THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 18:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ITT: We discuss all these possible Gibson/Stephenson screen adaptations  (Read 3504 times)

casull

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • LJ

There were some rumors of a Snow Crash miniseries recently, but that doesn't look like it's going anywhere. All the same, I have to say: ELLEN PAGE AS Y.T. PLZ

I've seen a lot of other casting suggestions, but none that I was really taken with, especially for Hiro.

So, we're left with a 'Diamond Age' miniseries written by Stephenson (promising) and a D. B. Weiss script for Pattern Recognition.

Who should play Cayce? I'm kind of stumped. Natalie Portman? nah...

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/01/17/george-r-r-martin-novels-to-become-hbo-series/
Say old man, can you play the fiddle?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi

Neuromancer is actually, really, in production now, with a director attached and all.

Honestly I'd rather see an epic multi-film adaptation of The Baroque Cycle than Snow Crash.

And really, I think Mona Lisa Overdrive would make a far better film than Neuromancer.  It's just such a more mature and better story.

All that said, the best thing would be a film version of All Tomorrow's Parties.  The novel is actually "short" enough (in terms of events) that you actually could translate pretty much the entire thing into one movie easily, and I think that it is generally his best novel.

Don't get me started on how much Spook Country was a disappointment.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!

With a director attached and all...

No. Noooooooooooo. And to think, Chris Cunningham was going to do it...

I'm interested in how the matrix gets portrayed - will they attempt to make it up as the Internet (or the projected future thereof), or be faithful to the imagined "cyberspace" of the book?

(Oh, and I think the referenced attempt at a film Pattern Recognition has been officially canned - I can't remember quite where I saw that, but I believe it's from Gibson himself. A shame.)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

Pattern Recognition is still on, just without Peter Weir's involvement (and yeah, it was on Gibson's blog that he said that).

costacide

Who'se the director attached to Neuromancer?  I saw Gibson speak a few months ago and he confirmed that something was definitely happening, but I'm lazy about research so haven't heard much else since then.

Incidentally, the night after seeing him speak I watched New Rose Hotel on IFC.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

Neuromancer is being directed by a guy who has done a lot of music videos and a crappy movie:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kahn

You'll notice, however, that "Knights of Cydonia" is his work, which probably makes up for everything else on that list.

I love New Rose Hotel.  Walken is so awesome in it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/

Between Blade Runner, Ghost in the Shell, The Matrix, The Lawnmower Man and Armitage III we have at least two full adaptations of Neuromancer already.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

I just noticed that in that article it claims Neuromancer has a $70 million dollar budget.

They are going to lose a whole lot of money, unless they butcher the source material, because I don't think there's a lot in the novel that would make for blockbuster material.

Also, if they remain very true to the source, it will be funny to hear people talk about how it's a blatant rip-off of The Matrix.

costacide

More than likely the Village Voice or whatever will decry it as inferior to The Matrix because of "trying too hard to prove it was here first" or some bullshit like that.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

I just hope they keep the black Rasta tugboat-ship driver from Zion in the film, just so I can point out to people that even small details of Neuromancer were directly appropriated into other works.

Who will play Molly Millions?  It would be kind of funny if they got the little girl from Firefly, since damn, she can choreograph-fight like a champ.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC

I am trying to picture Pattern Recognition as a film and some parts work brilliantly but the concept as a whole seems like it might be unexciting on the silver screen. I wonder what the treatment looks like...

EDIT: Ha, a lot of Kahn's videos are crap but a good number are quite enjoyable.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2007, 09:58 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

costacide

I predict Jessica Alba is cast as Molly...most of the internet goes "William Gibson?  Who'se that?"

I end up alternating between jerking off and crying in a puddle of liquid speed and urine on the floor.

The movie grosses $120 million its first weekend.

And once again, God is proven to be dead.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.

I think we should look at the writer's who will be adapting it. Obviously the strike is going to have an impact on who they choose, depending on how antsy they are to get this up and running.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi

I'll probably be set on fire for this, since most people seem to hate her, but I could see Ali Larter as a good Molly Millions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up