THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: So I Got a Strat Today..  (Read 22563 times)

Coreh

• Obscure cultural reference
So I Got a Strat Today..
« on: 19 Dec 2007, 22:38 »

for free.
It's brand new, and I've been commanded to learn to play it.
I have a guy that'll give me free lessons on my free guitar whenever I need them.
Is this is a sign from the guitar gods?
I'm pretty pumped to try to learn, but I'm wondering if it's insanely hard to learn.
I've heard mixed claims.
Tell me what you think, QC Forums! Especially you guitar playin' fools.
Am I good enough to join your ranks?

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
Re: So I Got a Strat Today..
« Reply #1 on: 19 Dec 2007, 22:42 »

I have no idea, but HOW THE FUCK did you manage to pull that one off? Yes, my freind, this is deffinitely a sign from the rock gods.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #2 on: 19 Dec 2007, 22:55 »

Don't take lessons.  Teach yourself.  You can look up all the major chords online.  (And the minor ones, too.  GET IT!  Ah, guitar humor.  Ha ha.)

Seriously, many of the best guitar players taught themselves.  It frees you from the conventions of how guitar "should" be played and lets you sound unique.

Basically just bang on it until it sounds good.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #3 on: 19 Dec 2007, 23:57 »

Honestly, if you can get lessons for free, you'd be an idiot not to take them. Even if its just to pull you up on sloppy technique and shit you're picking up while teaching yourself. I know a couple of extremely awesome guitarists who taught themselves everything about actually playing the music, but had sort of petered out at a certain point because of the limitations of their technique.

I mean, you probably don't need the lessons if you're going to just bang around on it and maybe join a pretty average band, which is still a fun as way to use a dang old free strat as I can think of, but if you don't have to pay for them, it couldn't hurt. Since I started learning the guitar I found having a teacher is a great way to keep your motivation up when you're feeling a bit worn out by the constant practice and painfully sluggish improvement.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2007, 00:31 »

Thurston Moore never took guitar lessons.

The defense rests, your honor.

(IIRC neither did Hendrix.)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2007, 02:22 »

If we're going to argue guitar types, sell it and get an old cheap guitar and use the extra money on pedals.

I suggest a Danelectro or a Silvertone.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2007, 03:37 »

Don't take lessons.  Teach yourself.  You can look up all the major chords online.  (And the minor ones, too.  GET IT!  Ah, guitar humor.  Ha ha.)

I'm going to call bullshit on this one right off the bat. 99% of self-taught guitarists have godawful form and play like shit.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2007, 03:59 »

Seriously, many of the best guitar players taught themselves.  It frees you from the conventions of how guitar "should" be played and lets you sound unique.

Basically just bang on it until it sounds good.

Hypocrisy. You're claiming that there's no wrong way to play a guitar, but then you're saying that the academic way is wrong.

Take lessons from someone who isn't anal, but who will point out the most effective technique. There's absolutely no disadvantage to having brilliant technique, despite what fans of blues and classic rock might tell you.

Many of the best guitar players are extremely learned and technical, for instance. The likes of Satch, Steve Vai, John Petrucci, Andre Segovia, ect.
All very technical and proficient. But what zerodrone said is correct, too. You don't have to be perfect to be awesome, but in the end the decision is up to you. I reccomend learning these things:

- Scales and modes
- Chord theory
- Notes of the fretboard
- Something other than "Smoke On The Water" as your first song

Techniques to keep in mind are:

- Alternate, economy and sweep picking
- Tremolo picking
- Legato
- Bending
- Tapping
- Playing harmonics

None of those in any particular order.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #8 on: 20 Dec 2007, 05:08 »

Yeah.  You're pretty limited as to what you can do when you teach yourself.  Like me.  I've been playing for nearly two years, and I am only okay.  I'm thinking I should look into lessons myself, to improve my picking technique, and learn new ones.  I could also use help with modes and scales.

If they're free, totally go for them, man.  Also, what kind of Strat is it?  Fender or Squire?

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 20 Dec 2007, 05:12 »

Cory, you're one of us now.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #10 on: 20 Dec 2007, 05:21 »

I'm not saying the academic way is "wrong".  But I have found that if you have a talent for music, and an ear for it, you can figure out the "academic" things like scales very easily, and you won't feel limited to the strict guidelines that traditional guitar teachers will lay down for you.

If you guys needed lessons to get good, well, okay.  I was just giving advice on my personal experience which was that without taking lessons I learned very fast and within a year of playing I was doing things that had very technically grounded guitar players saying "Wow, that's pretty neat, I would never think to play like that."

This is all anecdotal evidence, I'm just suggesting that listening closely to music and experimenting may produce more interesting results than learning in an academic fashion.

If you can't figure out things like note theory and scales on your own pretty quickly, then I honestly would say that the guitar might not be for you, unless you only plan to play it as a hobby.  If you plan to be a musician and dedicate your heart and soul to it as I have, then I think it helps to pave your own way.

YMMV and other standard disclaimers because apparently I can't say a damn thing on this board without being construed as some kind of raving lunatic.   :roll:

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #11 on: 20 Dec 2007, 06:06 »

Zerodrone you get construed as a "raving lunatic" because a lot of the things you say some off as being egotistical and overly reductive.

Personally, I'm entirely self-taught. But I'm not gonna be all "oh you don't NEED lessons" or whatever. At the very least it can be helpful to have someone show you the proper way to hold the guitar, your pick, your hand positions, that sort of basic stuff. Better to have someone show you the basics early than get carpal tunnel or tennis elbow ten years down the line.

Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #12 on: 20 Dec 2007, 06:38 »

Zerodrone you get construed as a "raving lunatic" because a lot of the things you say some off as being egotistical and overly reductive.

Right, and nobody else on here posts like that ever.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #13 on: 20 Dec 2007, 08:09 »

If you're also unfamiliar with basic music theory it can't hurt to have someone help you figure that out. Just set out the guidelines for what you want to learn.

P.S. I highly, highly suggest learning the notes on the neck if you're going to be playing with people, at least on the E and A strings. Learn them after you've learned the fun stuff, like power chords and stuff, but definitely learn them. My other guitarist doesn't know them and working with him is occasionally really challenging. He's mostly started picking them up from playing with me.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #14 on: 20 Dec 2007, 09:10 »

There is no reason not to take lessons in the beginning. The key is to take what you learn and use that as the building blocks for exploring how to make music, as opposed to some people who rely upon what they learned like a crutch.  Think about it, you can either pick up some of this information on your own as you go (key, chord structure, rhythm, strumming technique, etc) or have someone give you this information up front.  Failing to have a clue about where to start is what keeps so many guitars in people's closets unplayed.  That said, these things are helpful-

Proper left hand and right hand technique- Learn how to hold a pick, and how to use your left hand.  Do string exercises, it helps.

Learn the notes on the neck - Figuring out what key a song is in is just plain valuable.

Learn some chords - Just the basics, and then start experimenting around with different chord structures.

Tempo/Timing - spend some time playing to a metronome.  There is nothing more annoying than a guitar player with no sense of rhythm.  Believe me, there are TONS of them out there, and they're all useless in a band structure.

Learn different styles-  This one is touchy for a lot of people.  Years and years ago, when I wanted to learn how to play, I went to my bass teacher to learn how to play like this once popular band called "Metallica".  He hated said band, and instead insisted if I learned how to play jazz, blues, rock, reggae, bossa, folk, metal, etc. I would be a far better player for it.  He was right. 

Finally, outside of lessons find people to play with who are better than you, no matter what style they play, and jam with them.  I learned most of what I know about writing and coming up with stuff by playing with people who smoked me and watching their technique and listening to their ideas. 

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #15 on: 20 Dec 2007, 09:35 »

If you don't become a REALLY-FREAKING-AWESOME guitar player I will be really disapointed after this gift from the Gods of Rock.
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #16 on: 20 Dec 2007, 09:56 »

I hate Strats.

However, for getting a free one, I also hate you.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #17 on: 20 Dec 2007, 11:47 »

take him up on the offer! lessons are not the be-all and end-all of learning to play, but the kind of direction they can provide is invaluable.

additionally, do not invest in pedals until well after you feel like you're overdue.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #18 on: 20 Dec 2007, 12:05 »

Man, what is the deal with all the Strat hating?  Seriously, sure a Gibson would rock most people's socks off, but why couldn't a Strat?  Also, free guitars are awesome, no matter what they are.  Unless it's a Harmony Rocket, man, those things suck.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #19 on: 20 Dec 2007, 13:45 »

Right, and nobody else on here posts like that ever.

:roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Dude all I am saying is maybe the problem isn't us, it's you. At least when other posters go off on an ego trip it's self-aware and/or funny (myself excluded, but then again it's my website and I am a pretty pretty princess so I get to behave as I please). Certainly nobody else complains when they get called on it.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #20 on: 20 Dec 2007, 13:52 »

Perhaps I am self-aware and not as serious as you think and people shouldn't automatically jump to the extreme conclusion before hitting the Post button.

imapiratearg

« Reply #21 on: 20 Dec 2007, 13:59 »

I'm also going to point out that not all guitar teachers are pretentious douche bags, and if you can find a really cool one he or she might also teach you their own personal style or give you pointers on how to conceive your own, personal method.

BaneAtvar

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #22 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:19 »

I call lessons a "boost" at most.

All the stuff I learned in lessons I could have learned by myself.

It's like learning how to drive.

12 hours later you say "Oh, so THAT's the clutch!"

Or... you could have an instructor in 5 minutes say: "So, that's the clutch."

Of course, I myself can see from a mile away when someone is entirely self taught (usually followed by "what the crap is he doing?") or entirely lesson-based (usually followed by "Oh, right, alternate picking on Phrygian. That's original. Gimme a sweep pickin' now. There we go.")

What I mean by these insane drunken stupor derived affirmations is:

1 - Self teaching is a good thing, but by the lords, have someone show you the basics if you don't already know, and at least have the decency of listening to other guitarrists and say "this guy knows his business I should do as he does on this occasion or this one". Don't go thinking you can do music as you want. You can, that's a fact. No one will want to listen to you though.

2 - Lessons is also a good thing, but you need to think outside the box. Again, listen to jazz players, and advanced guitar players. Have some imagination. Add some colour to your musics. It's the difference between reading a Webster and reading a Proust*.

* - Relatively obscure reference to Webster's Dictionary and Marcel Proust's novels.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #23 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:22 »

shit

Oh goodness, climb down from that tower. Many players who are less "talented" than you seem to be have gone very far. A prime example is Steve Vai, who considered himself about as talentless as one could get. Through work, study and practise he honed his ability far beyond most people.

You're in no position to claim who should and should not consider a career in music. "Talent" is purely subjective anyway. How many people think Jack White is talented? I think he's taken a bit too much influence from garage bands but good on him for getting as far as he has in the industry.

The fact of the matter is that most people will not work things out without guidance and certainly won't know what to name things. It's all very well and good to work out the Dorian scale but how will you know how applicable it is to chords, how to alter it and how it's already been altered from the major scale?

Hunter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #24 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:28 »

Man, what is the deal with all the Strat hating?

Go look at any Strat in the world.  Go now.

Back? Ok.  Now you know why. 
Last night some one woke me up at 3 in the morning wearing a scary clown face and threatening me with a round of naked sit ups.

BaneAtvar

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #25 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:44 »

Man, what is the deal with all the Strat hating?

Go look at any Strat in the world.  Go now.

Back? Ok.  Now you know why. 

What, you kidding me? My strat is awesome.

And those matching headstock strats are awesome too. As long as its not X/white pickguard, I'm a sucker for strats.

Mine is currently Trans. Red / Black with the Gibson SG buttons.

It's awesome.

greenMonkey

• The Tickler
  • WOO
« Reply #26 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:59 »

Strats are over-played.  Also, aesthetically, generally I prefer single cutaway guitars.  The notable exceptions are the LP double cutaway, SG, and the Fender TC-90.

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #27 on: 20 Dec 2007, 20:19 »

Maybe they're overplayed because they are awesome?  But seriously, quite a versatile instrument.  Just imagine if everyone played arch tops instead.  What a crazy world that would be!
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #28 on: 20 Dec 2007, 23:43 »

* - Relatively obscure reference to Webster's Dictionary and Marcel Proust's novels.
come on
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #29 on: 21 Dec 2007, 00:25 »

Gun to my head, my favourite guitarist of all time was probably a gentleman called Ricky Wilson.

Good Christ do I love this guitarist.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #30 on: 21 Dec 2007, 01:44 »

I'm just suggesting that listening closely to music and experimenting may produce more interesting results than learning in an academic fashion.

So someone who learned to play an instrument the "academic fashion" can't experiment and/or listen to music?

Bullshit, dude.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #31 on: 21 Dec 2007, 01:54 »

You guys have turned this thread into a debate with all kinds of music terminology and shit. Which I enjoy as much as the next guy.

But you all forget how your first week playing guitar was you trying to fret an open A major and whining about how your fingers hurt. You are totally overwhelming Cory with all this shit and that is the worst thing you can do to a beginning guitarist.

Cor, get the guy to give you a few basic lessons until you feel comfortable with the instrument in your hands, at least. Then teach yourself until you are at a point where you are ready to learn things not outlined in most lessons online or guitar technique books in a non-frustrating manner. This'll take about a year, give or take.

Or you can keep taking lessons from him but honestly, it's half the fun figuring stuff out yourself once you have a basic understanding of the instrument.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #32 on: 21 Dec 2007, 03:12 »

You can debate lessons good/lessons bad, but it doesn't mean a damn thing because it all depends on the person and the teacher.  For every prodigious person who successfully teaches themself an instrument, you have a person like me who teaches herself completely bass-ackwards and develops godawful technique.  For every great teacher who offers good direction and encourages growth, there's a poor teacher who might not be a bad player, but maybe isn't a good communicator or patient or in possession of any number of traits that make a good instructor.  You don't know what kind of student you'll be until you start trying to learn, and you don't know whether a teacher will be a good fit for you until you try to learn from them. 

Congrats Coreh.  If this is not a sign from the Guitar Gods, it's at least a free way to try a new hobby that could grow to be a lifelong love.  That is a pretty cool thing.  Take the free lessons as long as you feel you're benefiting from them, and by all means dabble around on your own too.  Good luck and rock on. 

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #33 on: 21 Dec 2007, 03:54 »

Maybe they're overplayed because they are awesome?  But seriously, quite a versatile instrument.  Just imagine if everyone played arch tops instead.  What a crazy world that would be!

I don't like them as much because they are a 'versatile instrument'. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

Also, while I do think you should do a lot by yourself unless you want to train yourself classical or flamenco or that crazy stuff, you need to have the foundation so you don't fuck yourself up as with everything else. Just like how singers should have some kind of voice training under their belt, because if you don't, there's a good chance you're doing something wrong that will hurt you in the end.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #34 on: 21 Dec 2007, 07:44 »

I'm just suggesting that listening closely to music and experimenting may produce more interesting results than learning in an academic fashion.

So someone who learned to play an instrument the "academic fashion" can't experiment and/or listen to music?

Bullshit, dude.

Um.  That's not what I said.

This is what I mean by people arguing with me as though I said one thing when in fact I didn't.

Look at what I said again.  "I'm just suggesting that listening closely to music and experimenting may produce more interesting results..."

In other words I've been giving my opinion based on possibility and personal experience.

Remember, I'm the guy that refuses to say that the Eagles are a "worse" band than Godspeed You! Black Emperor.  So I don't know why you or anyone would think I'd presume to say that taking lessons is "always" worse than teaching yourself.

I personally never had any problems figuring out fretting chords or strumming or phrasing or whatever, so I guess if you can't even do those then yes, lessons would definitely be a good idea.

I think we can stop this stupid debate now and talk more about how big our dicks are what kind of guitars we like to play.

yossarian07

« Reply #35 on: 21 Dec 2007, 08:23 »

I personally enjoyed myself more once I quit lessons and started teaching myself (my skills have probably suffered from it but I see no point in learning to play if im not going to enjoy it), but if they're free you might want to see for yourself.
And word of advice to a beginner: It will not get you girls as easily as you would think.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #36 on: 21 Dec 2007, 09:21 »

Hey!

My fingers were just fine learning how to play chords, thank you very much!

Chad K.

• FIGHT YOU
    • The Riveras
« Reply #37 on: 21 Dec 2007, 09:30 »

And word of advice to a beginner: It will not get you girls as easily as you would think.

He lies to keep more girls to himself.  Get somewhat good, play in a band, and it WILL get you girls.  Ric Ocasek, my friend, Ric Ocasek...

imapiratearg

« Reply #38 on: 21 Dec 2007, 09:54 »

It's true!  Once you're good enough, that is.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #39 on: 21 Dec 2007, 10:10 »

Um.  That's not what I said.

You're right, I guess I didn't read your post through. Sorry about that.

What I meant to say before I decided to be kind of an asshole is that lessons are always  a good idea. Even if you can figure out the chords and phrasing by youreself, it's always good to have a more experienced musician giving you pointers and correcting mistakes. It depends though, on the teacher. Both of my bass teachers were music majors. My first teacher graduated from the music academy of Moscow, and is also a classical violin player, and the second one was a Rimon school of Jazz and Modern Music and Berklee College of Music graduate. So it's fair to say I've had pretty good teachers. But if you get a passable guitarist who thinks he's the shit and can teach kids music, then you're really better off figuring it out yourself.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

yossarian07

« Reply #40 on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:04 »

He lies to keep more girls to himself.  Get somewhat good, play in a band, and it WILL get you girls.  Ric Ocasek, my friend, Ric Ocasek...

Damn, I knew I was missing something.

monkandmovies13

« Reply #41 on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:13 »

I've been teaching myself since April, and I'm pretty good. I mean, I'm not especially wonderful, I'm still struggling a bit trying to learn "The Dangling Conversation," but I'm getting there. If you have enough motivation to learn and want to be really good, then you don't need a teacher. Buy some books and learn songs you like. I learned it completely on my own terms, and would spend literally hours a day practicing. A lot of people I know taught themselves and they like it better that way. But a teacher is good for motivation if you think you need it.

Also music theory is scary. I made the mistake of trying to overwhelm myself learning about it at first, and then just got confused and frustrated. It's cool and important to know, so wait until you've been able to figure some things out for yourself and have been playing for a few months before you venture into things like that.

Good luck

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #42 on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:36 »

The thing about music theory for me is that I found it a lot easier to understand it intuitively without actually knowing the underlying concepts.  Learning music theory academically is basically learning a really conplex form of math, and while I'm good at math, it always distracts me when writing songs if I am actually thinking about the interplay of chords and notes.  I find it easier and more fun to just sort of let songs evolve organically.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #43 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:17 »

I have no idea, but HOW THE FUCK did you manage to pull that one off? Yes, my freind, this is deffinitely a sign from the rock gods.

*SPOILERS* It's a Squier

*SPOILERS* He's gay
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #44 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:28 »

Just practice with a metronome from day one. Don't make the same mistake as me :S

2HourHiatus

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Select pistol, and then select your horse.
    • The Two Hour Hiatus
« Reply #45 on: 21 Dec 2007, 15:42 »

I taught myself guitar, but before that I had piano lessons. An understanding of key signatures, chord structure, and scales really helps when you start.
Lady, step inside my Hyundai...

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #46 on: 21 Dec 2007, 17:07 »

Also, aesthetically, generally I prefer single cutaway guitars.  The notable exceptions are the LP double cutaway, SG, and the Fender TC-90.

You're forgetting the Jazzmaster/Jaguar, the ES-335 and all her cousins, and just about every Eastwood guitar ever.

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #47 on: 21 Dec 2007, 23:08 »

I'm getting a pure white(olympic) Stratocaster next pay-day. I'm pretty darn psyched!

I'd of gotten a Tele because of their bluesier sound, and cooler body, but this local spot that I'm buying it from didn't have any in stock at the time... Didn't feel like making him order another, so I compromised.

I may or may not sell my bass, or at least my bass-amp.

Edots:fucking pagebreak D:
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 23:11 by Chrasstor »

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #48 on: 21 Dec 2007, 23:28 »

The thing about music theory for me is that I found it a lot easier to understand it intuitively without actually knowing the underlying concepts.  Learning music theory academically is basically learning a really conplex form of math, and while I'm good at math, it always distracts me when writing songs if I am actually thinking about the interplay of chords and notes.  I find it easier and more fun to just sort of let songs evolve organically.

Music theory isn't a set of instructions, it's an explanation.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #49 on: 22 Dec 2007, 00:43 »

I'm getting a pure white(olympic) Stratocaster next pay-day. I'm pretty darn psyched!

you son of a bitch :(
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up