THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'tis better to give?  (Read 5571 times)

kablaaamo

'tis better to give?
« on: 01 Dec 2007, 07:51 »

Alright, I was discussing this with a friend and thought I'd throw it out to the QC forums:

What are your thoughts on giving music (ie. full albums, not mix cds) to friends as gifts? Personally, I think it's a little sketchy; my own response to music is unpredictable enough that trying to buy/choose for someone else, hoping they'd like it....it's a tricky thing to do.

(That being said, I still think it's awesome that everyone on her giftmas list is getting Wu Tang this year. :-D)

valley_parade

• coprophage
Re: 'tis better to give?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2007, 08:45 »

I've given CDs as gifts before, for the most part they've been really well received.

If possible though, I like giving vinyl. Still looking for a copy of Grand Funk's live album for my dad, and I'm not giving him mine.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #2 on: 01 Dec 2007, 08:59 »

Well I've given CDs numerous times (usually burned copies with customized artwork on the CD and a handmade CD booklet for the jewel case). I don't see why it would be a bad thing if you know the person's taste in music. I know the kind of music most of my friends listen to and I know what bands/artists are among their favorite. This actually makes it quite simple and pretty much worry free in giving them CDs. I probably give more mixes but I've always gotten good responses from the albums I've given as well.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Ocarina654

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #3 on: 01 Dec 2007, 11:17 »

I usually only give music as a gift to a few people that I know what they'll want/enjoy.

Like, I got a Blind Guardian album for a friend last year because I knew he liked Blind Guardian and didn't have that album.  It was enjoyed.
Same with a few other people and a few other bands.

But unless you know its something they want/already like it IS a risky choice.  But still, a gift is a gift.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #4 on: 01 Dec 2007, 13:01 »

Giving music is a little risky.  A few years ago we cat-sat for a friend.  When she came to pick up the cat, she brought us an album she figured we would enjoy, Cowboy Junkies.  We did enjoy it - our copy was playing on the CD player when she arrived. 

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #5 on: 01 Dec 2007, 13:25 »

I've only ever recieve CD's from relatives and they tend to be by bands that I 'should' like such as Wolfmother, Jet, Coldplay, the Killers, etc.

If you are going to give CD's to people surreptitiously gage their reaction to bands/artisits that you play. In addition to this you should also brake into their place of dwelling and note what music they have, this includes CD players, hard drives and other portable music players. From this you can then gather a very good idea of what CD to buy for them. If it is a birthday check with fellow present givers (friends and family) to avoid doubling up. Feel free to gloat in present giving superiority.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #6 on: 01 Dec 2007, 15:51 »

Your local record store probably has a gift certificate and does mail-order.

I'm just saying.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Edible

« Reply #7 on: 01 Dec 2007, 16:01 »

Mmm I give all my friends any music that I have that they want anyway so it would be strange too give it as a present. That said gift vouchers are always good.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #8 on: 01 Dec 2007, 16:26 »

I love giving albums as gifts, I plan to do it often this year.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #9 on: 01 Dec 2007, 17:14 »

I'm not sure I would want my friends to give me music for a birthday present and I'm pretty sure on the flip side they wouldn't want to have to try and find something for me.  There are only one or two people who I would trust to pick out something that I would like and don't already own, no one else that I know is into music enough to really care.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #10 on: 02 Dec 2007, 06:16 »

I know more about music than most people I know, so I use my powers for good instead of evil by giving them music I think they'll like. My sister even asks me for mix CDs sometimes of 'stuff [she] should like.' I don't remember the last time I got someone a CD and they hated it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.
Pages: [1]   Go Up