THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Engagement rings  (Read 44993 times)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Re: Engagement rings
« Reply #50 on: 24 Dec 2007, 11:11 »

I got Cristi a nice, understated pearl set in white gold with a yellow gold band.

I guess this also counts as my Official Forum Announcement.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

ummmkay

• Curry sauce
« Reply #51 on: 24 Dec 2007, 11:13 »

Congratulations to you both! :)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #52 on: 24 Dec 2007, 11:15 »

Oh snap!
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #53 on: 24 Dec 2007, 11:29 »

Dude, didn't you read the rest of the thread? Yellow gold is sooooo out of style, she hates you. </sarcasm>

Congratulations on that, though.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

camelpimp

« Reply #54 on: 24 Dec 2007, 11:46 »

Gold is so impractical. What would she do if she got into a bar fight?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #55 on: 24 Dec 2007, 12:04 »

Weddings suck. Screw weddings, we're throwing a party instead.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #56 on: 24 Dec 2007, 13:55 »

We're all invited to the party right?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #57 on: 24 Dec 2007, 20:48 »

!
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #58 on: 25 Dec 2007, 09:20 »

if you decide to go with a diamond (which you should. matt and joe are so right about this one), unless you know for sure, go with a 'safe' shape. round/princess cut would be your best bet unless you know her tastes lie elsewhere. personally, i would cringe at the sight of a heart shaped diamond. i think that a marquis cut would just snag on everything. and let's not forget the sex and the city ring disaster... pear shaped diamond in a yellow gold setting... ew.

also, a lot of people will tell you to look at the jewelry she wears now to gauge what kind of ring she would like. this is not always a good idea though... i wear very minimal jewelry, no rings at all, plain white gold small hoop earrings, and at most a bracelet of jade beads. but that doesn't mean i'm not still hoping for this someday...
[img width= height=]http://allwomenstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/88.jpg[/img]
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #59 on: 25 Dec 2007, 09:36 »

That looks a lot like the ring I got my fiancee (only bigger doh). Those side things have a goofy name, like baguettes or barettes or something.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #60 on: 25 Dec 2007, 09:41 »

you have good taste in rings, then! they are baguettes, good job.
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #61 on: 25 Dec 2007, 09:42 »

My husband and I got two identical bands for engagement rings.

They were cheap and made of titanium - "our rings will last as long as our love; d'awww!"

We had a "long" engagement, though. Over two years. I wouldn't bother if it's short. We bought prettier bands (not identical) for the wedding.

I could never have a ring with a "rock" on it. I'm too clumsy. I'd catch it on everything. Also, don't ever buy diamonds. Not because of the blood diamond thing, though that is bad, but because De Beers has a bit of a... monopoly on the diamond market. If you mention that to a salesperson, they'll say it's good because that means it's quality controlled.

Bullshit. Diamonds aren't rare. Yes. They are pretty. And if your girl moans about them, get her one. But their price is HIGHLY inflated. Rubies and sapphires are nice hard stones, and long wearing. And they are beautiful. Sapphires come in tons of colors. They are both rarer than diamonds. So are emeralds, but you don't want an emerald on a daily ring. Too soft. It'll scratch right up.

From what I understand, you can get a "fake" diamond (though it is chemically identical) for a portion of the price. There is no physical way to tell the difference. Plus, they can give you all the rare colors. I'd say look into that if you've got a diamond girl on your hands.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #62 on: 25 Dec 2007, 18:58 »

If I wanted a big rock, I'd want a sapphire, because, well, ^ what she said.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #63 on: 25 Dec 2007, 23:06 »

I feel like my aesthetic opinions (ie: platinum is for catalytic converters and white gold is for rappers) are way too strong to make my advice worthwhile.  But then you're not looking for advice, so I'd like to insert a thank you to my parents for giving me the rocks from my great-grandmother's ring for whenever I decide to get married.  Because De Beers sucks and all.  Also, I'm as suspicious of generalizations about what women want out of an engagement ring as I am about most other gender generalizations (not that they don't get at something, just that there are too many exceptions to make them useful given that you actually know the person).
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #64 on: 26 Dec 2007, 12:45 »

Just going to throw it out there, diamonds are kind of nice for an engagement ring in that they are colorless. She's going to be wearing this thing every day, it's kind of nice to know that it won't ever clash.
Maybe that's just something I care about? Really though, no way in hell I'd get a blue/green/pink/what-have-you stone if I intended to wear it with any regularity.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #65 on: 26 Dec 2007, 15:16 »

i agree... colored stones are pretty, but not an everyday kind of thing.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #66 on: 26 Dec 2007, 23:49 »

Moissanite and synthetic diamonds are colorless and don't involve massive diamond cartels who control brutal near-slavery practices and your entire opinion of diamonds!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #67 on: 27 Dec 2007, 02:43 »

Oh, whatever you do, don't get pearl in a ring that will be worn often.

Why? Because vinegar dissolves pearls. That's the last thing a lady needs.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #68 on: 27 Dec 2007, 06:24 »

I got Cristi a nice, understated pearl set in white gold with a yellow gold band.

Oh, whatever you do, don't get pearl in a ring that will be worn often.

Why? Because vinegar dissolves pearls. That's the last thing a lady needs.

oh snap

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #69 on: 27 Dec 2007, 10:25 »

Oh.

Hey, Jeph, tell Cristi not to get her pearls near vinegar.

Though... he got her a band and a pearl set. Isn't a set usually earrings and a necklace?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #70 on: 27 Dec 2007, 14:19 »

I think he means that the pearl was set in white gold.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #71 on: 27 Dec 2007, 14:43 »

As long as she isn't cooking or whatever deals with vinegar, like cleaning or something, she'll be fine. My mom has a pearl ring she wears on a daily basis and it's held up really well, because she takes it off when she cooks/bakes and washes her hands.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #72 on: 27 Dec 2007, 15:22 »

Bullshit. Diamonds aren't rare. Yes. They are pretty. And if your girl moans about them, get her one. But their price is HIGHLY inflated. Rubies and sapphires are nice hard stones, and long wearing. And they are beautiful. Sapphires come in tons of colors. They are both rarer than diamonds. So are emeralds, but you don't want an emerald on a daily ring. Too soft. It'll scratch right up.

While it's just a mindless read, read Shock Wave by Clive Cussler for a decent overview of the whole Diamond vs other precious stones story.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

kizzie

« Reply #73 on: 27 Dec 2007, 17:22 »

I've probably surpassed the forum accepted posts-per-day count, however in the "Official Haul" thread I showed off my engagement ring.  I received my ring as a Christmas gift, though my fiance and I have been engaged for two years now.

On the note of what kind of rings to go for, I have seen the full spectrum from tasteless to dazzling.  My parents wear pewter rings with celtic knotwork, though for special occasions I have seen my mother break out the old traditional diamond solitaire my father proposed with. 

My first marriage (boy howdy what a failure) found me wearing white gold band with no stone, as did my husband.

Rather than attempt to describe the beauty of my ring, here's the picture I posted of it, after which I'll cease my prattling:

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #74 on: 27 Dec 2007, 17:41 »

I've probably surpassed the forum accepted posts-per-day count
The total number of posts for your account is 4. There are people who've racked up like 30 on their first day.

kizzie

« Reply #75 on: 27 Dec 2007, 17:59 »

The total number of posts for your account is 4. There are people who've racked up like 30 on their first day.

:angel: I figured that much, my comment was meant in jest.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #76 on: 27 Dec 2007, 21:16 »

That... is a very pretty, tasteful ring.

I like it.

Probably because it's shiny. I like looking at my ring and seeing my eye in it.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #77 on: 27 Dec 2007, 21:39 »

I'm really a fan of the simplicity of the band, it makes the fact that it has a diamond, while not huge, that much more eye catching. *cough*You're man's cheap*cough*

But really I like it a lot, given my take on the whole idea of engagement rings to begin with, but wha-do-I know? I'm nineteen.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Felix_

« Reply #78 on: 28 Dec 2007, 02:06 »

if you decide to go with a diamond (which you should. matt and joe are so right about this one), unless you know for sure, go with a 'safe' shape. round/princess cut would be your best bet unless you know her tastes lie elsewhere. personally, i would cringe at the sight of a heart shaped diamond. i think that a marquis cut would just snag on everything. and let's not forget the sex and the city ring disaster... pear shaped diamond in a yellow gold setting... ew.

also, a lot of people will tell you to look at the jewelry she wears now to gauge what kind of ring she would like. this is not always a good idea though... i wear very minimal jewelry, no rings at all, plain white gold small hoop earrings, and at most a bracelet of jade beads. but that doesn't mean i'm not still hoping for this someday...

That ring looks like every other ring in the world. Why would you ever want to ask a girl to marry you, and then present something that 90% of the female population is already wearing in virtually identical variants on their finger?

McTaggart

• Positive feedback.
« Reply #79 on: 28 Dec 2007, 03:26 »

Except it's completely different to everyone else's ring because it is her ring which was given to her by you.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #80 on: 28 Dec 2007, 05:00 »

That ring looks like every other ring in the world. Why would you ever want to ask a girl to marry you, and then present something that 90% of the female population is already wearing in virtually identical variants on their finger?
You're right, engagement rings are so not indie. In fact, the whole idea of asking a girl to marry you is horribly conformist.

richardsdm

« Reply #81 on: 28 Dec 2007, 05:16 »

In an effort to save money by getting a unique engagement ring instead of one with a huge diamond in it, I found this awesome jewelry store that makes awesome unique rings.  I got to meet the artist and she sketched out the ring design from similar ones they had in the store.  It was great to be a part of the process of the ring design.  My wfie loved that her ring is one of a kind.  The diamond is very tiny and flush against the ring.  She decided that she didn't want a wedding band and wears the engagement ring as both.  We also had my band made there.  It is a hammered design that once again there are similar styled rings that they have made, but it is unique to me.

Funny story.  When I was telling the first artist in the store that I knew that my girlfriend soon to be wife would prefer a unique ring over one with a large diamond, he said, "You're a lucky man."  How true in so many ways.

kizzie

« Reply #82 on: 28 Dec 2007, 05:40 »

That ring is beautiful, Richard! 

My engagement ring will likely be put away in a special place just like my mother does for hers, as my fiance and I are going to have damascus steel rings made for our wedding bands.  So yes, my engagement ring is inexpensive, but for being my first diamond I can honestly tell you it's value doesn't match the price tag.  I get misty eyed just thinking about it.  *grabs a kleenex and congratulates all on their pretties*

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 28 Dec 2007, 09:51 »

I like the small, flush diamond look as well! Richardsdm, your lady has good taste:)
Here is mine, I love the tension-set floating bit
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!
« Reply #84 on: 28 Dec 2007, 09:58 »

Wow, that's gorgeous!  I'd be so paranoid it would fall out, though. 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #85 on: 28 Dec 2007, 10:31 »

Odds fish, m'dear fellows! Whatever have you all done to be condemned to matrimony?
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

öde

« Reply #86 on: 28 Dec 2007, 12:01 »

Katie, will you marry me?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #87 on: 28 Dec 2007, 12:48 »

Why hasn't the plug on that got the bits you actually stick into the socket? Katie, he is trying to propose with inferior products.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #88 on: 28 Dec 2007, 12:55 »

because it's better than proposing with an ugly shaped diamond? i never said that you should get a round diamond solitaire ring, that would be what 90% of the population is already wearing. but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. the ring that my ex-fiance proposed to me with was a marquis cut, split setting yellow gold monstrosity with tiny marquis cut side diamonds. completely cringe-worthy. i would have been a lot happier with a round diamond solitiare, even if it is what everyone else is wearing. it would be special because it would be mine.

p.s. i didn't break up with him because he got me an ugly ring.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #89 on: 28 Dec 2007, 13:00 »

p.s. i didn't break up with him because he got me an ugly ring. I broke up with him because he had a tiny penis.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2007, 13:02 by jhocking »

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #90 on: 28 Dec 2007, 15:57 »

that is entirely beside the point!

at the time i had never seen another penis...

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #91 on: 28 Dec 2007, 17:01 »

That's what the internet is for.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #92 on: 29 Dec 2007, 08:29 »

YOU'RE what the internet is for.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #93 on: 30 Dec 2007, 00:47 »

gorgeous ring
That's absolutely beautiful. Splendid choice.

And I love those tension set rings. The only thing that bothers me about them is I don't think they'd be able to be resized, would they? But awesome.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #94 on: 30 Dec 2007, 18:44 »

In an effort to save money by getting a unique engagement ring instead of one with a huge diamond in it, I found this awesome jewelry store that makes awesome unique rings.  I got to meet the artist and she sketched out the ring design from similar ones they had in the store.  It was great to be a part of the process of the ring design.  My wfie loved that her ring is one of a kind.  The diamond is very tiny and flush against the ring.  She decided that she didn't want a wedding band and wears the engagement ring as both.  We also had my band made there.  It is a hammered design that once again there are similar styled rings that they have made, but it is unique to me.

Funny story.  When I was telling the first artist in the store that I knew that my girlfriend soon to be wife would prefer a unique ring over one with a large diamond, he said, "You're a lucky man."  How true in so many ways.

[PRETTY]

I LOVE that ring. That's pretty much what I want eventually. What's the store called?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
« Reply #95 on: 30 Dec 2007, 22:25 »

i got engaged today, official-like with a ring! manda points out that are going to give our dad a heart attack, because she just told them yesterday. :) this is my ring:
« Last Edit: 19 Dec 2009, 19:36 by bainidhe_dub »
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

öde

« Reply #96 on: 30 Dec 2007, 22:30 »

Is everyone getting engaged?

(ooh, fancy ring!)

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #97 on: 30 Dec 2007, 23:24 »

DAMNIT, bain...
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

heather

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #98 on: 30 Dec 2007, 23:35 »

Two years ago (when I was still engaged, before the breakup obviously) I had a gorgeous white gold diamond solitaire.

It's pretty traditional looking, but damn is it gorgeous. I can't wear it anymore obviously, but this just goes to show that you can go traditional but be elegant about it. :)

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #99 on: 30 Dec 2007, 23:56 »

GUYS! BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!

Jodie and I got engaged too (woo! Australian citizenship!)! I got her a big stone! Hold on, she's taking a picture right now!
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up