I've been supporting this strike for years, then.

leave for no raisin

« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2007, 20:23 »

EDIT:  I just noticed/realized that there shouldn't be an apostrophe in the thread title, and it's really annoying me.  Sorry.
(You can edit the thread title as well if you edit the original post)

I feel like a big fat retard now.  Thanks and fixed.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
Re: Writers Guild Strike
« Reply #23 on: 12 Nov 2007, 20:29 »

I don't really watch tv anyway. Besides the only show I want to see is Heroes and I am waiting for the dvd to come out before I watch it. As such I am avoiding the Heroes thread here like the plague.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2007, 09:23 »

Scrubs: Eleven episodes will be produced. Three episodes have aired, so there are eight left.

That's about eight too many. They're really phoning in the final season. =/
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

talon

« Reply #25 on: 15 Nov 2007, 15:00 »

i support the writers guilds cause... but it still sucks that i can't get my nightly Conan fix and weekly SNL. also, reality tv dosn't use the same writers (probably lower forms of ocean creatures) so if it gos on further into the season we're just going to have to live with more reality tv *gasp* as networks can't fill slated schedules. damn greedy producers... guess writers wouldn't be writers if they weren't struggling.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #26 on: 16 Nov 2007, 00:25 »

Scrubs: Eleven episodes will be produced. Three episodes have aired, so there are eight left.

That's about eight too many. They're really phoning in the final season. =/

The last season wasn't the best either. I was really pissed at the season finale. Not "omg do they kiss or not!!!!!!!", more like "christ, what is this, Friends? are they really that out of ideas that they're doing this again?" It's a shame, the first 3 or 4 seasons were great. Despite my extreme dislike of JD/Zach Braff, the other characters made up for it.

BlueChicken

« Reply #27 on: 18 Nov 2007, 11:59 »

Maybe I'm wrong on this one, but don't most shows operate a bunch of episodes ahead? So really, we won't even notice for a while anyways.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé
« Reply #28 on: 18 Nov 2007, 13:29 »

Yeah, if you'd read the thread, that would be obvious. Although certain shows have disappeared already (The Colbert Report ++), as previously mentioned by some.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #29 on: 09 Dec 2007, 12:25 »

OK. I can't take it much longer without my weekly fix of things.

House didn't show.

Any  news on when this will be over?
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #30 on: 12 Dec 2007, 07:35 »

Not only was it not new, but the rerun was from that horrid Tritter storyline last season.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #31 on: 12 Dec 2007, 12:39 »

I got fed up with the Tritter sub plot and stopped watching till he left.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #32 on: 04 Jan 2008, 01:28 »

Let it be known, that if anyone could come across the image of Conan O'Brien screaming while singing "Sabotage" in Rock Band, and make an avatar of it, they would get their choice of hugs or drugs.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

chrobae

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jan 2008, 12:47 »

Seeing as this is all a dispute over a profit margin I'm not going to take a side.  I have other sources of entertainment too...

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #34 on: 10 Jan 2008, 13:21 »

Right now I'm just really happy that I enjoy reality television. I can go without the writers.

For a while.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #35 on: 10 Jan 2008, 15:30 »

Dammit, I thought you weren't a mindless boob.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #36 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:27 »

What I'm finding most irritating about the strike (I only watch Conan, Stewart and Colbert) is that the pool of possible guests has shrunk considerably given that most people with union sympathies are unwilling to cross picket lines and appear. It's gotten to the point at which most of Conan's guests are NBC hacks (Donald Trump, Hulk Hogan, etc.) and Stewart and Colbert, being by and large political shows, are stuck with conservative and neo-conservative guests who one imagines are actively against the principle of organized labor, let alone strikes. That hurts Stewart in particular, as he isn't a seasoned improv veteran like Colbert and he has to rely on interviews for nearly half the length of the show.

Apparently Leno and Kimmel are so stretched for guests they're appearing on each other's programs.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #37 on: 10 Jan 2008, 17:49 »

Well, since the Golden Globes won't be airing, I'm hoping this will be over by the time Oscar season rolls around, considering that's such a huge profit for the network. Though I think it'd be kind of funny if the world had to do without the Oscars this year.

BoutASouffle

« Reply #38 on: 10 Jan 2008, 20:19 »

Right now I'm just really happy that I enjoy reality television. I can go without the writers.

For a while.

I caught my mother watching "Wife Swap" the other day and our relationship hasn't been the same since.

Well, since the Golden Globes won't be airing, I'm hoping this will be over by the time Oscar season rolls around, considering that's such a huge profit for the network. Though I think it'd be kind of funny if the world had to do without the Oscars this year.

There's something so deliciously trashy about the Oscars, though! It's like... what reality TV strives to be.

Juno's not going to win anyway, so there's not really a reason to watch it. For that matter, Amy Adams won't even get a nod for certain movies I will not name but that she gave an amazing performance in.

I think there should be a "best amazing actor despite a movie with a horrible premise" award. Hm, I'm not sure about the grammar of that award. Maybe I should sleep.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #39 on: 10 Jan 2008, 21:55 »

Actually I'm pretty sure variations on that award make up close to all the awards on offer come Oscar time.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #40 on: 10 Jan 2008, 22:26 »

Yeah, well, fuck you. I also enjoy scripted shows.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

chrobae

« Reply #41 on: 10 Jan 2008, 23:08 »

Watch anime instead.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #42 on: 11 Jan 2008, 06:36 »

And read it outside so you can get some goddamn sun.

Actually I'm pretty sure variations on that award make up close to all the awards on offer come Oscar time.

Oh, they'll still give the awards out and stuff, it just wouldn't be this big huge socialite affair that is aired on TV. Most award shows don't air on normal TV, but this one for some reason is huge. People have parties and dress up and stuff, which I find a bit odd. I don't watch it unless some movie I really like has a possiblity of winning. Last time it was a Miyazaki film I watched part of it for.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #43 on: 11 Jan 2008, 19:17 »

Sorry, I was responding to this suggestion:

I think there should be a "best amazing actor despite a movie with a horrible premise" award.

What I meant is that as far as I can tell all the awards at the Oscars are for "best [something] in a movie with a horrible premise".

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #44 on: 11 Jan 2008, 19:25 »

Aha. After a re-read, I did a mental face-palm. Der.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #45 on: 11 Jan 2008, 22:26 »

I really cannot help but fear that this will end badly.

The producers' main tactic from the beginning has apparently been to try to starve the writers out and break the union.  I think this strike goes way beyond the producers' resistance to establishing residual rights for emerging media, it's indicative of a larger plan to weaken Hollywood's guilds and unions to the point of ineffectivity.  My dad is a member of the International Cinematographers' Guild, which is possibly the weakest guild in the entertainment industry (he's fond of saying that he can always tell the contract terms are going to bleak at the annual meeting when they open the proceedings with "Well, it was a tough negotiation, but we managed to save the health plan!").  If the producers are successful in their tactics and force the writers to back down, I'm afraid that this is the kind of thing that awaits them in the future, as well as the Directors' and Screen Actors' guilds, should their possible upcoming strikes come to fruition.

This whole ordeal has really soured me on my dreams of entering this particular industry.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #46 on: 11 Jan 2008, 23:53 »

I genuinely don't think that the WGA will be caving. They hold pretty much all the cards here, except for the one where they get paid.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Paav

« Reply #47 on: 12 Jan 2008, 00:14 »

Because the actors and directors are nearing the end of their contracts these negotiations have added weight, the producers don't want to appear soft, but the writers can hold out better because they have the support of the actors and directors.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #48 on: 12 Jan 2008, 01:18 »

Really?  Everyone in L.A. I've talked to has a pretty dim view of the outcome.  Maybe we're just cynical.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

chrobae

« Reply #49 on: 12 Jan 2008, 01:42 »

Read this news article http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0111/p02s02-ussc.html.  It's very objective about the whole situation.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up