THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A problem with torrents  (Read 4094 times)

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
A problem with torrents
« on: 23 Nov 2007, 21:10 »

So, I just started using torrents and I haven't gotten it to work properly.  I download a torrent that has a high S/L ratio, but when I try to convert it, all of the seeds seem to disappear and it overloads with leeches.  I've tried it with several torrents and all of them had the same problem.  Any suggestions?
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: A problem with torrents
« Reply #1 on: 24 Nov 2007, 07:46 »

Convert it? What?

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #2 on: 24 Nov 2007, 10:05 »

sorry, i guess i didn't know the right term.  The problem happens when I open the torrent with the program (like uTorrent).  I'm not sure if that clears anything up.  I'm trying to explain as best I can.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #3 on: 24 Nov 2007, 12:52 »

That's the thing, the torrent wasn't downloading at all.  It said on the tracking site that there were like 30 seeds and 3 leechers, but when I tried to download it, there were magically about 20 leechers and absolutely no seeds.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #4 on: 24 Nov 2007, 15:36 »

Would you happen to know somewhere I could obtain one?  I know it's rather frowned upon in the qc forum, but any other recommendations would be great.

dennis

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • A sockful of quarters makes the medicine go down.
    • Lies! Truth!
« Reply #5 on: 24 Nov 2007, 23:33 »

That's the thing, the torrent wasn't downloading at all.  It said on the tracking site that there were like 30 seeds and 3 leechers, but when I tried to download it, there were magically about 20 leechers and absolutely no seeds.
You just have to wait. Just because the tracker says "x seeds" doesn't mean that there are that many currently available. A lot of them won't want to connect with you until your ratio is better, too.

And 30 seeds and 3 leechers isn't really enough to get a good rate, anyway.

And to add to Anyways' post: leechers still upload. You upload as you download. This is how the network works. Large files get split up into small chunks, and your computer gets those chunks from various machines in the crowd. Most of your download bandwidth isn't going to be from the seeders; it's coming from the leechers (assuming that there are many more leechers than seeders, as there usually is on a mature, but not old torrent). Seeders mainly fill in the gaps.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
« Reply #6 on: 25 Nov 2007, 18:39 »

Only problem is, the two best private trackers, OiNK an Demonoid, are both down.  Demonoid is supposedly coming back, but no one knows when.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Ozzman

• Not quite a lurker
    • My Myspace
« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2007, 09:30 »

Hm.  Never heard of OiNK and .. when did Demonoid go down?
I probably sound foolish for asking that...but I'm curious.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2007, 11:52 »

What.cd and waffles.fm are two replacements for OiNK. I don't know what What is like, but waffles is nearly identical to OiNK with far less users. (They're trying to get their shit together before massive amounts of invites go out.)

The only problem with waffles I've come across is for some lesser-known stuff, more obscure stuff, only 2 or 3 people are seeding it. So I have to wait 10 minutes for the download instead of 2.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 01 Dec 2007, 12:19 »

I'm gonna have to resort to using irc to get invites for these sites aren't I.
Pages: [1]   Go Up