THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey, Help Me Get Into Folk Music!!  (Read 6062 times)

BrownCow

Hey, Help Me Get Into Folk Music!!
« on: 30 Nov 2007, 16:04 »

So just like the title says, I need some help here. I'm completely new to the genre - I thought it was cheesy country music for a while there (I'm ashamed I know)!

I've been drawn in a lot by Jose Gonzalez's sound. I've also checked out the Red Hash album in the sendspace thread and really enjoyed that, and have been looking into some Obadiah Parker and Joshua James. The problem is: I don't know where to go from here. I know nothing about what is considered "good" or "bad" folk - for all I know I've been listening to crummy music and there's a lot better stuff out there.

For what it's worth, I like it for the mellow meloncholy sounds (acoustic guitars, vocals, etc.). So your task is to help me find more stuff I should like! Thanks!!!

Edible

Re: Hey, Help Me Get Into Folk Music!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2007, 16:40 »

Future of the left - Curses -  Suddenly It's A Folk Song

: )

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2007, 16:53 »

I do believe someone uploaded The Anthology of American Folk Music in the sendspace thread a while ago, so I would check that out and download it. It's a great compilation of folk music from before and up-until the early 20th century.

Good latter American acoustic folk artists to check out are Woody Guthire, Dafydd Iwan, Pete Seeger, Harry Belafonte, Burl Ives, Odetta, Phil Ochs, Tom Paxton, and Joan Baez.

Later, the blending of folk with other styles of music (mostly rock and roll) became popular. Great examples of this from America, England , Ireland and Canada are Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, Crosby Stills & Nash (and Young), Neil Young, Fairport Convention, Gordon Lightfoot, Donovan, Joni Mitchell, and the Pogues.

For modern folk music, I'd check out Bonnie "Prince" Billy and his associated projects, as well as Devendra Banhart.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2007, 22:29 by JimmyJazz »
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

Spinless

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2007, 16:55 »

No mention of Gram Parsons yet? For shame!

Spinless

« Reply #4 on: 30 Nov 2007, 16:56 »

Hey, is Magnolia Electric Company 'folk'? I guess is it.
So check out anything with Jason Molina in it?

JimmyJazz

• The German Chancellory building
  • World's Forgotten Boy
« Reply #5 on: 30 Nov 2007, 17:02 »

How could I forget Gram? I guess it's because I associate him more with country, although he can be labeled as a folk artist.
Tell her to buy a cosmo magazine, usually they have an article titled 101 ways to put stuff in your manfriend's butt.

SeanBateman

« Reply #6 on: 30 Nov 2007, 17:05 »

Are you sure you deserve to get into folk music?

Are you cool enough for that?

BrownCow

« Reply #7 on: 30 Nov 2007, 18:26 »

Man, I sure hope so. Because I like what I'm hearing with some Joshua James, Patrick Park, and Joshua Radin (does he count even?)
  :-D  If not now, I sure hope to ONE DAY be cool enough.

monkandmovies13

« Reply #8 on: 30 Nov 2007, 21:24 »

Laura Nyro. Richard Thompson. Fairport Convention. Ray LaMontagne. Amos Lee. Leonard Cohen. Jackson C Frank. Emiliana Torrini. Edie Brickell. Devendra Banhart. Vashti Bunyan. Nico. Damien Rice. Phil Ochs. This is probably a big huge stretch but...Augie March? Maybe?

I am the WORST person at categorizing music, so a lot of you may not even consider some of the things I put down as "folk." I'm not even sure if I do.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #9 on: 30 Nov 2007, 21:37 »

I think JimmyJazz pretty much owned this thread.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #10 on: 30 Nov 2007, 21:57 »

Fionn Regan!!

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 30 Nov 2007, 22:25 »

Here a few picks from my music library that I happen to enjoy a whole lot:

Bob Dylan
Will Oldham
Iron & Wine
Joanna Newsom
Nick Drake
Rogue Wave

And here's the Anthology of American Folk Music link:

http://www.box.net/shared/bxzjphofz7

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2007, 22:27 »

No one's mentioned the Garry Higgins yet. Get his album in the sendspace thread. It's awesome. Seriously.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2007, 23:50 »

Will Oldham

You want to listen to this guy.  He has recorded under a bunch of different names.  Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Palace, Palace Music, Palace Songs, Palace Brothers.  He is wonderful.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #14 on: 01 Dec 2007, 00:02 »

yes, I deffinitely agree. Will oldham kicks all kinds of ass. vashti Bunyan is great. Dylan is my god. A lesser known artist (she only released one album before becoming a prostitute and dying of a heroine overdose on the streets of New York), is Karen Dalton. I think she's wonderful- really strange, rich Billie Holidayesque voice. There's a shitload more of classic stuff which isn't coming to me just now.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #15 on: 01 Dec 2007, 00:24 »

A lesser known artist (she only released one album before becoming a prostitute and dying of a heroine overdose on the streets of New York), is Karen Dalton. I think she's wonderful- really strange, rich Billie Holidayesque voice.

From your description here I googled Karen Dalton and oh my fucking god I need to find her albums now. Thanks for that.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #16 on: 01 Dec 2007, 00:54 »

Happy to spread the love.

The only album she released was In my own time, which is just covers. They're all amazing though because she absolutely makes them her own.

She was part of the group playing at the gaslight in New York in the early 60's playing alongside Bob Dylan and Dave Van Ronk. Alot of this early live side has been released just this year and the owner of my favourite record shop keeps urging me too get it but it's $54. She's also Nick Cave's favourite musician.

I usually don't rave this much on this site, but I just desperately want more people to discover her.

EDIT: My mistake, she had two albums.
« Last Edit: 01 Dec 2007, 02:02 by Ishotdanieljohnston »
Pages: [1]   Go Up