THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decemberists  (Read 10758 times)

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: Decemberists
« Reply #50 on: 10 Nov 2007, 21:20 »

60 listens alone these last 4 months and still not skipable.

monkandmovies13

« Reply #51 on: 11 Nov 2007, 07:19 »

Yeah, it was super fun for me at first. I was in love with it and thought it was so neat and weird, but now I think it's just pretty cool. The novelty wore off eventually.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #52 on: 12 Nov 2007, 00:20 »

:blows raspberry: I haz childish wonder and u iz all boring farts!!

chamberk

« Reply #53 on: 12 Nov 2007, 06:12 »

Her Majesty's the best album, followed by Picaresque.   Crane Wife had a fantastic beginning and ending, but the middle sags when they try to do new things.  Still, I applaud them for trying.  Nothing worse than getting hung up on a gimmick.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #54 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:39 »

I agree with you on 'The Crane Wife.' The entire middle of the album not only sags, it's easily skipable. I don't think 'Her Majesty' is their best, however. Sure, it has some good songs: 'The Soldiering Life' is fun and has that awesome chorus and 'Los Angeles, I'm Yours' is very good (lyrically it may be the best on the album), and 'The Chimbley Sweep' is also a quick, fun little song as well.
But the overall quality doesn't match that of 'Picaresque' with it's brilliant opener all the way to its epic climactic moment and its rather beautiful denouement. I'll admit 'Sixteen Military Wives' is a bit too 'single-y' in a radio-friendly sense but when you have songs as lyrically strong as 'The Bagman's Gamibt,' 'Eli the Barrow Boy,' 'The Engine Driver,' and 'The Bus Mall,' it's kinda hard, for me anyway, to see the quality comparable to 'Her Majesty's.
Of course, we can't forget 'Castaways and Cutouts.' It's the first Decemberists album I heard (I got it the week of its release) and I listened to it non-stop for weeks after. I sometimes think it's their best album with such brilliant/beautiful songs as 'Grace Cathedral Hill,' 'Odalisque,'Cocoon,' and 'Clementine' and songs with such terrific energy as 'Legionnaire's Lament' and 'July July.' It's a really excellent album.
Long story short, I couldn't really pick a favorite but I can narrow it down to Castaways... and Picaresque since The Crane Wife is too weak in the entire middle and Her Majesty has some decent songs but a lot of filler.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #55 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:45 »

Crane Wife's the best one in my book, with Castaways a close second. Actually so close that they're basically interchangeable.

Picaresque has some really strong moments but I always have to skip 'Military Wives' and 'The Sporting Life' which is a hassle. At least half of it if not more is great though.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #56 on: 13 Nov 2007, 22:16 »

Crane Wife's the best one in my book...

Same here and I liked all of it.

RobbieOC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Whachaw!
    • Facebookfacebookfacebook
« Reply #57 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:06 »

I love Castaways, but I've also fallen in love in Picaresqueties, especially the Joanna Newsome cover on there. Brilliant!

Also, you know you're doing good when you've found a lady who likes to make out while listening to the Decembersits.  :wink: I never pictured it as particularly mood setting or whatever, but I wasn't going to complain. You know?

Bishop138

• Plantmonster
  • Suave....
« Reply #58 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:59 »

I like Mariner's Revenge, that's almost all I've been exposed to. That's all I have to say on the subject, fuck you beer loves me! You have no idea how long this took to write without mistakes.
"Oh, that's not him taunting you.
That's his idea of a welcome gift.
Instead of a basket with wine and cheese,
you get jpegs of equine molestation."

Felix_

« Reply #59 on: 15 Nov 2007, 23:57 »

I like The Decemberists.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #60 on: 16 Nov 2007, 00:19 »

I too like the Decemberists.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #61 on: 16 Nov 2007, 05:51 »

Who are these "Decemberists" you speak of? Also, why do you like them?

debaser

• Plantmonster
« Reply #62 on: 16 Nov 2007, 17:10 »

Yeah, it was super fun for me at first. I was in love with it and thought it was so neat and weird, but now I think it's just pretty cool. The novelty wore off eventually.

hello fellow orator
Baby, you got a stew going.

monkandmovies13

« Reply #63 on: 17 Nov 2007, 04:44 »

hello fellow orator

There are quite a few of you here...I've found three so far besides myself.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #64 on: 17 Nov 2007, 12:03 »

Who are these "Decemberists" you speak of? Also, why do you like them?

They are the gods of Oregon and I like them because their music is, well, music to my ears!

They make music and love!

Sidonis

« Reply #65 on: 18 Nov 2007, 22:37 »

I have to say, I've never seen another live band with such a huge variation in quality of performance.  Saw them twice in Seattle, once at a venue called "Zoo Tunes", which is effectively a big open lawn full of old people, and once at the Paramount, a venue that is, in my opinion, too large for the band.  They're very interactive, which is excellent, but when the venue doesn't properly support it, the show ends up being rather disappointing.  Also, Colin had a sore throat or something.

In closing, I sort of like the Decemberists but am unsold on the badassitude of their concerts as of yet.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up