THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 08:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Y: The Last Man optioned by New Line Cinema  (Read 8454 times)

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
Y: The Last Man optioned by New Line Cinema
« on: 01 Nov 2007, 19:33 »

Quote from: bkv.tv
Co-created with artist extraordinaire Pia Guerra, Y: THE LAST MAN is an ongoing series published monthly by DC/Vertigo Comics. It’s about a mysterious plague that kills every male on the planet except for a young escape artist named Yorick Brown and his pet monkey Ampersand.

It’s not as stupid as it sounds.

Recently optioned for the big screen by New Line Cinema, Entertainment Weekly gave the comic an “A,” The Washington Post gave it an “A+,” and The St. Louis Dispatch called it “the best science fiction story in America.”

Y: THE LAST MAN is a finite series, and our final chapter (Issue #60) should be coming out sometime in 2007. If you don’t feel like buying individual issues every month, you can always check out our collected editions, which have been published in several languages all over the world, including France, Germany, Norway, Spain, and Indonesia. (emphasis added)

Quote link
IMDB page (although there's nothing there)

Your thoughts on this? I'm honestly not a fan. I can't see how they can fit everything into the movie. Maybe a trilogy, but would people actually go see the movie? How the hell would they get a Capuchin monkey with Ampersand's antics? How would they do (this badass scene) or (that badass scene)?

Although BKV works on Lost, and I hear that a few people watch that television show...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
Re: Y: The Last Man optioned by New Line Cinema
« Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2007, 21:10 »

I really thought I'd like this comic, but i read the first trade back and could not get into it... I don't see how it would work as a movie.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2007, 18:42 »

Hmm. I wish they'd do a TV mini-series a la Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.  Matter of fact I'd wish they did a lot more comic-to-screen transitions via a TV mini-series. And then put it on DVD ASAP so it could be minez.

SeanBateman

« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2007, 10:11 »

Hmm. I wish they'd do a TV mini-series a la Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.  Matter of fact I'd wish they did a lot more comic-to-screen transitions via a TV mini-series. And then put it on DVD ASAP so it could be minez.

Neverwhere was a TV series first, then a Novel, then a Comic book.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2007, 15:31 »

I meant comic-to-screen more generally, not referring specifically to Neverwhere, although I didn't know that the show came before the novel.
Pardon. Still, I think that format would work a lot better for Y: The Last Man as well as other comics than a feature film would.

...btw, is the Neverwhere comic any good? I was only vaguely aware of its existence.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2007, 15:36 by De_El »

carrotosaurus

• The German Chancellory building
  • Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #5 on: 28 Nov 2007, 12:25 »

I love the Neverwhere novel, but hated the comic.

mella

« Reply #6 on: 01 Mar 2008, 06:07 »

We hope fine. I watched so many  movie comics so far from the comic books!

ravenjade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #7 on: 01 Mar 2008, 23:51 »

So, now that Y: The Last Man is finally over comic-wise, do people think it'll translate well onto the big screen or no?

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #8 on: 05 Mar 2008, 06:13 »

One movie would be much too short, and I doubt they would make open-ended somehow.
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

Fletch

« Reply #9 on: 05 Mar 2008, 06:37 »

Possibly not related, but there was a Frank Herbert novel with a similar plot - an engineered virus that kills only women. "The White Plague."
Does anyone know if there's any link between them?
Pages: [1]   Go Up