THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:25
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: The thread for talking about Beer  (Read 49836 times)

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
Re: The thread for talking about Beer
« Reply #100 on: 29 Dec 2007, 20:35 »

I really hate all this extra cold nonsense though

The whole notion of "extra cold" and "best served ice-cold" is complete bullshit served up by breweries who can only produce a sub-standard product.
DAMN RIGHT! The first thing I do when sitting down to a glass of good beer out of the fridge is wait 15 or 20 minutes for it to warm up. I've found that using a tulip glass for some beers, such as Trappists, helps warm them from the heat of your hands.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 30 Dec 2007, 23:59 »

My dad was here for Christmas. He left me 2 Stella Artois. Thanks Dad!
*was getting tired of that slug*

TwinkyToes

« Reply #102 on: 31 Dec 2007, 00:28 »

does the myth of "extra-cold" apply to every beer? i might try a warmer guinness

bujiatang

« Reply #103 on: 31 Dec 2007, 08:13 »

we brewed about 11 gallons of imperial stout this fall, and it is awesome. last night we followed it with some Old Rasputin, which is supposed to be really good, and it certainly had strong coffee notes but in that moka pot left boiling on the stove sort of coffee notes.  it tasted burnt.  which was sad, because it cost more than the rest of the beer we drank combined. 

A well poured stout is hard to find in the twin cities.  It seems the bar tenders are used to Highlife where it doesn't matter if it dumps right into the bottom of the glass, high life always will taste like shit. 

I've got a bottle of Lindeman's lambic in the fridge right now.  and it really is something else.

What kills me about Sam Adams is that if you look closely at the labels they are not brewed in Boston at all.  Which is why it can be so inconsistant. 

I really like Blue Moon with a slice of orange in it, the citrus flavor just pops that way.

Moose Drool is an awesome brown ale, best had in it's native Montana, where it isn't watered down from 9%.  Powder Hound is also really good, but I've never liked Big Sky's Summer Honey, waaaaay too sweet.  Goose Island makes a pretty good nut brown ale too. 

At our wedding reception, since we knew most people would prefer a lighter beer we got a keg of Hefe from Summit.  It was so fresh and crisp, the best hefeweisen I've ever had.  The next time I had it, the beer was older and I felt betrayed.  It is nice to go local, but you gotta be sure to get fresh.

Guiness with one drop of blackberry preserves or brandy is a nice way to make something familiar uncanny. ;-D

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #104 on: 31 Dec 2007, 12:22 »

I drink my beer chilled to about 45ºF and it doesn't bother me.

Killian's Red is tasty enough, I had some a couple of weeks ago when somebody brought it to my house when we had a party, but it wasn't really anything special to me. It was just red, and I've never really ventured much into non-pils territory.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

pentaen

• Furry furrier
« Reply #105 on: 31 Dec 2007, 17:32 »

funny thing about beer is that it can get you grounded on new years eve...  :|

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #106 on: 31 Dec 2007, 19:19 »

FUCK GROUNDING.

Drink indoors.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

bujiatang

« Reply #107 on: 31 Dec 2007, 19:21 »

pilots should be sober while flying.

FUBAR

« Reply #108 on: 01 Jan 2008, 14:43 »

Guinness  is good for all seasons,  McEwans in the winter, and Stella Artois in the Summer.

Paav

« Reply #109 on: 04 Jan 2008, 11:31 »

Anchor Steam, Summit, Schells, Leinekugel, Boulevard, Big Sky are the breweries that I seem to go back to most often because they are what are available around here (SE South Dakota). I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone mention Fat Tire (though I may have skimmed past it), its a great ale out of Colorado but unfortunately is unavailable where I live, though it is sold in Minnesota, Iowa and Nebraska.

Stouts, Porters, Pale Ale, IPA, Hefeweizen are probably the styles I go with most often, the first two in the winter and the other three in the summer. I'm not above drinking a cheap light American lager, but I only do this when I am trying to get drunk or nothing else is around. You drink them cold so you don't have to taste them and they aren't as filling so you can drink even faster. This is self destructive on many levels so I don't suggest doing it too often.

In general ales should be consumed at cellar temperature 50s to 60s F. Lagers should be served cooler than that (40s F, sorry I don't do metric). Very few beers should be served at room temperature and frosty mugs should never be pared with a good tasting beer.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #110 on: 04 Jan 2008, 12:29 »

Have I told you guys about how my first beer of '08 was a Foster's? I grabbed a 0.5L can of that shit to open at the stroke of midnight New Year's Eve, and I had never had Foster's before. I was amazed how disappointed I truly was. I thought, "Hm, it can't really be that bad." Fucking wrong. The only reason Heineken is still higher on my "shit beer" list is because of the abrasive artificially-carbonated fizz. At least Foster's has natural carbonation. Fuck man, I'm just going to drink horse piss next year instead.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #111 on: 04 Jan 2008, 19:40 »

How could anybody be disappointed by Fosters? That would imply that you had some kind of happy expectations for it in the first place!

Fosters has been concentrating on the overseas market for years now, especially the British market, but they've recently managed to get their sales up in Australia by stealth: one of the most disappointingly popular new beers in Australia is a vile concoction called Pure Bland Blonde, which trumpets itself on the label as a "Premium Lager" but is in fact just a crappy bog-standard mass-produced lager. Close scrutiny of the label reveals that it's brewed (though "dredged up" would probably be a more fitting term) by Fosters.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #112 on: 05 Jan 2008, 02:13 »

My first beer of the year is going to be Little Creatures' Roger's beer. I haven't had some in a long time so I can't talk at length of the taste, but the colour (which is very near the flavour) is also a great thing. It has this really pretty reddy pinkness to it.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

BobJoeJim

« Reply #113 on: 05 Jan 2008, 03:17 »

Skittlebrau anyone?

camelpimp

« Reply #114 on: 05 Jan 2008, 12:02 »

Taste the rainbow...

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #115 on: 05 Jan 2008, 12:32 »

BTW: My first beer of the new year was a PBR, about three hours into 08.  :|

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #116 on: 05 Jan 2008, 13:05 »

Re: Unibroue
I think the best one to get into would be Trois Pistoles. It's very definitely not another beer, and there flavours are palatable to most people. The only one I wasn't terribly excited about was Blanche de Chambly, which just seemed like a lighter version of another one of their beers.
I recommend their website, it is slowly being upgraded and built into a modern thing, and it sometimes has broken english, but it's got lots of info on all of their beers.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #117 on: 05 Jan 2008, 13:31 »

My first beer of 2008, I recall, was a Miller.

Please shoot me.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #118 on: 05 Jan 2008, 13:37 »

When you chill beer too much you completely dull all the flavour that it might have. If you truly want to enjoy your beer, don't drink it ice-cold.
One of my old roommates kept turning down the temperature in our beer fridge (mini-fridge in the living room; it was college) because he kept complaining that the beer wasn't cold enough. Even when the beer froze completely solid he still didn't think it was cold enough. wtf dude

ADDITION: Then again, it was pretty shitty beer, so perhaps that was just his cunning plan to avoid, y'know, drinking it.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2008, 13:39 by jhocking »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #119 on: 05 Jan 2008, 13:49 »

Boo to lame listing threads!
My first beer of the year is a Kawartha Lakes Brewing Co. raspberry wheat ale. Not nearly as fruity as Pumphouse blueberry (the last fruit beer I had), the wheat ale taste is a little stronger than the raspberry, kind of sucker-punching you when you thought it was going to taste like raspberries. Still, the fruity effervescence (oooh, fancy language, Mr. Crawford) makes it nice and fun to drink.
I will definitely be consuming much more of this come summer.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #120 on: 05 Jan 2008, 13:53 »

Fosters has been concentrating on the overseas market for years now, especially the British market, but they've recently managed to get their sales up in Australia by stealth: one of the most disappointingly popular new beers in Australia is a vile concoction called Pure Bland Blonde, which trumpets itself on the label as a "Premium Lager" but is in fact just a crappy bog-standard mass-produced lager. Close scrutiny of the label reveals that it's brewed (though "dredged up" would probably be a more fitting term) by Fosters.

Pure Blonde isn't really marketed as premium as much as its marketed as a low carb beer. Their real bullshit "premium beer" is crown lager, which is marketed to middle aged middle management types who get shitfaced off it at work functions and make sleazy advances to their younger co-workers. At somewhere around 45 dollars a carton, and tasting about as interesting as a slab of XXXX marinating under a man named Bazza's armpit, I consider it to be the single most evil beer to come out of Australia.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #121 on: 05 Jan 2008, 15:17 »

My first beer of the new year was tennents, also known as piss.
Get off my land

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #122 on: 05 Jan 2008, 17:57 »

One of my old roommates kept turning down the temperature in our beer fridge

Buy a shock collar

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #123 on: 05 Jan 2008, 20:00 »

Pure Blonde isn't really marketed as premium as much as its marketed as a low carb beer.

Oh yeah, the marketing's all about how it's low carbohydrate, but it does claim on the label to be a "Premium Lager".

thehollow

« Reply #124 on: 05 Jan 2008, 20:14 »

So my friend wanted me to buy some of that Miller Chill stuff for her (she's not 21 for another few months) the other day and I refused, on the grounds that it looks like absolute shit. Has anyone tried it yet, and is it as terrible as I expect it to be?

sleepingfingers

« Reply #125 on: 07 Jan 2008, 03:48 »

Favorite IPA - Dogfish 90min IPA (Hops prevent Scurvy)
Favorite Stout - Smuttynose Imperial Stout (Syrupy godliness)
Brown Ale - Ironhorse Brown Ale (Smooth like Jacoby Ellsbury)
Favorite 6pack - PBR pounders (Bakers Yeast, Big Ass Cans, Blue Ribbon and reminds me of my childhood  :-o )
Favorite Beer for $.99 - Steel Reserve 24oz can (If you can stomach 5 or 6 of em guaranteed to end the night with amnesia)

Just a few of mine.  Test new beers from micro/craft breweries, its the bee's knees. 

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #126 on: 07 Jan 2008, 13:30 »

My favorites are the multiple fermented and belgian styled brews like
-- Chimay Blue
-- Rochefort 10
-- Delerium Tremens (and Nocturne)
-- Fringante (which I prefer to Fin de Monde or indeed any of the other Unibroue beers except for the anniversary tripels)
-- Aventinus
-- Three Philosophers (a delicious quad from a New York brewery called Ommegang!)

If I'm going for something a little lighter I'll usually go for a Pilsner Urquel, Magic Hat #9 or Circus Boy, or if I'm at a German place, the Weihenstephaner or Schneider Weisse Weizenhell Hefeweizen (both available at Zum Schneider in NYC as of a few months ago)

I like Arrogant Bastard occasionally, but given how bitter it is (really more of a porter than an ale), it's definitely not an everyday quaff.  Brilliant marketing though.

If you're looking for the fine beer locations of NYC, feel free to ask me since I've been to quite a few of them.
« Last Edit: 07 Jan 2008, 13:43 by pilsner »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #127 on: 07 Jan 2008, 15:43 »

If you're looking for the fine beer locations of NYC, feel free to ask me since I've been to quite a few of them.
showoff

carrotosaurus

• Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #128 on: 07 Jan 2008, 16:08 »

It's sort of on-topic... top 5 bars/brewpubs to drink beers in New England:
1) The Great Lost Bear - Portland, Maine - My all time favorite. I've made the 4 hour trek just to go there for the day. 50 taps of everything local to New England, including really rare cask beers. Some really amazing stuff do be had no matter what day you go, but if you end up going on the weekends they almost always have an event sponsored by a local brewery.
2) The Dirty Truth - Northampton, Mass - Awesome beer selection, not much seating. Hard to find if it's your first trip, it's the only bar in Northampton with no sign in front. Rotating beers, about 30 taps with a really varied selection. Chalkboard shows you price and date of keg. Awful Indian food across the street.
3) Eli Cannon's - Middletown, Conn - Great, great place. Very similar to The Dirty Truth, but much smaller. Food sucks, but the beer is awesome. It's hard to get a seat on weekends, but it's great for a monday or tuesday night.
4) Sunset Grill & Tap - Boston, Mass - 112 taps!! I don't think I need to say any more.
5) Opa Opa - Southampton, Mass - If you haven't been here, you are certainly missing out. Opa Opa brews up some of my favorite beers in the area, and the food is amazing. Not for vegetarians.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #129 on: 08 Jan 2008, 01:08 »

Had some Grolsch that was significantly shittier than any other Grolsch I've had. Either they started sucking horribly in the last year or so, or my tastes have since changed.

SusurrusIgnoramus

• Furry furrier
  • Up yours, Mr. Bear!
« Reply #130 on: 08 Jan 2008, 10:34 »

So my friend wanted me to buy some of that Miller Chill stuff for her (she's not 21 for another few months) the other day and I refused, on the grounds that it looks like absolute shit. Has anyone tried it yet, and is it as terrible as I expect it to be?

I tried it because i wanted to get drunk, and that was all that was around.  it made me not want to get drunk anymore.  it tasted like someone pissed in a margarita.
"Liquor doesn't punch holes in walls, you just hate your dad."

Paav

« Reply #131 on: 08 Jan 2008, 10:41 »

I realize the question was posed a few days ago but the utter terribleness of Miller Chill must be addressed. I took some home from a party a couple of months ago (the host was basically unloading his fridge and I was the youngest, poorest, person with least amount of shame there so I loaded up my cooler). The Miller Chill was one of the worst things I have ever tasted, say what you will about the Beast, Natty, Old Mill or any other terrible cheap beer at least they taste like beer. Miller Chill tastes like synthetic lime and too much salt. If you wanted to compete with Corona just make a beer that tastes like Corona. This stuff is like the Cliff's Notes version of Corona, for those to lazy to buy and cut up a lime. Oh, the horror of remembering that synthetic lime taste is enough to make me queasy even now. I think I had two or three bottles of the stuff and I couldn't even give them away, they ended up in the dumpster. The faster that Miller Chill disappears the better.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #132 on: 08 Jan 2008, 11:08 »

I can't stand any beer except guinness. It all tastes like piss. I need to try other guinness-like beers just so I don't seem as picky.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #133 on: 08 Jan 2008, 12:03 »

Pinkyton, please provide a list of beers that you have tried and deemed to be 'piss'. Then we will know if this is actually a problem with beer, or a problem with your selection of beer.
Also, try anything that calls itself a 'stout' or 'porter' for more guiness-like beers. Guiness is a stout, and porters are kind of similar to stouts.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #134 on: 08 Jan 2008, 12:19 »

I can't stand any beer except guinness.

I'm sorry.

carrotosaurus

• Anarchy in black.
    • ct indie
« Reply #135 on: 08 Jan 2008, 12:21 »

Dicks are also more delicious than stouts.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2008, 13:58 by carrotosaurus »

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #136 on: 08 Jan 2008, 13:51 »

Dicks are also more delicious than stouts.

thehollow

« Reply #137 on: 08 Jan 2008, 17:14 »

Got it from TJs this afternoon, haven't opened it yet, but it seems good enough. and for 5.99 a 6pack, I can't complain even if it's not the best.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #138 on: 08 Jan 2008, 17:30 »

Beers I have tried that taste like pisss... lesssee:

Yuengling Lager
Sam Adams
Hobgoblin
Holy Ale monty python beer
Xingu (This was almost alright)
Black Sheep
Chocolate Stout (which tasted like shit, not piss)
India Pale Ale
This may be only Michigan, but All Bell's products, including the well-loved and adored Oberon.
All Kraftbrau beer, though that's also local
Tons others I can't recall the name of...

I've never had the cheap stuff like Bud or Natural Ice or whatever it is other people drink, so I don't know how they taste, though I assume it is not worth giving them a chance.

thehollow

« Reply #139 on: 08 Jan 2008, 17:33 »

Wow, there's some really good stuff in that list...

Try Smithwick's. Basically everyone who likes Guinness is also a Smithwicks fan, even though they're pretty different beers.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #140 on: 08 Jan 2008, 20:22 »

^ I'll give that a go, thanks! There's luckily two Irish pubs in my town (god bless college towns) so I'm good on finding anything from that part of the world.

bujiatang

« Reply #141 on: 11 Jan 2008, 07:21 »

theres also Beamish.  You might like that.

or Blackhook, which I think is smoother than Guiness.

Does anyone know of a bar in the Twin Cities that knows how to pull a Guiness?  We went to the Wild Onion, and they poured it fast and hard rigth into the bottom of the glass.  The Horror the Horror!

SonofZ3

« Reply #142 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:36 »

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styleguidelines.cfm
I recently found this website. It is mostly a resource for home brewers, but if you check out the Yeast Style Guide (the part of the page linked), you can find a complete description (Aroma, Mouthfeel, Flavor, ect.) as well as a short list of the most popular types of that particular beer, be it Oatmeal Stouts or Belgian Witbier. Check it out if you have a chance.

Paav

« Reply #143 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:45 »

bujiatang have you tried either the Local or Brit's. They have great selections and seem to care about being seen as psuedo-British pubs. I know I have gotten one or two decent pours there. The only problem is they are downtown Minneapolis so they are expensive.

PacoSees

« Reply #144 on: 11 Jan 2008, 08:59 »

All beer is delicious after enough shots of Rocky Mountain Bear Fuckers.

But the one beer I can drink before getting drunk:
Corona, and not with lime like you white people seem to think it's supposed to be drunk.

My first beer of the year for the past 3 New Years: 9 Coronas.

PS: You do know what a RMBF is, right?

thehollow

« Reply #145 on: 11 Jan 2008, 12:51 »

Why is corona like having sex in a canoe? They're both fucking close to water.

seriously, Corona is complete piss, and doesn't even qualify as beer in my book. There's plenty of really good mexican beers out there, but they all get overshadowed by the total shit that is Corona.

Bujiatang, try Kieran's Irish Pub (on 2nd ave I think) in Minneapolis. My brother met an Irish dude who was working as a bartender there, who told him that apparently he had to show everyone how to correctly pull a Guinness. So although he no longer works there, I would think someone there should know how to. And don't be afraid to just tell them how to do it if you need to.

PacoSees

« Reply #146 on: 11 Jan 2008, 15:30 »

Yes, I'm aware of the wonder that is Bohemia and Tecate, it's just that beers disagree with my tummy unless I precede it with lots of tequila and whiskey.

And besides, hydrating and getting drunk at the same time?

Corona: not quite sex in a canoe.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #147 on: 11 Jan 2008, 15:48 »

i'd rather drink Pabst than Corona.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

SonofZ3

« Reply #148 on: 11 Jan 2008, 20:11 »

UV light destroys certain parts of the hops in beer, resulting in that shitty, skunky, beer. UV light enters clear bottles well. Corona is bottled in clear bottles. As a result of this, I feel that Corona either doesn't give a rotten rat's ass about the quality of their product, or they just figure their beer tastes about the same spoilt and unspoilt. Either way it sucks. The Belgians, Germans, English and Irish know how to make damn good beer, so between their imports and the growing number of good microbrews, why drink crappy clear bottled Corona? (<- rhetorical question)

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #149 on: 11 Jan 2008, 21:15 »

I have never seen a mexican beer that wasn't bottled in a clear bottle. Alao, when the hell is beer ever exposed to uv light?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up