THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Phobias.  (Read 48899 times)

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Phobias.
« on: 09 Dec 2007, 07:08 »

Discuss your phobias, provide suggestions on how to get over them, etc.

If this becomes a list thread with a "Mine is more debilitating than yours" overtones, I will explode.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
Re: Phobias.
« Reply #1 on: 09 Dec 2007, 07:20 »

We already had a phobia thread like last month.

My phobia is being raped by the big black guy on the bus who told me he was a rapist and went to prison for four years. But not really because he's a lying kid.

I turn my fear into hate. Fuck insects! (not in a sexy way).

camelpimp

« Reply #2 on: 09 Dec 2007, 07:34 »

Where do I start? I'm scared of everything. Honestly, I'm not sure how I manage to leave to house. I predict I'll be agoraphobic in a few years.

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
« Reply #3 on: 09 Dec 2007, 07:35 »

yeah, i recall this thread. ah well!
i am really terrified of molasses, cars and mold. there isn't really a way to get over these things. cars is a really tough one because it's something that is always going to be a part of my life. i never got my driver's license until very recently, and until then sort of let people laugh and think it was laziness when really i have just been absolutely terrified of them for as long as i can remember. i drove a car for the first time a few weeks ago and had probably the biggest panic attack of my life because i become absolutely convinced i would kill someone. in all honesty, though, i will vehemently argue against anyone who challenges me that being afraid of cars is WAY more rational than spiders or heights or dying or whatever. people die in car accidents all the time. they move really fast. they're heavy. it's fucking scary stuff. i guess with time my fear of cars will become easier and easier to deal with but i still aim to make them as small a part of my life as possible.
mold and molasses are somewhat easier to handle. i avoid mold by keeping my kitchen clean. i avoid molasses by staying the fuck away from molasses.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

camelpimp

« Reply #4 on: 09 Dec 2007, 07:36 »

^ Actually, I hate cars too. Driving is fucking terrifying.

And why are you afraid of molasses?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #5 on: 09 Dec 2007, 09:07 »

We already had a phobia thread like last month.

*shrug*

I am terrified of cars too. This may or may not be directly related to the fact that I nearly get run over every day.

I don't even leave my house every day and the damn things almost nail me.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2007, 10:13 »

People who are afraid of cars are just sensible, and a refreshing departure from the SUV mentality. "The roads out there are dangerous so by golly I'm gonna have the biggest fucking vehicle I can so I come out on top in a crash."  I am far too nonchalant about cars, and tend to walk right in front of traffic provided I have any pedestrian right of way.  Legally, they should stop, but they don't always, so I should really be more careful.

I have no fear.  I do not especially care for those creepy basement lurking centipedes, but they don't send me into a panic. 

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #7 on: 09 Dec 2007, 10:50 »

i know two different people who have actually been hit by cars, while not in a car themselves, because said cars didn't stop even though they as the pedestrian had the right of way. they are both okay now but spent a considerable amount of time in hospital recovering from bruises/broken bones/head trauma/etc. IT'S REALLY FUCKING SCARY I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY MORE PEOPLE DON'T LIVE IN FEAR OF MOVING VEHICLES (although i do appreciate the amount of people posting here who agree with me, seriously you have no idea how much of a weirdo other people make me feel like for being terrified of something that is a pretty normal part of modern society. or maybe you do.)
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #8 on: 09 Dec 2007, 10:54 »

I got hit by a car at a slow speed and believe me, it hurts. Also I have a fear of falling, not of heights, necessarily, but of high places where I am not safe from falling, and have either nothing supporting me (plane) or must hold myself up (tree).
Hate, rain on me

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #9 on: 09 Dec 2007, 11:04 »

The dark, seriously. I sleep with a lamp on at night and don't go outside after twilight. And the funny thing is, this just started a couple of years ago. I used to need complete darkness to sleep. Maybe it's because I got the internet and stupidly watched screamers sent to me as pranks? I offered to go out to the barn with my boyfriend to help with the animals. I made him take a huge flashlight and I clutched his arm every step of the way there and back.

I don't have a phobia, but I don't like spider. My boyfriend has a real phobia of them. He won't even look at pictures and if you crawl your hand up his back, he freaks out. That's how I know it's real love when he kills them when we see them in my bedroom. But then he promptly goes in convulsions.

After reading 1984, seeing large quantities of rats or mice make me run away in fear.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #10 on: 09 Dec 2007, 11:11 »

Cutting myself on coral, large spiders, drowning, anything involving my fingernails/toenails being removed. Basic stuff, really.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
« Reply #11 on: 09 Dec 2007, 11:21 »

I'm not afraid of large spiders.  In fact, I think they are pretty damn awesome.  It's the small spiders that scare the bejeezus out of me.  They look like they could hide anywhere and creep into your clothes or shoes at any point and you would never know it.  Eughhhh....
I've got a small sticky-out scar like a third nipple just under my right manboob from where I was bitten by another kid in Year 3.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #12 on: 09 Dec 2007, 12:16 »

I think I've mentioned it before, but I really hate needles. Hatehatehatehatehate them. I know that I really should be donating blood now that I'm old enough, but I just can't get over the thought of those goddamn needles. Going in for vaccinations is bad enough.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #13 on: 09 Dec 2007, 12:18 »

Well, its good to know that I'm not the only one scared of cars. I'm not actually afraid of spiders or snakes, it's just getting bitten by them that scares me.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #14 on: 09 Dec 2007, 12:28 »

(although i do appreciate the amount of people posting here who agree with me, seriously you have no idea how much of a weirdo other people make me feel like for being terrified of something that is a pretty normal part of modern society. or maybe you do.)

Being hit by a car travelling at 60mph is like falling off a 12-story building. The maximum distance somebody is able to fall without dying is about 3 stories.

THE MORE YOU KNOW...

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #15 on: 09 Dec 2007, 12:29 »

the safer you don't feel

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #16 on: 09 Dec 2007, 12:42 »

I think I've mentioned it before, but I really hate needles. Hatehatehatehatehate them. I know that I really should be donating blood now that I'm old enough, but I just can't get over the thought of those goddamn needles. Going in for vaccinations is bad enough.

Donating blood sucks.  I did it once and I nearly passed out.  Granted, I hadn't eaten anything all day, and only had a cup of coffee in my system (go me!).  I will probably do it again someday, when I can get over the discomfort of it.

I don't think I have any phobias, so much as paranoia.  I always feel like I"m being watched, or some serial killer is going to break into my house at night and kill my whole family in front of me, or I'll fail to protect them or something, and then I'll die.  I don't like walking in dark places in town at night, because I always think some drugged up moron wielding a knife or broken bottle will jump me and murder me.

So...yeah.  Paranoid is me.

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #17 on: 09 Dec 2007, 13:01 »

I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: 09 Dec 2007, 13:04 »

I fucking hate bats.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 09 Dec 2007, 13:30 »

Last night I threw up twice due to one medium-sized spider. I did kill it though, and called my mom afterwards to brag that I did it by myself. Normally I just stare at it until it moves out of sight.

The only way to really get over a fear of stuff like that is to deal with it head-on; I was in the science museum in Minneapolis and got to pet a tarantula and it actually really helped.

(I also agree that a fear of cars is way more rational than spiders or something; same with that fear of falling mentioned above)
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #20 on: 09 Dec 2007, 15:35 »

Spiders. Hate every single last one of the bastard things. You will never get me to stand close to a spider with knowledge of it. I burst into tears at a faire once because there was tarantula in a cage about 10 feet away from me. The act before me. I had to pass it to get on stage. Well, until the guy who took it realised i was having a panic attack not too far away and took it straight from the stage to his van. They make me so scared that I am physically sick. I cannot stand them and even just thinking about them makes my skin crawl.

Pigeons. Horrible disease filled birds that are everywhere. I mean seriously, they live in every city, areabout as common as rats and can fly. How these things don't freak the fuck out of everyone else in the world is beyond me, they're filthy, they shit everywhere, noisy, and chase me. Do. Not. Want.

And finally. Sheep. I would not last long in New Zealand or Wales, that's for sure. Even watching them through a car or train window gives me the willies. I can't stand them. They're clouds with legs, but they're on the ground. They always look like they're plotting something and i really don't want to be around when their plan finally goes into action. They're ghastly. I think it's the most irrational fear out of all the ones  I have, and to be honest I don't care.  I can't eat lamb, and I can't wear wool because both bring me out in hives because I have such a freak out. I hate sheep.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Tehz

• The German Chancellory building
  • and the driving snow that drives me home
« Reply #21 on: 09 Dec 2007, 15:41 »

I used to really like spiders, but not anymore. I can't completely describe why, but they just irk the shit out of me now.

I also hate looking in the mirror/out of windows when it's late in the night or when I'm home by myself. With mirrors, I always expect someone to be standing behind me, and with windows, I always expect for like, a face or a pair of eyes or something like that to appear.

Honestly, I'm afraid of a lot of things, but I'd rather not go into details about some of them.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #22 on: 09 Dec 2007, 15:45 »

Cars for me too. Well realy not so much cars but driving.  This is why I do not even have my learners yet and I'm very soon to be 21.  I think I hould try to go for it soon though, because alot of jobs need you to be able to drive as a pre-requisite.

Also, clowns. I know it's an obvious one but goddamn those sons of bitches are scary!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
« Reply #23 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:11 »

Clowns are probably the scariest things on the face of the planet.  Ugh, I get nauseated just thinking about them.
I've got a small sticky-out scar like a third nipple just under my right manboob from where I was bitten by another kid in Year 3.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #24 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:29 »

I have a thing about Cancer. No seriously, in lengthened conversations about it I get uncomfortable, feel ill, and sometimes pass out. I'm not sure what it is, I kind of feel this way about most medical-type things, but cancer in particular really gets me.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #25 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:31 »

My fears are silly. Needles(i'm afraid they will break off, flow through my blood stream, and stab me in the hearts), cotton balls(they make my skin crawl. I can't even explain it. I don't want to think about them), flying(I am convinced something will go wrong. Always).
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #26 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:33 »

I tried to find that one quote from the Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers movie, where that one princess girl is all, "I don't fear death, I fear being caged or whatever..." and then Aragorn is like "You're a princess, that shit aint gon' happen."..

Oh well.

I don't like spiders. So, I guess I have slight arachnophobia. I still kill them when I see them though-it's just a slight "Oh fuck, it's a spider!", then I squish it;sometimes even with bare-hands.

Oh yeah, and I have a slight phobia of midgets and blatantly opened homosexuals who I don't know. I don't know where the midget thing comes from, but I think the homophobia links back to when my mother told me about molesters and my best-friend's brother came out of the closet and was hardcore-gay around me all the time. I was like 7, I'm okay with my sexuality and stuff, so it's not that... Like, on the internet, or anywhere that isn't face to face I'm fine with talking to them, but I just get nervous around gay guys in person.

I have no problem with homosexuals except that they kind of make me nervous when I'm around them. Oh man, I never want to meet a hard-gay midget.

PS- By midgets I mean people with dwarfism, not short people.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #27 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:43 »

I don't feel like my fears are so silly now.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:45 »

I hope no one freaks out on Chrasstor though. I mean, he's only being honest.

I'm afraid of the mentally disabled. Well, not really afraid. I'm just really awkward around them, I have no clue why.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #29 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:48 »

Hate, rain on me

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #30 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:51 »

fuck you and the clowns!

I scrolled down and nearly cried.  I now hate you.
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #31 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:53 »

That leather daddy dwarf probably gave Chrasstor a heart attack.

Also, getting stabbed in the eyes freaks me out. I can't wear contacts because I'm too afraid of touching my eye. Battle Royale (the book) is freaking me out because nearly everyone is getting their eyes gouged out.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2007, 16:55 by thatwittygeek »

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #32 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:53 »

Mollasses actually.  But that doesnt look like mollasses to me.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #33 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:54 »

I don't get clown fear. Is it the fake smile? Bad experiences at a circus? Being told that clowns are scary?

I can't abide by wasps and other stinging insects. Not at all. Fuck wasps.

And can I really say I have a phobia if I'm alright while looking at pictures? It seems like a lot of people here can get freaked out by the mere mention or displayed image of their phobia. I'm fine if I see a picture of a wasp, but if I know there's one in close proximity to me I either freeze up or drop everything I'm carrying and run for the nearest safe place while screaming at the top of my lungs.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2007, 16:58 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
Quote from: Andy
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

beat mouse

• The German Chancellory building
  • HEADACHE
« Reply #34 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:54 »

there is a late 80s camaro that some crazy as fuck housewife drives her kids to school in. when i was in grade 12 i would walk to school every morning at around the same time and this crazy red camaro driving lady would race in and out of intensely slow traffic and fly around the corner of the busiest intersection on this half of town, with not one, but THREE schools on that block. on two separate occasions she did this while i was crossing the street and ended up on her hood as she was driving around the corner. so, housewives with camaros who should not be driving and i hate. that is what i am afraid of.
you could have been fine, you could have made it, you could licked the lips of god but you chose the pavement.

Chrasstor

« Reply #35 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:54 »

I hope no one freaks out on Chrasstor though. I mean, he's only being honest.
I can't see why they would. Though I'm being honest, I'm also not saying that it's really a 'phobia' per se. Like, I don't see a gay guy or little person and freeze up... It's just, I get really nervous and start sweating and stuff if I'm around one.

Usually, if I talk to the gay guy or something I have no problem with them... But like, it's kind of like the anxiety you get when just meeting someone, except multiplied by 10.

As for 'people with dwarfism'/'midgets'/'little people', I don't know what that's about... I'm sure I could become friends with one, but I get worrisome when I see one around.

EDIT: Those shots didn't work for me. It's more a thing of contact, I think.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2007, 16:57 by Chrasstor »

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #36 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:55 »

Oh.my.god. That needle. My hand went right up to my eyes as soon as I saw it. I had them covered as I scrolled past the rest.

ETA: Chrasstor, don't feel bad. I once worked with a lady who was so afraid of midgets, that once one when a family of midgets came into our store she hide in the refrigerator until they left.
« Last Edit: 09 Dec 2007, 16:59 by Emaline »

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #37 on: 09 Dec 2007, 16:58 »

My clown fear stems from reading Stephen Kings IT when I was about 7.  And also i had a Ronald McDonald doona cover set.

For me it's the not being able to see their face properly.  I am also scared of strangers in masks/animal suits, but clowns mostly.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • My blog
« Reply #38 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:00 »

Dude, Poltergeist. That clown toy was fucking scary.

Also, I was afraid of Shelley Duvall for a while. Mainly because she was fugly.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #39 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:07 »

I second this.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Chrasstor

« Reply #40 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:19 »

I'm also kind of afraid of meeting people for the first time. Basically, I just don't say anything, and if I do, I stammer like a doofus or say things that normally I wouldn't say. I also don't like big gatherings without alcohol. For an example, I don't enjoy going to Hockey games or big public outings because I get dazed and actually get some of the afore-mentioned 'meeting someone for first time' symptoms.

It depends though, that's why I didn't initially put these. Sometimes I'll act normal when meeting someone the first time, or even crack jokes when I have an opening. Usually it's when I'm meeting somebody that I like will I freeze up. Like if it's a guy that I think is pretty cool in a non-douchey way, or if it's a girl that I think is attractive etc.

Actually, that's probably normal.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #41 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:22 »

Similarly, I am afraid of people pointing sharp objects at me, large gaping chasms, and large feral things with pointy teeth.

Chrasstor

« Reply #42 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:29 »

You guys don't understand me.

:'(

LordNagash

« Reply #43 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:38 »

I second this.

I am not really afraid of needles, I just have a bad reaction to them. My arm gets sore for a week after the shot. At the height of it I can barely move the arm, like I lifted too much.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #44 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:39 »

I used to be afraid of needles, but after having to have my blood taken month after month for some medication I lost it

sadly I can't actually give blood

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #45 on: 09 Dec 2007, 17:55 »

I get nauseous thinking about them.

And now I am going to leave this thread before I start freaking out.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

camelpimp

« Reply #46 on: 09 Dec 2007, 18:50 »

Getting an IV really make me truly dislike needles. Ick.

Also: Roaches. I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned! I can't stand bugs in general.

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #47 on: 09 Dec 2007, 19:23 »

fucking cory and his fucking needle picture I AM HYPERVENTILATING

I already told you guys I'm scared of It's A Small World
it's time to stop posting

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #48 on: 09 Dec 2007, 19:28 »

Water.

Water is the scariest thing ever.

Not the drinking water, but deep water. Oh man...insanely scary.

Also, getting sliced open by skates. It's not totally irrational, since I play hockey. I almost sliced my leg open when I fell the other day during practice. And the locker room horror stories about toes getting stepped on and stuff. I put my shoes on immediately after taking my skates off.
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
« Reply #49 on: 09 Dec 2007, 19:40 »

When I first read that, I thought you were referring to skates as in the fish.  I was like, but skates can't cut you...they bite. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up