THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newsarama Is Bad at Reporting  (Read 4883 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Newsarama Is Bad at Reporting
« on: 12 Nov 2007, 15:32 »

OR The Thread Formerly Known as Jon's Comic Distribution Wet Dream Incarnate

Newsarama Link

So, here's the gyst: Marvel Comics, the folks who give us the X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and the like, are doing on Online archive. Essentially, for $10 a month (US), or $60 annually, users will have unlimited access to an online only (I.E., you cannot download to your hard drive) archive of about 2500 comics with an additional twenty to be released every week.

It will, at least initially and by my understanding, be entirely a backlog. Current issues will still be hitting store shelves only, (Presumably to not utterly destroy the overall market) while titles ranging from relatively recent (Such as Young Avengers) to classics will be available on this archive.

Thoughts? Opinions? Kudos? Complaints?

I'd rather not sway peoples' opinions until after some people have had time to formulate their own, so I'll save my remarks until after a couple responses. I do have a strong opinion in one direction on this.

Edited to fix the link.

Edit Again: Newsarama has removed the story citing "wild inaccuracies." It's like my parents bought me a puppy for Christmas and then shot it just to see the look on my face.

Now, this is the Official: Newsarama users suck and would bitch about comic companies giving free blow jobs with every comic bought because, y'know, she wasn't a red head or something. Serioulsy, just read some of the responses these people have. Greey, self serving, whiny little pansies. Seriously, though. This story's dead, feel free to delete it when you get around to it, mods.

Edit again: Story's back up and it's even better than before. I'm leaving the prior edits up for the fascinating story that was my evening of triumph and tragedy.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2007, 20:30 by 0bsessions »
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
Re: Newsarama Is Bad at Reporting
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2007, 06:00 »

I think that would be totally awesome. I don't have the money to go out and -buy- all of these comics, but if I could read them for free, online?? Flippin' sweet!!
Comics should be more readily available to the poor who can't pay $4 for 26 pages of fancy color illustrations. I wish I had lived in the days when comics were a quarter or less and every sentance ended in an exclaimation point...those were the days.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2007, 08:35 »

it does seem kind of cool, though I wonder which comics they will choose to update it with

personally, I would love to read through Deadpool's series, sans Cable

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2007, 09:55 »

I'd like to read through the X-Men series of old, Avengers, Fantastic Four, etc. The old "Team" comics. I would be extremely excited if they put X-Treme X-Men on there. I have been trying to find those comics forever (espcially volume 1 or issues 1-6), but they went out of print apparently and are obscenely expensive on the net. Gah.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:49 »

I'd rather find a library. I just went to OSU last week and they have a huge collection of comic books, and if you want to read some, they will let you. You basically make an appt. and go there and read and then give them back. I don't want to pay money to read them and not be able to download them. It's a cool idea, but it'd be better if it were free or if you could download them.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2007, 12:18 »

I just tried it out via the free ample and I must say I like it. The "smart panel" feature is quite handy (It carries multiple points to the page and by simply hitting the right arrow key, moves forward from panel to panel) and the overall design and interface is rather simple and user friendly. The resolution could be better, but I think it's worth the five bucks a month, easily.
JON MADE ME GAY

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2007, 20:37 »

well damn, upon closer inspection they took what they had already been doing and now charge money for it

I had already signed up for free to read their free digital comics, which they updated fairly regularly, but now that seems to be replaced by this.

oh yeah, and this thread is better.  stop wasting time in this one
« Last Edit: 15 Nov 2007, 09:14 by Blue Kitty »

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2007, 06:44 »

Better? Not only is it the exact same information, but it was a full like day and a half to two days late! I call bullshit on you, good sir!
JON MADE ME GAY
Pages: [1]   Go Up