THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 03:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The rise of 30 Rock  (Read 22708 times)

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
Re: The rise of 30 Rock
« Reply #50 on: 03 Feb 2010, 08:23 »

even Pete.

Hey, man, Pete is one of the best parts of the show.
He is, but his juiciest plotline this season was ripped off from the Simpsons (stuck inside a vending machine) he's one of the characters that's suffered from Kenneth's domination of C-stories.

That has also been done by Sealab (Off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are MANY others, like inviting two dates to the party, it's been done before & will be done again.)

Wolves, I'm super glad you said you've been watching community, me & the Oliver watched all them in a row the other weekend, started off slow, let you get into the characters then let it get steadily funnier. Which is something 30 Rock did, also Parks.

Now what do these three things have in common?

SNL. It might be just awful at the mo, but we have NOTHING like that in the UK. Whilst the stand up circuit might produce a lot of AMAZING comedians that you barely ever see on TV. (Daniel Kitson, Will Hodgeson) there's nothing that really stretches Character writing, sketch writing AND live performance. I think Lorne Micheals is responsible for A LOT of good American comedy. (As are the writers of the Daily show.)

Have a look on 4OD at the Comedy Lab. There always used to be great pilots on there, more recently the only two great episodes on the involved David Cross (<3) & Demetri Martin (<<3) Last time I checked they were both American.

Honestly apart from Misfits & Charlie Brooker I barely watch ANY UK tv. I listen to a lot of the comedy shows on radio 4 (Just a minute, I'm sorry I haven't A Clue, The News Quiz, The Now Show.) & I like QI & Mock The Week, but all those shows have Older, more seasoned comedians on. There's no one really new & exciting.

It's still the Mary Whitehouse Experience, Adam & Joe etc. People involved with Spaced, from when I was at school making the shows.

This is why I'm going to make a TV show myself. Oh look, I making a blog about it: http://idonemadedatvshow.blogspot.com/?zx=6f0ca41b2825f29f
(It counts because the last post is about Tina Fey.)

Also this:
Peter Serafinowicz
Still blown away that my DVD is the fastest-selling ever in UK. http://bit.ly/cVAGPT
« Last Edit: 05 Feb 2010, 08:12 by elizaknowswhatshesfor »
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #51 on: 04 Feb 2010, 17:13 »

For Community, I think episode 3 was probably when it really got going, if only for these bits: that's racist and krumping. Since then it's been by far the most consistent of the Thursday night run. Parks can be great when Ron Swanson is just being awesome and I have a lot of time for Aziz Ansari, but it can go badly wrong like the Venezuela episode which was appalling by their standards and far too "lol foreigners".

Hey, you know what the new equivalent of The Mary Whitehouse Experience or The Day Today is for new British comedians? Cowards. Most notable cast member being Tim Key. You'd better hurry up with your programme, because things are looking bleak for our side of the pond.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #52 on: 04 Feb 2010, 20:28 »

Before we stop talking about classic British comedies altogether I'd like to remind everyone of the Book Group.

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #53 on: 04 Feb 2010, 20:32 »

That looks awesome.  I want more adulation for A Bit of Frye and Laurie.  Specifically, I want to know what condiment you would smear on your body if it would get you new episodes.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #54 on: 04 Feb 2010, 21:13 »

Holy shit tonight's episode was grand.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #55 on: 04 Feb 2010, 21:56 »

Before we stop talking about classic British comedies altogether I'd like to remind everyone of the Book Group.

Ah yes. Bit patchy, but there were some good bits. I particularly liked the one where the team went to Spain and the hot Spanish player is macking on Rab. But for unfairly forgotten Scottish comedies Mr Don And Mr George is probably the pinnacle.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #56 on: 04 Feb 2010, 22:27 »

Holy shit tonight's episode was grand.

Did you know that "Julianne Moore" is an anagram for "Still hot at 50"?

Re Book Group, as much as I enjoy Anne Dudek, just once I want to see her cast as someone other than a highly strung insecure self-hating bitch.
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2010, 23:33 by pilsner »

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #57 on: 05 Feb 2010, 08:17 »

Also Judd Apatow co-wrote and produced.  And Jon Stewart was a frequent guest.  Frankly, with the talent they had on that show, it could have been Shandling lighting his farts 30 minutes every week and would it would still be epic.

I spent most of last night watching this: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D3C727E190B87869&search_query=Undeclared&rclk=pti

It's Judd Apatow's sitcom form ages ago, Undelcared. I think it's pretty funny, I am massively biased as I have a huge crush on Jay Baruchel, but it has Amy Pohler in it & I love her.

Also Charlie Hunman from Sons of Anarchy. I thought he had a terrible British accent, then realised who it was & that he is British & felt silly.

Just thought I'd add that in...
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #58 on: 05 Feb 2010, 19:46 »

Undeclared was pretty amazing. Everybody talks about Freaks and Geeks being the great unheralded, underrated series of the past however-many-years but at least most people I meet have actually heard of F&G-whether they've seen it or not is another matter- which is more than you can say about Undeclared.

Also Eliza how could you forget to mention that it has David Krumholtz! I love me some Krumholtz (except for Numb3rs, that's dogshit)
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #59 on: 07 Feb 2010, 09:09 »

This is true, Freaks & Geeks was pretty good & had some ace people in it, but Undeclared has some AMAZING cameos & moments. Will Ferrel & Adam Sandler being two of the most famous, if not the best of them.

I also love me some Krumholtz, enough to watch more than one episode of Numbers *blushes*

This is fairly interesting also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tP1HQSComo

It's part of the panel discussion with the cast of Undeclared at the Museum of Television and Radio. There's some interesting bits about casting & whatnot.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #60 on: 10 Feb 2010, 23:33 »

Now I miss Undeclared. The Ex and I, that was one where I'd go to his place after work and he'd have a new disc from Netflix and I remember saying "Man, this is so good!" each time after like every episode. I watched Freaks and Geeks when it was on tv but not that one for whatever reason.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up