THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 05:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The thread for talking about Beer  (Read 49865 times)

SeanBateman

The thread for talking about Beer
« on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:24 »

I am not sure if this is suitable, but if the mods are willing I would propose a thread not specifically for posting drunk, but a thread for posting about the nice beers that people drink. Drunk posting will transfer over, but this is just for talkin about beer?

I will have better posts in this thread after I drink some of these Great Whites I have in my fridge.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 12:29 by Dirk Hopeless »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
Re: The thread for talking about Beer
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:34 »

?

Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:37 »

dammit! I just posted a reply in the other thread! All further beer discussion I have will be in this thread.

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:39 »

I just enjoyed a nice, cold Erdinger Weissbier after work today. 'Twas good.

If I want something to sit around and enjoy, however, I'll go for an Ale-, Porter- or Stout-type beer though. I like my ale dark, rich and with taste from here to next week.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:41 »

If you drink beer you will be fat when you hit 40.

Also didn't I get texted at for putting the word "thread" in the title of my thread?
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 12:44 by Cartilage Head »
Hate, rain on me

SeanBateman

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2007, 12:42 »

Delete that one, and post it here.

Dogfish head has rapidly moved towards being my favorite brewery. They just universally make good beers, but their 90 minute IPA is I think my favorite beer. They make some really nice limited run beers that are completely expensive, but totally delicious. Also, their Winter seasonal, the Chicory Stout, is beyond belief.

TwinkyToes

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:03 »

i am a little drunk but i like this thread

i had the newcastles and 3 of the pete's and i just opened a sierr aneveda 'celebration'.

cele: this thing smell sliek orange! and whoaa its bitter at first bu ttgeits better

SeanBateman

« Reply #7 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:04 »

Yeah hoppier beers, like the Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale have a really citrusy nose, typically, and the hop causes a really bitter first taste. It's my favorite part of most beers.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:20 »

I really like creamy beers. I was introduced to Boddington's over the summer and was pretty much in love.

And some dude had this beer at a party a few weeks back and I hate myself for not remembering the name. Shit was so creamy, it was like a beer milkshake, except way better than what that phrase implies.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:24 »

beer milkshake

first thing that came to mind. eww.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:26 »

I love the Belgians!

Hoegarden is great
for Trappists I like Orval, Chimay Grand Reserve and Chimay Premium
Rare Vos is always nice
Lindemans Framboise and Kreik are delicious

Outside of the Belgians I like Harp, and german hefeweizens. Some are better than others, but I generally enjoy the style all around. We're lucky enough to have a brewery here in Slippery Rock that has a pretty good selection and keeps their production rotating.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Stryc9Fuego

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Qualified Awesomeologist
« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:34 »

I like a good Hefe-Weissen, like Weihenstephaner. In general, I like my beers to have a lot of good flavor to them, but if it is a beer that needs to be ice cold and served in a frozen mug, keep it. Those never make my taste buds happy. Anything nice and thick... hell, almost CHEWY... we're good.

Above all, on behalf of America, I am so sorry for light beers.

TwinkyToes

« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:35 »

i am    a sucker for stouts too because they are not too strong - anything that sounds choclaty or caramel

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #13 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:36 »

I typically don't mess around with foreign beers and microbrews because they aren't typically stocked anywhere I can theoretically walk to and from carting a carton of beer, and Australian beers are almost exclusively dreck, so I keep a fridge stocked full of Coopers Pale Ale at any given oppourtunity. Not a fan of the sparkling though, its a bit iffy to me. At the moment however, I have cracked one of the Carlton Draughts that belong to my flatmates boyfriend, because beer you didn't pay for is always delicious, no matter how bad it is.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

The extra letter

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #14 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:56 »

I really like most beers done by the Matilda Bay Brewing Company (guess where they're based?) and pretty much everything done by the Malt Shovel brewery, which is only about 10 minutes away. Their amber and golden ales are awesome.
Hush, may I ask you all for silence? The dreamer is still asleep.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #15 on: 21 Dec 2007, 13:58 »

Pale ales are really under-appreciated, I find. Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale is probably one of the best ales you can get across the country.

Here in Saskatchewan we have the Great Western Brewing Company. They market an excellent lager that they simply refer to as "Great Western Premium." Another beer of theirs that I've been meaning to try is the Extra Gold, which is 9% alcohol tucked inside what is reportedly a very smooth malt.

Another western Canadian brewery I'm fond of is Big Rock, which operates out of Calgary. Their beer is almost universally great, with the exception of Grasshopper which is kind of thin. However, they've also got their rich, red Traditional Ale, their wonderfully smooth Honey Brown Lager, and McNally's Extra, an Irish ale that's brewed especially for the eponymous tavern which is located here in Regina.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 14:04 by Johnny C »
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

SeanBateman

« Reply #16 on: 21 Dec 2007, 14:05 »

That's funny Grasshopper was one of the best beers I had while I was in Toronto, in my opinion.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: 21 Dec 2007, 14:34 »

I advise against the Youngs Christmas Ale. Had a pint today at my local because the Flowers was still settling. When I drunk it, it was one of the blandest, gassiest pints of bitter I have had in a long while, but the aftertaste and effect upon the stomach were truly unpleasant.

Actually, I find seasonal ales to generally be an incredibly spotty affair. Most of them are unremittingly awful, but some are very good. I rather like Greene King's 'Winter King' ale.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #18 on: 21 Dec 2007, 15:58 »

That's funny Grasshopper was one of the best beers I had while I was in Toronto, in my opinion.

Oh jeez do they ever make better beer.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #19 on: 21 Dec 2007, 17:42 »

5 posts in a beer thread without talking about any Bay Area brews is a travesty. But more than 10? FUCKING PREPOSTEROUS

Anchor Steam and He'brew came to mind in the Drunk Thread and I'll be damned if they don't get mentioned here.

Also: http://beeradvocate.com/beerfly/city/17/
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #20 on: 21 Dec 2007, 19:22 »

Pale ales are really under-appreciated, I find. Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale is probably one of the best ales you can get across the country.

Pale Ales are under-appreciated, but a Pale Ale is quite a different drink from an India Pale Ale.

There's been an incredible upswing in interest in micro-breweries and craft beers in Australia lately, especially in Melbourne - thanks in a large part to the popularity (and excellence) of the Mountain Goat Brewery. It seems like every month there's another brewery opening its doors (I know because I have a specialty beer bar around the corner from my house which is run by two of people who are possibly even more snobbish about their beer than I am, bless 'em). Naturally a lot of the breweries that are opening up around here lately are trying to jump on the bandwagon, and don't really know what they're doing - and the beer they produce is pretty mediocre. But some of them are really starting to shine. The 3 Ravens brewery, after a slightly shaky start, is now really flying (scuse the pun) and in terms of quality probably rivals Mountain Goat - though they make completely different beers from the Goat range, which is good. Their Blond is especially good.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #21 on: 21 Dec 2007, 19:31 »

I don't know much about beer, but I do know that Heineken tastes like piss.  So does Miller High Life.

I don't fancy drinking much, so this really isn't a thread for me.

SeanBateman

« Reply #22 on: 21 Dec 2007, 19:34 »

But you posted anyway! Good call!

I am drinking that Oak Aged Arrogant Bastard again.

It's still fucking delicious.

thehollow

« Reply #23 on: 21 Dec 2007, 19:46 »

reposting my last post in the other thread:

Leinenkugels, Capital Brewery, New Glarus, Summit, Berghoff, Sprecher, and Goose Island are all really good craft brews available in a good part of the upper midwest. Capital Brews are probably my favorite around, the brewery's like a block from my house, and they have an outdoor beergarden in the summer with live music and stuff. Their beer is amazing as well, they've won rediculous amounts of awards for pretty much every one of their beers, including "America's #1 Rated Brewery" by the Beverage Testing Institute's World Beer Championships.

Red Hook, Rogue, Dogfish, and Smutty Nose are all good ones I've tried that might be available around the country if you've got a good liquor store in the area.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #24 on: 21 Dec 2007, 20:49 »

I had some beers today! They were quite good. But, reading this thread i realize, again, the one big drawback about German beer culture: you can basically get a decent beer everywhere, but (at least in rural areas like around here) you don't have many options, if at all, and there are no specialized shops that sell the really good beer. The kind of beer that you'd pay twice as much as for the normal stuff, which is (I've said it before) of quite a high quality here.

audacity

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #25 on: 21 Dec 2007, 21:03 »

I used to hate beer. Seriously, it tasted horrible to me.
Then one day I tried it again, and now I can't stop.
I just can't!

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #26 on: 21 Dec 2007, 21:12 »

The Fuller's 1845 I had earlier was rather tasty. Something that is definitely worth a shot if you like your ale anyways.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #27 on: 21 Dec 2007, 23:22 »

I'm not sure my taste buds work right. I drink PBR pretty exclusively, not because of the hipster factor, but because I genuinely like the taste.

I also liked the Killian's Red, and Sam Adams, and Bass but I couldn't tell you why. There was a restaurant here that brewed it's own beer, and they had a California red that was probably the best beer I'd ever had, but that was probably because it was so fresh. I don't even know what any of the beer terms actually mean, though I've seen the brewing episode of Modern Marvels at least a dozen times. Basically, help me?
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

SeanBateman

« Reply #28 on: 21 Dec 2007, 23:34 »

What do you want to know?

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #29 on: 22 Dec 2007, 00:42 »

i had he'brew again tonight, tweo of them, and i had like 2 shots of sake and 5 of jameson's

i posted in the drunk thread
it's pretty motherfuckign awesome beer even if you're not drunk

he'brew that is

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #30 on: 22 Dec 2007, 03:16 »

She called me late last night
To say she loved me so
It didn't matter anymore, I'll say she never cared
And that she never will
I'd do it all again
I guess I'll have to wait until then

If I get drunk well I'll pass out on the floor now baby,
You won't bother me no more,
And if I'm drinkin' well
You know that you're my friend
And I say I think I'll have myself a beer.

She called me late last night to say she loved me so
But I guess She changed Her mind.
Well I should have known it wouldn't be all right
But I can't live without her
So I won't even try...

If I get drunk well
I'll pass out on the floor now baby,
You won't bother me no more,
And if I'm drinkin' well
You know that you're my friend
And I say I think I'll have myself a beer.

Maybe some day, I'll think of what to say,
Maybe next time I'll remember what to do! (do, do, do)
She looks like heaven, maybe this is hell,
Said she'd do it all again
She promised not to tell!

If I get drunk well,
I'll pass out on the floor now baby
You won't bother me no more
(and she said) It's OK boy cause
You know we'll be good friends and I say
I think I'll have myself a beer
    /
:-D

Dino rocks the Reel Big Fish.  Sorry, I'm sleep deprived, and this is what came to mind when I saw Beer.
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #31 on: 22 Dec 2007, 05:44 »

Hey Keiffer, when you were down here did you get yourself some Goldstar?
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 05:56 by Misereatur »
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

TwinkyToes

« Reply #32 on: 22 Dec 2007, 10:19 »

okay, after a pretty good day of drinking, i had a modelo this morning. i don't know, but after having the other beers, this one seems really ho-hum. not really offensive but just bland. y/n??

other than that - sierra nevada celebration - really bitter at first but after the first bottle i was quickly liking this. newcastle - same as usual, i like drinking this when i make burgers. pete's wicked strawberry blonde - a fav of mine, easy to drink

i dont work again until christmas eve, what should i buy next?

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #33 on: 22 Dec 2007, 10:22 »

IPA stands for India pale ale right? Just trying to get that down straight.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

SeanBateman

« Reply #34 on: 22 Dec 2007, 10:26 »

okay, after a pretty good day of drinking, i had a modelo this morning. i don't know, but after having the other beers, this one seems really ho-hum. not really offensive but just bland. y/n??

other than that - sierra nevada celebration - really bitter at first but after the first bottle i was quickly liking this. newcastle - same as usual, i like drinking this when i make burgers. pete's wicked strawberry blonde - a fav of mine, easy to drink

i dont work again until christmas eve, what should i buy next?

Where do you live, what do you like in a beer, and what is the selection at the store you go to like.

TwinkyToes

« Reply #35 on: 22 Dec 2007, 11:44 »

i'm in washington state (seattle) and the store i frequent has a pretty good selection (i think it has a couple of local brews).

lately i've been really liking stouts, anything that's creamy...also had a scottish ale last week that was really good
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 13:00 by TwinkyToes »

SeanBateman

« Reply #36 on: 22 Dec 2007, 16:53 »

Old Rasputin Imperial Stout
Dogfish Head Chicory Stout
Sierra Nevada Porter
Rogue Shakespere Stout
Moose Drool
Spaten Optimator

Try those!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #37 on: 22 Dec 2007, 19:33 »

I had Sapporo today. It was alright, but pretty flavorless to be honest.

Statik

• Furry furrier
  • This is the art of ruin.
« Reply #38 on: 22 Dec 2007, 20:55 »

I like a lot of beers, mostly ones that do not contain the words Bud, Coors, Miller, Michelob, or contain any variation on the word Light or Lite.  I also do not accept fruit or sweet in my beer.  (Or in my vodka) 
That being said, my home beer is almost always Becks (as they sell the 12pk cans nearby, and I got a couple cases of Oktoberfest on the cheap), Newcastle (kept out of the fridge, not in), Spaten (any variety, currently stocked up on 2 cases of Oktoberfest)  When Im out and about... well... have a look at the current beer list for one of my favorite places.

http://www.maxs.com/beerlist.php

Yes, you see that correct, currently (as of dec 22nd) they have 66 beers... ON TAP.  It also rotates as they use up kegs.  it averages between 60-70 beers on tap.

Also, when the bartenders remember you, know what you like, and they know their beers.  I  have ordered by taste (I ordered: Something Dark, Not Sweet, No Fruit) on more than one occasion, and not once have I been dissapointed.
Quote from: Black Label Society
Where I fall and where I rise, I couldn't give a damn
Another shot, another beer is all that I have planned...

SeanBateman

« Reply #39 on: 22 Dec 2007, 21:01 »

This stargazer IPA is really not that great. LA can't brew decent beer for some reason.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #40 on: 23 Dec 2007, 00:25 »

My boyfriend homebrews.  We have an entire room in our house dedicated to homebrew and cupboards full of beer.  Whenever my parents come to visit dad goes home with 40 litres of free beer.

For me he makes a most delicious bavarian lager!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Tyrial

• Not quite a lurker
  • Resident Tripod Nut
« Reply #41 on: 23 Dec 2007, 03:34 »

Lunchbox and her boyfriend got me a box full of beers from around the world for my 21st birthday a month ago, which is a fantastic idea:

I normally drink the Pilsner made by Bluetongue, a local Newcastle brewery, but I wish they bottled their Indian Pale Ale which I've tried at the brewery, its the best beer I think I've ever had. James Squire's Golden Ale is also pretty nice, and nothing beats a Guiness fresh from the tap
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2007, 03:35 by Tyrial »
"There ain't no nothing we can't love each other through" - Tripod

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #42 on: 23 Dec 2007, 08:42 »

I was drinking some Paulaner dark wheat beer recently and cursing myself for never having tasted the dark before now. Can anyone recommend some other dark wheat beers to try?
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #43 on: 23 Dec 2007, 13:48 »

I let a girl jack one of the beers I had Friday night (it was a dark beer, I can't remember which though), and I am pretty sure I'm not going to be single by the time Christmas rolls around.

SeanBateman

« Reply #44 on: 23 Dec 2007, 15:03 »

Dude we've talked about this. Having sex with her unconscious body doesn't make her your girlfriend.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #45 on: 23 Dec 2007, 15:21 »

...b-buh... but she wants to see me again!

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #46 on: 23 Dec 2007, 15:24 »

The best ale is almost certainly Harveys Sussex Best Bitter. However I have a liking for Theakstons Old Peculiar and also Hobgoblin. At the other end of the spectrum Greene King IPA is quite refreshing and light - the Deuchars IPA however has rather an unpleasant aftertaste but for my money to best IPA is most certainly Dark Star. As for lagers, if we're talking mainstream fizzy lager I would have to go for San Miguel, or if I'm back in Norn Iron it would be Harp.

Of course the best sort of drink in the world is Guinness, regular in Ireland, extra cold in England. I also enjoy Heineken and Amstell. God knows why.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

morca007

« Reply #47 on: 23 Dec 2007, 18:05 »

I have only one thing to say: I live in the Pacific Northwest, and Full Sail Ale brewery is five minutes from my house.
Booyakasha.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #48 on: 23 Dec 2007, 22:24 »

The best ale is almost certainly Harveys Sussex Best Bitter. However I have a liking for Theakstons Old Peculiar and also Hobgoblin. At the other end of the spectrum Greene King IPA is quite refreshing and light - the Deuchars IPA however has rather an unpleasant aftertaste but for my money to best IPA is most certainly Dark Star. As for lagers, if we're talking mainstream fizzy lager I would have to go for San Miguel, or if I'm back in Norn Iron it would be Harp.

Of course the best sort of drink in the world is Guinness, regular in Ireland, extra cold in England. I also enjoy Heineken and Amstell. God knows why.

Harp is a bit grim really but San Miguel is decent. The reason you enjoy Amstel is because it's a good beer, there's nothing wrong with lager when it's done well. It definitely deserves better than to be mentioned in the same breath as Heineken, which although drinkable is more a tool for getting battered than a tasty beverage.

I really hate all this extra cold nonsense though, it's so vile and the stuff always gives me a horrendous headache.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

SeanBateman

« Reply #49 on: 24 Dec 2007, 00:52 »

Full Sail is okay, I liked wreck the halls.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up