THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curse you, itunes! / Can I really tell the difference between bitrates?  (Read 8221 times)

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • It is a foreign country!

I recently put a load of mp3s I'd ripped from various CDs onto my iPod, and have listened to them a bit for the last few days. For some reason, listening to most of the albums, they seemed a little...off, but I couldn't put my finger on why. Looking on iTunes now, I noticed that for some reason they've all got a bitrate of 96kbps, and I think this might be why. God knows how iTunes ended up with that setting - why would anyone in their right mind rip mp3s at anything less than 128? I'm pretty sure that above that I can't notice a different, but now the 96kbps thing is really bugging me.

I really can't be bothered to rip all these albums again, but I kind of want to. Am I really hearing the difference of a low bitrate, or am I just letting my mind screw around with me?
Quote from: Jens in Meebo
"MY SON JUST WANTED TO COME LIKE A THUNDERSTORM"
"AND YOU ROBBED HIM OF HIS LIFE"

tommydski

I can definitely tell anything lower than 160kpbs and my ears are fucked.

I don't think you're imagining it at all. I know a lot of people claim to not be able to tell the difference between 128kpbs and above but I simply don't believe people wouldn't be able to identify 96kpbs. There's a very audible difference in clarity.

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Yeah, I think you're right. I've set it to 196 now to be on the safe side, and plan to rerip any good albums that I have at 96. As soon as I can be bothered..

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

I can notice when something is 96 kbs. That's roughly it. After that it is not really too important to my ears.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker

I rip at V0 when I can because it is a good quality on the off chance I want to do something with the song (mixes, editing, etc.), but it doesn't take as much space as a 320 rip, although I can rarely hear the difference above 192 on my listening items of choice.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

for an odd reason, anything below 128kbs gives me a headache.

mattgcn

• Emoticontraindication
  • The goat, the pole and their relative positions
    • MATTGCN

Usually I can listen to horribly low bitrates and barely notice. Or I just tune out quality difference. I have a bunch of music that's just friends with somewhat good condenser mics making music. And a couple of YouTube rips *shot*
Still trying desperately to fit in

Edible

Meh its itunes, what do you expect...

Mnementh

I definitely notice when something is that low.   I tend to rip everything at 320 or V0 (using iTunes-LAME).  I figure that way if I ever invest in a high end audio system I'll never notice the difference.

And I have a lot of space.

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer

I always rip at 320, too, because I can hear the difference between it and 256.  It's not that big a difference unless you turn your music up a bit (which I do)
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

october1983

• Cthulhu f'tagn

I didn't notice for so long because I've been listening to everything through my laptop's speaker ever since my other speakers went mysteriously missing after a party. I really need to sort that out.

kablaaamo

I rip at 256; I have two homes (student apt, parents' basement) and at one of the two, I have a pretty nice stereo. On that, I can definitely hear the difference up to 160....

But then I still rip at 256. It's like chocolate. Sure, you can't really tell the difference in quality after a certain point, but Godiva is still so good.

Mnementh

I always rip at 320, too, because I can hear the difference between it and 256.  It's not that big a difference unless you turn your music up a bit (which I do)

Right now I'm just using an old iTrip, but I imagine I'll really notice the difference when I get the iPod hooked up directly to my car stereo.

Spinless

Hah, just a few months ago when I smashed my laptop, I was able to back up about half my music to my PC. That's about 10gb. I thought I'd be able to get all my music back from the old laptop, but this wasn't the case. Don't ask me how or why I did this (it involves software from Creative if you're interested), but I somehow managed to convert all my music on the PC from 256kbps mp3s to WMA files ranging from 32kbps to 64 kbps.
I could definitely tell the the difference. It was about 2 months I was listening to this music until I got a new laptop and started to replace it all.

muteKi

Yeah, 96 is usually too low for me, but I do it if I'm ripping off an old album where the source data isn't too high in audio quality.
128 is usually near-lossless for me, but if some music is high on cymbal use, the compression artifacts are noticeable.

It depends on the source material, sort of like how a jpg of a picture taken with a camera looks good but a jpg of a rip of my desktop or a hand-drawn image through, say, photoshop has more noticeable artifacts as a result.

Beren

• Curry sauce

On my shitty computer speakers I can't tell the difference between anything over 160. On my headphones.. I think I can tell the difference between 192 and 256 most of the time, but I may just be fooling myself.
All About Strange Beasts of the Present

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online

I can tell the difference between 190 and 128. I have a lot of mp3s from various places at 128 and they definitely sound worse than similar songs of higher bitrates. I have decent speakers/headphones though, so maybe that's the reason.
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2007, 14:21 by TheFuriousWombat »
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Narr

I rip at 256, even though I really don't have the "space" to justify it.  After having listened to higher quality MP3s for awhile, I can tell when it's lower than 196 pretty much right away.  I also tend to listen to music loudly so it sounds extremely washy if I skimp on the quality.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART

I used to use Limewire to get music, so I didn't often mind when it was a low quality because, frankly, I couldn't get a lot of really better stuff.
Nowadays, it's hard for me to listen to a song that's under 162, because the distortion is just so distracting.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi

I don't think I've ever even heard an mp3 that was lower than 128.

I usually can't tell the difference, even with headphones on.  Then again, I play in a very very loud psychedelic rock band and I do not wear earplugs.

Oddly enough, though, I can still hear very well at distance.  Maybe, like the dude from Blue Cheer, my eardrums have developed calluses.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

John Curtin

Have you ever visited a band's myspace before?  As far as I know Myspace music is 96kbps MP3.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

and just 'bout anything else on youtube.

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ

I can tell up to a certain point... oink's standards were good enough for me. Even with grados through a good sound card and amp, I don't really hear differences too much past 192 VBR
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Beren

• Curry sauce

I'm ripping Vinyl into 320 now and convincing myself I can hear a difference on my headphones.

I'm so full of shit, though.

VirtualWolf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • virtualwolf.org

I can definitely tell anything lower than 160kpbs and my ears are fucked.

I don't think you're imagining it at all. I know a lot of people claim to not be able to tell the difference between 128kpbs and above but I simply don't believe people wouldn't be able to identify 96kpbs. There's a very audible difference in clarity.

Aye, all my stuff is ripped as 160Kbps AAC. It's a good balance between quality and file size, and I find metal doesn't compress well at 128Kbps.

Beren

• Curry sauce

Well, as long as you're convinced yourself, does it matter if it's a placebo effect?

Nope, I'm gleeful at Coltrane at 320

Der Turm, der Leute frass

• Furry furrier
  • kwargbrzzz...brhhgfschrrg???

I don't rip cd's at all
not mainly because of the quality but because I got so many, that it would probably take me months to rip them all

I'm SWISS, so don't expect any "creative" english phrases.......

-i'm responsible for de existence of the universe....even if i forgot why

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

What does frass mean?

• Furry furrier

What does frass mean?

"frass" is the past simple of "fressen" in 3rd person singular

der turm, der leute frass = the tower that ate people

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

I like how fressen is equated with "feeding" rather than "eating".
I already knew the nouns

• Furry furrier

I like how fressen is equated with "feeding" rather than "eating".
I already knew the nouns

you're right, fressen is normally translated to feeding, not eating.
But "Der Turm, der Leute ass" didn't sound that good to me
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2007, 16:49 by Der Turm, der Leute frass »

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(

ass is my favourite simple past conjugation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up