THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 09:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.  (Read 197665 times)

Bishop138

• Plantmonster
  • Suave....
Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.
« on: 10 Nov 2007, 23:09 »

Ok, I had a look around the music forum briefly and didn't find a general gig thread, I went and saw Muse last night and wanted to talk about it, but I didn't want to make a thread just to one gig (even though it was spectacular) so I decided I'd make it this topic instead. Talk about the gigs you've been to, what you thought about them, good, bad, changes, etc.

Now, about Muse. It was a pretty incredible show, Perth was the first date on the Australasian tour, and they decided to have the gig as an open air. The used this place called The Supreme Court Gardens, erected a pretty big stage and had a fair amount of rigging for lights and all that, including to the sides of the stage. The rigging on the sides were mainly for the speakers and also there was a huge screen on either side of the stage, there were also three screens in a line at the back of the stage the same size that could be used individually or as one big screen.

ANYWAY, the support band was fairly shitty, I didn't like them, they were called The Dirty Little Secrets (*cough* shit name *cough*). Halfway through their set though some crew stopped the band and told all of the crowd to move back, they were getting to close to the barriers in front of the stage (Who would have thought? People wanting to get close to the stage at a gig? What on Earth?) anyways, after about TWO HOURS of fucking around with that, moving and rebuilding the barricade, and getting water out to the crowd, they finally came up on stage and said thankyou for being patient, and then they put the fucking support band back on! At least it was only for two more songs, they then changed over the equipment real fucking fast, did the soundchecks and then the lights dimmed.

The show was pretty fucking spectacular, best visual show I've ever seen by far. Muse were going through songs, the crowd getting really into it, singing all the words along with them, Matt Bellamy was the most interesting to watch. There were a lot of their songs that had the whole "Stand up for what you believe" message being played with the crowd all coming together for it, it was pretty damn cool. And they would let the song finish but still keep playing and then just have almost a jam session, being able to rival the kind that you would find at Woodstock, it was awesome. They were going through their songs from all of their albums, rather than just playing from the most recent. They were going between their softer and lighter songs through to their more energetic songs, with Bellamy going to a sweet grand piano that had sections light up when he played, and back to guitar. I've got to say, that it's really quite hard to transfer the idea of what was going on during that show through this, but I seriously advise that if ever you get a chance to see Muse live. DO IT.

Peace out.
"Oh, that's not him taunting you.
That's his idea of a welcome gift.
Instead of a basket with wine and cheese,
you get jpegs of equine molestation."

Rawrbiquesauce

Re: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Nov 2007, 23:45 »

I missed a recent Broken Social Scene concert, and i feel like an ass for it.

However a week later i saw Thrice, and that was amazing.
I liked watching the kids with the emo haircuts that were there for MeWithoutYou (lol?) try to headbang to thrices weirdly timed beats.

also scrawny white kid plus mosh pit equals ouch

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2007, 00:01 »

i saw MUSE at the start of the year and pretty much agree with everything you said, really fun show. I've been to some great ones this year, and as tempting as it is, i won't talk about all of them. So Highlghts:

HERBIE HANCOCK. Fucking incredible show. Played for ages summing up most of a 58 year carreer. So energetic and just really into his music. Halfway through this guy randomnly walked out onto the stage and it was CHICK GODDAMN COREA totally unscheduled, hancock was as shocked as the crowd was, jammed with him for a good half hour. Could go on and on about it but i won't.

THE CURE. wasn't a massive fan before i saw them, but after being in the first row of the mosh pit for the 3 and a half hour show they are one of my favourite bands. Robert Smith was working the croud so well and obviously just having a really great time. Played so much. Really great show.

BOB DYLAN. He has been my all time favourite since I was 6, so as one can imagine, I was fairly excited about this show. There was alot of skepticism whether he could still hold his own, and he did. He sounded fantastic with his band, they were all really really into it. Played a really good set list but I wish it could have been longer.

Thats about all I can be bothered writing about. I'm going to both Big Day Out and The laneway festival so am looking forward to seeing ARCADE FIRE, OKKERVIL RIVER, BJORK, LCD SOUNDSYSTEM, MIDNIGHT JUGGERNAUTS, CLAP YOUR HANDS SAY YEAH, FEIST, BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE, BATTLES, and DAN DEACON among others in the coming months

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2007, 04:50 »

I saw Muse last night as well!

For my thoughts on the subject, please refer to my avatar.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2007, 05:57 »

I've noyl been to two festivals, no gigs. It depended on the band but sometimes the crowd just sat down and listened, other times we were all getting into it. I'm From Barcelona makes everyone happy! Port O'Brien makes some special people dance in the most awesome way. Yo La Tengo makes everyone get drunk and hit other people in the face. The crowd did not dance hard enough to Architecture in Helsinki. Everyone loves Tunng! Everyone loves Seasick Steve!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1350/858143583_36f574952c_o.jpg
http://www.endoftheroadfestival.com/noflash/images/lineup_img.jpg

Cernunnos

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • What
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2007, 07:35 »

Saw Caribou two nights ago. I like them twice as much now.

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2007, 08:50 »

I haven't been to many shows, but the best one I've probably been to was The Flying Eyes, a local band from my area in the vein of Jefferson Airplane.  There was a crazy lightshow for such a small venue, and I even saw my Theatre teacher there...>_>.  Hell, I only caught the last two songs (I had just gotten off work), and they were the best local band I'd seen.  The lead singer was dressed all like Janis Joplin and the guitarist was too young to have a mustache but he was trying to channel Jimi Hendrix. 

Now one of my friends is in a BM band, and they have one 35-minute song.  They played it in my friends basement during a halloween party.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2007, 09:15 »

I saw Muse in 2003 and it was so loud that I got tinnitus. Not majorly, but it's there, and I know it's there, particularly during silent moments.

They're an extremely good live act. Very much about the theatricality. Most of their music lends itself best to the live situation, and the gig was without doubt fantastic. But they're very sterile in my experience. Not a lot of stage banter, not a lot of humanity. The nearest comparison I can think of is Pink Floyd, who used to have a kind of claustrophobic humanity in the music (or even in like, The Wall, in the stage show too) that made up for the theatrics and lights.

I'll come back and ruminate on some other gigs shortly.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

öde

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2007, 13:15 »

Repo Man Battles is always intense.

The crowd liked them, I was a bit bored apart from John Stanier's drumming. Also a pixie kept bumping into me.

SleeperCylon

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2007, 14:15 »

I saw Of Montreal earlier this year.

Whoever designed the show probably isn't on acid, but obviously wants to give you the impression he was.  There was this random slideshow going on in the left and right sides of the screen and everybody was in weird crazy costumes.

Great show, but dudes, we're not buying it.  When you over-reach for weirdness it just comes off as stupid.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2007, 15:34 »

Mount Eerie played here at Bard Hall the other night. Bard Hall is a tiny, one room building on campus. The show was, in a word, unbelievable. It was one of the best concert experiences I've seen. Phil Elverum has an amazing presence, constantly talking and bantering with the audience and, when performing, clearly getting really into the music emotionally. This show was small- no more than 100-150 people, all sitting on the floor. I was sitting in the very front, directly in front of Phil who played alone with just an acoustic guitar. He played for over an hour and a half, all of it requests except for a couple of new songs, which meant he played pretty much all the very best songs from The Microphones and Mount Eerie. The last two songs ('A Show of Hands' and 'Human Human') were sing-alongs where we all sang the refrain and it actually sounded really great. I gotta say it was an amazing experience. Beautiful music, fantastic song writing, and a really cool, friendly performer to boot. Now I just have to find someone who has recorded it so I don't have to rely on memory to recall how brilliant the experience was.
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2007, 18:21 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #11 on: 11 Nov 2007, 15:55 »

I just went to see Matt Pond PA and a local band called The Year's Best play on Friday.  The former was amazing and wholly impressive while the former was great too.  Seeing The Year's Best again for the first time in two years brought back memories.

Ahh...good times...

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: 11 Nov 2007, 16:01 »

Hang on hang on hang on.

A mosh pit at a Cure concert? What did that involve. People glaring at each other, maybe little slappy fights?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 11 Nov 2007, 20:13 »

Mount Eerie played here at Bard Hall the other night........ I gotta say it was an amazing experience. Beautiful music, fantastic song writing, and a really cool, friendly performer to boot. Now I just have to find someone who has recorded it so I don't have to rely on memory to recall how brilliant the experience was.
Oh man, I saw him do a show as well. I found out about it the day of and only was going to see one of my favorite local acts playing. $5 for a show that will probably always be one of my favorites. There were only about 20 people there tops, just hanging out in this tiny, tiny little local venue that couldn't possibly hold more than 50 comfortably. The show was ridiculously good, including the little slideshow/movie Phil had going the entire time.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2007, 21:26 »

Hang on hang on hang on.

A mosh pit at a Cure concert? What did that involve. People glaring at each other, maybe little slappy fights?

Haha, yeah it did actually. i thought i was goin to choke from the amount of hair product in the air. The crowd was deffinitely the worst thing bout the show.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2007, 05:47 »

The last show I went to was Nine Inch Nails at the Horden Pavillion. Before I start I should make one thing clear: I hate people. I dislike crowds immensely. The fact that I would go somewhere where there is the chance that someone I don't know might even brush against me, let alone totally rub themselves on me in a way befitting a horrible travesty of a lap dance, is a testament to how much I like a band.

This was the second of two shows and as per usual this meant that Trent Reznor was not as chatty as he is on the opening night. Either way he still puts on a damn fine show and has a shitload of energy that really comes across well. They had this huge screen that dropped down in front of the band (is was mostly transparent when not lit up, it was basically a lot of light bulbs I think) and played stuff over them so that you could still see the band members but they would be vaguely obscured by static and whatnot. They played for about two hours straight which for most big bands is pretty standard though there was no encore and I was a little disappointed by that. The crowd, well I already stated my feelings on crowds but I would like to make it known that if you were born later than 1989 I probably don't like you and you would have to really impress me for me to take you seriously. At any rate they played my favourite songs, as well as some other ones I had forgotten so it was a good night by anyone's standards (especially mine).
The guitarist is a relatively new fellow and I believe he was previously in the Icarus Line. He is a nutjob - all running around the stage and kicking his right leg in the air like a crazy person. At one point he broke his guitar while trying to jump off an amp or something. I was about 20 feet from the stage, I could see Trent glare at him for a moment, I think he was pretty mad. Anyway it is nice to see that Trent has grown back his hair and has toned down the muscle mass. When I saw him last time he came out on stage and I thought I was seeing Henry Rollins coming out on stage and I wondered if I came on the wrong night (though Henry Rollins is still cool).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2007, 08:45 »

Tommy knows the guitarist you're talking about, Jimmy. He has promised stories but never delivered.

Yet another in a series of crushing disappointments foisted upon this forum by the nefarious Tommydski.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2007, 12:41 »

Most recent concert:
-Muse, Sept 10, 2007.
Opening act was Juliette and the Licks, loud, boring, no stage presence. Buuut, it provided enough time to go sneak into a much better seat. Second row, right in the middle.
The show was amazing. I'll admit it, going to a Muse concert was No. 1 on my to do list for life, and it was worthy of that spot. Set-list was spot on, played tons of their older stuff, including my favorite song. Near the end, they played a speech from Kennedy about not giving up liberty. Lighting was very good. Bellamy played a few songs with that crazy Kaoss pad that he has attatched to his guitar. Best two hours ever.

EDIT: imagist42- You are right, Bellamy lights up when he plays his light-up piano!
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 00:19 by morca007 »

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #18 on: 12 Nov 2007, 14:24 »

I saw Of Montreal earlier this year.

Whoever designed the show probably isn't on acid, but obviously wants to give you the impression he was.  There was this random slideshow going on in the left and right sides of the screen and everybody was in weird crazy costumes.

Great show, but dudes, we're not buying it.  When you over-reach for weirdness it just comes off as stupid.

But the music was still good, right? Because they're coming here this week and I'm not quite sure if I want to go.

I saw Spoon earlier this spring, so I got to hear "Don't Make Me a Target," "Don't You Evah" and "Eddie's Ragga" two months before Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga was released. I'm fairly in love with Britt Daniel as a singer (and from my hometown too!), and the rest of the band was really cool as they would keep on jamming while Daniel took a drink or went offstage to talk to the sound manager, especially Jim Eno, who I swear did not stop beating his drums all night long. Highlights include moshing with the fun drunk guys to "I Summon You" (for those of you who don't think this is a moshing song, it's an entirely different creature live, I assure you) and Jim Eno whipping out the big cloth-padded mallets for "Paper Tiger."

So far this fall I've seen Muse, Arcade Fire w/ LCD Soundsystem, and Interpol w/ Liars. Muse is truly something to behold, and I feel the same way that there's no accurate way to describe it. Bellamy and crew have by far the best showmanship I've ever seen, and the production to go along with it. At one point (maybe at the end of "Plug In Baby"?) Bellamy tipped over his speaker and jammed on his axe with the edge of it. Watching him play his light-up piano just made me warm and fuzzy inside.

However, there's just something about the combination of Arcade Fire and LCD Soundsystem that managed to top even Muse. It may be that James Murphy is my man-crush and consequently LCD Soundsystem was already my favorite group going into the show, but Arcade Fire certainly had something to do with it too. Muse was just too structured to have the sort of eclectic vitality and pure fun LCDSS had on that stage. I've almost never seen a crowd move like that, and nearly half of the peoiple there seemed entirely unfamiliar with them to begin with. Then Arcade Fire came out. Honestly, their visuals alone rivalled that of Muse, and to think on top of that they had just about everyone switching instruments between each and every song, and at some point Richard Parry and Will Butler took sticks and began banging on everything on stage, including a motorcycle helmet they had brought out specifically for that moment... it was just like watching an insane mob run rampant on stage, only Win and Regine held them all together to produce beautiful, beautiful music. Plus, the organ was really neat. The only bad thing I have to say is they didn't play "Crown of Love."

As far as Interpol w/ Liars go, it's not in any respect the best show I've ever been to (although it may have been a close contender if I had actually gotten there in time to see Shout Out Louds open), but for $13 it was certainly the best value. Liars... let's just leave it at, "they were terrible." But Interpol knew how to get their rock on, and didn't seem at all fazed by the fact that the crowd was a rowdy amalgam of drunks and stoners. They opened perfectly with "Pioneer to the Falls," played all of their best songs in the set, and then came back with both "PDA" AND "Specialist." What a set! Plus, some excellent ad lib jamming during older songs from Turn on the Bright Lights and Antics, and the visuals were decent enough, too. Of course Carlos D cracked us up by whispering into the microphone as they walked off stage, "Such good Christians" (this taking place in SLC).

Interesting thing to note: at every show except Muse, singers forgot/fudged their words. Britt Daniel during "Lines in the Suit" (played it off fairly well with some babbling substitution), Win Butler during "Power Out" (with an apologetic "f me"), and Paul Banks during "C'mere" (it took him a little bit to get back on track).
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 12 Nov 2007, 14:44 »

I'm going to see HIGH ON FUCKING FIRE this coming friday. It will be awesome.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #20 on: 12 Nov 2007, 15:36 »

The only reason I would go to see High on Fire on their current tour would be to see Mono again. I kinda wish they were playing a show nearby so I could watch Mono's set and then leave.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

WeThreeVoices

« Reply #21 on: 12 Nov 2007, 16:49 »

ive seen two shows in the recently

i saw Arcade fire with LCD sound system, which was an amazing show but a bit long for me. it was one of those all day type concerts with three opening bands. i spent the first 3 hours of the show sitting on the floor (really ground b/c it was outside) and watching people play scrabble. still the opening bands were good: after the show i downloaded "Les Savy Fav." once LCD started playing the show was fantastic; the crowd were i was was really into it b/c most were dancing, all were singing along. Arcade fire were very good, the drummer (as QC points out) did crazy stuff- at one point climbing the support beams.

the second show was of montreal. the two opening band were good, but MGMT's performance was a bit to static-y for my liking. the other group (grand buffet?) was hilarious -- a humorous white rap duet. Of montreal's preformance was amazing: they played all my absolute favorite songs, and put on a great show. they had a sword fight (among other things) on stage. the only fault i had with the show was they did an all instrimental songs (which i cant remember the name of off the top of my head) while Kevin Barnes went backstage. besides for that song, the audience got into the music everyone was dancing and singing along: there was a great atmosphere to the whole thing.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #22 on: 12 Nov 2007, 17:08 »

most memorable show i've seen was radiohead in camden NJ, august 2003. stephen malkmus and the jicks opened, radiohead came out and played basically every song we wanted to hear, then did nice dream, my iron lung, no surprises and karma police for an encore. they went backstage, then thom came out and picked up the "for a minute there i lost myself" part a cappella, singing with the crowd (ohh boy it was a moment). they came back out and did 2+2=5 and closed with everything in its right place.

i'm going to see saul williams later this week, will report back with details.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

2HourHiatus

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Select pistol, and then select your horse.
    • The Two Hour Hiatus
« Reply #23 on: 12 Nov 2007, 18:33 »

I saw Animal Collective in Toronto, in early September. Eric Copeland (a guy from Black Dice) opened, and it was ear-burning. He was half-entertaining, half-painful. But AC came out and were amazing. Panda Bear kept playing this keyboard that was so loud and low, you could feel it. Also, they did this fully electronic version of Leaf House that was incredible.
Lady, step inside my Hyundai...

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2007, 00:54 »

Liars... let's just leave it at, "they were terrible."

This, folks is a damn dirty lie. I saw the Liars with Interpol, and while the Liars were amazing (though they only played a little bit from Drum's Not Dead, and nothing from any other album that wasn't that or the newest), Interpol was boooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnggggggg. All Interpol songs sound the same*. Where I was (State Theatre in Minneapolis) everyone was standing up and NOT DANCING (not even nodding!) (okay except a couple of girls). I sat down and played with my Liars record the whole time. Oh yeah, and the Liars ended with The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack, which was absolutely gorgeous, which is actually a tie for "best concert moment ever" (the other one being Spencer Krug doing a really really slow version of You Are a Runner and I am my Father's Son with just his keyboard right before Sunset Rubdown played).

[*fact]
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2007, 04:43 »

i was at a Porcupine Tree gig yesterday, PORCUPINE TREE!!!!!!!
those were the best 150 minutes of my life so far
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

Morda

« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2007, 07:34 »

Was that the London show? My most recent gig was when they (Porcupine Tree) were in Oxford.

They were pretty awesome, their encore was utterly face-melting and included an utterly amazing rendition of Even Less and Halo.

Incidentally, I'm wondering what they played in London. There were some surprises in the set list, shall we say...

Also, gig tonight - Cardiacs, hopefully good, I've heard a lot about their live shows.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2007, 08:33 »

I am seeing Band of Horses on Thursday, so I will let all of you know how that goes. I am ridiculously excited for it.
Liz is touching me.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2007, 08:39 »

*Envy!*

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2007, 09:10 »

The last show I saw was American Steel/Lawrence Arms in Boston. Quite interesting in that the openers were Sundowner and The Falcon, which are both more or less also the Lawrence Arms, personnel-wise.

The show was fantastic, though. I'd never seen or heard American Steel before, but they turned out pretty good. The only problem with the Lawrence Arms set would be that they didn't play "Turnstiles".
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

SeanBateman

« Reply #30 on: 13 Nov 2007, 09:27 »

Is muse cool now? Is this what has happened? I thought they were kind of generally looked down on!

I am seeing of Montreal on Saturday!

Bishop138

• Plantmonster
  • Suave....
« Reply #31 on: 13 Nov 2007, 09:29 »

Is muse cool now? Is this what has happened? I thought they were kind of generally looked down on!

I am seeing of Montreal on Saturday!

Well I don't give a shit what other people think of them, I like their sound and such, that's all that matters to me.

And they put on an amazing show.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #32 on: 13 Nov 2007, 09:40 »

I guess Muse is cool now? People like them and stuff, and they don't get played on the radio outside of Europe so it's alright to enjoy them? I wouldn't be able to abide one of their gigs, I can hardly go to popular shows anymore because I can't stand the crowds.

I will be going to The Most Serene Republic tonight. Unfortunately Mother Mother will be there. I might be one of those dicks that goes outside and smokes for a whole set.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 09:45 by Johnny C »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:49 »

I haven't been to a gig since the last Wacken Open Air. What was that like? Kind of like THIS*

And also a bit of THIS

And a touch of THIS for seasoning.

I pity non-Europeans

*I am actually visible for a few seconds in this video, in the pit for 'For Those Who Died'. See if you can spot me! I jump out from the middle of two other people and off to the left at about 0:26 and then you can see me again running round the edge of the pit headbanging from 0:40. I'm wearing a black t-shirt and a denim cut-off. As if that helps
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #34 on: 13 Nov 2007, 13:04 »

I saw The Stooges and the Melvins live, guys.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

monkandmovies13

« Reply #35 on: 13 Nov 2007, 13:10 »

I saw The Pipettes last night. It was really a lot of fun! A lot of dancing and singing and laughing and being silly. I also met them afterwards, and they signed my CD and took a picture, and said that they noticed me dancing more than anyone around me and thought that was very cool. Not the most intellectual music, obviously, but so much fun and fantastic live. There was this opening act that was amzing though. I think her name is Nicole Adkins? Or something? Anyway, her CD just came out, and I can tell you right now she's going to be huge.

SeanBateman

« Reply #36 on: 13 Nov 2007, 13:32 »

I saw the stooges too. It was pretty cool!

Also people who say they don't give a shit what other people think about shit are lying.

The song Muse has in Guitar Hero 3 is fun though.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #37 on: 13 Nov 2007, 13:49 »

I am seeing Band of Horses on Thursday, so I will let all of you know how that goes. I am ridiculously excited for it.

I've seen them twice pretty much on accident because they were opening for other bands.

They're pretty boring live.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #38 on: 13 Nov 2007, 16:00 »

The last show I saw was Final Fantasy with opening bands Basia Bulat and Ohbijou for the Pop Montreal festival.
He was great, Ohbijou were great and Basia Bulat too. The best show I ever attended.
I was supposed to go see him again in Quebec City next Monday but I have school so better luck next time.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #39 on: 13 Nov 2007, 16:20 »

It's been a pretty good couple of months for gigs in London. Since the beginning of October I've seen the New Pornographers (seemed like a good performance, but the sound was so bad it killed the show), Battles (was a great show, full of their usual insane energy), Seasick Steve (quite the performer, and I love a bit of blues) and Animal Collective (second time recently, was a great show.. I've only really got into them in the last year or so, so it's still pretty fresh for me). Last weekend I also saw Andrew Bird, who always leaves me grinning like a moron at his shows, and Beirut, who were a lot of fun and made a refreshing change from everything else. I've also seen a load of smaller bands from London, most notably these guys (sadly they don't seem to get anything resembling the energy of their live shows across on record, but they're a lot of fun).

I need to get tickets for of Montreal when they play in December. Also, Caribou is playing here this month - worth catching? They're supported by Dirty Projectors, who I'd love to see, so I'm very tempted.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #40 on: 13 Nov 2007, 17:14 »

I've seen them twice pretty much on accident because they were opening for other bands.

They're pretty boring live.
God damn you.

Thanks for ruining my fun.
Liz is touching me.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #41 on: 13 Nov 2007, 17:58 »

I will admit that I really don't enjoy their music much at all. You seem to like them more than me.

I just prefer noise shows where things explode and people bleed from their foreheads.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Bishop138

• Plantmonster
  • Suave....
« Reply #42 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:02 »

Also people who say they don't give a shit what other people think about shit are lying.

Well if you're going to let other people oppinion dictate your listening selection, then that's your problem. Sure I don't like people ragging on the bands I like, but it's not like I'm going to stop listening to something I enjoy just because some arsehole says it's shit.

In other words, blow it out your arse.

SeanBateman

« Reply #43 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:10 »

Out my arse and onto your face.

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???
« Reply #44 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:37 »

Was that the London show? My most recent gig was when they (Porcupine Tree) were in Oxford.

They were pretty awesome, their encore was utterly face-melting and included an utterly amazing rendition of Even Less and Halo.

Incidentally, I'm wondering what they played in London. There were some surprises in the set list, shall we say...

Also, gig tonight - Cardiacs, hopefully good, I've heard a lot about their live shows.

no, I was in Zürich (switzerland)
they played some older songs (smart kid, waiting, dark matter, even less etc.) but unfortunately they dropped "the sky moves sideways" wich they played in london and at some germany shows

@ topic:
I saw Oceansize on 3.11., they were pretty cool

oh, and did I mention that I saw fucking CYNIC in july??
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2007, 01:40 by Der Turm, der Leute frass »
I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #45 on: 14 Nov 2007, 02:56 »

HERBIE HANCOCK. Fucking incredible show. Played for ages summing up most of a 58 year carreer. So energetic and just really into his music. Halfway through this guy randomnly walked out onto the stage and it was CHICK GODDAMN COREA totally unscheduled, hancock was as shocked as the crowd was, jammed with him for a good half hour. Could go on and on about it but i won't.

BOB DYLAN. He has been my all time favourite since I was 6, so as one can imagine, I was fairly excited about this show. There was alot of skepticism whether he could still hold his own, and he did. He sounded fantastic with his band, they were all really really into it. Played a really good set list but I wish it could have been longer.

I saw these!

Best gigs I've been to were Deerhoof (both times they were in Aus). Amazing band, especially live. The first show introduced me to Calvin Johnson and The Crayon Fields, who they played with. The second time was an overage show and Greg let me in the back door which was pretty much the best thing ever. They're such fantastic musicians.

The runner-up is actually some house show in North Fitzroy I think where Pikelet, Talkshow Boy, Actor/Model and Shooting At Unarmed Men (ex-McLusky bassist's new band based in Melbourne) played. Wine in bags, crowd singalongs, percussion handouts and drunken dancing made it totally awesome.

Next would be Mars Volta at Big Day Out. I don't really listen to them anymore (haven't heard Amputechture), but they put on a good show. I ran over to see Iggy + Stooges in the middle of it (grr @ scheduling them simultaneously), and immediately came back because it wasn't as good (no Raw Power songs and I couldn't see the pit).

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #46 on: 14 Nov 2007, 05:57 »

Right, Mother Mother were obnoxious twee fucks and Dragonette were irritating bastards with pre-recorded synths. Thankfully The Most Serene Republic were incredibly tight and played gorgeous music.

El_zilcho

« Reply #47 on: 14 Nov 2007, 06:56 »

Let's see, who have I seen this year?

I saw The Hold Steady two nights in a row, at Lupo's in Providence and Roxy in Boston.  The band was better in Boston, but the crowd was terrible.  Better crowd in Providence (that, and I was thoroughly liquored up).  They played a couple new songs "Ask Her for Adderall" and "Lord, I'm Discouraged," so I imagine they'll be hitting the studio soon after this tour ends.
I saw Gogol Bordello a couple weeks ago, also at Roxy.  That show was totally awesome.  I've never seen a band enjoy what they were doing as much as they did.
Caught The White Stripes in July.  Jack seemed a little pissed off about the sound quality,  but it was still a good show.  They played a lot of cuts off of The White Stripes and De Stijl, which was cool.
Saw Spoon back in April.  It was awesome to hear the new stuff before the album came out (which I think is one of the top releases of the year).
And I saw The Decemberists in February.  Very theatrical.  Bummer that they cancelled their fall tour, cause they're a great live act.

Muse is definitely on my list of bands to see.  I also haven't been able to make it to an Arcade Fire show yet.  LCD Soundsystem is a must for me too.  I missed of Montreal when they were in Boston last month, so I need to get with them next time around.

Lexington, 125

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #48 on: 14 Nov 2007, 09:25 »

Right, Mother Mother were obnoxious twee fucks and Dragonette were irritating bastards with pre-recorded synths. Thankfully The Most Serene Republic were incredibly tight and played gorgeous music.

I saw The Most Serene Republic with Broken Social Scene a couple years back, they were incredible!  I've been meaning to see them again.  Sadly, they haven't been around my area since. 

If I am good I could add years to my life, I would rather add some life to my years...

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #49 on: 14 Nov 2007, 13:44 »

I hate you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up