THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire?  (Read 9104 times)

kivenkantaja

A Song of Ice and Fire?
« on: 20 Nov 2007, 00:42 »

By George R.R. Martin

I just started reading this series.

My ex-girlfriend lent me the first book, and I lent her my stargate sg-1 series 2 set.... we broke up, she still has stargate, I still have the book.... <.< >.>

Anyways, I thought it was very excellent, and very well written.

Characters are very well developed, and feasible plot-twists abound.

I'm about 2/3rds done a Clash of Kings.

I'd say Daenerys, despite having a fairly minor role in the books, so far.  not many chapters are devoted to her.  She's my fav because she's very strong, despite being extremely young.  Having gone through very difficult times, yet over coming them even stronger, and having learned something profound.

Arya is also a favorite, for a similar reason.

Yeah..... thoughts?  anybody read these books>

Postino

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2007, 03:09 »

Tyrion and Jon Snow are my favorites.

Mazlow01

• Plantmonster
  • Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed
    • myspace page
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2007, 12:15 »

Love these books. Jaime has become a fav. He started out horrible but he goes through some stuff and really changes. I also like Arya and Jon plus Sansa is starting to come into her own...The books just keep getting better.

Glad Marten has some balls. But he doesn't need to use them to teabag rabid animals for not thinking straight. Animal control is much easier.

kivenkantaja

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2007, 12:18 »

Love these books. Jaime has become a fav. He started out horrible but he goes through some stuff and really changes. I also like Arya and Jon plus Sansa is starting to come into her own...The books just keep getting better.

I agree, every page is better than the last.

Tyrion is cool, to agree with Postino.  He's sly, but always has the greater good looked after.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2007, 12:32 »

I love how Martin twists around every character eventually so that you learn the good and bad about everyone. Tyrion is by far my favorite character, but he's hardly a saint. I also like Jaime a lot more now, always like Jon Snow, and I'm getting very confused with Arya's storyline, and really just wish that she and Sansa could catch a fucking break every now and then. Seriously, their situations just refuse to improve.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

kivenkantaja

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2007, 20:30 »

I love how Martin twists around every character eventually so that you learn the good and bad about everyone. Tyrion is by far my favorite character, but he's hardly a saint. I also like Jaime a lot more now, always like Jon Snow, and I'm getting very confused with Arya's storyline, and really just wish that she and Sansa could catch a fucking break every now and then. Seriously, their situations just refuse to improve.

Martin probably has a future planned for them.  But yeah, every chapter devoted to them is just shitty.  Though Arya went from bad to worse to worse to worse to somewhat better.  She might get Needle back and slay some shit some day.

I think the character I hated the most was Dany's brother.. whatever his name was.  he was a total douchebag.  For the most part every character has their moments.. though I don't really like Stannis.  I don't think I've seen a chapter dedicated to Cersei yet... she seems like she would be interesting to know what the hell is going on inside her head.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2007, 20:33 »

Not to spoil anything, but Martin gets to Cersei. Trust me.

I don't like Stannis either, for a righteous guy who follows the law, he really is a bit of a turd.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2007, 21:19 »

There's a thread somewhere on this forum about HBO opting for a series of book 1. I'm too lazy to search for it now.

I like the series a lot, although I wish GRRM would write faster. Since Jordan died, leaving the series unfinished, I suppose this series is going to fill the void for me.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2007, 21:40 »

Yeah there is, but since this is about the book series itself and not the HBO adaptation I suppose it counts.

Ever since Robert Jordan died I found myself feeling masochistic and wondering what it would take to get a movie project of the Wheel of Time going. I can't help it, I liked how Lord of the Rings worked out, and meh.

kivenkantaja

« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2007, 22:20 »

A WoT movie would indeed kickass, but I hear Sam Raimi is looking at doing a Sword of Truth series.

Which would totally kick allll ass.  SoT is def. my fav fantasy.  I mean, hell, I got the Sword tattooed on me.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2007, 22:39 »

that gives me something to do with my 9 week holiday.

Lalaladida

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2007, 02:33 »

Arya and Jon Snow are my favourites. And I rather like the Reeds for some reason.

kivenkantaja

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2007, 21:55 »

that gives me something to do with my 9 week holiday.

lucky you.  I never get holidays.  OK.. I do, but they're busy holidays.

I really want to just take a holiday where I sit around and do nothing.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2007, 15:30 »

The joys of private high schools, long summer holidays.

kivenkantaja

« Reply #14 on: 25 Nov 2007, 20:19 »

The joys of private high schools, long summer holidays.

Damn you!  I hate working.

Ah well, I start school in about a month where I get 2 consecutive weeks off in every 3 months.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #15 on: 07 Dec 2007, 16:44 »

This is going to be a HBO series.  1 Season = 1 Book. 

This is my favorite fantasy series, period.  I'm a bit mad by a certain person's death, though.

He/she was my favorite character for a long while.

*********************SPOILER **************************

I have a theory about the entire series.
  Jon Snow is a bastard, yes . . .
  In my opinion, he is the son of Ned's sister and Rhegar Targaryen, which makes him the rightful King.  The reason she made him swear on his death bed (probably her child birth) was to keep the child a secret, or it would be killed by the King -- so Ned claimed him as his own.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2007, 16:50 by DavidGrohl »

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #16 on: 07 Dec 2007, 18:43 »

^ Dude everyone has figured that out already.

That's why he's going to die within the next two books and never claim his throne.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #17 on: 08 Dec 2007, 06:57 »

I like the Song of Ice and Fire. It's really only second to the Corwin arc of the Chronicles of Amber in my heart right now.  As far as the WoT goes, I'm glad I quit reading it at book 8. That's pretty invested, but keeping all the manipulative female channelers sorted out was wearing thin on me and I think reading three more books only to have Jordan die would have driven me off the deep end. I may go through and reread the series (I haven't read any of the first 5 books since like, 1994) once it's officially wrapped up, but I honestly find the prospect fairly daunting at this point. I thought the Sword of Truth was harmless, goofy fun for two books and then Goodkind started hittin' the crazy pretty hard and lost me.
« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2007, 21:23 by Whipstitch »
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:16 »

That's why he's going to die within the next two books and never claim his throne.

No no . . that's why it's called the Song of Ice and Fire.  Daenarys is the Fire, Jon is the Ice!  Jon can't die, nor can Daenarys. 

Cortillian

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:22 »

I have the first book of the George R.R. Martin series but ive been distracted by other books, so ive yet tp get beyond a certain point, but of the little ive looked over it looked easy to delve into

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #20 on: 10 Dec 2007, 21:34 »

Yeah, it is easy to delve into, which is kind of a nice change of pace from authors that perhaps get a li'l too caught up in the history of their li'l fantasy lands. There's a lot going on, but Martin never pulls a Silmarillion and makes the characters secondary to the world they inhabit. It's not perfect, and there's some sideplots and silly sex scenes I could do without, but overall, I like the way it splits the difference between epic and low fantasy.

Mazlow01

• Plantmonster
  • Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed
    • myspace page
« Reply #21 on: 11 Dec 2007, 10:25 »

No no . . that's why it's called the Song of Ice and Fire.  Daenarys is the Fire, Jon is the Ice!  Jon can't die, nor can Daenarys. 

I actually think Lyanna Stark is the Ice and Rhaegar Targaryen is the Fire. Everything that happened was due to their affair. It also aludes to the invasion of the Others and Daenyrs Dragons fighting them. Ice vs Fire. I think that winning that war will give Daenarys the Kingdom. Stannis has the right idea...save the kingdom to win the kingdom but is the wrong guy for the job. Jon will leave the post of watch commander to marry Daenarys AFTER the others are destroyed. There will no longer be a need for the watch after that. 

I also think that the three heads of the dragons will be Daenarys(duh), Jon(he is half dragon), and Tyroin. Thats right the drawf will join Daenarys in the next book become her Hand and the dragons will love him. I love that little dude.

Glad Marten has some balls. But he doesn't need to use them to teabag rabid animals for not thinking straight. Animal control is much easier.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #22 on: 11 Dec 2007, 15:26 »

Jon can't die, nor can Daenarys. 

Have you been reading the same series as me?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #23 on: 11 Dec 2007, 20:37 »

George RR Martin will probably sink an entire continent now just because you said that!

Zack Wild was right; David Grohl really does ruin everything.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #24 on: 12 Dec 2007, 15:42 »

SPOILERS HERE TOO::

Seriously, George R R martin loves his little killing sprees of major characters, and its pissed me off and literally made me leave off reading the book for weeks at a time because I was so mad. Like when Robb and Catelyn died? Yeah, of course, technically she's back, but its not really her anymore in my opinion. He's also really starting to wear me thin on the subplots too, and I really wish he would give Arya and Sansa a break, have I mentioned that?

Yeah, I really don't think Martin will touch Jon's character or bring him to harm in any way. I mean, he's really the first character outlined and I have a feeling the series will end with him as well. Also Tyrion ftw.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #25 on: 12 Dec 2007, 20:58 »

I love these books.  Probably my favourite Sci-Fantasy series.  I read the Wheel of Time for a bit and found it good, but then after about book 5 things started getting long-winded.  The battle at Dumai's Wells is probably the high-point for me, and everything after that has kind of been a downward slide with some bright points along the way.  In comparison Ice & Fire has been consistently good and has never failed to impress me with its dark underpinnings and unflinching attitude toward main characters.

I am pretty sure that I need to go back and re-read all of these once the next book in the series comes out.  So much stuff happens and my memory is awful.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ
« Reply #26 on: 13 Dec 2007, 11:39 »

Sometimes I get the feeling that I'm just liking the characters more because there are so few of them left and I have to like somebody in a book.
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

FUBAR

« Reply #27 on: 01 Jan 2008, 19:32 »

i'm looking forward to undead catelyn stark
Pages: [1]   Go Up