THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ozmusicmonth  (Read 7598 times)

anditsdiscontents

• Emoticontraindication
  • my SimCity's bigger than your SimCity
    • last.fm
ozmusicmonth
« on: 13 Nov 2007, 07:29 »

So the national alt-pop youth broadcaster in Australia (Triple J) declares each November "Oz Music Month".
In honour of this slightly weird 'cultural cringe', which as an Aussie indie kid I unfortunately share to an embarassing degree (as well as to prove we have a nice healthy scene, kinda), here are some good things from Australia that I don't think enough people on here have talked about:

Bluejuice - Vitriol
I could try to explain, but just watch this clip. Bluejuice are undiluted party-band hilarity. This clip manages to deliver a big fuck you to both religion and the Polyphonic Spree, whilst taking over Pitt Street Mall, pretty much the biggest pedestrian shopping hub in Sydney's CBD.
(Lead singer Jake Stone is sometimes the bartender at the live music hub the Hopetoun in Surry Hills, Sydney kids).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldBhDmvWFXE

Gotye - Heart's A Mess
I'm too lazy to check if anyone else has declared their love for this song, but seriously, watch this clip late at night with the lights off. It is the most lovely thing ever. Kooky, crooned, perfect pop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_CM5-gel6o

Urthboy - We Get Around
Sunny, bouncy hip-hop from Sydney. Australian hip-hop is always divisive, but if you believe that hip-hop can travel (and you damn well should), check this boy and his crew in The Herd out. This video has my uni campus in one bit. Yay!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqKDFHAyIMU

The Drones - Jezebel
Furious, apocalyptic punk/garage/bluesy mess. I once saw the Drones described as "The Birthday Party kicking the shit out of Neil Young in Hendrix's garage". This is not entirely inaccurate. Jezebel is possibly the best song yet written about the War On Terror or what Samuel Huntingdon calls the clash of civilisations, ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUnQ3F2Rwq4
You could also check out Sharkfin Blues, which is just as good.

Snowman - Smoke and Mirrors
Similarly threatening stuff from Western Australia, only with stunning falsetto. Live, this song sounds like the end of the world. Snowman have remained curiously undiscovered outside of WA, so get on the bandwagon, dammit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q1lXDAnQxI

Muscles - Ice Cream
Muscles is like a big, over-sincere puppy, and you're either gonna think he's cute and awesome, or he's going to shit you to tears. I'll never admit it to my more hipster-snob friends, but I'm of the former camp, at least with regards to the song Ice Cream. The small town boy making squelchy laptop jams rejects inner-city paranoia in favour of ice cream and dancing! Woo! From my Melbourne experience, I'm willing to lay money on the idea that he's talking about Trampoline ice cream on Swanston St mall.
http://www.myspace.com/musclesmusic
Wow, he got a review in Pitchfork: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/record_review/46461-guns-babes-lemonade

Then there's artists which I've heard people round here talk about or who are well known anyway - Architecture In Helsinki, My Disco, etc.

So, uh, comments? Add your own fave Australian tracks that people need to know about?
(Also, I hereby forbid Silverchair, Wolfmother and Jet from this thread)
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 07:57 by anditsdiscontents »
Hey, it looks like I am irrevocably damned, I should probably get some dancing in.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
Re: ozmusicmonth
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2007, 08:31 »

I will be seeing The Drones this Thursday when they open for Band of Horses, which seems like a slightly odd combination, but I will save judgement until then.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2007, 15:01 »

Man, where's the Midnight Juggernaut's mention? There the best Australian band going around at the moment in my opinion.

John Curtin

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2007, 16:19 »

Speaking of Gotye, he (Wally de Backer) also happens to be the drummer/singer in The Basics.  They are essentially a very good live band doing that 60s retro rock thing all the "kids" are "into" these "days".  Nice two- and three-part harmonies abound and they wear matching grey suits.  Triple J doesn't like them ("We've never tried to like a band more!" says Richard Kingsmill).  I think this is something in their favour.

Anyway, highlights include "Just Hold On" and "Rattle My Chain".
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 16:22 by John Curtin »

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2007, 16:37 »

The Avalanches, who probably everyone already knows about, but who haven't released a record for six years, and I keep going in the hopes that if people say their name out loud enough times, it'll summon them into a studio somewhere and they'll be forced to record something.

Also, Pivot should be listened to by anyone who's into Boards of Canada but want something a bit more aggressive.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2007, 17:19 »

Technically, the Avalanches don't actually record anything.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2007, 17:42 »

AC/DC, despite what some people may say. Powderfinger and the Go-Betweens are also good popular groups from the Outback. Also, has anyone heard of Radio Birdman? They're a really neat punk group from Austraila that not too many people know about, at least that I know of anyway.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

Phaedra

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2007, 18:19 »

Technically, the Avalanches don't actually record anything.

True, that.* I couldn't think of a more appropriate term; 'put something on tape', 'make some new files on their computers'?

*Technically, they did record some of their own bass and keyboard for the later tracks on Since I Left You.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2007, 18:22 »

Powderfinger and the Go-Betweens are also good popular groups from the Outback.

You mean Brisbane?!

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2007, 18:30 »

AC/DC, despite what some people may say.

What are people saying? AC/DC are brilliant.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2007, 18:34 »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2007, 20:03 »

I don't know how popular they are in Australia, but they aren't even close to breaking in America.

Little Birdy

Think extremely catchy and sometimes melancholy indie pop with a sexy, sultry female vocalist.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2007, 20:16 »

I'm finding it real hard to get into alot of Australian music at the moment. I don't know why and i feel kinda bad or just plain unpatriotic about.
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with those annoying little school children who keep trying to sing about ping-pong.

anditsdiscontents

• Emoticontraindication
    • last.fm
« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2007, 21:15 »

Man, where's the Midnight Juggernaut's mention? There the best Australian band going around at the moment in my opinion.

Guh. I saw them supporting Bloc Party and they were awful and completely uninteresting. Mind you last year i saw them whilst extremely drunk at USyd and they were ok... maybe venue size is an issue?
Hey, it looks like I am irrevocably damned, I should probably get some dancing in.

godinpants

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Jolly good show old bean.
    • Godinpants
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2007, 21:15 »

I don't know how popular they are in Australia, but they aren't even close to breaking in America.

Little Birdy

Think extremely catchy and sometimes melancholy indie pop with a sexy, sultry female vocalist.

Yess i love little birdy.

mmm other australians people should check out are.
Sarah Blasko.

Definately midnight juggernauts as suggested by Ishotdanieljohnston. I saw these guys live when they supported bloc party, pure awesome.

And Xavier Rudd, i can never recommend him to enough people.
Seriously, this guy gets up on stage with 3 didj's, guitars, wiessenborns, harmonica, stompbox, and other random bits of percussion and just goes off.

The Panics are pretty cool too.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2007, 21:27 »

Guh. I saw them supporting Bloc Party and they were awful and completely uninteresting. Mind you last year i saw them whilst extremely drunk at USyd and they were ok... maybe venue size is an issue?

Or drunkenness?

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2007, 02:05 »

Dan Kelly and the Alpha Males' Tabloid Blues has made me stop and go 'wow' on at least three separate occasions now. One of those is right now. That man can write a song.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

FireAarro

• Curry sauce
  • Cold Lemmin' With Flava
« Reply #17 on: 14 Nov 2007, 02:12 »

Hi, first post here.

I dig Muscles - I'm gonna see his underage show at the Corner Hotel on the 25th. Should be fun :D :mrgreen:

Some of my favourite Melbourne musicians:

Talkshow Boy
Catchy hyperactive electronic glitchpop. He releases all his music free for download. Woohoo! My favourite is "Watch As I Perform My Own Tracheotomy".
Download Album(s). FREE ZOMG!
Myspace

The Crayon Fields
Jangly 60s-influenced twee pop made by people who like reverb and vocal harmonies.
Myspace

Sly Hats
The solo venture of Geoff O'Connor from The Crayon Fields sees him incorporating more tropical percussion and sparser textures. Sly Hats and Muscles traded remixes once- Muscles set Geoff's "Vampire Sips" to house synths (the track's on Pitchfork) and Sly Hats adorned the aforementioned "Ice Cream" with tropical percussion and distant organ.
Myspace

Love of Diagrams
Post-punk angular riffs and driving melodies. Guitar and bass role switching.
Myspcae

Kes (or Kesband when the band's involved)
Quirky folk with elf-vocals. Sweet band as well. Not proggy, but just the slightest nod in that direction. Surprise recorders!
Listen to a track here.
Then check out their Myspace

And I suppose you all know Architecutre in Helsinki. Were they on a Marten shirt?
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2007, 02:14 by FireAarro »

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #18 on: 14 Nov 2007, 18:49 »

Alchemist, Angelspit, Hobb's Angel of Death, Deströyer 666, Blood Duster, Abyssic Hate.

Angelspit are probably my favourite Australian band, because I drew them fan-art and they sent me a free copy of their EP and some badges. Which is fucking nice behaviour.

Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats of Doom are NZ, aren't they? I honestly can't be bothered to check at this hour.

Also, Dead Can Dance, Birthday Party and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, though they are only partly Australian in various ways. They are better than all the other bands mentioned here though, including bands mentioned by me.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #19 on: 14 Nov 2007, 18:57 »

Shit, I totally forgot Nick Cave was from Austrailia. But yea, he really does destroy anyting else coming out of the country. Tender Prey has got to be one of the best albums of all time.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

anditsdiscontents

• Emoticontraindication
    • last.fm
« Reply #20 on: 14 Nov 2007, 19:00 »

Actually just the other day i bought myself a copy of inner city sound http://www.innercitysound.com.au/
Australian punk n post punk 1976 through the 80s.
Aus punk and post-punk is very under-acknowledged, i guess because we don't have magazines like Q and Mojo and whoever whose sole purpose is to, well, mythologise.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2007, 19:08 »

Really I would say the best Australian band is Dead Can Dance, although they don't really count. Lisa Gerrard is an aussie, Brendan Perry is Irish(?). They were formed in Melbourne, but they moved to London pretty sharpish, I'm almost certain without releasing anything. Gerrard was living in Australia during the bands final years as well.

Nick Cave is pretty good though. My favourite is Murder Ballads.

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #22 on: 14 Nov 2007, 19:22 »

I had no idea Angelspit were known outside of Australia and Germany- they must've gotten a fair bit more popular since the last time I saw them play! Also, I would've said Dead Can Dance, but didn't for reasons mentioned. They did the music for Baraka, too, if anyone hasn't heard of them but seen the film.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #23 on: 14 Nov 2007, 19:26 »

I've heard Dead Can Dance in movie trailers and on The West Wing.

Angelspit aren't known outside of Australia and Germany at all. It's basically just me.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #24 on: 14 Nov 2007, 19:30 »

Lisa Gerrard is working as a solo artist now.

The Panics are pretty cool too.

Do you know if their new album is any good? Their early stuff (E.P.s, first album) was great, but for their second album they seemed to decide to blandify their sound.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #25 on: 14 Nov 2007, 20:30 »

I've really liked what I've heard from it, though I've only heard about a song at a time and I'm not too familiar with their early stuff.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #26 on: 14 Nov 2007, 23:24 »

I've really liked what I've heard from it, though I've only heard about a song at a time and I'm not too familiar with their early stuff.

bells

« Reply #27 on: 21 Nov 2007, 16:34 »

The Avalanches, who probably everyone already knows about, but who haven't released a record for six years, and I keep going in the hopes that if people say their name out loud enough times, it'll summon them into a studio somewhere and they'll be forced to record something.

Also, Pivot should be listened to by anyone who's into Boards of Canada but want something a bit more aggressive.

the avalanches are (were?) awesome indeed, but the one with all the talent is married to sally seltmann (who is new buffalo) now and they're far too cool for most things that may have involved anything they enjoyed doing in the past. me? bitter? no!

the panics aren't really that good live, it must be said. on record they're great though.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #28 on: 21 Nov 2007, 18:15 »

the Paper Scissors are pretty cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up