THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 09:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: There Will Be Blood  (Read 40682 times)

JaneBriefcase

Re: There Will Be Blood
« Reply #50 on: 11 Feb 2008, 15:51 »

I feel I'm one of the only people who really didn't like this movie  :|.  I've loved PTA's films in the past, but I think this one left too much outside the box to make me leave the theater caring about the characters or the film itself.

**May Contain Spoilers**

Don't get me wrong, as he always is, Daniel Day Lewis brings out the "best" of any character he portrays. He was the only thing I enjoyed about Gangs of New York.  But, unlike his other movies, I believe we're left caring too little about the characters or the story.  Plainview is just a wholly awful human being.  He states his desire to be alone early on and doesn't love or care about anything else if it doesn't serve his own benefit.  For me, the revelations at the end about Eli and Plainview were all too obvious throughout the whole movie, and I thought the ending was nothing surprising by a bitter, hateful man and the boy who, in a sense, was just like him. Basically using everyone around them to their advantage, and with absolutely no remorse.

I feel like the middle of the movie was entirely too slow, and the juxtaposition of Jonny Greenwood's music for the film was too awkward in the film.  PTA's films have done this in the past, but I thought they were done very well--especially Magnolia.  I thought there were so many moments in this film that gave a heightened sense of fear or just overall tension, but neither the characters nor the scene were reflective of this. 

And, unfortunately, I think Paul Dano was incredibly mis-cast.  As his "twin" he was more convincing, but to attempt and convince an audience that this self-centered, arrogant boy had the ability to convince others that he was a leader?  I just didn't buy it.  If you consider those who've done that in the past, from Charles Manson to Hitler to David Miscavage and that guy on infomercials late at night giving away healing Manna...there's something charismatic about them, something that gives other people the desire to believe them, to want to believe them.  There was nothing from Paul Dano as that character to make me believe that he was this person.  His own family saw right through him, and were afraid of his insanity.  Afraid of this boy, who had no real power to convince anyone of anything---yet he had this church full of believers. 

I'm just trying to get a sense of what people actually saw in the movie versus what you can dig and find as meaning after the fact. I understand that a lot of PTA's movies inspire a search for meaning, an understanding not fully ascertained by watching the film outright. But I thought that this one asked too much of us, for meaning that just wasn't there for me.

I thought the idea of the movie was excellent, I thought the characters would've been amazing had we had a sense of caring about them (and not caring in the sense of love, you can care about characters that inspire hatred--or inspire something).  But for me, the story just wasn't there.

There's more, but I wont continue ranting...just maybe seeing if someone out there shared my opinion : )

Don't kill me please, just my honest opinion.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #51 on: 17 Feb 2008, 21:35 »

One night, I'm gonna come inside your house, wherever you're sleeping, and I'm gonna cut your throat.

Shadows Collide

« Reply #52 on: 18 Feb 2008, 06:28 »

Wait, so he loved Magnolia but really didn't like There will be Blood? This guy must be crazy! Oh, I understand.  :roll:

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #53 on: 18 Feb 2008, 08:29 »

I really disagree with Paul Dano being miscast. You compare his leadership to that of Adolf Hitler and other huge political figures. This is a small isolated village, not an entire country. The man does not need the charisma of a superhero to gain spiritual popularity in new pioneer town out in the middle of nowhere. He has the ability to convince everyone, if not even himself, of his spirituality and intense connection with God, all while being a kind, soft spoken farm boy. His father didn't necessarily "see through him," but knew the guy was a bit off and prone to passionate outbursts, something he did in church on a regular basis. Which church figure isn't prone to passionate outbursts?

I thought it was perfect. Loud and charismatic wouldn't have worked for his character. The silent, creepiness of the character was far more convincing for the setting.
« Last Edit: 18 Feb 2008, 08:31 by SevenPinkerton »

JazzyJoe

« Reply #54 on: 18 Feb 2008, 14:54 »

Terrible movie, the story moved about as slow as a corpse stuck in molasses during winter. Again people think its clever to make religion look insane in their movies, that got old before "talkies" came about.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #55 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:28 »

what

EDIT: I have to stop just posting "what" as a response. Apt as it may be, it's not really a full enough thought.

Still, you missed the point by a wide margin, dude.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #56 on: 18 Feb 2008, 15:53 »

I think what Johnny is trying to say is that the movie isn't there just to be 'witty' or 'clever'.
I would have to tell you that you might have been watching it for all the wrong reasons. One of these namely being that you weren't watching the movie for the characters, but for the possibility that this movie is trying to tell the world how religion is such a silly thing. This was never a possibility, but a delusion. I am sorry to break your delusion.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

thebrosef

« Reply #57 on: 18 Feb 2008, 16:02 »

I liked There Will Be Blood although I would still give the nod to No Country For Old Men. It might just be me, but the music in TWBB really got on my nerves. Every time the music seemed to be getting really intense I felt a bit let down because not as much happened as I thought would. However, the characters were very well played I thought. I liked the preacher boy, and I agree that the creepiness of him was well cast. As much as I thought this movie was really well done, and as much as I think it has a shot at best picture, I really just personally prefer a different type of movie. Not enough happened for me, even though I know that a lot happened. If that makes any sense at all.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #58 on: 18 Feb 2008, 16:07 »

Not at all. You're making a lot of sense. I also like No Country For Old Men more. I've probably grown tiresome to be around so far as picking what movies to go see has been this year. I always say that we should go see NCFOM even though I've already seen it.
As far as the soundtrack for There Will Be Blood goes, I really liked it, but I can see how it must have grated for some people, it heightened the experience for me. I liked how the music seemed to go nowhere at all, which seemed to reflect the maddening circles that some of the characters were running in. [I hope that isn't too pretentious and bland a connection to make. Don't take it seriously.]

JazzyJoe

« Reply #59 on: 18 Feb 2008, 17:42 »

Actually Scribbles I went into the movie with high hopes and simply wanting to be entertained... I have no idea why anyone would see a movie for another reason. Classic case of good actors in a bad movie.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #60 on: 18 Feb 2008, 17:51 »

This is what I was gonna say:
"Alien thought the notion may seem, occasionally movies are meant to do more than simply pacify the consumer."

And then I was gonna be all "Jesusfuck I'm being pretentious. Beg pardon."

But now I think I kinda stand by it.

thebrosef

« Reply #61 on: 18 Feb 2008, 20:05 »

As far as the soundtrack for There Will Be Blood goes, I really liked it, but I can see how it must have grated for some people, it heightened the experience for me. I liked how the music seemed to go nowhere at all, which seemed to reflect the maddening circles that some of the characters were running in.

No I guess I could see how the music could add to the experience in that regard. Maybe I was just frustrated enough with the characters that the music just got on my nerves instead of serving another purpose. Also I watched the movie on my laptop because of torrents it is a movie theater, so I was listening through headphones. So the really hi pitched 2 violin notes over and over were aggravating.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #62 on: 18 Feb 2008, 21:43 »

Actually Scribbles I went into the movie with high hopes and simply wanting to be entertained... I have no idea why anyone would see a movie for another reason. Classic case of good actors in a bad movie.

You are like my mother. She justs wants entertainment. If she ever has to put an ounce of thought into a movie it is pretty much guaranteed that she will not like it. And she asks questions. Usually I am watching with her and I have to answer them.

When I go to a movie, I am expecting some level of entertainment, but if a movie can really make me think I just love it that much more.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #63 on: 18 Feb 2008, 21:50 »

I'm really overly sensitive to loud noises and so the music right off made me cringe way past my comfort levels. Looking back, it set the mood just about right for the movie. But anymore of it and I would have had a massive headache.

JaneBriefcase

« Reply #64 on: 19 Feb 2008, 08:32 »

I really disagree with Paul Dano being miscast. You compare his leadership to that of Adolf Hitler and other huge political figures. This is a small isolated village, not an entire country. The man does not need the charisma of a superhero to gain spiritual popularity in new pioneer town out in the middle of nowhere. He has the ability to convince everyone, if not even himself, of his spirituality and intense connection with God, all while being a kind, soft spoken farm boy. His father didn't necessarily "see through him," but knew the guy was a bit off and prone to passionate outbursts, something he did in church on a regular basis. Which church figure isn't prone to passionate outbursts?

I thought it was perfect. Loud and charismatic wouldn't have worked for his character. The silent, creepiness of the character was far more convincing for the setting.

I didn't compare him to all huge political figures, but I think you're missing the point. All huge political figures and talking heads come from humble beginnings. No person just outright becomes a huge leader.  If you look at small cases of the same behavior, the leader of these small offset religious groups are charismatic--people are drawn to them they want to follow them.  You don't need to be a superhero or a huge political figure to gain followers, you just have to have the personality to do so.  I don't think in that situation, I was convinced by his character that he was that person.  I don't think anyone around him would buy it either. 

For me, the fact that people believed his spiritual connection with god and intensity in the movie seemed very very false to me.  I understand that you do, but I feel that in that situation, outside of a movie context, I really feel like nobody would buy it.

You Said: "Which church figure isn't prone to passionate outbursts?"

The successful ones are prone to meaningful outbursts, they understand how their actions gain trust and following from others, they are great manipulators. Paul Dano's character's manipulations are just so un-threatening.  They're undermined by anyone in the movie with a sense of reality.  I really don't think someone like that would've gained the amount of followers that he did by the end of the film.  You can tell that his influence has supposedly grown far past  his "spiritual popularity in new pioneer town out in the middle of nowhere"

thebrosef

« Reply #65 on: 19 Feb 2008, 09:02 »

The part of his character that really drove it home for me was the way he sort of carried a quiet air of command about him. He wasn't particularly assertive, but he always acted like he didn't need to be. He acted at all times as though his God would justify all of his actions and smite those who spoke against him. Also, when he was in church, he took command of the church like it was his divine right.

I liked him, but I'm just one person.

JaneBriefcase

« Reply #66 on: 19 Feb 2008, 11:42 »

The part of his character that really drove it home for me was the way he sort of carried a quiet air of command about him. He wasn't particularly assertive, but he always acted like he didn't need to be. He acted at all times as though his God would justify all of his actions and smite those who spoke against him. Also, when he was in church, he took command of the church like it was his divine right.

I liked him, but I'm just one person.

I spoke to a bunch of people about the movie that said the same thing--I suppose I am on a constant quest to find out what other people thought and why people just love the movie so much.

I think if I had seen it that way while watching it, I might have a different opinion of it. When I was watching it, my interpretation of his "quiet air of command" was more of an uncertainty of self, he just never looked comfortable to me, I never really saw him as a strong person.  When I saw him in the church, I saw a boy way in over his head--acting as though he thought he should act, going through the motions that so many others had gone through before him.

Faker

• Furry furrier
« Reply #67 on: 19 Feb 2008, 15:41 »

****Spoilers****

Acting or not, I have to say it would take a substantial sum of money to make me stand in a room whilst Daniel Day Lewis flung bowling pins at me!
You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

monkandmovies13

« Reply #68 on: 28 Feb 2008, 21:12 »

I didn't think Paul Dano was that great...I was kind of disappointed by his performance.

But I loved almost everything else. Definitely one of my favorite movies ever. Daniel Day Lewis is my new hero.

Plus I loved the music! It added such a strange atmosphere to the movie that really made sense, I think.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #69 on: 28 Feb 2008, 21:42 »

Yay for liking the soundtrack. You are now a person I can identify with!

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #70 on: 29 Feb 2008, 09:36 »

They should have given little HW the oscar for best supporting actor.

FracturesOfReality

« Reply #71 on: 04 Mar 2008, 03:02 »

I don't understand how one can dislike the score.  It works so well with the film. 

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #72 on: 04 Mar 2008, 13:49 »

Brilliant score. I had the opportunity to see Popcorn Superhet Receiver, the Johnny Greenwood piece from which much of the score is culled, performed in New York. It's a fantastic piece of music in its own right and a terrific compliment, I think, to the film.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #73 on: 06 Mar 2008, 21:45 »

So I just saw the movie last night. 

DDL, of course, was brilliant.  I was reminded of Butcher Bill a little, but this is not to say that DDL's performance was similar to his previous one at all.  Merely to say that
a) both characters had gigantic mustaches ('There Will Be Mustaches' indeed!)
b) both were psychotic fucking people (though it happened slowly over time for Plainview).

I think i saw someone say that Daniel Plainview never really cared for anyone - I don't believe it.  Even though he said it himself, I don't believe it.  He loved his son his whole life.  He didn't have to take him in, he could have just left him in that bucket.  Remember that scene where he slapped Eli around when he asked for his money?  That outburst was driven by a father's grief over a wounded son.  If he just wanted to abandon the boy, he could have left him on a train to nowhere, instead of to a school where he could learn to communicate and lead a successful life.  His pride, along his crippling loneliness, did drive him to lash out at HW in the end, but even that wouldn't have happened if he didn't love his son. 

I still have an issue with the Paul/Eli thing - where did Paul go?  Plainview says that he gave Paul $10,000 up front for the speculation - when did that happen?  Any why do we never see Paul again?  We only see Daniel give him $500 and he runs off, presumably back to the ranch.  Can someone explain the Paul thing, 'cause I an really confused  :-(

Seeing Eli get his comeuppance (having to make the confession, as Daniel did) was incredible and satisfying.  I don't think the movie was attacking religion at all - I think it was attacking false prophers, charlatans, attacking the people who use religion for selfish motives, sullying both themselves and the church they claim to serve. 

I've seen people's explanation of the murder at the end, and I suppose I do understand it more now, but when I saw the movie, it seemed wholly unnecessary.  I'm still trying to make total sense of it, but I dunno...

In general though, I enjoyed the movie very much.  Definitely not in my favorites of all time or anything, but I did really really enjoy it.  That Daniel Day-Lewis is incredible.

the Paul thing?  Help!   :?
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #74 on: 07 Mar 2008, 09:57 »

Daniel was lying to him.

"I'VE ABANDONED MY BOY!"

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #75 on: 07 Mar 2008, 19:59 »

Daniel was lying to him.

"I'VE ABANDONED MY CHILD!"

Fixed.

That scene in the church was really great though. During the 2 and a half hours the film lasted, I wasn't even bored one minute. It is a really good movie.
Sometimes I look at Achewood archives while listening to Spoon.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #76 on: 08 Mar 2008, 01:22 »

I think he shouted both, actually.

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #77 on: 08 Mar 2008, 05:07 »

« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2008, 06:27 by Scarychips »

monkandmovies13

« Reply #78 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:24 »

Yeah, at the end of that, he definitely shouts "I've abandoned my boy."

The 10,000 dollars vs 500 dollars Paul thing also confused me. I was convinced that Paul took the money and ran away, but I don't know where the 10,000 dollars came from

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 08 Mar 2008, 09:32 »

Scarychips

• Scrabble hacker
  • Wwaahhhhhh
« Reply #80 on: 08 Mar 2008, 10:27 »

Indeed, I was wrong, I thought he only said "I've abandonned my child".

Ikrik

« Reply #81 on: 23 Mar 2008, 16:05 »

"Alien thought the notion may seem, occasionally movies are meant to do more than simply pacify the consumer."

BLASPHEMY!  If that was true why would they sell delicious popcorn at the theatre?  If i'm paying 10 bucks for a movie and another 10 for popcorn I demand satisfaction and entertainment.  I haven't seen this movie myself but when I saw the trailer where they're in the church and that kid is slapping DDL and telling him to repent my jaw absolutely dropped.  I think that most people, when they see this, are expecting an exciting thrilling movie that they don't have to think a lot about.  I saw Pan's Labyrinth 3 times when it came out and the second time when I was walking out of the theatre this woman was talking to her husband and she said....I quote because it has been branded in my brain and it's everything that I hate in people.  "It was terrible, There were like no special effects at all and yet people are saying it's beautiful.  And did you know that it's subtitled? If I had known that I wouldn't have even gone."  I almost had a JTHM moment....almost. Some of the people who I've talked to have made similar complaints about this movie.  "it's too intense" "I didn't like it, I wanted to see something fun." 

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #82 on: 27 Mar 2008, 13:56 »

Liz is touching me.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 27 Mar 2008, 16:30 »

Whenever someone says "Oh hey what's that say on your t-shirt?" you should scream "I DRINK IT UP!!" at them after they have read it.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #84 on: 28 Mar 2008, 11:39 »

I would totally do that.

Now I want to get my sister to order it for me (this kid doesn't have a credit card).
Liz is touching me.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #85 on: 30 Mar 2008, 08:29 »

I still have an issue with the Paul/Eli thing - where did Paul go?  Plainview says that he gave Paul $10,000 up front for the speculation - when did that happen?  Any why do we never see Paul again?  We only see Daniel give him $500 and he runs off, presumably back to the ranch.  Can someone explain the Paul thing, 'cause I an really confused  :-(
Paul Dano, who played both Eli and Paul, was originally supposed to only play Paul, and some other actor was set to play Eli. Shortly into shooting they replaced him with Paul Dano and edited the script to make Eli and Paul twin brothers. Reportedly, the switch was made because the original actor playing Eli was so intimidated by the intensity of DDL's acting, and the fact that he stays in character both on and off the set.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #86 on: 30 Mar 2008, 20:52 »

I appreciate explaining the actor thing... but what about the story as well?  We see Paul in one scene where Daniel gives him $500, but then at the end of the movie Daniel tells Eli that he gave Paul $10,000?  When did that happen?  And where did it come from that Pail is a successful oil man now?  How did Daniel know that - small industry, news travels fast, i guess?  Or was it just something he made up to scare Eli even more?
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #87 on: 31 Mar 2008, 15:58 »

I'm pretty sure it was bullshit. It was just part of toying with Eli.

borderlineangelic

« Reply #88 on: 09 Apr 2008, 03:12 »

The influx of these jokes aside, I saw a simple black t-shirt on it yesterday that read "There Will Be Milkshake" in the logo font.  I had a moment.

Buying this DVD tomorrow.

bwell

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #89 on: 16 Apr 2008, 09:35 »

Yeah, at the end of that, he definitely shouts "I've abandoned my boy."

The 10,000 dollars vs 500 dollars Paul thing also confused me. I was convinced that Paul took the money and ran away, but I don't know where the 10,000 dollars came from

yeah he was lying to hurt eli more. especially because 10k was the amount eli wanted for the church
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2008, 09:37 by bwell »

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #90 on: 16 Apr 2008, 09:41 »

I just watched it recently.. man, Paul Dano blew me away! DDL is my favorite actor ever, but he was almost overshadowed.
Hate, rain on me

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #91 on: 16 Apr 2008, 10:11 »

I think that may be the least true thing I've seen all day. I thought Dano was pretty OK but nowhere near great. For such a young actor he did an impressive job and stood up well to the strength of DDL but I really think there's very little contest when it comes to their acting chops, especially in this movie.
« Last Edit: 16 Apr 2008, 10:13 by TheFuriousWombat »

Hollow Press (my blog)

teecomb

« Reply #92 on: 16 Apr 2008, 19:01 »

Oh man, I fucking loved this film. First off, the score was just wild. Jonny Greenwood is the man. Also, I think Paul did a great job as Eli, but saying he overshadowed DDL is just wrong. Daniel's character was just so complex and the slow decline into insanity was just done so perfectly. Paul, on the other hand hand, didn't have such a complex character. The end was fantastic. The end made the movie.

I want that 'There Will Be Milkshake' shirt

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #93 on: 17 Apr 2008, 17:42 »

I just watched it recently.. man, Paul Dano blew me away! DDL is my favorite actor ever, but he was almost overshadowed.
Hate, rain on me

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #94 on: 17 Apr 2008, 21:58 »

I did indeed notice that word the first time. I still think it's a major overstatement.

Hollow Press (my blog)

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #95 on: 23 Apr 2008, 10:37 »

Just watched it again last night...the first time I saw it, I didn't fully realize how amazing the final scene is, because it was late and I was starting to nod off. But I haven't seen a dramatic scene of that quality in a long time.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #96 on: 23 Apr 2008, 12:15 »

It goes from farcial to frightening in the space of about three seconds.

RedLion

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #97 on: 23 Apr 2008, 19:00 »

Exactly. The whole "I drink your milkshake" bit could have ruined that scene--maybe even the entire movie. Instead, it made it classic. It just clicked.
"Death is nothing, but to live defeated is to die daily."
 - Napoleon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up