THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 22:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Questions about DS games  (Read 4807 times)

Ally

Questions about DS games
« on: 18 Dec 2007, 18:41 »

I have a sweet Amazon gift certificate and I thought that I'd get a few DS games (along with some knitting books) because I haven't gotten anything since Phantom Hourglass. So what can you guys tell me about these games?

Chocobo Tales - I've never played any Final Fantasy games, and I'm hesitant to start in the middle of the series, but this looks really cute, and it is a spin-off.
Mario Party - I've always had a soft spot for the Mario Party games. Is it any fun on DS? I'm worried because I don't really have a lot of people to play with.
Metroid Prime Hunters - Did Metroid translate well to the DS?
Cooking Mama 2 - I've heard so many good things about this game but I feel like I'd get bored.

HELP, FRIENDS - advice? I have a few other questions but I'll ask later since ahh I really need to start this paper.

Spinless

Re: Questions about DS games
« Reply #1 on: 18 Dec 2007, 18:56 »

Chocobo Tales: I don't know about this particular game, but all the other chocobo spinoff games were really awful and silly! The target audience is probably 3 year olds!
Mario Party: I imagine it'll be just like the others, but with minigames that are more fun due to the better control system on offer. Also, if you're bored and with a friend, you could probably play on the one cart, I imagine.
Metroid Prime Hunters: It's pretty much the best looking DS game that I've ever played, it translated wonderfully. Less emphasis on puzzles, much shorter, I don't remember ever needing to scan anything, but it's super-fun. Controls brilliantly, and the multiplayer is the best handheld multiplayer I've played outside of Pokemon.
Cooking Mama 2: I have no idea. Is it one of those silly mini-game things? Whatever. Warioware was fun though. The first one. I didn't play the others.

Now I have a question! I am currently loving the shit out of Pokemon Emerald. I'm like 10 hours into it. Diamond/Pearl: Y/N? Why?

Ally

« Reply #2 on: 18 Dec 2007, 19:05 »

Have Pearl, do love.

EDIT: Why did I write Diamond? My Palkia is named Owen.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2007, 21:19 by Ally »

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #3 on: 18 Dec 2007, 19:17 »

I have played Metroid Prime Hunters multiplayer. I was terrible at it but based off that experience I would definitely buy it had I the moneys.
it's time to stop posting

Wayfaring Stranger

• Larger than most fish
  • Bamboo
    • Foxing Quires
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2007, 19:55 »

The first Cooking Mama was a lot of fun.  It was pretty basic and silly, but I enjoyed it.
http://www.foxingquires.com

A webcomic about books, music, romance, culture, and more.

AnthroMV

• Not quite a lurker
  • I love Kirby Avalanche, been playing it for days..
    • My 1up Page
« Reply #5 on: 18 Dec 2007, 20:18 »

I had Chocobo Tales for my Ds and its quite interesting although it has nothing to do with FF. But sadly it was stolen from me... :-(
Mitch'

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #6 on: 18 Dec 2007, 20:22 »

Chocobo Tales: I don't know about this particular game, but all the other chocobo spinoff games were really awful and silly!

Dude Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon was awesome.  It was NETHACK WITH A CHOCOBO.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Spinless

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2007, 06:36 »

I bought Diamond, second hand! It has already has a pre-existing file! I am a female trainer named Emily with pokemon that are high levels. She chose the monkey pokemon in the beginning. She has a nice signature and loves Abra, apparently.
My plan is to trade them all across to a friend's cart, start my own game, catch some pokemon and trade them back! How long do you think that'll take?

Ally

« Reply #8 on: 19 Dec 2007, 15:01 »

It shouldn't take too long, we used to do that on red and blue to get all of the starter pokemon. That's sort of cute, Darryl, like a pokemon love story.

Anyways YOU GUYS AREN'T HELPING, I need some negative feedback or someeethingg - I think Cooking Mama may be off my list? I want a game that I can beat.

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #9 on: 19 Dec 2007, 15:12 »

My friend has Pearl, and I have Diamond.  He hates my Dialga, because it is so much better than his Palkia.  

For trade over time, I had it down to six minutes, but I was starting new games and dumping the starter pokemon onto my friends's card.  I could imagine it taking between 10 minutes to an hour, depending on how many pokemon you want to transfer.  Also, the one of the best moves for Alakazam to have is learned at level 34, so trade a Kadabra over at level 33 or so.

Metroid Prime Hunters - Did Metroid translate well to the DS?

I did not like MPHunters.  It looked prety enough, but I was unsatisfied.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

axerton

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • lets all grow pizza
« Reply #10 on: 19 Dec 2007, 18:59 »

Has anyone played Avatar the last airbender - The burning earth DS? I enjoy the show and it seems like something that would translate well to a game but I am justifiably hesitant about any movie/tv games.
Guys guys I got this condition it is called "Involuntary Lottery Loser" guys don't laugh it is a disorder.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 19 Dec 2007, 20:35 »

no, stay the hell away from any Avatar game

Chocobo Tales - cute and a spin off, but I hear that it isn't as good as any Final Fantasy game
Mario Party - I hear it is what it attempts to be, a Mario Party on the DS.  I myself have lost favor with Mario Party, but you seem to enjoy them.
Metroid Prime Hunters - I have heard that it is essentially Prime-lite, whiel others call it even less.
Cooking Mama 2 - Heard so many good things about it, and that it is fun and easy to do.  warning: will not make you a better cook

may I suggest Animal Crossing: Wild World if you do not already have it.

Ally

« Reply #12 on: 19 Dec 2007, 20:45 »

I have wild world! The thing is, I find games where you can't really win boring after a while, so I put it down and haven't picked it up in ages. I think that I'm going to pick up Mario Party for now (jeesh it is expensive on Amazon) most probably - my birthday is coming up soon. :] I wish that they had made a Katamari game for DS instead of PSP.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #13 on: 19 Dec 2007, 21:02 »

Being that you already have the best game for the DS bar basically none (ie: Phantom Hourglass) whatever you get will probably feel like a step down :(

I am not sure the Chocobo Tales option or the Cooking Mama option are any good.  Also, for me the fun part of the Mario Party series is playing with a bunch of people.  Not so much fun on the DS, probably!

I am not so sure how well the Metroid Prime game would play on such a small screen.  Orcs & Elves looks good, but that is a 1st-person RPG, not an action game, so I am not sure it can compare directly.

Ally

« Reply #14 on: 19 Dec 2007, 21:56 »

I play DS with my friends so Mario Party makes sense! I'm actually sort of disappointed at what I perceive to be a slight lack of good new games coming out for the system.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #15 on: 19 Dec 2007, 22:45 »

Finally people mention Metroid Prime 3.  I was beginning to think you were all insane.

Also: Phoenix Wright.  Damn straight.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Spinless

« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2007, 05:53 »

Prime Hunters *looks* like Prime lite, which isn't a bad thing for a DS game. But it plays a little differently. It's much more about combat than exploration, I felt.
Also: Still the best DS multiplayer.

I traded across Emily's pokemon to a friend's cart. Her legendarys and the ones she caught at low levels and trained up. Then my batteries died. I may go pick them up today, or later in the week. Sure, they won't listen to me. But eventually, they WILL attack in battle, and then I'll win anyway!

I hear Piplup is the best starter to pick for later in the game, but I dig pokemon that look like dinosaurs.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2007, 09:51 »

Puzzle Quest is a good game and it is only $30 new.
Hate, rain on me

Narr

« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2007, 11:43 »

Puzzle Quest is pretty good.  Think Bejeweled, against another player.

Also I have to suggest both Castlevania titles for the DS.  Dawn of Sorrow was pretty killer and Portrait of Ruin is still probably my favorite game on the DS period.  If you want something a little more Zelda-style RPG, Lunar Knights is pretty awesome as well although it's a bit longish for a handheld RPG.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2007, 23:35 »

Puzzle Quest is a good game and it is only $30 new.

my friend has told me that Puzzle Quest is phenomenal, and the press around it seems to agree.  I must say though, the concept confuses me.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:11 »

Here ya go, Ally. hopefully this helps, i found it fairly informative.

edit: fixed url
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2007, 00:22 by est »
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.
Pages: [1]   Go Up