bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
Civ4
« on: 02 Oct 2007, 06:16 »

This is my favorite game ever!
You?

Also, I wanted to know if us QCers could have a weekly game of Civ4.

-also I searched this, and the last thread about civ was in 2005, so I didnt want to necropost-
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Dimmukane

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • juicer
Re: Civ4
« Reply #1 on: 02 Oct 2007, 16:48 »

My computer went up shortly after buying it (for unrelated reasons) which left me in a tizzy.
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2 on: 02 Oct 2007, 17:48 »

With the two expansions . . this game rocks.  Also, throw on an extra 10 AI into your map, and jack on 'raging barbarians' . . build the great wall asap and watch the hilarity ensue.

Kinichie

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Uses Caps Too Much
« Reply #3 on: 02 Oct 2007, 18:06 »

I know i'm new but i'm up for a game. My Civ 4 has been collecting dust for a while, it'd be a nice way to brush it off. I only have the main game and Warlords however.
One by one the Penguins steal my sanity.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #4 on: 02 Oct 2007, 23:45 »

I had to stop playing Civilization because I'd start playing at around noon, and stop playing at one two or three in the morning.  I just loved it when I ended up being years ahead of every other country scientifically.  I ended up taking over entire continents with three tanks and a squad of marines.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

ackblom12

« Reply #5 on: 03 Oct 2007, 00:21 »

The civ series has probably devoured more of my life than any other game franchise made by a hell of a lot.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #6 on: 03 Oct 2007, 03:02 »

With the two expansions . . this game rocks.  Also, throw on an extra 10 AI into your map, and jack on 'raging barbarians' . . build the great wall asap and watch the hilarity ensue.

Thanks, Dave Grohl!

This actually sounds like a lot of fun.

I would be up for a QC game except the game always lags like a bastard around 2000 years in whenever I play multiplayer.

Also what is the second expansion like? I play warlords a lot, but I never picked up the next expansion. I can probably get it for cheap by now, actually.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: 03 Oct 2007, 03:21 »

yeah, I might get the expansion for all the spy stuff.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #8 on: 03 Oct 2007, 04:10 »

Oh shit thats right. Please tell me being rich as fuck allows you to basically use spies to mess with everyones shit like in the earlier games, because the only gameplan I have that works particularly well on the harder difficulties is basically religion whoring, and solid financial expansion, resulting in a dude with way too much money. The problem is you can't really do a lot with a fuckload of money apart from building shit quickly, and if I'm not paying attention I get glomped by the AI.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

ackblom12

« Reply #9 on: 03 Oct 2007, 10:36 »

Beyond the sword includes everything that Warlords does, but then adds in about 2 more expansions worth of things that are amazingly awesome.

Yes, having far too much money allows you to do spy like things pretty much at will in Beyond the Sword. It's great great fun.

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #10 on: 03 Oct 2007, 17:25 »

In BtS, you actually have an 'intelligence' slider . . just like you have a tech / culture slider.  You earn points (which you can adjust the rate they accumulate on different opponents) that you can use to do what you want with your spies.  For instance, if I wanted to steal technology or start a riot, I just move my spy to that city -- throw and pay that many spy points.  Also with your spy points, if they're high enough, you can see military presence in their cities, reveal the cities, and reveal their current research goals (on the bottom left menu that shows the scores).  Go buy it now!

Shamana

« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2007, 14:54 »

I don't know how they do it, but Civilization games have something... special to them. They're not the most impressive games one way or another, but have you noticed how incredibly hard it is to quit them? It started with the first Civ for me... the "one more turn" syndrome, as I call it. I wonder if they use it for Shaolin mental training... they should ;) .

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2007, 16:25 »

We should start a weekly/monthly game! 

Anyone else in?

ackblom12

« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2007, 16:52 »

It's Civ IV, of course I'd be in.

StMonkey

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • *Comment of negligible importance*
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2007, 06:53 »

I would play but I had to ban myself from every playing any Civ game again. Between Civ and Harvest Moon series, I'm pretty sure I've used a year of my life just on videogames, and I've only been around for eighteen.
Carpe Gluteum
The bottom line is, if anyone is going to start playing pranks by stuffing large quantities of food in their mouths, be wary.

Shamana

« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2007, 03:12 »

Hmm, if you put it that way, I'm sure I've used up more.

Damn. Not that it didn't feel good...

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: 14 Nov 2007, 05:26 »

Hey it could  be worse!

You can be playing a bad game for hours and hours on end.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus
Re: Civ3 and Civ4
« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2007, 01:25 »

I don't know how they do it, but Civilization games have something... special to them. They're not the most impressive games one way or another, but have you noticed how incredibly hard it is to quit them?

I started with Civ3, loved it and was lucky enough to be in the Conquests beta! What a blast - 4 of the best months of my life (yeah, I know...)
I love getting ahead in tech, and warmongering; hate being the outcast religion: nobody will deal. Actually, dealing with the AIs is not usually fun, unless you have the advantages.
I bought Warlords too, but overpriced. Vassal states a good idea but so nerfed it's more trouble than it's worth.
CivIV is prettier (awesome zoom from space) more depth, good spy system, but I prefer the way Civ3 does some things. Like artillery, and Armies; and the nine Conquests... not to be missed.

Civ3 & 4 and GTA:VC & SA = years of my life.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2007, 02:00 by tomart »
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Cortillian

« Reply #18 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:30 »

I've been playing civilization since it was still in b/w, and i do love civ4, sadly a while back i had to uninstall them for HD space, since then i've aquired an additional harddrive but wont let me reinstall civ4. I've yet to piece out why and fix it, but i crave playing it again.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2007, 21:33 »

Not to be that type of person, but Civ games haven't appealed to me from 3 onward. I guess I'm an Alpha Centauri partisan. That game was just about perfect. I never felt they improved upon that design.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: [1]   Go Up