THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.  (Read 196061 times)

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
Re: Gigs you've been to and your thoughts.
« Reply #50 on: 15 Nov 2007, 00:00 »

Kai quote.
Liz quote.

It's okay, Liz; he said that to me too when I saw them in Chicago. I guess I liked them but I was awfully drunk, and everything's awesome then. I just dislike that it's all ages (sorry!) because it's more expensive and it's so early!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #51 on: 15 Nov 2007, 07:10 »

Yeah, I know. It is only $11, that's not all that expensive! But I do agree on the early part, I don't see why all-ages shows can't start at 10 or 11 like other ones. If you or your parents don't want you staying up that late, you shouldn't be going to the show.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #52 on: 15 Nov 2007, 07:20 »

I just saw Yo La Tengo with Broken Social Scene presents Kevin Drew on Sunday.  I went for the Yo La but ended up thoroughly enjoying BSS as well.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #53 on: 15 Nov 2007, 09:32 »

For anyone who paid attention in the sendspace thread: I'm going to see the Peter Brotzmann Trio live next month.

On topic: the Black Lips are pretty awsome live.
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2007, 09:35 by Misereatur »
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #54 on: 15 Nov 2007, 09:59 »

I should mention how recockulous Dropkick Murphys was this past St. Patrick's Day, and I mean that in both a good and bad way. While their show (and the openers, Deadly Sins and The Aggrolites) was nothing less than great, the venue (Boston University) and the security was horrid. The GA section of the arena was split into two, with about a 30 foot gap between them. My friend and I were stuck in the back section. Secondly, BU's no moshing rule. I understand you don't want your shiny hockey arena trashed, but we had security in our faces the entire second half of the Murphys' set trying to pull kids out of the back section of the floor. At one point, a friend in the front section ran back to say hi to me, and was immediately thrown down by security. Absolute bullshit.

I'm hoping that with the Avalon closed for renovations, they can find a good venue for next year's shows that isn't BU.

Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

kablaaamo

« Reply #55 on: 15 Nov 2007, 16:09 »

Right, Mother Mother were obnoxious twee fucks and Dragonette were irritating bastards with pre-recorded synths. Thankfully The Most Serene Republic were incredibly tight and played gorgeous music.
I saw The Most Serene Republic with Broken Social Scene a couple years back, they were incredible!  I've been meaning to see them again.  Sadly, they haven't been around my area since. 

I've seen the Most Serene Republic three times.....far and away one of my favourite live acts. Some folk think that Adrian can be a little overdramatic (and yeah, it's an understatement) but I eat it up. They're so good. That being said I decided not to go see them on this tour due to a severe severe SEVERE lack of sleep.

Instead, I saw Do Make Say Think two days beforehand, and wow, what a mistake. They're beautiful on record but ridiculously boring live. Especially since the crowd they attract is prett much all old and overly pretentious.

COMING UP NEXT IS FINAL FANTASY AFWOERUJSOEJWMROUJ I AM EXCITED. No need to tell me how good he is live, I've seen him before, I am ridiculously stoked to hear some new material and pretty much my entire crew is going as the show is the 'big deal' of the season, it seems. IT IS ALSO MY BIRTHDAY WEORUJSMCFOWERJWEFM BEST SHOW CIRCUMSTANCES POSSIBLE.

Bishop138

• Plantmonster
  • Suave....
« Reply #56 on: 15 Nov 2007, 19:26 »

I should mention how recockulous Dropkick Murphys was this past St. Patrick's Day, and I mean that in both a good and bad way. While their show (and the openers, Deadly Sins and The Aggrolites) was nothing less than great, the venue (Boston University) and the security was horrid. The GA section of the arena was split into two, with about a 30 foot gap between them. My friend and I were stuck in the back section. Secondly, BU's no moshing rule. I understand you don't want your shiny hockey arena trashed, but we had security in our faces the entire second half of the Murphys' set trying to pull kids out of the back section of the floor. At one point, a friend in the front section ran back to say hi to me, and was immediately thrown down by security. Absolute bullshit.

I'm hoping that with the Avalon closed for renovations, they can find a good venue for next year's shows that isn't BU.

Oh man, that's sketchy as fuck! Dropkick Murphys came here, I saw them, to this day it was one of my favourite gigs. I can't imagine one of their gigs without a mosh, that'd just be re-dick-ulous! It was a really fun night for me, and the crowd was fucking great, just rough enough so that you could get knocked around, but as with almost all Perth crowds friendly enough to pull up fallen comrades. It was such a great atmoshphere (heh, I just made a new word!), you could throw an arm around the dude next to you and you'd be both singing along and all that shit, it was kick arse!
"Oh, that's not him taunting you.
That's his idea of a welcome gift.
Instead of a basket with wine and cheese,
you get jpegs of equine molestation."

Felix_

« Reply #57 on: 15 Nov 2007, 23:55 »

A few weeks ago I saw play out in the forest on a night with a full moon and a bonfire nearby.

It was "kvlt" to say the least.

;)

Bishop138

• Plantmonster
  • Suave....
« Reply #58 on: 16 Nov 2007, 00:06 »

Aw geeze, that's gr1m!
"Oh, that's not him taunting you.
That's his idea of a welcome gift.
Instead of a basket with wine and cheese,
you get jpegs of equine molestation."

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 16 Nov 2007, 07:00 »

Oh man, that's sketchy as fuck! Dropkick Murphys came here, I saw them, to this day it was one of my favourite gigs. I can't imagine one of their gigs without a mosh, that'd just be re-dick-ulous! It was a really fun night for me, and the crowd was fucking great, just rough enough so that you could get knocked around, but as with almost all Perth crowds friendly enough to pull up fallen comrades. It was such a great atmoshphere (heh, I just made a new word!), you could throw an arm around the dude next to you and you'd be both singing along and all that shit, it was kick arse!

Yeah. Yelling the words to "Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced" with a security guard in your face is kinda awkward.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #60 on: 16 Nov 2007, 07:07 »

Band of Horses last night was ridiculously good. If  you would like photographic evidence, here it is,.
Liz is touching me.

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #61 on: 16 Nov 2007, 15:39 »

Felix- That Wolves gig sounds so amazingly awesome.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #62 on: 16 Nov 2007, 16:15 »

I too am hugely jealous of the Wolves gig. I don't like a lot of BM but they're one of the few I can really get down with, and playing out in the woods... that's pure BM class.

For anyone who paid attention in the sendspace thread: I'm going to see the Peter Brotzmann Trio live next month.

Peter Brotzmann is jaw-dropping live, I saw him play at ATP last year with Han Bennink and it was astounding.

I went to see Schwervon last night. They were good, I realised I've had songs by them floating around in my head for years without realising who they were by. Still, good as they were I was left with this feeling of how unremarkable they were. Odd since I did enjoy their set but somehow in retrospect they were... well, not bad but simply yet another example of a style of music I've seen too much of lately. I think I'm getting a little bored of DIY without bite to it. There needs to be more kicking of arse, and Schwervon did not deliver that. I feel kind of bad that this little review is so negative, so I guess I should reiterate that they really are very good at the whole sweet male/female indie pop duo thing.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Melt Down

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #63 on: 16 Nov 2007, 17:03 »

i went to see the Killers last Tuesday.

I know some of you will have instantly stopped reading just for that, but for the rest of you, the were well worth it live

i was way more into them when i picked up the tickets few months back, but they were pretty awesome live, and that was a good enough reason to buy their new album.

Unfortunately, they had two front bands, the concert started at 7:45 and we only saw the killers at 9:30 ish, so that kinda sucked.

Overall, when they were on stage they were good, but they weren't on long enough.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #64 on: 16 Nov 2007, 17:21 »

I don't get it, why is simply having two support bands not enough? Less than three bands on a bill and I usually won't show. 9.30 also seems like a very reasonable time to start playing, unless you live somewhere with insanely early curfews then that would leave at least an hour and a half for them to play and I can't think of any bands I'd like to see do a set longer than that.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #65 on: 16 Nov 2007, 19:40 »

Used to be all bands would have to finish at about 11, a\s thats when the bars closed. At least thats downb here in the south
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #66 on: 16 Nov 2007, 22:30 »

I like your pictures Liz! I didn't end up going to Band of Horses-went to Charlie Parr instead. He fit my two criteria for male solo artists--1. Is he oldish and 2. does he  have a beard. It was at an insanely classy joint too!
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #67 on: 16 Nov 2007, 23:26 »

I saw the Panda Band at the easter show earlier this year.

They got up on stage and the scenester kids who were there looked up and were all like "ohh look band, wait a second they're not dressed entirely in black and they don't look like they've ever been on the cover Rolling Stone. Come social zombie bretheren lets take our leave!"
They then all waddled off in their unfathomably tight black jeans in search of a place where they could smoke. 
at 1st the band was a little down-hearted by the sudden mass departure but after like 10-minutes they really warmed/loosened up for the me and the 4 stoner kids that were hangin around.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #68 on: 17 Nov 2007, 00:03 »

oh whoops saul williams turned out to be a combination poetry reading and question/answer session and not a gig proper

still absolutely great though. dude has a mind like a steel trap. dresses well, too.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #69 on: 17 Nov 2007, 02:53 »

Band of Horses last night was ridiculously good. If  you would like photographic evidence, here it is,.

I envy you so much

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #70 on: 17 Nov 2007, 08:16 »

Seconded.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #71 on: 17 Nov 2007, 08:32 »

I don't get it, why is simply having two support bands not enough?

Personally I'm happy with being on a two-band bill at a smaller gig. It means I get paid decently and the other band gets paid decently too.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

imagist42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • more post-coital, less post-rock
« Reply #72 on: 17 Nov 2007, 11:05 »

Liars... let's just leave it at, "they were terrible."

This, folks is a damn dirty lie. I saw the Liars with Interpol, and while the Liars were amazing (though they only played a little bit from Drum's Not Dead, and nothing from any other album that wasn't that or the newest), Interpol was boooooorrrrrrriiiiiiiiiinnnnnnggggggg. All Interpol songs sound the same*. Where I was (State Theatre in Minneapolis) everyone was standing up and NOT DANCING (not even nodding!) (okay except a couple of girls). I sat down and played with my Liars record the whole time. Oh yeah, and the Liars ended with The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack, which was absolutely gorgeous, which is actually a tie for "best concert moment ever" (the other one being Spencer Krug doing a really really slow version of You Are a Runner and I am my Father's Son with just his keyboard right before Sunset Rubdown played).

[*fact]

You and I saw two different shows. We didn't get "The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack" (one of the only songs from either They Were Wrong or Drum's Not Dead that I really care about) and did get all the worst tracks from their latest. The only song in the set that didn't disappoint me was "Houseclouds." Plus, I really don't care for their mannerisms on stage. They just try far too hard to be far too eccentric and it becomes more obnoxious than anything else. Now, I would pay loads to see Krug doing what you describe, but unless their next record is roundhouse-to-the-face amazing, I won't go out of my way to see Liars again.
Hopefully it goes without saying but you should always ask before sticking things in people's butts

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #73 on: 17 Nov 2007, 11:55 »

Krug better get himself down to Sydney and play an all ages gig or i will be very unhappy.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #74 on: 17 Nov 2007, 15:30 »

I envy you so much

Good, I like that. I also had a nice chat with Ben and snagged a setlist at the end of the show.
Liz is touching me.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #75 on: 17 Nov 2007, 22:36 »

I don't get it, why is simply having two support bands not enough?

Personally I'm happy with being on a two-band bill at a smaller gig. It means I get paid decently and the other band gets paid decently too.

I suppose it depends on where you're playing. Round here there's always gig clashes so having only two bands playing means a lot of people will go elsewhere, so nobody's going to get paid. It might sound cheap but if my £4 can get me four bands instead of two then nine times out of ten that's the gig I'll be at.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 17 Nov 2007, 22:46 »

Just got back from seeing Wintersleep.  The show was fantastic.  They played a ton off of their untitled album, were really tight and rocking.  The drummer was intense, his hand constantly a blur, and the rest of the band meshed beautifully.  Tons of energy and great showmanship.  Highly, highly recommended.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #77 on: 18 Nov 2007, 04:01 »

I went to the Out Of Line festival last night. Which was supposed to go from 5pm til late, with Hocico headlining. Instead, the incompetent promoter forgot to get Hocico (Mexicans) a work visa and their tour bus was held at the border for hours, and eventually they were forbidden to enter the country. Gig didn't start til 8.

Could've been a shambles given the shortened sets but the other bands played on (all were from EU so no worries) and the colossal fuckup made the Germans really angry, which kinda suits an EBM show. Ashbury Heights were mindblowing, Proceed were so-so (smoke break) and Spetsnaz tore shit up, seen em a couple of times and wasn't that engaged by 'em last time but they were so fucked off that their set was just mindblowingly energetic, and great sound too. Good night.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #78 on: 18 Nov 2007, 04:10 »

Aren't Spesnatz Swedish?
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 18 Nov 2007, 04:11 »

Yeah, probably. I just assume angry EBM bands with accents are German. lol racist

pompiste

« Reply #80 on: 20 Nov 2007, 18:38 »

In response to a couple people out there who said that Muse are incredible live, I wholeheartedly agree.  I've seen a few of their performances online, and they're quite good.  I've been a fan of their music for a decent time now.

I finally got to see them in concert in St. Petersburg (FL) about six or seven months ago.  I was overwhelmingly excited, except for the fact that they were the opening band.  For My Chemical Romance.

Muse was pretty great, though our seats (I went with my mother, father, and twelve-year-old brother) were rather crappy.  They only played from the two most recent albums, which was neither unexpected nor necessarily a bad thing; still, I wish they could have played a bit of Origin of Symmetry.  As an opening act, however, I didn't really expect a two-hour performance; they played six songs or so.  Honestly, I completely dislike MCR, so I would have left after Muse was done.  My family wanted to stay, though, so I sat through My Chemical Romance and, frankly, they weren't really that bad at all.  They obviously had a far more elaborate set than Muse, pyrotechnics and all.  Either way, it was certainly a fun night.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want to see Muse in concert, I would strongly recommend going if they're the main act.  If they're opening, however, I would still go; just take into account that unless it's a massive show, it really isn't going to be anywhere near as epic as you might hope or expect.

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #81 on: 20 Nov 2007, 18:44 »

I saw the White Stripes at Madison Square Garden a few months back. It was incredible. The duo had so much energy, and everyone was singing along and they interacted with the crowd so well and played a 15-minute version of Death Letter which was amazing. Also, Nick fucking Cave opened with his band Grinderman, which was also awesome. One of the best gigs I've been to.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #82 on: 20 Nov 2007, 20:47 »

I'll read the thread in its entirety when I'm at the office tomorrow, (can't be bothered to right now), but here's my contribution:

Art Brut / The Hold Steady. Halloween 2007. Metro. Chicago, Illinois. -- It was a massive night.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

kablaaamo

« Reply #83 on: 20 Nov 2007, 21:40 »

Just saw Final Fantasy.

Yep. He was good, but a little snippy; apparently, it was the last night of touring that had been going on since April. I wasn't wholly impressed but I suppose I can't blame the dude for being tired.

Lexington, 125

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #84 on: 20 Nov 2007, 22:17 »

I went to see Bright Eyes/ Felice Brothers last thursday, & it was a solid show.  Felice brothers  played a great set, & really kicked the show off well.  Bright Eyes played a good mix of older/newer songs, & were pretty tight.  Lua was performed with James Felice on accordian, & all of Felice Brothers joined Bright Eyes onstage for a couple songs.  They did a Neil Young cover, & I'm pretty sure they played a Petty cover as well.   Bright Eyes ended with something that sounded like Desaparecidos, which made me happy.  I've since been on a non-stop Felice kick & will likely go to see them in Syracuse (with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band) early December.
If I am good I could add years to my life, I would rather add some life to my years...

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #85 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:48 »

It's not really a gig, but I stopped by a cafe to catch a friend of mine do a splendid cover of "Lua" for open mic night.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!
« Reply #86 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:55 »

Just saw Final Fantasy.

Yep. He was good, but a little snippy; apparently, it was the last night of touring that had been going on since April. I wasn't wholly impressed but I suppose I can't blame the dude for being tired.

I'm not sure I can imagine seeing Final Fantasy at a conventional gig. I mean, if he was playing London, I'd go, but I saw him play at Latitude Festival, and there was something about watching him in the woods that seemed just right.
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #87 on: 11 Jan 2008, 22:45 »

This hasn't been done for a while but I think it's a good thread. So here is a revival attempt.

Alright, couple of weeks ago I saw Built to Spill and they were really good. Unbelievably into their music, I think half the time they forgot there was even an audience watching them. It was a horrendously hot night and half way through a guy front and centre collapsed onto the stage. Only one of the guitarists noticed and started calling out for security. Who just didn't come. Couple of minutes later he stopped the show to help the guy himself and give him his water. I was also impressed by how "un-indie" they looked. They were just wearing crumpled t-shits and were balding and over weight. Its obviously more about the music than it is the image. They finished with "Randy described eternity", which went into this epic ambient jam which felt like it lasted the century. That was the lowlight actually, the encore should be cleaner than that, leave the show on a high.

Last nnight I saw Andrew Bird. Excellent show. I dragged along my girlfreind who'd never heard of him. This was a very big mistake. Within 15 minutes, she was whispering: "he shall be mine, oh yes, he shall be". It was a great show though, even with her quite publically swooning with me by her side. We got some Nervous Tic Motion action, which is always good. He read the crowd very well, and changed the set list a couple of time to meet their demands. Really funny, crazy, charismatic guy. Fucking talented. I'd deffinitely see him again. Most impressive was his masterly use of the loop pedal, which worked brilliantly, and he actually altered a few songs using this with different whistling layered over and shit.

I'm seeing the National next saturday, which should be a good show.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #88 on: 12 Jan 2008, 07:31 »

That would've been fantastic. Can't wait to see him next month.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #89 on: 12 Jan 2008, 09:20 »

the top 10 favorite scenes from the mask.

What were they?
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #90 on: 12 Jan 2008, 12:12 »

I haven't been to any lately, but I'm going to see Holy Fuck in Feb and Justice in March.  I'm also intrigued about a Stars of the Lid show in April, mainly because I'm not sure what they'll be like live.
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #91 on: 12 Jan 2008, 13:22 »

oh whoops saul williams turned out to be a combination poetry reading and question/answer session and not a gig proper

still absolutely great though. dude has a mind like a steel trap. dresses well, too.
Cool. He always has a nice collection of scarves.

I need input. Should I shell out money to go see the Liars next month?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #92 on: 12 Jan 2008, 13:32 »

Two of the best shows I've seen, period, end of story, were two Legendary Pink Dots shows in the same venue two consecutive years, 97 and 98.  Both times I seriously thought the fucking spaceship was landing and we were all going to ascend to heaven.

Also, Acid Mothers Temple last year was epic.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #93 on: 12 Jan 2008, 13:37 »

Been a quiet month for gigs but I'm psyched about February: I bought a pair of Okkervil tickets for what I thought was 2nd May but I forgot American dates are ass-backwards; I'm actually seeing them 5th of Feb :-D 2 days after Die Krupps and Faderhead. Hell of a week that's gonna be.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #94 on: 12 Jan 2008, 14:41 »

I caught Isis supported by Jesu back in march or so. Jesu was earthshatteringly loud and deep, and Isis put on a show that was perfect both in terms of visuals and audio. It was a little venue, no lights or anything. I was standing about 3 feet from Justin Broadrick and Aaron Turner. It was really a great show. The crowd was largely tool fans, but it was a nice crowd overall.

I also saw the blood brothers at the same venue a week earlier. They were good, but not great, and the crowd was mostly scene kids.

My most recent show was Of Montreal over christmas break. They were really really fun. Fun light show, neat costumes, and there was this nice blend of glam and self-concious silliness in their stage manner.

Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #95 on: 12 Jan 2008, 21:31 »

Whee, this is a long list. 
I saw Clutch on new years, who played for about 1.5 - 1.75 hours, and got very drunk both during and even more so afterwards.  Their opening bands were... unspectacular.  One of the bands singers kinda sounded like Lemmy, if he was from the south?  I dunno, I went for Clutch, and was happy with the set. (although they didnt play "Drink to the Dead" which made me sad, but Neil did play a cowbell, which was awsome)  They played a good variety of songs, of course they played Electric Worry, but surprisingly didnt play Burning Beard.  I think the addition of a harmonica player and an organ player has only made the band sound even better, although it is still a bit odd to me to hear some of the older songs with added organ and harmonica bits, it does fit and blend well.

Last wednesday, I got to see Wu-Tang Clan, for the price of a single beer.  I wouldnt have gone otherwise, because while I enjoy the Wu, I wouldnt have enjoyed paying $50 odd bucks to see them, and only them (as their "opener" was just a DJ spinning rap singles), especially while broke.  However, they put on an amazing show playing for about an hour and fifteen, but the stand out performer had to be Method Man doing flying leaps into the crowd, a front flip into the crowd, and even standing on the audience for part of one song.  (My opinion is also helped by the fact that Method Man and a few others stayed on stage for a full 20-30 minutes after the set to sign peoples stuff and him throwing Ravens gear (two different hats and a Ray Lewis jersey) into the crowd.  Also, I didnt realize how BIG method man is until I was standing next to him when I was moving gear.

In the past few months, bands I have seen that impressed me:
Amon Amarth put on an amazing offdate (non headlining) show here in baltimore, which they were amazing.  Their show in Philly was quite nice as well.

Lamb of God has always impressed, seeing them once in baltimore, once in Pittsburgh (Ozzfest) and once in Reading, PA (with Killswitch Engage, Devildriver and Soilwork supporting, all of whom did well, but the pits were terrible, stupid PA)

Behemoths headlining show was absolutely amazing, after some sound issues when they were here with LoG, their show was just amazing.  And having Gojira to support, well, that just makes the show even better (and Gojira's tour manager was incredibly nice)

3inches of Blood, the multitude of times that I have seen them in the past six months (with LoG, Ozzfest, GWAR, etc) have never failed to impress, they are very good showman, and also a bunch of nice canadians.

GWAR, on the Viva La Bam tour with Cradle was rather bleh, mainly because of issues I probably shouldnt get in to, but the short version is that they werent able to do their full show (and even without their full show, god damn they have a lot of gear to load up, more than CoF and CKY combined)  they made up for it with an excellent "home" show at the 9:30 club in DC.

An Ozzfest stand out:  Cthonic, a taiwanese (sp?) black metal group, was incredible, flawless execution on stage, I had never heard of them, and didnt expect to be impressed as much as I was.
Also, Ozzy seriously needs to just retire and give Ozzfest to Black Label Society.  His voice was terrible for the first half of the show, and even after he had warmed up, it still wasnt what I had seen in years past.

I unfortunantly missed seeing Arch Enemy and Aesop Rock (seperate dates of course)

Shows I am currently looking forward to:
Black Dahlia Murder plays this thursday, woo!
Exodus plays northern VA next month.
In march I go broke from seeing Soilwork, Today is the Day, and Devildriver all in less than 10 days.
In april I go extra broke from seeing Nile, Ministry and Paganfest (featuring TYR)
Then at the end of may is Maryland Death Fest, which should be good.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

Landstander

« Reply #96 on: 13 Jan 2008, 00:39 »

Unfortunately for me, I really haven't been to that many shows. It just seems like anytime a band I'm interested in seeing comes around, I've got something else going on, no way to get there, etc. Anyway, shows I've been to and some brief thoughts, in chronological order.

Sonic Youth with Wooden Wand: I sure picked a good one for my first real live music experience. I found Wooden Wand a bit underwhelming, but I could have imagined really liking them under different circumstances. I keep meaning to give them a listen, but I always forget. Anyway, Sonic Youth was...well, Sonic Youth. Loud and awesome. They played mostly stuff from "Rather Ripped," but mixed in some older stuff as well. I was hoping they'd play Teenage Riot, but no such luck. Still, fantastic show and the best I've been to.

Thursday with Fear Before the March of Flames, Murder by Death: This one was ill-advised. Really liked Murder by Death, sort of enjoyed a couple songs by Thursday, had never heard Fear Before the March of Flames. If only it could have stayed that way. I thought they were awful and the singer looked and acted like a douche. Murder by Death played a decent set, so I felt like I got my money's worth. Overall, would've been pretty forgettable if some strange dance moves by the singer for FBtMoF hadn't become sort of running joke between my friends and I.

The Decemberists with My Brightest Diamond: Great show. Drove about 3 hours to get to this one with a couple friends. I didn't care for My Brightest Diamond all that much, but all my friends seemed to love them. Different strokes, I guess. Anyway, The Decemberists put on an awesome show, with the drummer and guitarist coming down into the audience to do a reenactment of the Battle of Gettysburg, narrated by Colin Meloy. "The Tain" as an encore=amazing. On the way home, my friend's car got keyed in a restaurant parking lot. Awesome.

Mono with The Drift, World End's Girlfriend: Phew. Wow. Saw this one in a fairly small college lecture hall, which was the perfect venue. I was really impressed with The Drift, who played sort of jazzy post-rock. World's End Girlfriend was even more impressive. You wouldn't believe the sounds this guy makes, and it's even better when you're almost close enough to touch him. I can't even really comment on Mono all that much. I got too lost in them to even remember a lot about it. Amazing. If you ever get the opportunity to see them, jump on it.

The Mountain Goats with Bowerbirds: Another great one, The Mountain Goats being one of my favorites. I'd never heard Bowerbirds before and I absolutely loved them. I'm thinking "Hymns for a Dark Horse" is going to make my top 20, which I'm still putting together. Mountain Goats were even better. Played a smattering of things from "Get Lonely," "The Sunset Tree," and some older stuff. Did a cover of "The Sign" by Ace of Base as an encore and stared directly at me for about a minute. If I were gay, I'd have been incredibly aroused.

And finally, Bob Dylan with Elvis Costello, Amos Lee: I can't really comment on Amos Lee, since I arrived a little late just as he was finishing up. Really, I don't think Elvis Costello and Dylan need much commentary. Elvis played a couple songs from "My Aim Is True" and a smattering of others. Bob Dylan was Bob Dylan. Obviously he can't do things exactly as he used to, but he's adapted excellently. Played an interesting version of "Ballad of a Thin Man" and what basically amounted to Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower," which was a little disappointing. I don't care what anyone else says, I still think Dylan's original is superior. It was obviously in a big arena, so you had a lot of jackasses talking and the sound quality could have been better, but still a possibly once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so no complaints.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #97 on: 13 Jan 2008, 02:48 »

Wow, there's some nice show going experiences. I saw Dylan and loved it. But i'm a total fanboy with Dylan. I'm seeing Sonic Youth play Daydream Nation in a few weeks and am totally pumped.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #98 on: 13 Jan 2008, 03:23 »

Sonic Youth was the first band I saw live (Liars supporting too, sweet gig). They are awesome.

littlelove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #99 on: 13 Jan 2008, 13:15 »

first band I saw live was apparently the backstreet boys.. but I don't remember it, so moving on.

umm best concert I have been to would have to be warped tour '06. Less than jake was there. I like them. so was joan jet and the black hearts, nofx, billy talent (terrible live), alexisonfire, the fully down and a bunh bunch more. I had the best time and the sound was really good for an outdoor show.

best show ever ever ever would have to be alexisonfire when I saw them 5 years ago at a country bar.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up