THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Project: Cloverfield  (Read 54219 times)

MrElectricOcean

Re: Project: Cloverfield
« Reply #100 on: 18 Jan 2008, 23:35 »

I went to a midnight show and was absolutely blown away by this movie and cannot wait to see it a second time. I expected an intense, stylistic, and original monster movie with essentially little to no explanation (c'mon, Abrams producing? no one should expect any less) and that is exactly what i got, plus you get some great money shots of the monster without going overboard. The ending was great and the tie in with the characters sub plot i thought worked perfectly.

Spinless

« Reply #101 on: 19 Jan 2008, 00:16 »

Thing is, all of the things that suck about Lost come from the story, the characters and the need to drag out a non-existant plot out over several seasons. I imagine that if Cloverfield sucks, it's for very different reasons.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #102 on: 19 Jan 2008, 18:35 »

I don't know how to feel about Cloverfield right now. I liked it, but I'm not sure how much I liked it. To be completely honest though, it was definitely worth my money, as it must have been one of the most entertaining movies I have seen in a while. Entertainment value is different from excellence in moviemaking value though, and I'm not sure yet how well this stands as a movie. The thing about it that made it worthwhile for me was the way it was filmed, surprisingly. This may not be anything new, but it works so well with for the basic premise that I cannot imagine it being done any way else cinematography-wise and getting as excellent an experience as I had. The movie gets another plus for no explanation, because a mystery like this solved wouldn't be as fun. WE DON'T NEED TO KNOW EVERYTHING GUYS, SPECULATION MAKES THINGS AWESOME.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #103 on: 19 Jan 2008, 19:43 »

Once again the company that owns my local theaters is being cheap. This is from their website:

“Our negotiations with this film distributor have again reached an impasse. Marcus Theatres did not show Sweeney Todd on its first run availability date because acceptable terms could not be negotiated and now we will not be exhibiting Cloverfield at any of our locations for similar reasons,” said Bruce J. Olson, president of Marcus Theatres®.  “Our ongoing negotiations have not resulted in film terms that are acceptable to Marcus Theatres and this film studio. Unfortunately, Cloverfield will not be exhibited on the date of its first run availability at our theatres.”

I hate them all.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #104 on: 19 Jan 2008, 20:23 »

I don't know how to feel about Cloverfield right now. I liked it, but I'm not sure how much I liked it. To be completely honest though, it was definitely worth my money, as it must have been one of the most entertaining movies I have seen in a while. Entertainment value is different from excellence in moviemaking value though, and I'm not sure yet how well this stands as a movie.

I find that it is getting harder and harder to actually find good movies, as in the "excellent moviemaking" idea of good. Most of what I see is really entertaining and I generally have a lot of fun when I go to the cinema but actual good pieces of filmmaking are few and far between. I'm looking forward to seeing Cloverfield but I'm not expecting it to be cinematic mastery, simply a good film.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #105 on: 19 Jan 2008, 20:28 »

I didn't see it tonight, but that's my general feeling about it, too.  We figured 10$ for a 73 minute movie is a bit much, though.  Probably seeing a matinee of it some other time.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #106 on: 20 Jan 2008, 09:34 »

I am glad I read the past few pages to realize that I don't want to see this movie. It looks like it's Godzilla from the sea with louses and erratic camera movement and you also don't get the whole story, it seems.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #107 on: 20 Jan 2008, 12:51 »

Yeah, but people die! And buildings fall down! What are you waiting for?
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

MusicScribbles

« Reply #108 on: 20 Jan 2008, 13:30 »

Do not forget explosions, because there are explosions.
Also Coney Island.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #109 on: 20 Jan 2008, 14:27 »

(I hadn't originally wanted to see it, but I just don't want to see it in a theater. Maybe when it comes out on DVD, I'll rent it. Maybe.)
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #110 on: 20 Jan 2008, 19:54 »

Okay, guys. Here's the thing I think most people are missing that no one who has actually seen the movie has seemed to point out:

This isn't a monster movie. It's a movie about a group of five friends that just happens to have a monster in it. It doesn't tell the backstory of the monster, the history of the monters, what the monster is or any of that (though if you followed the viral marketing you can pretty much put it together), because it's NOT NECESSARY TO THE MOVIE. The movie isn't about the monster, which is why we don't learn that much about it. What we DO learn about is the people in the movie, their story, and - in that vein, the movie is told and ends perfectly.

Yes, there is a lot of action, a lot of monster-destroying-stuff action, people blowing up, some HOLYSHITRIGHATMYFACE moments, etc. But the reason we are left with questions about the monster is NOT the same reason as why Lost always leaves people with questions (For the record I HATE Lost with a passion), it's because it's not necessary to the true story.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

donovangelonardo

« Reply #111 on: 20 Jan 2008, 22:42 »

what he said.  only I want to add that it's character driven rather than ridiculous and absurd plot driven like your typical godzilla movie.  This is more horror than sci-fi, there's no white lab coat guys.  Also, once the shit goes down, it just doesn't stop, so you get your money's worth from the 80 minutes.  I HIGHLY encourage you to see this in a theater, I don't know if it'll be as gripping on DVD

MusicScribbles

« Reply #112 on: 20 Jan 2008, 22:54 »

I have to agree with this being something to see on a screen in theaters. This really gives you breathtaking looks at the visuals, which are quite beautiful to look at.

SPOILERZ

I loved the shot where they were crossing back over to the other building after rescuing Rob's girlfriend and Hut looks to the left with the camera to see the monster basically charging straight in their direction.

END SPOILERZ

The way this movie is shot makes it like going on one of those movie rides at Disney world, whether your seat squirts you or the entire theater starts moving, this could almost mentally emulate these, and without the big screen, the almost pitch dark theater, and the completely booming sounds, you can get quite gripped to where you might be sitting.
I think I have pinpointed what I liked about this film. It was immersive as hell.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #113 on: 20 Jan 2008, 23:06 »

Oh dude like those 3D ride things with all the effects and stuff? When I went (when I was like 7) I saw the Muppets one and the Honey We Shrunk the Audience. I remember trying to catch one of the little puffs of air that blew from underneath the seat to emulate thousands of mice. Now I have to see this movie(having not read the thread because I'm sure there are a bunch of monster movie killjoys) since it has been linked to my childhood.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Hunter

« Reply #114 on: 21 Jan 2008, 02:37 »

HUGE SPOILER

MONSTER PIC

I can't really remember how big this thing is in relation to the statue of liberty. If it took off the head, it would have to be  pretty big but I don't think it was that large. 

maybe i should see it again?
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

doki

« Reply #115 on: 21 Jan 2008, 03:19 »

yeah, the greatest thing about this movie for me was the new star trek teaser

no, seriously? it was a very good idea executed wonderfully.  I liked the characters, the camera was handled well enough that i didnt get too carsick, all in all not bad

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #116 on: 21 Jan 2008, 13:51 »

I heard that the monster SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER
was a moldy vagina with teeth
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #117 on: 21 Jan 2008, 15:01 »

God bless those brave people.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

ravenjade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #118 on: 23 Jan 2008, 17:23 »

This was a really, really good movie, and unless you have a big TV and a good sound system you probably won't feel as involved as when it's in the theatre.

hawkedup

« Reply #119 on: 25 Jan 2008, 13:52 »

*SPOILERS*

I only skimmed the thread, but this is pretty much directed at people I've talked to who didn't like the movie. I'm pretty sure this movie wasn't about the origins of the monster or even the monster itself. I mean really, who cares where the monster came from? Who cares what happened to it? There was ship of radioactive material that leaked into the ocean or there was some government testing fuckup. [Insert any other disaster movie cliche of your choice.] What happened after? The monster decided that he needed to ride his rocket ship back to his home planet. Or, more than likely, the nuclear explosion killed the thing. Again, not what the movie was about. It wasn't like Lost in that they hinted or spent any time whatsoever trying to find out why the monster was there or where it came from and then delivered no (or stupid) answers. Only the viewers wondered that because they are used to being spoon fed explinations. The movie was about how this small group of people handled the situation, and that's it. You know, a movie about characters in a situation and not the situation itself. Also, the ending was perfect. I wish more movies ended like that.

Thank you for your time. :)

ohsweetjesusno

« Reply #120 on: 25 Jan 2008, 18:40 »

But I didn't really empathize with the characters, and in the end, it felt rushed. Omg Hudd just got munched by the monster! Omg the bridge just got bombed! Wtf!? Maybe that was the point...  :?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #121 on: 25 Jan 2008, 21:59 »

This movie was pretty much amazing.(of course, I went into expecting nothing great, because everyone has been telling me how terrible it is)

Basically, it's not a monster movie! People keep bitching that they didn't show the monster enough. They didn't need to.  The monster was a plot device. Not the whole plot.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #122 on: 26 Jan 2008, 04:35 »

I refuse to watch this movie because using a giant lizard as an allegory for being at ground-zero on 9/11 is one of the few things I would genuinely attach the word "pretentious" to.

Seriously, guys.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #123 on: 27 Jan 2008, 01:45 »

Man. I feel the same way about Cloverfield as I did about Children of Men.

The sudden infertility of the human race is not the plot. It's the context. The plot is a man trying to save a woman. The plot is trying to make sure the future of the human race has a chance.

The monster is not the plot. The monster is the context. The plot is a group of friends trying to survive. The plot is a man trying to get to the love of his life amidst the destruction of New York.

It's like people who are HURR HURR HURR I know how Titanic ends! The ship sinks! DOOPY DOOOOOO! The fucking ship is not the plot.

Needless to say, I loved it. I loved it so much. I went in with high expectations and it met them on every level. It was completely immersive, tense as hell, and ridiculously well made. I can't begin to imagine how they managed that CGI with the shakiest camera in the history of cinema, but it was amazing. I don't want a sequel. I don't want any more. It was perfect.

Idle notes:

The name of the cameraman was truly inspired.

The brief flash of the Dharma logo at the beginning of the movie made me happy.

The dialogue was fantastic, especially the unexpectedly funny moments. Great Drew Goddard writing, funny without being obvious about it. ("What's that?" "A terrible thing." "What the hell was that?" "Another, different thing. Uh. Also terrible.")
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

KvP

• COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #124 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:35 »

Hmm, so it's like Titanic, then?

I'll pass.
I review, sometimes.
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #125 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:52 »

...actually, yeah.

It is kinda like Titanic, when you think about it.

Weird.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #126 on: 27 Jan 2008, 11:58 »

Good post.

I agree completely.

A sequel would be silly, and unnecessary. It'd be the same exact movie, only with different characters. It'd be pointless. Even a movie explaining the attack, and what happened afterward would be kinda pointless. It would take the fun away from the original.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

ohsweetjesusno

« Reply #127 on: 27 Jan 2008, 13:18 »

It'd be cool to have some illuminating documentaries and the like on the DVD though. < <

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #128 on: 27 Jan 2008, 22:09 »

I guess it would be nice to be told why the monster attacked and what eventually happened with it but, I mean...I can't really seem to care.

The movie, for me, was about the breathtaking moments of destruction against the heartbreaking moments of gain and loss. The universe doesn't need to be fleshed out any more than it is. It was about the "Oh fuck." of them seeing Beth's building, or flipping on the night vision to see "Holy shit!" or watch the F-16 bombing run from another angle that isn't horrifyingly perched on top of a crumbling skyscraper and the success of the military against the monster is just irrelevant against the final moments under the bridge and "I had a good day."

Hell, the only thing I think I really want to know more about is what happened to Lily.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #129 on: 28 Jan 2008, 08:09 »

i think it would be cool if they made some comic books or something to fill in A FEW gaps, but not everythiing.  i like the mystery.

SPOILER

at the very end, where they have the bit at coney island, and you're looking out over the water, if you look at the far right of the screen, you see something fall out of the sky and hit the water.

END
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

ohsweetjesusno

« Reply #130 on: 28 Jan 2008, 15:15 »

'twas a satellite, I think.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #131 on: 28 Jan 2008, 19:21 »

With what I have seen from the back story it may very well be A) Pieces of a whae that was ripped apart and washed on shore, or B) Pieces of the rig that were demolished a few days ago

I Am Not Amused

• http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
« Reply #132 on: 29 Jan 2008, 06:50 »

I refuse to watch this movie because using a giant lizard as an allegory for being at ground-zero on 9/11 is one of the few things I would genuinely attach the word "pretentious" to.

Seriously, guys.

Um. Except it's not an allegory for that.

At all.

The ONLY thing any member of the production team said about it being like 9/11 is that they used how the buildings fell, with the clouds of dust and stuff, as a VISUAL REFERENCE for what would happen in their movie when the buildings fell. Way to spread misleading, misinformed information.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #133 on: 29 Jan 2008, 07:01 »

With what I have seen from the back story it may very well be A) Pieces of a whae that was ripped apart and washed on shore, or B) Pieces of the rig that were demolished a few days ago

but the coney island bit happened like two or three weeks before the monster came.  i think it's the monster falling from space... or something.
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #134 on: 29 Jan 2008, 14:11 »

I am not really sure of the time frame, but there was a drilling rig located some miles away from the shore of Manhattan and it was pulled under water, then rocketed into the sky.  There was a "news story" about it

MusicScribbles

« Reply #135 on: 29 Jan 2008, 15:04 »

A few nights ago I went looking online for a picture or video of this falling object, because, alas, I did not catch it when I saw the movie. I looked all over youtube and other sites, but only found extremely blurry 'proof'. Hence, I have not seen this yet. Does anyone have a possible link?

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #136 on: 02 Feb 2008, 21:59 »

In other news, Hud's Myspace page was edited after the movie was released. His height now reads 2'6".

Oh God hahaha.

I just saw this movie after being hardly spoiled on it at all (I saw a relatively inaccurate drawing of the monster on this thread, that's it).  I couldn't even watch the entire trailer because youtube is a fuckup on the campus network here.  This movie was pretty excellent, I thought.  I'm pretty tired right now, so I'll have to put into words why I like it so much at some later time.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #137 on: 09 Feb 2008, 06:20 »

Just saw it tonight. Not normally the kind of film I'd see unless I happened across it on T.V., but it was screening as a late show at my local fancy-pants art-house cinema, so I thought "why the hell not?"

It was pretty good, better than most monster movies out there. Even if it was basically a big non-interactive computer game. The characters were pretty dull, though. The whole "boring but hot guy tries to rescue boring but hot girl" thing was a pretty uninteresting plot. Got me thinking, though: with this whole viral marketing thing they've got going on, I haven't seen any advertising for the film (maybe because I never go to more commercial, blockbuster-oriented cinemas). If they decide to go for a more traditional marketing approach, obviously they're gonna need a tagline for the posters. I humbly suggest:

CLOVERFIELD
History's deadliest booty call

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #138 on: 09 Feb 2008, 22:43 »

...Thank you for existing.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #139 on: 10 Feb 2008, 06:52 »

Should I pass that on to my parents?

donovangelonardo

« Reply #140 on: 10 Feb 2008, 22:26 »

Seriously, guys.

Um. Except it's not an allegory for that.

At all.

The ONLY thing any member of the production team said about it being like 9/11 is that they used how the buildings fell, with the clouds of dust and stuff, as a VISUAL REFERENCE for what would happen in their movie when the buildings fell. Way to spread misleading, misinformed information.

I dunno, Gojira got away with it in the 50's, no one really considers that pretentious.  To quote Abrams, the idea is catharsis; you're seeing images that definitely evoke 9-11, yet the thing creating those images is this inconceivable abomination.  It's combining real terror with unreal circumstances, which is the cornerstone to the carthartic, enjoyable fear that filmgoers take from horror films.

It's like vampires as analogy for rape and zombies as metaphors for the destruction of the human spirit via capitalism or whatever;  serious themes+presentation in kind of ridiculous contexts=highly effective and fun
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up