THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: This is a thread about Final Fantasy.  (Read 12729 times)

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
This is a thread about Final Fantasy.
« on: 28 Oct 2007, 19:22 »

I realize there's probably been quite a few.

But!  I was wondering if it would be possible to find anything before VII on a platform other than the SNES, NES, or whatever consoles they first came out on.  I can't remember which ones they are exactly.  So, what I'm asking is: would it be possible to find say...Final Fantasy 1 or something on an abandonware or freeware website?  I'd really love to play the whole series through (despite the fact I'm borrowing FFX from a friend right now).

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Re: This is a thread about Final Fantasy.
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2007, 19:26 »

Final Fantasy 1 & 2 were remade for GBA and PSP. Final Fantasy 3 was remade for DS. Final Fantasy 4 was released for GBA and PSX and is currently being remade for DS. Final Fantasy 5 and 6 were released for PSX and GBA.

All of them are available as ROMs, but that's of questionable legality and I will not do that leg-work for you.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

imapiratearg

« Reply #2 on: 28 Oct 2007, 19:42 »

I don't have any of those consoles (except a PS2).  But my brother has a PSP.  Also, you forgot to mention eight and nine.

...I feel kind of stupid for asking this, but what is a ROM exactly?  Like a floppy disk?
« Last Edit: 29 Oct 2007, 10:04 by imapiratearg »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3 on: 28 Oct 2007, 19:47 »

Oh, 8 and 9 are for PSX, like 7. They are playable on PS2.

A ROM is a rip of the game from its cartridge. Basically, it's a copy of the game downloaded from its original version to be played on a PC. It is very popular among people of low mind.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2007, 19:53 »

Or, you know, people who looked all over eBay and Amazon for a game and couldn't find it.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

imapiratearg

« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2007, 20:00 »

Or people like me who are of low income and cannot afford to buy new consoles or handhelds to play just a specific series of games.  And who already have a computer.

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #6 on: 28 Oct 2007, 20:42 »

Go find an emulator(s) and the appropriate roms/isos. Google is your best bet. You can find all of them up to 9, and Abandonia has a fan-made FF using oneof the old SNES FFs as the baseline.
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

0bsessions

• Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2007, 07:53 »

I don't have any of those consoles.  But my brother has a PSP.  Also, you forgot to mention eight and nine.

The first two are being rereleased (Or already have been) for PSP. Also, he didn't 'forget,' you specificall said before VII. Last I checked, VIII and IX followed VII on a number scale; don't quote me on that, though.

One thing of note: ROMs are, in fact, illegal. If that doesn't bother you, whatever, but a GBA can be procured for somewhere under $50 at this point. Just splurge the money for a DS Lite. They're only $130 and have a great library to begin with, aside from the fact that the first six Final Fantasy games are all available in some form on the DS.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

DavidGrohl

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2007, 08:40 »

www.zophar.net for all your emulator needs.  You won't find ROMS there, as they're not exactly legal, though.

imapiratearg

« Reply #9 on: 29 Oct 2007, 12:44 »

I might see if my parents will get me a DS Lite for Christmas or something.  Since it will be my last one at home.  :[

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2007, 13:17 »

Yes, a DS is the optimal system to play the first 6 Final Fantasies.

A PS2 is all you need to play the other 6.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

imapiratearg

« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2007, 13:20 »

Except for 11.  Since we're talking about the DS and FF, is Crystal Chronicles part of the sequential series, or like, an aside?

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2007, 13:43 »

Actually, XI is available for the PS2, but you need the defunct PS2 hard drive, which is both useless and hard to come by.

Crystal Chronicles is a spin-off, though to be accurate, none of the games are 'quintessential.' The closest any of the games in the series to actually having jack-all to do with each other is between XII and the Tactics spinoff (They take place in the same world some 1,000 or so years apart). There are certain recurring elements in the series, such as a Cid, chocobos, airships and the like that have been prevalent, recurring instances since around the third game, but beyond that all of the games are completely separate entities.

This is why I'd generally consider this a fool's errand on your part (No offense, you have no reason to know if you've yet to play). Honestly, only maybe half the games in the series are even really that good, much less better than similar games of the genre. In my personal opinion, V, VI and XII are the only ones that really stand out amongst similar RPGs (And while I may not care for the story of it, X mae some great gameplay strides). My opinions aside, I've yet to meet a person who could even stand II for the most part. Beyond that, I is really rather generic and boring, III is a pale precursor to V and Tactics, IV is pretty solid if you haven't played the superior in just about every way VI and it goes on.

Try out the Suikoden (Four of the five games have been fantastic), Lunar (Both games were great), Golden Sun (Also both great) or Chrono (Cross gets lackluster reviews, but I loved both it and Trigger). Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II are also heavily recommended if you can get your hands on them.
JON MADE ME GAY

imapiratearg

« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2007, 13:58 »

I'll have to make a note of those other ones.

After checking the Wikipedia article, I did discover that none of them are really linked in any significant way.  I guess I want to play them all just for the sake of doing so.  I guess I'm kind of silly for it.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2007, 14:01 »

The original Final Fantasy was an amazing game for its time. However, that 'time' was almost 20 years ago. It's not really worth playing now if you're not doing so for nostalgia. IV is still a pretty well-made RPG, if not amazing. VI is by far the best in the series, no contest. If you can pick up the GBA remake, do it do it do it.

I bought Suikoden V, but it didn't really drive me wild. It was a fine battle system and all that, but it was so dependent on collecting characters, and then it never gave you any indication of where to go to collect those characters. On top of that, sometimes your objectives would not really be all that clear. I think I accidentally stumbled into an area far later in the game than I was meant to be, because even the random encounters would bring me pretty close to death. But I had no idea where to go next, so I just sort of stopped playing and never went back. I can get behind Golden Sun and Chrono Trigger, but Cross was pretty disappointing.

Also, if you want non-turn based RPGs: Fire Emblem is a fantastic Strategy RPG series (two games on GBA, one game on Gamecube, one coming out next week on Wii, and a future game for DS), and Shadow Hearts for action RPGs (but I should warn you that the storylines are extremely strange in those games). Oh, and also Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. I never played any of the other Tales games, so I can't speak for them, but I enjoyed Symphonia a lot.

Also, the Nippon Ichi stuff is great off-the-wall strategy, but it also requires a lot of pretty hardcore grinding and/or metagaming, so if that's not your thing, watch out. I like the style of them, but I always get apathetic about 30-40 hours in and lose interest. The only NIS game I've played to completion was Phantom Brave.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Postino

« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2007, 14:46 »

FF VI and VII are definantly worth playing, as are both lunar games. If your gonna get a ROM invest in Lufia 1 and 2. ante-up.org Is a friend of mines site with some pretty decent ROMs. Chrono Trigger is a must have. Tales of Phantasia for the GBA is great even if the battle system is a bit slow compared to the newer Tales of games the storyline is fantastic.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2007, 15:06 »

After checking the Wikipedia article, I did discover that none of them are really linked in any significant way.  I guess I want to play them all just for the sake of doing so.  I guess I'm kind of silly for it.

You are, but we won't hold it against you. I myself went through the same phase as a teenager. I wanted to play through the entire series just for the sake of it. I learned my lesson on my own that it really wasn't worth the effort. You will too.

Anyways, if you're going to commit heavy undertaking of grinding through the series, I'd recommend doing it in the following order (Give or take through the middle, but this is my recommendation):

1, 2, 3, 8, 4, 9, 10, 5, 6, Tactics, 12. I glossed over 7 because I get the impression you've played it already. If not, I'd say play it between 10 and 5. My reasoning is as follows:

If you can grind through the first two, you should be able to hoof your way through the series. They're easily the shortest entries, but they legitimately felt like a chore to me by the time I got to them (My original playthrough order was 8, 5, 6, Tactics, 7, 9, 4, 10, 1, 2, 12, 3), especially two as the 'leveling' system is an absolute load of shit. The story in both is also rather lacking as the original is essentially just on long, scripted fetch quest. Three's story was pretty bland as well and the battle/job system is, as I mentioned, basically a stripped down and inferior analogue to the one in five. Eight...well, it looks pretty and the story has the occasional bright spot, but it eventually gets incredibly convoluted and the magic and stat system is pretty garbage. Four is touted as one of the best stories in the series, though I never really got into it. There also aren't enough original battle elements to warrant it as anything special. Nine had a pretty generic battle system and story as well and I'd honestly say it's interchangeable with four in many ways, though it's at least prettier, I suppose. Ten had some very nice new battle elements and most people (Myself precluded) loved the story. It's a bit of a quality jump from the first six entries I mentioned, so it's probably best played after them. Five had, until recently, the most absolutely unique and inspired character stat system with the job system. It's a grind-fest, but the flexibility and customization of the system makes it a blast to level. Six is my absolute favorite and had, bar none, the best story of the series (Many people like seven, but I find the story needlessly cliche and convoluted). The battle system is a tad on the generic side, but the mix or music, story and overall presentation make it a must play, you'll also appreciate it that much more after playing the other, more inferior games, earlier on. I put Tactics after six because it's best played in conjunction with twelve. I personally hate turn based strategy games of the like, but it was one of the best FF stories and is commendable for that alone. If you're a fan of the TB strategy genre, you'll likely love it (It's also just been ported to PSP). Twelve is last because it's easily the best looking and biggest departure from the series. The story is rather bland, but it's the absolute only FF game I never got bored playing. The combat system is an absolute blast, especially if you enjoy the occasional MMO. I found myself legitimately enjoying grinding trying to fill out the license board.
JON MADE ME GAY

MC

• Furry furrier
« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2007, 18:35 »

...I feel kind of stupid for asking this, but what is a ROM exactly?  Like a floppy disk?

it's a [highly illegal] software that lets you play any video game console on your computer for free.Sense it's illegal you can pretty much only get em off of shady websites that MAY or may not contain viruses. Personally it goes against my code of ethics... but to each his own I guess.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #18 on: 29 Oct 2007, 18:55 »

Yeah, before you start downloading ROMs, be aware that people disguise viruses as them fairly regularly.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #19 on: 30 Oct 2007, 00:45 »

I am playing 3 right now on my DS and it is ok.  The interstitial animations for every little fucking thing are pissing me off, but other than that it's some fun to be had riding the train to work.

muteKi

« Reply #20 on: 30 Oct 2007, 12:53 »

it's a [highly illegal] software that lets you play any video game console on your computer for free.Sense it's illegal you can pretty much only get em off of shady websites that MAY or may not contain viruses. Personally it goes against my code of ethics... but to each his own I guess.

It's been mentioned before, though, that if you have the game on a hard medium, a backup copy of the ROM isn't typically considered illegal. The main difference between this and, say, a music download is that while downloading a few songs in order to get some idea of what an album sounds like is generally accepted by everyone except the labels themselves, it's a lot harder to do something like that for a videogame since it's a single program effectively.

I have yet to encounter a virus as ROM yet (I think), but I prefer to go to higher-quality sites without voting or registration. Typically the game makers don't get too angry and just ask for their games to be taken down from the sites rather than engage in the suits seen by, say, the RIAA.

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #21 on: 30 Oct 2007, 13:56 »

FF Tactics is my favorite game of all time.

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #22 on: 30 Oct 2007, 23:12 »

To anyone with the GBA remake of VI: Did they finally fix the Evade% glitch?
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

Catfish_Man

• Assorted Stuff
« Reply #23 on: 30 Oct 2007, 23:36 »

To anyone with the GBA remake of VI: Did they finally fix the Evade% glitch?

There's a patched ROM you can get for the SNES version.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 31 Oct 2007, 11:47 »

Yes, the advance version correctly uses the Evade and Magic Evade attributes.

Also, Vanish + Death doesn't work as well. :( I love being cheap!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
« Reply #25 on: 01 Nov 2007, 02:53 »

Am I the only one who thinks VII is one of the weaker games in the series? Besides the fact that it was 3D, and the summons were cool (some, not all.) The Story is kinda confusing, the main villian, is, for all purposes, a momma's boy, They decided to kill off the character who was clearly meant to be the designated healer, and the hero was a poser who was into cross-dressing and was seemingly willing to go all the way....with a dude.

They need a PS3 remake of Chrono Trigger (Cause damned if I'm gonna get a sequel....I'd settle for a PSP port of Chrono Cross, which was awesome, at this point)

VIII>VII
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #26 on: 01 Nov 2007, 04:58 »

the hero was a poser who was into cross-dressing and was seemingly willing to go all the way....with a dude.

1. what
2. so what
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: 01 Nov 2007, 05:56 »

Crystal Chronicles is a spin-off, though to be accurate, none of the games are 'quintessential.' The closest any of the games in the series to actually having jack-all to do with each other is between XII and the Tactics spinoff (They take place in the same world some 1,000 or so years apart).

Actually, Isnt 12 a spin off of tactics?
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #28 on: 01 Nov 2007, 06:45 »

Not really. Tactics is a spinoff of the main series (Notice the lack of a number). Twelve just happens to be in the same world as Tactics. It'd be like saying that twelve was a spinoff of Vagrant Story.
JON MADE ME GAY

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 01 Nov 2007, 10:47 »

The story in VII is not the awesome thing that can cure cancer like the fanboys make it out to be, but nothing could be. It's substantially better from both a gameplay and a story perspective than VIII, in my opinion. I never did play IX, but I don't really feel like I'm missing out on much.

Hobbs

« Reply #30 on: 01 Nov 2007, 11:40 »

FF games past VII range from meh to rather poor. I hear good things about XII, but then again I heard good things about VIII and X so I am lumping XII with the meh crowd for now. Out of the first six I, IV, and VI are all recommended. II takes some work to get into, III is not meant to be for the NES (and the english translation dumbs the game down) and the DS remake is, well, its better but I'd rather they'd given it the treatment they gave I & II, which was to "SNES" the graphics. V is a nice game but it's not particularly special.

Other games of the same type that are recommended to anyone that cares: Chrono Trigger (SNES), Star Ocean (SNES, its a japanese game, but theres an english patch for those who own it legally, and an english rom for those who are not fussed about "pirating" a 10+ year old game), Star Ocean 2 (PSX), and Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)

ALSO BEFORE ANYONE FAILS HARD: the US SNES games Final Fantasy II and Final Fantasy III are actually IV and VI, respectively, but note that they are properly numbered in their remake versions.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #31 on: 01 Nov 2007, 11:43 »

FF games past VI range from meh to rather poor.

Fix'd for you.

P.S.: I love XII. The story may be lacking, but the gameplay was a huge leap forward.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #32 on: 01 Nov 2007, 14:36 »

I will now make an arbitrary ranking of my favorite FFs!

FFVI
FFX
FFV
FFVII
FFIX
FFI
FFIV
FFIII
FFII
FFVIII

BAM! You now know my opinion and can deduce things about me based on it!

Still haven't played FFXII. Very sad about it.
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2007, 17:09 by Ozymandias »
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #33 on: 01 Nov 2007, 15:43 »

You've played a game that isn't out yet? And you hated it?

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #34 on: 01 Nov 2007, 17:09 »

It was supposed to be a V.

Eat a dick.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #35 on: 01 Nov 2007, 19:43 »

You've played a game that isn't out yet? And you hated it?

Sounds like a Kotaku user to me...
JON MADE ME GAY

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
« Reply #36 on: 01 Nov 2007, 19:48 »

No, if he was a Kotaku user he'd go on and on about how awesome it is because it's a PS3 exclusive. And he'd somehow bring up the 360 RRoD's even if it has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation at all.

imapiratearg

« Reply #37 on: 08 Nov 2007, 13:00 »

As it turns out, my co-worker gave me a copy of VIII not VII.   :cry:

EDIT - But I did, however, get a copy of VII from a friend of mine!  WOOT!
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2007, 15:37 by imapiratearg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up