THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 02:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reading QC out of habit?  (Read 6541 times)

AndToBeLoved

• Not quite a lurker
    • Webcomic Underdogs
Reading QC out of habit?
« on: 28 Jul 2013, 22:37 »

I keep hearing people say that they read QC more out of habit/dedication than entertainment or enjoyment reasons. This is really intriguing to me – do any of you follow QC simply for loyalty/habitual reasons? If so, what keeps you coming back besides loyalty? Guilt, maybe? Support for the creator? Fear that you'll miss something good? I'm planning on writing a blog about situations like this, and would love to get your take on things.

(It seems that Ctrl+Alt+Del also suffers from this syndrome, as well).
Check out Webcomic Underdogs, the best friend to the indie creator. Get your comic spotlighted for review, free promotion, fan art, and more!

http://webcomicunderdogs.com/

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
Re: Reading QC out of habit?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2013, 22:49 »

*shrugs* IDK, I enjoy the story.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2013, 22:54 »

I keep reading because I like the story lines, and I enjoy the characters. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

AndToBeLoved

• Not quite a lurker
    • Webcomic Underdogs
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2013, 23:33 »

I think I'll rephrase the question - if you're a person who strictly reads QC out of habit and not necessarily entertainment or enjoyment, what's making you come back for more? 
Check out Webcomic Underdogs, the best friend to the indie creator. Get your comic spotlighted for review, free promotion, fan art, and more!

http://webcomicunderdogs.com/

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2013, 00:02 »

I enjoy the storylines.

It's the same with all the Webcomics I read Online these days.  If I didn't enjoy it or find it interesting I wouldn't bother with it.id
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jul 2013, 03:19 »

I think I'll rephrase the question - if you're a person who strictly reads QC out of habit and not necessarily entertainment or enjoyment, what's making you come back for more? 
Asking people who read QC out of habit why they're reading QC is only going to get you the same answer. What's making me come back? Habit. Reading QC is so habitual for me that I don't even consider not reading it.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jul 2013, 03:25 »

It is habit forming, I must admit. 

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #7 on: 29 Jul 2013, 11:12 »

Unlike writing Lord of the Rings fanfic, which is hobbit-forming.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #8 on: 29 Jul 2013, 11:37 »

I read it because it's just a thing that I do. It's one of the things I check. And sometimes it makes me laugh. I am no longer *invested* like I was when Marten first kissed Dora, but I'm now more invested in the forum and so I kinda check the comic just because.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2013, 12:41 »

:mrgreen:

I read QC because it's a genuinely interesting story and I'm doing an "archive binge" for the first time, it's interesting to see what's happened. I also laughed when Jeph would do a newspost saying "Me and Heather are going to go watch Return of the King tonight", and I realised he was posting from 2003. If people have been reading it for 10 years, it must be habit. I've probably been reading it for about 4 years, although I can't really remember.

The less said about Ctrl Alt Del the better.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2013, 13:31 »

I started reading QC when I was in the middle of an incredibly bad depressed time in my life. And reading it from the start helped me through that time (I think it was around when Faye and Marten had The Talk, maybe a little afterward).

Honestly, QC is one of the few comics I still heartily enjoy (a lot of other comics have gone down the crapper in terms of quality or storyline). 99% of the time, it gets a smile from me and a few laughs.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 29 Jul 2013, 13:55 »

:mrgreen:

I read QC because it's a genuinely interesting story and I'm doing an "archive binge" for the first time, it's interesting to see what's happened. I also laughed when Jeph would do a newspost saying "Me and Heather are going to go watch Return of the King tonight", and I realised he was posting from 2003. If people have been reading it for 10 years, it must be habit. I've probably been reading it for about 4 years, although I can't really remember.

The less said about Ctrl Alt Del the better.

Is there a place to look up the comic posted on any particular date ? 

Lupercal

• Bling blang blong blung
  • In conception since 1991
« Reply #12 on: 01 Aug 2013, 14:24 »

I'm not so sure, myself; people seem to have an amazing recall when it comes to comics. "Remember #439, this thing happened!" (actually #439 is quite good). I was just reading one of the long blogs Jeph used to leave when he was still working his day job and doing 3 comics a week (the LOTR reference is within the first 200 comics or so).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #13 on: 01 Aug 2013, 17:18 »

Back when I had more energy, I had a Strip-by-strip list that I posted over on Scribd and (occasionally) updated on the Wiki.

I haven't had the time nor energy to update them since... (looks) Yeesh, May?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #14 on: 10 Aug 2013, 13:49 »

The closest I come is brief and rare dry spells when the humor or the story isn't working for me. It always changes, though, so what keeps me going through those is knowing that something I enjoy will be there soon.

There are other comics that I read on the same principle that a dog works under when it checks the place where a piece of meat fell a year ago. Those usually get dropped after a while.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #15 on: 10 Aug 2013, 16:11 »

I still follow QC because I like it still.

Unfortuantely, I think I'm going to have to put Schlock Mercenary down for a bit. I've been following it for years and years, but it's getting to the point where I'm keeping up with it but don't *really* have a clear image in my head of what's going on in it any more, in the wider sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up