THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love in the Time of Cholera....  (Read 2009 times)

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
Love in the Time of Cholera....
« on: 17 Nov 2007, 09:10 »

Well now that I'm sufficiently mad about Beowulf...the movies I guess I should vent my frustration about Love in the Time of Cholera...the movie. How could they try and convert this book, one of the most beautifully written I have ever had the pleasure to read, into a hollywood love story? The previews make it seem like a sappy, typical hollywood date film with just a tinge of art film thrown in to make it slightly less offensive. From the reviews I've read, I've heard it's shallow, unintelligent, lackluster, not very well acted, written with some skill at best, and a general distortion, but in the very negative sense, of the book. For example, one of the main characters, Dr. Juvenal Urbino, is apparently some smarmy, pompous idiot in the movie. He's anything but that in the book but his character was changed so drastically so that audiences would root for the other main character, Florentino Ariza, in his quest to win Urbino's wife. I'm not against converting books into film per se. I am against converting Garcia Marquez's books. The language, the magical realism, the seamless back and forth flow of time, none of this can truly be captured on film in a way even remotely comparable to the book and, as a result, no film translation would, in my opinion, do any of his books justice. I can point to this as a prime example. It's such a shame that hollywood seems to find in necessary to fuck up so many beautiful things. The only positive side of this movie that I can see is that more people will probably read the book (albeit an edition with the movie poster as its cover- I hate those fucking copies) and thus experience it the way it was meant to be experienced: in print.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Will

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Creeeeeeeepy bear HEARTS YOU!!!
    • William James (author page)
Re: Love in the Time of Cholera....
« Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2007, 10:55 »

I didn't even realize this book was going to be made into a movie. However, I do think this post has made me decide to finally get around to picking up a copy of this book. I should probably read it, so I can say I was 'in before the movie crowd.'
Quote from: JohhnyC
In grade six one of my classmates during sex ed asked if the penis could be broken. The teacher's response was "Not in the same way you'd break a bone. I still wouldn't take a hammer to it or anything."

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2007, 04:07 »

Thats the first I've heard about this and it's really quite depressing. I've only read One Hundred Years of Solitude which I loved and am looking forward to Love in the time of...

Can we turn this into a thread about magic realism? Cause i think it's a really underrated genre and would like too know what people thought of it... recconmendations and discussion anyone?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2007, 06:53 »

[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: [1]   Go Up