No
- 75 (29.6%)
Who?
- 9 (3.6%)
Jeph hates fat people.
- 56 (22.1%)

Total Members Voted: 110

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Do you see Marten and Dora's relationship lasting?  (Read 93682 times)

Naoko

Edit:  Department of Gender Studies:  I think we have to ultimately admit men and women don't think and feel alike. I've always been all for equality, but sometimes Truth trumps our most fervent wishes. Just another case in point:
Male: "Dora just bitched about Marten having girlfriends ten years ago on the other side of the fucking continent. Insecurity is one thing, this is fucking possession."
Female: "u've got to admit, it would be really awkward for a minute after hearing that your boyfriend still has some feelings for a girl he dated before. Who wants their boyfriend to be thinking about past loves? It's not something to fight over, but it IS something that might give a girl a sad feeling in her heart for a few seconds."

I wouldn't have made my post and case if the men in the relationships I know of broke up with their girlfriends when their girlfriends had insecurities. The guy in the relationship understands the insecurity, and most of them try to help the girl get over it. I've seen it cause small fights, but all relationships have small fights. It's normal. My post wasn't just about how the female feels about it - if the guy left the girl for being insecure at times, then I wouldn't have any case at all. Besides, the guys I know get insecure at times, too. That kind of breaks the whole male/female perspective thing. Looking in, one might think, "OH MY GOD insecurities they're going to break up," but in a real-life relationship, it just doesn't usually work like that, unless the insecurities are getting out of hand.

Still, a story and real-life are two different things. If Jeph allows them to have short fights and small insecurities, and yet doesn't make them break up over it, it's pretty realistic. If they do break up, then there are 3 possibilities: they're not realistic characters, they're not very good at holding relationships together and compromising, or maybe Dora will have gotten worse by that time. Dora's instances don't seem out-of-hand to me, they seem pretty normal for that stage of relationship.

Like I said, I'm going off of relationships I see around me, including my own. (Well, I'm long distance, so I guess I have a better reason to be temporarily insecure. I won't be much at all once I move in with him in a few months, but that's an entirely different story.) EVERYONE fights a little bit. It's totally natural. If they were married, it would be a little odd for Dora to be acting like this - but they're not married, they're in the "I like you - I love you - I want to be with you" sort of stage. Fighting and insecurities are COMMON in relationships like that. I've seen this in practically every long-term successful relationship around me - people have insecurities and people fight. It's NATURAL.

If Dora gets worse or more often, that might pose a problem. But I've only seen a few instances every so often, and in real life, that's kind of normal.

I hope I'm getting my point across well. Geh. Sorry, people. Maybe I'm just ranting and not making much sense. I hope I am.

tomart

• Curry sauce
  • tactile telemetry nexus

Just to be clear, I totally agree with you;  I've been on both sides of that insecurities thing.  It is natural, in that stage.
I was using your words to make a totally different point - that men and women still, in this day and age of supposed enlightenment, don't feel and think alike, and this still leads to misunderstandings.
Irresponsible Adult GOM

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor
  • Rock 'n Roll is cool, Daddy, and you know it!

Supposed enlightenment. Hah!

I say this after enduring a month or so of my knuckle-draggin' relatives' (of both sexes, mind) opinions of, well, you can guess, and I don't want to start talking about that:

• Wemmins cain't think without them emotions gettin' in th' way
  • Men ______s (fill it in) won't respect a woman
  • Wemmins 'is too jealous-like (petty)
  • Menses 're more level-headed (does this mean our skulls are flatter on top?)

I could go on, but me stomach is protesting,

To paraphrase a certain comedy show that I don't particularly like, sometimes I think we are so far from Supposed Enlightenment that the light from Supposed Enlightenment will take 100 years to reach us.

For the record, it seems to me that individuals have a hard enough time communicating, particularly when the subjects are repressed fears or insecurities to account for most misunderstandings, without sticking anything else in. Attributing misunderstandings to gender is very often either labeling culturally supported, imposed, and indoctrinated stereotypes as 'gender' differences, or just our propensity to try to impose a pleasing sort of order on observed phenomena. The Men/Mars Women/Venus thing, for example, is bullshit, but it's fun bullshit.

Also: So you see, Dr. Tomart, there is nothing you can post that I will not reply to.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2008, 10:13 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

Many apologies if I offended with that last post. Thing is, if I say it to the folks whom I'd like to hear it, I'll get tarred and feathered. Virtual tarring and feathering sounds less painful and fatal. So slap it on, if you feel like it.

Also, I fervently hope now that when I next follow-up to one of Tomart's posts, my head doesn't explode.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2008, 10:20 by raoullefere »
GOM (Grumpy Old Men): Complaining about attire, trespassing, loud music, and general cheerfulness since before you were born, Missy.

Doug S. Machina

• Pneumatic ratchet pants

[Uh, Spider-man kind of sold his marriage to Satan. Seriously, probably not the best comparison, there.

Sorry to bring down the tone (which I'm findng intelligent and insightful), but what? Was that a weird storyline?
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

tomart

• Curry sauce

My bad; I probly shouldn't expound on the touchy subject of sexual politics. I don't want anyone's head to explode on my account. Especially anyone intelligent and insightful.

On topic:  Yes, I think it will last.   |o_O/   They're both good people, good for each other, and the relationship keeps a Faye-tension going...
Irresponsible Adult GOM

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

I read about the Spiderman-Mephisto thing. My guess is it finally occurred to the Marble goons after their silly stunt  had run it's course that unmasked Spidey = short-lived Spidey. So they pulled a Deus ex Machina to save their cash-cow. Only it was a Diabla ex machina. Is that better, somehow?

There would be a QC plot twist. The devil, or maybe Trent Reznor, offers to make Marten Dora's forever. But she has to listen to Shania Twain music exclusively, or the deal's off.

Doug S. Machina

I read about the Spiderman-Mephisto thing. My guess is it finally occurred to the Marble goons after their silly stunt  had run it's course that unmasked Spidey = short-lived Spidey. So they pulled a Deus ex Machina to save their cash-cow. Only it was a Diabla ex machina. Is that better, somehow?

There would be a QC plot twist. The devil, or maybe Trent Reznor, offers to make Marten Dora's forever. But she has to listen to Shania Twain music exclusively, or the deal's off.

God, what a hideous fate. I'd rather just take my chances. I did wonder when I heard about the unmasking in Civil War. Spiderman making a deal with the devil does sound...odd. Did he have to lose Mary-Jane?

No, the plot twist will be a shattering blow to the QC world: Dora will die in a slightly suspicious manner. Faye will be accused of murdering her love rival. Marten, Hannelore and Sven will fight to clear her name.
« Last Edit: 08 Feb 2008, 16:00 by Doug S. Machina »
Man, if I was the sort of person who quoted things like that in my signature, I'd quote that it my signature.

DrizztLink

• Plantmonster

It's complicated, and it in the actual Spider-man continuity.

http://www.i-mockery.com/comics/longbox22/default.php

That's the whole thing, with it getting taunted and whatnot.

To put it in basic terms, Aunt May got shot by a bullet meant for Spidey. Spidey felt all sad about it, and tried to find a way to help her. He found none. Mephisto, who is Marvel's version of Satan essentially, shows up to help him. He will save May's life in exchange for his marriage.

Spidey and Jane talk it over, and they agree. May is saved, Spider-man never married Mary Jane, all those fancy upgrades he got in "The Other" are gone, and nobody remembers Spider-man's identity anymore. As in, they seriously just forgot who the hell he was. He still un-masked during Civil War, but nobody remembers who was under the mask. Nobody questions this.

It's basically the worst storyline since The Clone Saga.
Some metal-head.

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.

Marvel just killed a bit of my childhood.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Clobbersaurus

• Emoticontraindication
  • homosex

Edit:  Department of Gender Studies:  I think we have to ultimately admit men and women don't think and feel alike. I've always been all for equality, but sometimes Truth trumps our most fervent wishes. Just another case in point:
Male: "Dora just bitched about Marten having girlfriends ten years ago on the other side of the fucking continent. Insecurity is one thing, this is fucking possession."
Female: "u've got to admit, it would be really awkward for a minute after hearing that your boyfriend still has some feelings for a girl he dated before. Who wants their boyfriend to be thinking about past loves? It's not something to fight over, but it IS something that might give a girl a sad feeling in her heart for a few seconds."

I wouldn't have made my post and case if the men in the relationships I know of broke up with their girlfriends when their girlfriends had insecurities. The guy in the relationship understands the insecurity, and most of them try to help the girl get over it. I've seen it cause small fights, but all relationships have small fights. It's normal. My post wasn't just about how the female feels about it - if the guy left the girl for being insecure at times, then I wouldn't have any case at all. Besides, the guys I know get insecure at times, too. That kind of breaks the whole male/female perspective thing. Looking in, one might think, "OH MY GOD insecurities they're going to break up," but in a real-life relationship, it just doesn't usually work like that, unless the insecurities are getting out of hand.

Still, a story and real-life are two different things. If Jeph allows them to have short fights and small insecurities, and yet doesn't make them break up over it, it's pretty realistic. If they do break up, then there are 3 possibilities: they're not realistic characters, they're not very good at holding relationships together and compromising, or maybe Dora will have gotten worse by that time. Dora's instances don't seem out-of-hand to me, they seem pretty normal for that stage of relationship.

Like I said, I'm going off of relationships I see around me, including my own. (Well, I'm long distance, so I guess I have a better reason to be temporarily insecure. I won't be much at all once I move in with him in a few months, but that's an entirely different story.) EVERYONE fights a little bit. It's totally natural. If they were married, it would be a little odd for Dora to be acting like this - but they're not married, they're in the "I like you - I love you - I want to be with you" sort of stage. Fighting and insecurities are COMMON in relationships like that. I've seen this in practically every long-term successful relationship around me - people have insecurities and people fight. It's NATURAL.

If Dora gets worse or more often, that might pose a problem. But I've only seen a few instances every so often, and in real life, that's kind of normal.

I hope I'm getting my point across well. Geh. Sorry, people. Maybe I'm just ranting and not making much sense. I hope I am.
you make total sense.

a couple that doesn't have little arguments and fights over insecurities is a couple doomed to fail. part of developing trust is allowing yourself to be vulnerable and allowing your partner to be vulnerable. without doing that, how would anyone know what their partner's limits are? how would anyone be able to HELP their partner strengthen without knowing about where they squeak and crack?

of course, marten and dora's conflict was waaaayyyyy too perfect. i wish all my arguments could fit in 4-5 panels  :laugh:
male elephant seals are really ugly.

Rocketman

• A little bitter.

nobody remembers Spider-man's identity anymore.

I'm really wondering about Venom in that case. "Huh, I was bonded to someone for a year...it was how I got to Earth in the first place....damn, who was it?"

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

Rocketman, you're assuming they're, like, thinking at Marble. That nonproductive behavior hasn't gone on since Jim Shooter left. Why're you and I reading QC and not drooling over our latest copy of Whoever that is, The Amazing Spiderman. Cuz Jeph does think.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he often thinks, "Man, these people in the forums need lives. I mean, lookit this whacko who's counting character appearance."
« Last Edit: 09 Feb 2008, 00:33 by raoullefere »

Doug S. Machina

Rocketman, you're assuming they're, like, thinking at Marble. That nonproductive behavior hasn't gone on since Jim Shooter left. Why're you and I reading QC and not drooling over our latest copy of Whoever that is, The Amazing Spiderman. Cuz Jeph does think.

In fact, I'm pretty sure he often thinks, "Man, these people in the forums need lives. I mean, lookit this whacko who's counting character appearance."

"And the one writing a metatextual crisis for a character who was only in eight strips? Why do we let these people in?"

Apple Pie

• Plantmonster
  • Chicks flashing PCI slots doesn't do much for me.

"And the one writing a metatextual crisis for a character who was only in eight strips? Why do we let these people in?"

I'm sure Jeph, like the rest of us, realises that the best kind of love is that obsessive, compulsive stalkerish love that only QC readers know so well. Well...QC lovers and stalkers. But let's stick with the QC lovers for now.
"Did your Man Jesus ever have a wife?"
"No, but his girlfriend was a whore."
"Well...that's a start."

tomart

• Curry sauce

Yeah, I sometimes speculate on Jeph's thoughts...     (Magic Trolley goes past)

"Some of these forumites need lives. But I'm glad that guy's counting character appearances, so I don't have to. As soon as he's done, I'll take an obscure, minor character  that isn't even on the cast page, like Beatrice Chatham, ha!  and make her queen for awhile..."
"Hmm, I now realize the best kind of love is that OCD kind."
"And the best kind of crisis is that metatextual kind..."
"Cristi, tell me again, why do we let these people in?"
Irresponsible Adult GOM

Rocketman

• A little bitter.

Yeah, I sometimes speculate on Jeph's thoughts...     (Magic Trolley goes past)

"Some of these forumites need lives. But I'm glad that guy's counting character appearances, so I don't have to. As soon as he's done, I'll take an obscure, minor character  that isn't even on the cast page, like Beatrice Chatham, ha!  and make her queen for awhile..."
"Hmm, I now realize the best kind of love is that OCD kind."
"And the best kind of crisis is that metatextual kind..."
"Cristi, tell me again, why do we let these people in?"

"Cristi! They're surrounding the house again! Get the rifle!"

Doug S. Machina

"Cristi! They're surrounding the house again! Get the rifle!"

"I told you putting stuff on the internet would only lead to this! Aim for the head! They're only internet types, it's not like they're real people!"

Rocketman

• A little bitter.

I read Ultimate Spider-Man, does that count?  :-P

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

Dunno. Do you salivate as you read it?

Rocketman

• A little bitter.

Dunno. Do you salivate as you read it?

Depends if Black Cat is in that issue.

BoisterousFanboy

I don't see them lasting which is not to say they won't last for a long time I just don't see them staying together and getting married, etc.

Their relationship wasn't born out of the most ideal of circumstances and there's still unresolved emotional issues between Faye and Marty. Of course he still has some residual feelings for Faye, you can't just switch them off because you got shot down.

Although someone mentioned it earlier, it would seriously mess with the dynamic of the characters because their lives revolve around each other so much. They would have to have a fairly decent, amicable breakup that allowed them to be friends or at least tolerate each other well enough. Which would mean no cheating took place or anything of a highly volatile nature.. unless Faye's gonna get a new job and Dora becames a seriously minor character.

I think they'll be together a while but somethin' will happen to stir it up.

Scruffy

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • The Janitor

With the current relevations, it's possible that they will stick together with Faye, potentially being off the market.

frullic

• Furry furrier
  • Warning: Contents under parental pressure.
    • An Adventurer is Me!

you make total sense.

a couple that doesn't have little arguments and fights over insecurities is a couple doomed to fail. part of developing trust is allowing yourself to be vulnerable and allowing your partner to be vulnerable. without doing that, how would anyone know what their partner's limits are? how would anyone be able to HELP their partner strengthen without knowing about where they squeak and crack?

of course, marten and dora's conflict was waaaayyyyy too perfect. i wish all my arguments could fit in 4-5 panels  :laugh:

Right you are but remember: It's a webcomic. It's part of the Internet. All that is internet works under a few rules. One of which is:

If it is too good to be true, then it is too good to be true.

Also there is another fact to ponder: nowadays there are no more couples that last a lifetime. I think a couple is lucky if they get past a year.

So I guess we should wait and see.
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Manix

• Balloon animal serial killer

This may sound like me starting a fight, but I assure you it's not.

I can't help but wonder how many people here really don't see Marten/Dora lasting, and how many people are really just still pining over Marty/Faye, and expressing what they hope will ha[ppen in the hope of mentally convincing Jeph to go that route.

As for the Spiderman thing above.

I knew I made the right choice when I stopped reading most major american comics. Jeeze! I knew that Quesade hated the fact that Peter actually grew up and got married, but this...what the hell is this!?

This is almost up there with DC's caving to H.E.A.T.'s demands in terms of bad/stupid decisions.

Doug S. Machina

I think there's still people who stay together for years. It's probably wrong to think "Well that's Marten and Dora sorted forever" but they seem stable. Even the potential drama to come may not rock them too much. It probably will to a some interesting degree, though.

Re: Spiderman, I read the I-Mockery piece. I'm not even that much into comics and I think it was bad to the power of awful. Explains reations like this.
On the other hand, I discovered I-Mockery.

dozyrozy

• Emoticontraindication

Also there is another fact to ponder: nowadays there are no more couples that last a lifetime. I think a couple is lucky if they get past a year.

'No' couples last a lifetime? Are you really that pessimistic? That's just not true. Not every marriage ends in divorce, our society hasn't got that rubbish at commitment just yet.

And to the question...

I think that Dora and Marten will stay together for a while, although things might get a bit rocky. I reckon Marten will get a bit mopey about the fact that Sven and Faye are together when/if they find out, but he'll want to stay with Dora. And even if Dora tries to break up with his so that he can have the choice I think he'll stay with her because he said he would, and I believe Marten (unlike most people... strange that. I have more faith in a cartoon character than a human...).
I think I'll take a nap now...

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!

Don't blame the high school smartass for saying what he sees.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

Some of these posts have me thinking of the lyrics for "The Things We Do for Love" http://www.lyricsdomain.com/27/10cc/the_things_we_do_for_love.html, but I think they're essentially correct, with one caveat: Dora and Marten, if they can survive this latest bit of drama, will last. It's going to test some basic problems of both: Marten's ability to get past any natural resentment he's going to feel (and, by extension, did Marten really 'settle' for Dora? I don't think so; I think he'd have thrown Faye over for Dora eventually. But whadda I know?) and Dora's getting past her massive insecurities (any girl who freaks about her boyfriend's new haircut like Dora did, she has them).

JoeMoron2000

I think not.  Dora's crazy about him, but she's also crazy in general.  She freaks out too easily, and while she lets Marten draw on her back, I think that she's still going to accidentally find another reason to get hysterical.
Especially with this new development.  I predict that Marten will try to comfort Faye, and Dora's going to go nuts (both at Sven for sleeping with Faye, and Marten for trying really hard to make antoher girl feel a lot better about herself).  If it manages to last through this, though, then my god, Dora's got the willpower of a saint.

cwoolard

And even if Dora tries to break up with him so that he can have the choice...

Dora'd do that? The girl who jumped him two days after he was "pre-dumped" by Faye?
I don't see it. She wants Marten, she *has* Marten, and with her insecurities, any hint of Marten/Faye right now is just gonna make her hold on tighter.

Which could itself lead to a break-up.

Y'know, when Dora finds out--once she's convinced that Sven's not being sleazy about it--her biggest disappointment is going to be this:
No possibility of any *Faye/Dora* action. She likes girls, too. Especially *this* girl, if I don't miss my guess. Nice friendly Dora/Marten/Faye three-way shot down.

Not sure if Jeph would want to write on-screen poly anyway...

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

Ah, but you forget, cwoolard, that Dora is often 'too nice for her own good." I can see her bowing out, especially if she thought it would make Marten happy.

Blackcat Moebius

• Plantmonster
  • No mushrooms.

Y'know, when Dora finds out--once she's convinced that Sven's not being sleazy about it--her biggest disappointment is going to be this:
No possibility of any *Faye/Dora* action. She likes girls, too. Especially *this* girl, if I don't miss my guess.

That was my thought as well.  I'm wondering if it's happened before - Dora pissed because Sven 'got' a girl that Dora wanted.  It would help explain Sven's "oh shit, she really WOULD kill me" comment.

JoeMoron2000

I can't help but wonder how many people here really don't see Marten/Dora lasting, and how many people are really just still pining over Marty/Faye, and expressing what they hope will ha[ppen in the hope of mentally convincing Jeph to go that route.
I sorta fit the bill for both.  I really want Marten/Faye (again, how would one shorten that?  Maye?  Farten?  Fayten?) to come to fruition at last, but I honestly think that Marten will try to comfort Faye to the point that Dora goes berserk and does something everybody's going to regret.

raoullefere

• Duck attack survivor

Do not shorten!

:-oCouple Portmanteau = DO NOT WANT! :-o

JoeMoron2000

:-o
*Runs screaming from the forum*

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!

crawls in a corner in fetal position, mumbling insanely...

Doug S. Machina

Harsh but fair, raoullefere. We must hold back the madness from the WCT. :laugh:

desultory

Ah, but you forget, cwoolard, that Dora is often 'too nice for her own good." I can see her bowing out, especially if she thought it would make Marten happy.

My thoughts exactly.
I could see Dora breaking up for Marten, and what I think or hope will happen, is that Faye and Marten still won't get together, and Dora will realize Marten actually likes her and isn't just settling.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

You know what?  I don't see it working out because Dora is apparently 99% crazy.  By volume.

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*

Come to think of it, is there any lady in the cast who ISN'T nuts? Maybe Raven, but she's an idiot. Or a sociopathic mastermind, but then that goes back to the first point. :-P
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

Boom

the bigger question should be, how long till pintsize gets a girl

Blackcat Moebius

• Plantmonster
  • No mushrooms.

In light of recent strips, anyone want to change their poll answer?

Norton Quintessential

• Curry sauce
  • *Learning to look chastened*

^Boom: Or another pink boy robot.
"Nobody needs America's help.....

until they NEED IT!"

frullic

• Furry furrier
    • An Adventurer is Me!

I say few days left to their couple!

mango lassi

• Not quite a lurker

Well I don't see Marten/Dora lasting, but it's more due to my dislike of Dora than any hopes of Marten/Faye.  I'm not sure if that's better or worse reasoning...

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

You know, I wonder how long it's going to take Penelope to get fired after she complains that Dora's not helping her "not all girls are crazy" thesis.

Doug S. Machina

Come to think of it, is there any lady in the cast who ISN'T nuts? Maybe Raven, but she's an idiot. Or a sociopathic mastermind, but then that goes back to the first point. :-P

Dora's mother for a start. Meena seems okay. Despite, er, some bad decisions in the past.

Surgoshan

• Duck attack survivor

Penelope seems reasonably stable.

For a girl.

:flee:

jatoskep

I love Marten and Dora together. I really hope Jeph doesn't take them apart.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up