THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 08:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.  (Read 197834 times)

thedavo

• Plantmonster
Re: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.
« Reply #150 on: 18 Feb 2008, 14:19 »

Municipal waste were great here aswell. so much fun.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #151 on: 18 Feb 2008, 16:06 »

Unfortunately that's the limit of the music I'm going to see until probably the Mountain Goats in April (or August, I'm not sure).

The Mountain Goats have announced dates? Sweet.

I've been having a bit of a gig lull recently (apart from the annual return of the mighty Vulgargrad a couple of weeks ago), but it's all about to kick off again in an insanely big way as of next week. Between then and mid-March I'll be seeing Broken Social Scene, Feist, Beirut, Iron & Wine, Múm, Jens Lekman . . . Should be good!

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #152 on: 19 Feb 2008, 08:01 »

Municipal waste were great here aswell. so much fun.
Municipal Waste is BADASS live

Oh hell goddamn yes...

I got a knee in the face at one point, and I DID NOT CARE!

I did have to stop and get water a few times though, and that's pretty telling because I am actually in pretty darned good shape. But fuck, that moshpit was crazy.
Plus, they have some of the coolest stage banter ever.

Catacombs

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #153 on: 20 Feb 2008, 13:02 »

I saw the Foo Fighters last night at MSG.  They were fucking wild.  Against Me! opened for Serj Tankian who opened for the Foos.  Against Me! were good though i wish i had been there for more of their set.  I guess Serj was good but i don't like him.  Plus, he's a fucking wack job.
Seriously.  You know who's big on milking good deeds for PR points?  God.

Pixar: More Classy than God.

thedavo

• Plantmonster
« Reply #154 on: 20 Feb 2008, 15:59 »

i've just got back from seeing Dillinger Escape Plan and Between The Buried And Me. both bands were awesome for entirely different reasons.

PassiveTheory

« Reply #155 on: 20 Feb 2008, 16:44 »

Grand Ole Party at the Crepe Place (Santa Cruz) last night was fucking amazing. They're going to be HUGE.

Get Humanimals, their new CD. You will not regret it.

SOOOO glad I snagged the set-list. =D

nothingrevolutionary

« Reply #156 on: 20 Feb 2008, 22:30 »

I saw Joanna Newsom with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra two nights ago. It was the best concert I have ever been to and probably will ever be to. Seriously, words can not describe how amazing it was.
jelluz.  i want to see her live so bad.

segway (although i've heard rumors that they broke up): monday night i went to see bill callahan with jonathan meiberg, and it was phenomenal.

jonathan meiberg: i've never seen anyone try so hard to be jeff mangum and fail so miserably at it.  he was hilariously bad and he irritated the piss out of me.  he was part of bill's backing band, so he got less annoying as the night progressed (he's a genuinely good guitarist, at least), but man.  that solo thing.  whoo doggie.

bill callahan: ah, now the good part.  it was pretty much perfect.  his backing band fleshed things out just enough, the sound was great, the crowd wasn't too big and the atmosphere of the venue was perfect, he played every song i wanted to hear with the exception of "dirty pants", etc., etc.  he's beautiful and a genius and that is that.

at one point i considered driving to austin to see him live, so the fact that he was practically in my damn back yard was fucking sweet.   afterwards me and my friend talked to him and made him sign things and he seemed so uncomfortable about the whole thing.  admittedly we were reduced to giggling schoolgirls and i'd be willing to bet that's never happened to him in his entire career.

pinkpiche

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #157 on: 21 Feb 2008, 04:34 »

I saw Joanna Newsom with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra two nights ago. It was the best concert I have ever been to and probably will ever be to. Seriously, words can not describe how amazing it was.
jelluz.  i want to see her live so bad.

Yeah me too. I'm totally addicted to my vinyl copy of Ys.
"Yeah, they're always biting my shit you know how that goes"

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #158 on: 21 Feb 2008, 06:07 »

I just got back from Sonic Youth. Holy Fucking shit. Best gig I've been to. I was in the front row and about as close to Thurston as you cold be, I had several thousand roaring, head banging enthusiasts behind me and it was fucking sweet. These two canadian stoners befreinded my freind and I and they turned out to be the funnest nicest guys. And they pretty much led the party. There was bogan bitch annoying the hell out of us and in between songs one of the guys turned to her and screamed "THE WORLD DOES NOT FUCKING REVOLVE AROUND YOU! IT REVOLVES AROUND SONIC YOUTH- at which point the crowd roared in support and we got a nod of approval from Thurston.Seriously if you ever get the opportunity to see these guys just fucking take it. And i got Thurstons Pick!

pinkpiche

« Reply #159 on: 21 Feb 2008, 11:11 »

That sounds sweet!!

Mars Volta tomorrow. I am so stoked.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #160 on: 21 Feb 2008, 14:43 »

Ghengis Tron is playing here tomorrow. Aught to be a killer show. Lined up for the next couple months are Au Revoir Simone, Frog Eyes, Xiu Xiu, An Albatross and Converge. Should be a good mix of crazy good music. Guess I'll post my thoughts once I have them.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Beast

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I Was Born (A Unicorn)
« Reply #161 on: 21 Feb 2008, 15:18 »

I'm seeing Gogol Bordello on the March 4th
I had two cars but I wrecked em.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #162 on: 21 Feb 2008, 16:30 »

That sounds sweet!!

That will be Denmark then!?

In that case: FUCK YOU

I have no money, plus work the following morning. Craaaap...

Shadows Collide

« Reply #163 on: 21 Feb 2008, 17:35 »

Sonic Youth blew my fucking head off last night, in a good way. I've never gone so crazy over music, plus we were right up the front near Thurston and Kim Gordon, who was incredibly sexy and danced when she sang. Completely exhausted now though.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #164 on: 21 Feb 2008, 20:30 »

segway (although i've heard rumors that they broke up): monday night i went to see bill callahan with jonathan meiberg, and it was phenomenal.

I think they broke up a while ago. Last I heard she was going out with one of the masterminds behind Dick in a Box.

pinkpiche

« Reply #165 on: 21 Feb 2008, 21:44 »

That sounds sweet!!

Yup! Store Vega. Didn't think you were a TMV guy?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #166 on: 21 Feb 2008, 22:39 »

Tonight I saw A Place To Bury Strangers and Holy Fuck.

Both bands were excellent, but there's a post on the music blog outlining how incredibly disappointed I was by the sound of APTBS. Had the show been mixed right it would have been unimpeachable.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #167 on: 22 Feb 2008, 04:52 »

That sounds sweet!!

Yup! Store Vega. Didn't think you were a TMV guy?

Yeah I know, probably the best large-ish venue in the whole damn country!

Hey, if it's good, it's good, and The Marz Volta is DAMN good :)

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #168 on: 22 Feb 2008, 09:56 »

Tonight I saw A Place To Bury Strangers and Holy Fuck.

Hey! I saw them Tuesday- I was actually going to PM you about it since I knew they'd be in Regina. We had a dance party basically during Holy Fuck- they were more funky than I expected.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #169 on: 22 Feb 2008, 18:31 »

So groovy!

APTBS were great though. What a tremendous live act.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #170 on: 22 Feb 2008, 21:59 »

Holy Fuck are so much fun. I saw them a couple years ago and it was pretty much a dance party then too.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #171 on: 23 Feb 2008, 20:21 »

Holy shit guys, Sonic Youth. God damn. If you get half a chance, go see them and stand right up the front and have all the fun in the world with an excellent band playing great music really well. I really want to write some big long thing about the gig, but I keep getting stuck on 'it was pretty much perfect' and there's nothing I could say that hasn't been said about some other, less amazing show.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #172 on: 24 Feb 2008, 00:22 »

So now I am going to do everything I can to go see Explosions in the Sky next month (with Lichens and Black Moth Super Rainbow) but freaking Islands and Minus the Bear have to come on the night of my Physics final. So pissed off.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #173 on: 24 Feb 2008, 00:53 »

Oh man Sam I always call "Bad Kids" my theme song with everyone. The "They try to give us pills/ OH WAIT / give us all the pills!" is the best ever.

I saw Big John Bates and the Voodoo Dollz tonight. Basically a bluesy New-Orleans-backwoods-inspired rockabilly show with burlesque dancers. The Voodoo Dollz are sexy as hell, and I am always pro-women using their sexuality as empowerment. Plus they were good at twirlin their boobie tassels and dancing. To tell you exactly how awesome it was, I suck and never dance but I am super gross sweaty from shaking my baby-maker and it was probably because of their voodoo music magic.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #174 on: 24 Feb 2008, 02:38 »

I just got back from the laneway festival in Melbourne and I had a really good time. I just stuck to the main stage cause I managed to get front and centre. So "im gonna list the bands I saw in order of how much I enjoyed their set for people who can't be bothered reading my spiel:

1. Okkervil River- Goddamn are they a good live band. They seemed to be having such a time and had great energy. Really looking forward to see them again on Tuesday.

2. Broken Social Scene- Just an absolute blast, a pleasure to watch such talented musicians.

3. Feist- Fuck is she sexy. And fun. And an awesome singer. And a surprisingly good guitarist.

4.Devestations- Hadn't heard them before but really enjoyed there set.

5. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah- really dissappointing because I really enjoy there music but they were boring and looked bored.

6. The Panics- Just really quite dull.
« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2008, 16:06 by Ishotdanieljohnston »

pinkpiche

« Reply #175 on: 24 Feb 2008, 04:59 »

I just want to say that I was at The Mars Volta show this Friday and I got my face rocked clean off! 2 and a half hour's worth of show, INSANE drum solos (their new guy is unbelievable), Cedric's singing was flawless and the whole place was packed. I was standing up on one of the balconys and I could see almost all of the stage. There were only a little bit of mosh and a tiny bit of stage-diving and someone threw beer at the stage (near Omar's effectboard), which Cedric (rightfully) bitched about. "This is my dance floor, and that down there is your dance floor". They played four tracks off of De-Loused (Haunt of Roulette Dares and Eriatarka!!! e.g) and a few tracks from Frances and the rest was Goliath. The new record is actually pretty great. Amazing night.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #176 on: 24 Feb 2008, 05:35 »

I'll go cry now...

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #177 on: 24 Feb 2008, 07:31 »

Saw Genghis Tron last night. The Austerity Program opened. TAP is a two person band so it's a guitarist/vocalist and a bassist with some complex drum machine programing and a ton of amps. It was loud, fun punk/screamo although, as usual in bands like this, I kinda missed a live drummer. I feel like having a drum machine live makes these kinds of bands lose something in the way of energy, especially considering often the machine was programed to simply sound like regular drums and considering the times when it had a synthier sound they were such that they could have been produced on a real drum set with proper micing. Still they were quite good.
Genghis Tron was pretty awesome. It's only three guys and there's no bass or drums. It's guitars, vocals and a bunch of keyboards and synths and such. They combined electronics with elements of grindcore and screamo and despite the fact that that sounds kinda awful they were actually quite awesome. The lack of a drummer was again a hindrance I think and hurt the set a bit but not too much. The trio still had a ton of energy and made some very cool and complex sounds considering the lack of instruments. Overall a very fun show and it's gotten me even more excited for Converge in April.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #178 on: 26 Feb 2008, 07:59 »

i just got home after Okkervil River, and man, what a fucking show. i actually half want to go to a bad show so as I have somethign more unpredictable to say, but I'm on a real streak. They played everything you'd want them to play and with such ferocity and energy. You know you're watching a good show when they seem to be having as good a time as you. What can I say, it was sheer craftsmanship.

After I was having a few beers in a bar and the band wandered in, so I went and spoke to Will Sheff, came across as a really nice, humble man. We shook hands and i left him to the rather lovely looking lady who'd taken an interest in him.

My girlfreind took over 300 photo's so I might post a few of them in the next couple of days. Tommorow I'm seeing Broken Social Scene so I'll report back after that.

LucyStag

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #179 on: 26 Feb 2008, 13:54 »

I saw Against Me! last weekend, for the second time in my life. The show in '05 was amazing, this was less so. I wanted to like their new album -- as an added bonus of annoying people -- but most of it is just not exciting. Show-wise, it didn't help that they playe da short gig, were done by 10:00 pm and then the place turned into an under 21 nightclub and a bunch of God damn 15 year olds who needed emergeny pants transfussions started pole dancing.

That really didn't help me go out on a rock and roll, yeah!!!!! highnote. More like an urge to stab out my eyes, and the guilt that came with loathing those 15 year olds.

Wasn't I talking about music or something?

A Wet Helmet

• Beyoncé
  • The war against lolcats begins now
« Reply #180 on: 26 Feb 2008, 14:19 »

The first gig I went to was Black Flag back in '84.

Yeah... I'm old.

In the intervening 24 years, I've been to a lot of shows.  D.C. was a magic place in the late 80s for a music obsessed, angst ridden teenager.

pinkpiche

« Reply #181 on: 27 Feb 2008, 13:08 »

You seen Rites of Spring, Indian Summer or something like that?

Because if you have, I envy the flying fuck out of you

Nebetsu

« Reply #182 on: 27 Feb 2008, 13:12 »

Arrogant worms.

They were pretty awesome.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #183 on: 27 Feb 2008, 15:04 »

I strongly consider going to see Electric Eel Shock next saturday. Ie. the 8th.

I am certain it will be a lot of fun.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #184 on: 27 Feb 2008, 16:58 »

I was meant to go to Broken Social Scene last night but work got in the way   :cry:

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #185 on: 27 Feb 2008, 19:59 »

You missed a pretty good show! Though not as good as their show at the Corner when they were last out here in 2006. Only about half the band were there, but Kevin Drew said that hopefully it won't be another two years until they're next out here, and that when they next come to Australia they'll try to bring some "girls and horns" with them.

I saw Feist at the Prince in St. Kilda a couple of nights ago. It was a pretty awesome gig, so much so that instead of writing about it here I think I'll do a fuller review and put it up on the music blog.

Shadows Collide

« Reply #186 on: 27 Feb 2008, 22:22 »

I was at both Feist and Broken Social Scene. Last night the best song was a new one for me, the one named after a Mexican town they like. That, or Cause=Time.

Does anyone know why Feist wasn't there at all? At her show, she said she would be pissed if the others weren't at her show. She was particularly amazing on Tuesday when she performed my favorite song of hers "The Water" on piano. Great show.

muffy

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #187 on: 03 Mar 2008, 14:14 »

i just got home after Okkervil River, and man, what a fucking show. i actually half want to go to a bad show so as I have somethign more unpredictable to say, but I'm on a real streak. They played everything you'd want them to play and with such ferocity and energy. You know you're watching a good show when they seem to be having as good a time as you. What can I say, it was sheer craftsmanship.

After I was having a few beers in a bar and the band wandered in, so I went and spoke to Will Sheff, came across as a really nice, humble man. We shook hands and i left him to the rather lovely looking lady who'd taken an interest in him.

My girlfreind took over 300 photo's so I might post a few of them in the next couple of days. Tommorow I'm seeing Broken Social Scene so I'll report back after that.

I saw them a couple of years back, and they were absolutely spectacular - I went to the show not having heard them on record, yet every song was immense and had a way of pulling you in straight away - Will Sheff kind of sings like a sober Tim Kasher...also, met them then and they were among some of the nicest, most sound people ever, and gave me a copy of Black Sheep Boy - I'm gutted that I missed them on their more recent outings, though :(

Other good gigs recently (ish):
Furthest Drive Home/Tellison/The Maple State - Erring to the generic side of emo-ness, but still a sign that the genre hasn't wiped itself out entirely, all of the bands had enough oomph to sound awesome on stage. The audience credited their efforts by standing rigid and staring the ENTIRE TIME. I think I was one of about two people attempting to move.

Tonight Is Goodbye - kind of disappointing - Largely because all-ages gigs are either: full of people desperate to see the bands, who are young enough not to have cultivated the kind of polite disdain for the musicians on stage and dance like their lives depend on it (the good kind),  or the kind of all-ages gig where you walk into a room full of 15 year old scenesters-in-training who turn and stare because a) you're a foot taller than them and b) you're not kitted out in the kind of clothes they sell in the catalogues that come with Kerrang! magazine. It would have been ok if the band were special enough to detract from it, but, they weren't.

The Good Life - I've never seen Tim Kasher so pissed on a stage. Or on an amp. Or skating round the venue on said amp. Still pretty immense.

And, I'm missing MGMT tomorrow because it's sold out and my blagging skills have deserted me, missed I Was A Cub Scout last week because I was putting on a club night (which the drummer later came to - woop!), missed Grammatics because they cancelled...

BUT - seeing This City/Data:Select:Party next week and The Ghost Frequency the week after.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #188 on: 03 Mar 2008, 14:49 »

Man, Broken Social Scenes performance at the Brisbane Laneway was pretty average in terms of the songs they played, I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the last time they came out, but with that said, the finale of "It's all Gonna Break" was amazing. There was some kind of technical malfunction but the way they played around it and worked it into the song was brilliant, and seeing Stars and BSS back to back was great. I actually enjoyed Stars performance more than Broken Social Scenes actually, which I didn't expect at all, considering they seemed to sound a bit dead at first, but by the end of their set I was going nuts, and then they closed with "Your Ex-Lover is Dead"

I actually bailed for Feist because it was just too many people and I didn't know enough of her songs to bother so I kind of retreated to the smoking area to calm down and shake some of the acid out of my head, since there was nobody in there.

I wound up hearing some of CYHSY, which was nice, but I bailed before the presets just because I couldn't be fucked by that point, I was having trouble keeping my head together and I left to get pissed.

Earlier in the day, I also managed to see Damn Arms and Okkervil River, both who were utterly fantastic.

Really the weirdest thing about Laneway was just how many people I haven't seen in ages that I ran into, and the fact that I didn't remember any of them. Apparently I am a lot more memorable than I am capable of remembering people.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #189 on: 04 Mar 2008, 16:41 »

YOU GUYS

I'M SEEING DILLINGER ESCAPE PLAN TOMORROW

I'LL PROBABLY DIE IN THE MOSHPIT

NICE KNOWIN' YALL

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #190 on: 07 Mar 2008, 05:33 »

I got surprise free tickets to John Williams today and just got back from this incredible show. Fuck can that man play. He wasn't on for nearly as long as i would have liked, the rest of the set was filled with wonderful Mahler renditions from the Melbourne Symphony.
 HOORAY FOR FREE SHOWS!!!

If work doesn't get in the way again I'm going to Cat Power and Beirut next week, fingers crossed.

pinkpiche

« Reply #191 on: 07 Mar 2008, 05:54 »

I'm seeing Efterklang tomorrow! Will report in due time

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #192 on: 07 Mar 2008, 05:55 »

Expect a few goodies from me in the next two weeks, including:

Dropkick Murphys/Ted Leo & The Pharmacists
Fu Manchu
Tilly & The Wall
and possibly a trip to see Holy Fuck.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #193 on: 07 Mar 2008, 08:33 »

I went to see Perth Express with Mob Rules, Threads, Burning The Prospect and Fluid last night. Mob Rules were excellent, lots of Man Is The Bastard and general evil hatred in the mix. Thoroughly unpleasant and negative, that band are going to do some great things. Threads didn't grab me too much but then again hard rock and heavy metal isn't my favourite thing. I like it and all maybe not enough to go for Threads, so I think my disinterest was due to my tastes rather than any failings on their part. Burning The Prospect kicked out a dense d-beat wall of sound but it all seemed a bit uninspired to me. Fluid I missed due to catching up with people. Perth Express were amazing, far more intense than when I saw them a couple of years ago (and I liked them then). They played like they were on the edge of collapse and managed to give a unique spin on that whole epic crust sound with a more compacted metalcore vibe. That's a rubbish description but they really were something special, I really recommend anyone who likes Tragedy, His Hero Is Gone and The Endless Blockade to check them out.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

pinkpiche

« Reply #194 on: 08 Mar 2008, 01:10 »

Perth Express are excellent! I saw them once up at 1000fryd here in DK and they really know how to kick a show.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #195 on: 08 Mar 2008, 23:57 »

I just heard that this tour will be their last, they're going to call it a day once they're done. A real shame.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

pinkpiche

« Reply #196 on: 09 Mar 2008, 09:42 »

Yes I heard that too. Too many good bands are throwing in the towel.

Efterklang, with Peter Broderick

I swear this show is in my all time top 5 shows-list! And I've seen Boris.
Seriously though, Parades didn't really catch my attention the first four or five times I listened to it. Didn't have enough RAWK. But god was I wrong. They rocked the stage off, while maintaining a tension that was almost unbearable at times. It was mostly tracks off of Parades as well as two tracks from their previous record, Tripper. They merged the brass section equally with a fantastic choir and their unique blend of glacial electronica, and still they rocked. It was amazing. They were wearing costumes as usual:

http://jp.dk/kultur/popmusik/concerts/article1171787.ece?showInfo=image&relatedField=picFrontpageArtTop

That picture doesn't really do them justice though. I think it was the most accomplished mix of music, graphics and "style" I've seen in a long time. Panic at the Disco can go fucking shoot themselves. Other than that, there wasn't ONE person not smiling the whole show through. Efterklang is a fascist-killing machine, for sure.
« Last Edit: 09 Mar 2008, 09:44 by pinkpiche »

quietnow

• Furry furrier
« Reply #197 on: 09 Mar 2008, 10:32 »

last night i went to the smell and saw the mae shi with few other bands, notably, old time relijun, whose drummer is really cute.

my thoughts? i need to do this more.  it has been eons since i've been to a real garage-type show.  even though the smell is a pretty popular place for hipsters, it is tiny, and independently run, and reminds me of an all ages club i grew up at in orange county.  it has been probably three years since i've felt so HAPPY at a show, and i've never felt so INCLUDED.  the only band that even comes close to this kind of feeling in my memory is against me!, who went and started making bullshit that doesn't have anything to do with me.  maybe crass-era chumbawumba was also similar.  the plus is that the mae shi aren't political, so you get all the fun without the sermon.

there was a canvas tarp that got thrown over the pit.  about 78% of the show i had no fucking clue where the band was (except bill and whoever's on keys), because the entire fucking crowd was onstage, singing every song.  in fact, it was the crowd that started singing their banger, run to your grave, at the end of their short set (like 4 or 5 songs?), and it was not like it was on the cd. it was how we made it.  thee end.

they're playing like 15 shows at sxsw, so go see them.  you won't regret it.  http://www.myspace.com/themaeshi
Quote from: Sam
Anyone who doesn't have a crush on Kari is doing it wrong.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #198 on: 09 Mar 2008, 11:02 »

Guys, Electric Eel Shock is THE BEST LIVE BAND EVER!!!!

Noct

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #199 on: 09 Mar 2008, 14:34 »

I just did a little personal bloggy-type thing about a little show I went to last night, so I guess I'll just paste it in here.

The Venue:  Bordello is a little bar on the edge of little tokyo (I guess?) that, in an earlier lifetime, served as a legal and functioning brothel.  The decor is consistent with its name and history; lots of red, heavy velvet curtains, black chandeliers, low light, etc.  The sound in the main stage area was pretty good, loud, but not horribly distorted, and the mixing was pretty good.  Overall, good little place.

Opening Band:  I never did catch the name of the band that went on before LoveLikeFire.  They mentioned it a couple times, but could never make it out.  This is actually fairly indicative of their vocals which were not my favorite thing in the world.  They had a couple interesting songs, but most of it was fairly same-y indie rock stuff.  Didn't make much of an impresssion on me.

LoveLikeFire (http://www.myspace.com/lovelikefire):  I've only been aware of this band for about a week but in that time I've really fallen in love with them, and their live show did not disappoint.  Ann Yu's vocals were absolutely spot-on, go hit up their myspace and check out "From a Tower", her voice is absolutely perfect for this type of song.  She is capable if singing more cleanly, but I love it when her voice has more of that quirky edge to it.  She's also completely adorable whist rocking-the-fuck-out.  It wouldn't have hurt if they pushed her vocals a bit higher in the mix though, I really would have liked to hear more.  The upside to this is that it really drew more attention to their soaringly epic guitar work.  Nothing overly complex, mind you, but it was a big and richly textured sound that's much more powerful than on their recorded work.  The rhythm section was rock solid, sometimes breaking into a galloping western-themed beat, mostly keeping it fairly steady, always more interesting than your standard rock beat.

TL,DR version: They blew me away, and I hope these guys make it big.  Go listen to them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up