THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 16:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel of Time book 12: A Memory of Light  (Read 21068 times)

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
Wheel of Time book 12: A Memory of Light
« on: 10 Dec 2007, 14:36 »

Tor Books has announced that Brandon Sanderson has been selected to complete A MEMORY OF LIGHT, the final novel in the Wheel of Time saga.

To be edited by Harriet, RJ's wife and long-time editor.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
Re: Wheel of Time book 12: A Memory of Light
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2007, 14:45 »

There 's your closure and his fan base really are quite avid

« Last Edit: 10 Dec 2007, 14:47 by n0t_r0bert_b0yle!! »

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2007, 14:47 »

I'm very mixed about this.

The series started out great, but then it stretched on and on without much happening. To many story lines. I'm really happy about it coming to an end.

And it's not going to be written by RJ, which makes me kind of sad. But at least we'll get to know what the man had planned.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Quote from: Michael McDonald
Dear God, I hope it's smooth.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Dec 2007, 14:52 »

Just in case you were wondering.

This is the man. Really big picture that makes you scroll to the right to slowly unveil his face used for maximum surprise effect.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Vancroth

• Plantmonster
« Reply #4 on: 10 Dec 2007, 18:45 »

The series started out great, but then it stretched on and on without much happening.

To be honest, this combined with the books falling apart leaves me unable to remember half the plot.  I'll be glad to finally finish it though.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #5 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:56 »

In a way I would almost consider this series pulp fantasy.
In the end I could care less about where the books lead because I want to read the end.
When Robert Jordan was alive I was more excited because his writing is what made the series enjoyable.
In the end of each book I cared less about how far the story had gone and more about how much fun the books were to read, which is what I read them for in the first place. Draggin plot didn't afflict me throughout these books because I guess that the evolution felt right for a decades long project anyway. I don't read the Wheel of Time for posterity, but for my cliche, high-fantasy appetite. The enjoyment garnered from each book was enough to warrant the reading of the next, and I was never disappointed. Jordan delivered. The end of this series will be sad because I won't get another chance to visit this world with a new story. In essence this has already happened, even if I have faith in the writer taking over, he isn't Robert Jordan.
I'm still interested in how the story will be written now though because I've never heard of this man or his work.

Cortillian

« Reply #6 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:19 »

In a way I would almost consider this series pulp fantasy.
In the end I could care less about where the books lead because I want to read the end.
When Robert Jordan was alive I was more excited because his writing is what made the series enjoyable.
In the end of each book I cared less about how far the story had gone and more about how much fun the books were to read, which is what I read them for in the first place. Draggin plot didn't afflict me throughout these books because I guess that the evolution felt right for a decades long project anyway. I don't read the Wheel of Time for posterity, but for my cliche, high-fantasy appetite. The enjoyment garnered from each book was enough to warrant the reading of the next, and I was never disappointed. Jordan delivered. The end of this series will be sad because I won't get another chance to visit this world with a new story. In essence this has already happened, even if I have faith in the writer taking over, he isn't Robert Jordan.
I'm still interested in how the story will be written now though because I've never heard of this man or his work.

I am of the same mind, i have a craving for all obnoxiously long plot lines/story lines so i can stay entrenched in one world for as long as possible, with wheel of time you can just read and read and read. I did much the same with Raymond Feist series.

Vancroth

• Plantmonster
« Reply #7 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:26 »

Well, I do remember loving it when I read it, but I just can't remember what happened because my books fell apart so that I couldn't reread them.  So far I haven't gotten around to purchasing new copies.

Also quoting the post above you is frowned upon.

mberan42

« Reply #8 on: 11 Dec 2007, 08:30 »

What MusicScribbles said.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

DavidGrohl

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #9 on: 11 Dec 2007, 18:27 »

I'm just glad we'll have a conclusion.  Anyone have any other similar book series for me to read?  Already finished with what's written of A Song of Ice and Fire.

MusicScribbles

« Reply #10 on: 11 Dec 2007, 19:15 »

If you want an even more clear-cut example of an established world in high fantasy, pulp-as-hell, go with anything written by R.A. Salvatore. He was my writer hero after I read Ender's Game in fourth grade. I still read his ongoing series. Also, Conan is where it began. And by it I meanit. I hope this is descriptive enough for a noun.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #11 on: 12 Dec 2007, 03:21 »

Terry Goodkind is pretty epic fantasy. I'm not sure whether it's finished yet. Also forgot what the series is called.

Raymond E. Feist is pretty good.
Expect lots of screaming, perversely fast computer drums and guitars tuned to FUCK

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #12 on: 12 Dec 2007, 09:24 »

R.A. Salvatore's series are definitely good and goes along with that classic high fantasy idea and has two really good trilogy's that I've read which both happen to contain Drizzt, but Ender's Game is a science fiction novel written by Orson Scott Card. The Ender series is good, so is his Earthfall series, that's a set of 5 books that'll take you a while to read, definitely some nice Sci-fi in there.

Another Sci-fi author that has got a lot of books out is Ann McCaffrey's Dragonrider series, though those don't really follow one character as much as a lot of them throughout the history of this world she's created.

Terry Goodkind's series is called the Sword of Truth series, and he's finishing it up by writing the last book of it too. I'm not sure, but it's probably number 11 or 12. I read him a lot like I read Robert Jordon, which is to say how MusicScribbles described it. He's basically made the end a trilogy of books, that are leading up to a big ass finish.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Shem Tealeaf

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • http://www.last.fm/user/ShemTealeaf/
« Reply #13 on: 13 Dec 2007, 22:33 »

Has anyone read any Brandon Sanderson?  I've never heard of him before, and I'm curious whether he's up to the task of finishing the series.

mberan42

« Reply #14 on: 14 Dec 2007, 08:01 »

The past four and a half posts have not been about WoT or Robert Jordan. START YOUR OWN THREAD, YOU THREADJACKERS!

Alegis

« Reply #15 on: 14 Dec 2007, 18:38 »

Finished book 6, considering I don't want shit for xmas I just told 'em to fetch me books 7-9 and I'd be happy.

Glad the series is getting finished. I don't read much at all so I doubt I'll finish the series and my 'to-read list' before book 12 is released in 2009.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #16 on: 14 Dec 2007, 21:56 »

Sorry about that, I'm neutral on the subject, It's really just about seeing how it'll turn out, I have no idea who the hell this guy is and I refuse to make a decision on looks alone, which though to be honest would not be helping him much, he definitely doesn't have the style and lacks the awesome hats that Robert Jordan owned.

Sure, he won't be Robert Jordan, but who's to say his won't be better? Meh, speculation about something I've got no clue of gives me a headache.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Alegis

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2007, 02:31 »

I refuse to make a decision on looks alone, which though to be honest would not be helping him much, he definitely doesn't have the style and lacks the awesome hats that Robert Jordan owned.
http://www.dragonmount.com/News/?p=326

(...)

Sanderson has since gone on to establish a loyal fan base as the author of three critically acclaimed fantasy novels: Elantris, Mistborn, and The Well of Ascension, as well as a YA novel, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians. Publishing trade magazines Publishers Weekly and Library Journal gave Elantris starred reviews and it was the winner of the Romantic Times Award for best epic fantasy. The Washington Post also praised Sanderson for his creation of “a fascinating world” in Mistborn.
(...)

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2007, 16:52 »

I'm really not sure what any of that has to do with what I said. I still haven't read any of his work and I still haven't seen a picture of him with an awesome hat.

Alegis

« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2007, 06:55 »

Well now you have a basic idea over 'who the hell that guy is'.

Oh well, better than nothing I guess. And Robert Jordan left enough information so the story should be very similar to what Jordan would have written.
And if you want anyone to 'mimic' his style as best as possible I guess this one would be one of the better candidates.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2007, 00:25 »

R.A. Salvatore?  Seriously?  Are we like 16 here?  Because when I was 16 was the last time I could stand Salvatore.

If you want to read some good epic fantasy that is more than D&D geek wish fulfilmment (OMG HE FITES WIFF TWO SWORDZ) I would suggest any of Robin Hobb's series, especially the Assassin Trilogy.

Also, Michael Swanwick's The Iron Dragon's Daughter, which is probably the most completely absurd and literary "fantasy" novel I can think of.  In fact, taken as a whole, when you think about what was really happening and what the ending really "meant", there's a strong case to be made that it's not even a fantasy novel at all.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2007, 13:01 »

actually, plenty of people on here as far as I can tell are sixteen, and since it was around sixteen( three or so years ago) was the last time I read any R.A. Salvatore, it might be a little better in memory to me than it would be now.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2007, 21:49 »

R.A. Salvatore?  Seriously?  Are we like 16 here?

What you have to realise is that a lot of them are, or younger.

mberan42

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jul 2009, 14:06 »

N-N-N-N-NECRO BUMP

(And I know this is old-ish news, but I went to the ALA conference on Saturday at McCormick Place in Chicago and found a flyer there at the Tor desk.)

A Memory of Light, book 12 of The Wheel of Time, has been split into three books. The first, The Gathering Storm, will be on bookshelves on 3 November 2009.

http://www.tor.com/index2.php?option=com_content&view=blog&id=19734

rynne

• Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #24 on: 14 Jul 2009, 14:33 »

AWheel of Time story that became ridiculously bloated?  I don't believe it!  :roll:

At least now fans are assured that Sanderson's following in Jordan's footsteps.
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #25 on: 14 Jul 2009, 14:35 »

I just want you guys to know that the only thing keeping me from making a full-on anti-Goodkind rant is that it's been a long ass time since Boro_Bandito mentioned him.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

kemon

• Furry furrier
  • seriously
« Reply #26 on: 14 Jul 2009, 14:41 »

that doesn't leave me much time to finish reading knife of dreams which has been sitting on my desk for almost a year now.  i just finished the mote in god's eye and romance of the three kingdoms before that if anyone else is interested in good science fiction or chinese historical fiction, respectively.  actually, romance deserves a lot more said about it, but i guess this thread isn't the place for it.

anyways, when i learned about the new writer picking up, it made me think of the things i've heard about hebert's son picking up his father's work in the dune series which has not gotten any much of a good review so far.
biting's excellent.  it's like kissing, only there's a winner.

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jul 2009, 14:42 »

Yeah, have you guys SEEN the new cover?? *shudders*
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #28 on: 14 Jul 2009, 14:53 »

I just want you guys to know that the only thing keeping me from making a full-on anti-Goodkind rant is that it's been a long ass time since Boro_Bandito mentioned him.

This.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #29 on: 14 Jul 2009, 16:26 »

Yeah, have you guys SEEN the new cover?? *shudders*

Daryl K. Sweet's covers are always mostly pretty bad.

Also this.

I'm a Wheel of Time fan, I belong to a few forums, done some fanart and hell I even enjoy the MUD. The last two I haven't done in years and I keep on the forums mostly because of the people and other content. I'm still a fan of RJ out of nostalgia. It was the first book series that got me hooked on reading as an enjoyment. Yes the series has been stretched to an unnesessary length and the writing is mostly bloated with heavy descriptions, but I'm determined to finish this goddamn series. Also Brandon Sanderson is one hell of a writer and I highly recommend to anyone his Misborn series as well as his novel stand alone novel Elantris.

Also, if we're gonna be recommending pulp-ish fantasy I say look around for Glenn Cook's Black Company series, Steven Erikson's Malazan Books of the Fallen and to a lesser extent for the pulp George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. And highfive to the dude that mentioned Swanwick.

Alex C

• comeback tour!
« Reply #30 on: 14 Jul 2009, 17:34 »

Actually, I lied. The fact that I've already done it at least once on these forums also contributed to not ranting. I'm predictable enough of a poster as it is.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #31 on: 15 Jul 2009, 13:07 »

I think we've actually discussed Goodkind a couple times in other threads quite a bit. And don't get me wrong, I'm just as ready to go on a rant about him as well.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #32 on: 25 Jul 2009, 09:01 »

I'm very mixed about this. The series started out great, but then it stretched on and on without much happening. To many story lines. I'm really happy about it coming to an end.

No kidding. I needed a damn chart to keep it all straight through just through the first five books. Let's see, it was about Rand. He was an Aes Sedai from Cold Rocks Hold who had to kill Padan Fain, right?

Nailed it.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 25 Jul 2009, 14:45 »

I'm very mixed about this. The series started out great, but then it stretched on and on without much happening. To many story lines. I'm really happy about it coming to an end.

No kidding. I needed a damn chart to keep it all straight through just through the first five books. Let's see, it was about Rand. He was an Aes Sedai from Cold Rocks Hold who had to kill Padan Fain, right?

Nailed it.

No, she was a writer from communist Russia.

FIXDIX

• Waka waka flocka flame
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jul 2009, 22:26 »

Who could erase people from time.

variable_star

• Furry furrier
    • BATTLE MASTERS!
« Reply #35 on: 26 Jul 2009, 15:04 »

Nailed it.

No, she was a writer from communist Russia.

lulz

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #36 on: 22 Nov 2009, 03:51 »

I'm not sure this is the most recent thread on this.

I just finished reading A Gathering Storm.

Guys, I thought it was really good. Like, back to first book good.

Shit actually happens. It was amazing.

Theriandros

« Reply #37 on: 22 Nov 2009, 09:53 »

Now that I know there's good stuff at the end, I'll restart this series after giving up on it around Book 5 a couple years ago.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #38 on: 22 Nov 2009, 10:06 »

Nah, skip them.

Damnable Fiend

• Curry sauce
  • oh I can put stuff here? that's cool...
« Reply #39 on: 22 Nov 2009, 14:37 »

I gave up reading them after plowing through that one book (I can't even remember which one it was, this was years ago) where nothing happens pretty much the entire book and then at the end Rand randomly decides to go to to Shadar Logoth and fuck shit up.

The only books in the series that I think are worth reading are 1-3.
"[human beings] just get carried away by new ideas, like dressing up in jackboots and shooting people, or dressing up in white sheets and lynching people, or dressing up in tie-dye jeans and playing guitars at people."

öde

« Reply #40 on: 24 Nov 2009, 18:58 »

"Cleanse the taint"

Shit's hilarious.

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #41 on: 30 Oct 2010, 06:42 »

Mega necro but I just learned that Towers of Midnight is coming out in three days.

the_pied_piper

« Reply #42 on: 30 Oct 2010, 11:22 »

While I own and have read all of the other books I'll probably leave this one for a while. The 12th one was a return to form of sorts, seeing as the story actually had some progression, but stretching the last book out into three separate books has irked me a bit and the story just isn't captivating enough for me to be really excited about this one.
He even really sponsored terrorism! Libya's like Opposite-Iraq, where all the lies are true!

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #43 on: 30 Oct 2010, 17:42 »

Mega necro but I just learned that Towers of Midnight is coming out in three days.
oh my god how did this sneak up on me  :psyduck:

I'm going to destroy my eyesight and my GPA by staying up all night reading this, every night.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #44 on: 30 Oct 2010, 18:43 »

I may actually have to read the final three books once they are all out.  I've heard good things about them from another source, so I am tentatively interested.

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #45 on: 30 Oct 2010, 20:12 »

12th book is good.  Not super good, but neither has any book in the WoT series been exceptional.

Really, you get over that it's a different writing style from previous books pretty fast.  Same plot, same characters, same setting, and the only major difference style wise is that Sanderson gives a tighter, faster-paced product than RJ did.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Nodaisho

« Reply #46 on: 30 Oct 2010, 21:10 »

I guess I'll have to get around to reading the rest of the series. I got up to the last Robert Jordan book by virtue of needing something to read before bed, and each book lasting me about a week. Not reading much now, though. I still have a few books I need to read that shouldn't have taken me nearly this long to get around to.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

StaedlerMars

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • hallelujah!
    • a WebSite
« Reply #47 on: 31 Oct 2010, 03:35 »

I've suggested to friends to read the first three books, read the wikipedia article summaries on 4-11 and then read 12.

mberan42

« Reply #48 on: 02 Nov 2010, 13:40 »

ONE HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTES UNTIL I LEAVE WORK AND PICK UP THE NEW BOOK. HOLY CRAP SO EXCITED!

I've suggested to friends to read the first three books, read the wikipedia article summaries on 4-11 and then read 12.

No way, man. Lord of Chaos is SO damn good -- Dumai's Wells is a bloodbath. If you REALLY need to skip the books, don't bother with wikipedia. Read Leigh Butler's re-reads on tor.com. She summerized every single chapter (up through the end of Winter's Heart, currently) and provides commentary on them all. They're really good, so skip wikipedia.

mberan42

« Reply #49 on: 03 Nov 2010, 13:55 »

Read the prologue and the first 15 chapters last night. Very good. I've been waiting for something like the end of chapter 13 for a LONG time (even before/disregarding what happened in The Gathering Storm).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up