THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: So I Got a Strat Today..  (Read 22569 times)

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: So I Got a Strat Today..
« Reply #50 on: 22 Dec 2007, 06:27 »

Music theory isn't a set of instructions, it's an explanation.

I know that.  But for me personally more interesting song results are obtained by deliberately not thinking about music theory on a conscious level.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

imapiratearg

• Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #51 on: 22 Dec 2007, 06:53 »

I kind of have to agree with Zerodrone here.  I have taken music theory, but when I write songs, I don't really think about any of it.  I just play until  I have something that sounds good.

MadassAlex

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "Tasteful"?
« Reply #52 on: 22 Dec 2007, 08:00 »

I know that.  But for me personally more interesting song results are obtained by deliberately not thinking about music theory on a conscious level.

If you can name a single composer or musician that thinks about theory before they mentally process the sound they're creating I'll be very suprised.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #53 on: 22 Dec 2007, 09:24 »

Uh.  Almost every single classical composer ever wrote music with theory deliberately in mind, particularly Beethoven.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #54 on: 22 Dec 2007, 09:26 »

If you're fluent in the language, you can express yourself a hell of a lot easier.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #55 on: 22 Dec 2007, 09:31 »

That's what I'm saying.  If you're fluent in the language, you don't have to stop and think "OK, what's the word I should put here?"

Writers do not often write with a conscious awareness of the interplay of their words.  Composers do.  Most rock musicians don't.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #56 on: 22 Dec 2007, 10:09 »

I wonder if Dickey Betts had to think about his guitar harmonies when he composed them, or if he just heard them in his head like I do with mine.

This probably isn't helping Cory very much at all.

imapiratearg

« Reply #57 on: 22 Dec 2007, 12:03 »

Writers do not often write with a conscious awareness of the interplay of their words.

Speaking as a writer, that is total and utter bullshit.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #58 on: 22 Dec 2007, 12:32 »

I kind of have to agree with Zerodrone here.  I have taken music theory, but when I write songs, I don't really think about any of it.  I just play until  I have something that sounds good.

See for me, it's a bit different. I consider the theory, and when I'm writing I think, this is what a lot of writers do, and this is where the theory says this chord progression should lead - so I'll make it go this way instead. I learned the theory just so I can defy it, basically.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

imapiratearg

« Reply #59 on: 22 Dec 2007, 17:11 »

I wasn't dogpiling on him.  As a matter of fact, I was agreeing with him in one of my previous posts.  I mean, for a writer's words to be hit or miss, they have to consider how they play into each other, right?  I mean, if he or she is trying to say something, but what is actually put down in writing means something completely different because they didn't think about it, that kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?  Or would it be up to the reader to figure it out, due to the writer's carelessness?

Back to the theory part, I probably haven't had enough training with theory to actually apply the parts crucial to writing music.  But I can read it, and figure out other bits when I sit down and analyze what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 20:52 by imapiratearg »

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #60 on: 22 Dec 2007, 19:53 »

I'm gonna have to agree with imapiratearg there. You can't just write a story without having to check to see if it makes sense, and it takes conscious revision to make sure you can get your point across as effectively and memorably as possible. If nobody's going to remember your story, there's no point in writing it, and the same concept applies to music.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #61 on: 23 Dec 2007, 00:27 »

I learned the theory just so I can defy it, basically.

!!!

Thank you.

Coreh

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #62 on: 23 Dec 2007, 01:23 »

Okay so anyway, thanks for the vast expansion of my thread into nearly everything relating to guitars guys! It was a good read.

So in addition to the free guitar and free lessons, another friend of mine is getting an amp for christmas so he gave me his current one. The signs continue? I need to get a cable so I can sit in my room and annoy my parents.

imapiratearg

« Reply #63 on: 23 Dec 2007, 08:03 »

Get a Monster cable.  You will never regret it.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #64 on: 23 Dec 2007, 09:49 »

I like Planet Waves 90º angled cables. Especially the ones with the angle on one end and it's straight at the other end. Very useful since I play an SG, and the output jack on my hardtail Squier Strat is turned inside out expressly so I can use those things without awkwardness.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #65 on: 23 Dec 2007, 10:28 »

Speaking as a writer, that is total and utter bullshit.

Ah, anecdotal evidence based on a sample size of one.

I'm a writer as well.  A published, nationally-known writer.  And I never consciously think of the interplay of words when I write.  I just write what I think sounds good.  It's intuitive, not logical.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #66 on: 23 Dec 2007, 14:19 »

1. That was a bit snarky, dude, don't you think?
2. It depends on what you write. If it's film/music/theatre reviews, of course you're not going to think about that, there's really nothing to say. If you're writing fiction, you can say a whole hell of a lot about certain things in the world, or you could just be writing for entertainment.

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #67 on: 23 Dec 2007, 15:55 »

Guys, put your guns away. He's just asking if it'd be a good idea to get some basic training on his guitar, or if he's better off without.

Coreh, take practice, see how you like it, and if it's not for you then free-style it! Personally I'm not getting any practice, as you don't really need it for what I want to do.

Do you want to play in a local/garage band? Chances are you won't need any guitar-practice. Also, what kind of amp are you getting from your bud? They threw in a free 10watt for me, since they're so starving for business, but it's definitely a piece of shit. I will have to get a better amp...

Guitaring is expensive :(

PEE S!: This thread is not about writing, wtf guys? What may apply for writing, may not apply for guitaring. There is no real proof of which is better; self-taught or free-styled, and the answer is probably neither. So let's just drop it?
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2007, 15:58 by Chrasstor »

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #68 on: 23 Dec 2007, 16:19 »

If you're playing in a garage/local band, maybe you don't need and practice per se, but as some have said before, it'll make the wheels of communication turn a lot easier if you can straight away both understand what key you're playing in such.

It might be reasonable to argue that as a single player, knowledge of music theory isn't entirely necessary (although I believe it is), but for writing music in a group, things will move much better if all parties involve know what they're talking about at least a bit.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #69 on: 23 Dec 2007, 17:13 »

2. It depends on what you write. If it's film/music/theatre reviews, of course you're not going to think about that, there's really nothing to say. If you're writing fiction, you can say a whole hell of a lot about certain things in the world, or you could just be writing for entertainment.

I don't just write "for entertainment", and obviously I think about things like plot elements, but what was originally being talked about was consciously thinking about which words to use, in the context of an analogy viz a viz people consciously deciding which notes/chords to use.

Obviously some people (classical composers, mostly) write music before playing it, or use certain notes or chords on purpose, but not everyone does, and certainly no rock musician I know does.  I've never been writing a song and thought "Hm, I think I should throw an A minor in here."  When I or my band write songs, they evolve organically from just sitting down and playing.  I'm aware that some musicians are more deliberate, but as I said, I don't really know any.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #70 on: 23 Dec 2007, 17:29 »

I think you're misinterpreting or taking a narrow view of theory's place in writing though. True, very few people would be jamming something out and think "Hm, this needs an A minor," but with a grounding in theory, it makes things more intuitive. It's like having a road map. Some people might look at the road map the entire time they are going to the destination, and this will get them to the place all the same, but it doesn't make them a good navigator. But some other people can just look at the map, understand it, and use it as a guide to get them where they need to go, without having to constantly refer to where they are going. But they've got that information there for them. Without it, they'd just be guessing and driving blind.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #71 on: 23 Dec 2007, 17:44 »

I've never disagree'd with any of that.  What I was originally saying is that it's possible to grasp music theory without actually being taught it.  That's all.

Coreh

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #72 on: 23 Dec 2007, 22:26 »

So anyway. It's a 15watt Behringer amp. He said it's not super amazing but it is pretty decent. No I'm not looking to get into a local band, I just want to be able to play guitar. I'm gonna end up taking lessons from my friend, but just on how to work the damned thing and then I'm taking it from there.

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #73 on: 23 Dec 2007, 23:16 »

Yeah, it's fun to just learn guitar. Playing by yourself, learning some riffs you like, and occasionally writing some could be a blast;however in my mind being in a band would add a whole new complexity to playing the guitar. I think it would be a loads of fun, and definitely more fulfilling than any other hobby.

The hardest part seems to be getting actual people to play with, at least where I live. I can't see how progressing would be THAT difficult, as my job/schooling is flexible enough to allow me to whole-heartedly devote all my free time and energy to it.

As for the whole "Theory" argument, first of all, I don't know a whole lot about the matter... That said, I can't see how not knowing theory would cripple a band too much. Sure, knowing theory would probably speed up the process of playing together, but once a band gets it's chemistry down through hours of practice, I can't see it mattering THAT much. Anyway, I think it's best we leave it at. "Theory helps a lot, grab it if you're willing, but it's not 100% necessary. Bear in mind that you will probably have to play for a long while to grasp natural theory" and let this thread be what it is about...

Which currently seems to be amps?

For you vets, what's a good amp with a good price tag?

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #74 on: 24 Dec 2007, 01:55 »

The short answer is that there's no such thing as a good amp that's cheap.  You can make cheap guitars sound awesome, but there's just no way to make a cheap amp sound good in a live setting, at least not reliably.  If you're going to be playng live, there's not really any way to get around paying $500 or so for an amp.  You could sneak in under $300 if you're not going to be playing "loud" music, though.

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #75 on: 24 Dec 2007, 06:27 »

For you vets, what's a good amp with a good price tag?

*shrug* I play a little 15 watt solid-state Marshall that's pretty nice. I know Patrick's got a beefier version from the same series, he'd probably agree that they're good amps, as far as solid-state goes.

I also have a 15 watt Peavey that's quite shitty, but it works for when I'm recording noise/drone. Way more low-end than the Marshall.
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #76 on: 24 Dec 2007, 10:07 »

Yeah, mine's the 100w version with a single 12" speaker. It gives me enough volume to neutralize most lizards, small rodents, and house pets, and it sounds -damn good- doing it.

But seriously, I'm gonna have to agree with Cory on the band thing. Yes, being in a band is HOLY SHIT FUN, but seriously? He doesn't even -play- yet. I've played for 4 and a half years and I still can't really work with myself as well as I'd like to, let alone a group of other people.

monkandmovies13

« Reply #77 on: 24 Dec 2007, 19:53 »

Here's a total vanity note that's completely unimportant.

When I talk to people who don't play music and I tell them that I play guitar, they're like "That's so cool!" And then they ask me where I get lessons or something, and I say I taught myself, and they're like "ZOMGWTF!1!1!!!ONE!" It's actually not that impressive; it's pretty easy to teach yourself, but some people think it's the most awesome thing ever. I really don't care at all, but yeah...carry on.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #78 on: 25 Dec 2007, 19:51 »

I've never been writing a song and thought "Hm, I think I should throw an A minor in here."

Why not? It never hurts to know the name of the chord you're using at any given time, and when you really have time to think about all the notes you're playing like in a chord progression, it REALLY helps you and other people to expand on it when you know the key, associated modes and music direction.
If you're not thinking about where you want the music to go on some level, I think you're definately doing something wrong. I just can't fathom placing your hands in a position of the fretboard, playing a familiar shape and not thinking about its name and associated notes, chords and scales. Well, I can imagine it, but why on earth would you not think about where you're going? Or how you're going to resolve? Thinking of the interval distances, or accidentals?
It's like writing a book as you go along, with no idea what the climax is going to be, the characters involved, the plot or the message.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #79 on: 25 Dec 2007, 20:50 »

When I play guitar, I don't think.  Period.  I'm serious.  It's completely intuitive.  That doesn't mean I don't know on some level where the song is going or have any sense of dynamic.  Listen to the songs on my band's Myspace and you'll see that I definitely have structure and timing.  I'm just saying I don't consciously say things like "Hey guys, let's add X chord in here."  All songs evolve organically.

Seriously, what's with all the snobby constructionism?  Different people write music different ways.  No big deal.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #80 on: 25 Dec 2007, 21:03 »

Dude I was totally under the impression that you were the snobby on here, considering your early posts in the thread.

But basically I'm trying to violently pull information out of you so I can understand how to compose a whole song that isn't dissonant without taking any musical rules into consideration.

But during this post it occured to me that you probably do know a shitload of theory through experience and are merely ignorant of the names of what you're using. Fair game.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #81 on: 25 Dec 2007, 21:15 »

Exactly.  I "learned" theory before I learned the language of it.  So while I definitely don't make completely "dissonant" music - the songs have hooks and riffs and aren't just random noise - I don't actively consider the rules.  My playing follows the rules without my brain having to enter into it.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #82 on: 25 Dec 2007, 21:21 »

That makes a lot more sense than "fuck music theory/structure" which is what I'd assumed you were saying. That's how I roll. I may not know the names of every note or chord, but damned if I don't know how to do shit.

dalconnsuch

« Reply #83 on: 25 Dec 2007, 22:01 »

music theory is important on my opinion, music theory to me is a universal language of instruments and music itself, saying "fuck music theory" means well "fuck this C chord fuck that G chord fuck that pentatonic i keep playing i'm gonna rattle rattle rattle the instrument!" everything you do on the instrument whether you think so or not is owned by music theory, every chord is a simple evolution of chords that have evolved from thousands and thousands of years of musical evolution that became music theory, that G chord and that C chord is a simple 1-3-5- that just about all instruments interpret, it IS important, you don't have to know music theory but by george W bush's lonly brain cell! music theory IS the instrument and allows musicians to communicate with one another

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 26 Dec 2007, 08:05 »

....what?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #85 on: 26 Dec 2007, 08:10 »

I would totally fuck a C chord.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Lummer

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #86 on: 26 Dec 2007, 08:48 »

I just follow the little white dots on the fretboard..

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #87 on: 26 Dec 2007, 14:00 »

Dear dalconnsuch,

I think all of us would appreciate it if, when you decide to write a couple of sentences, you would actually designate the sentences with this little tool called "the period". See? I just used one right there! After all, you might have something really intelligent and thought out to say. I wouldn't actually know; I just kind of skip over your paragraphs because they are, at the moment, unreadable.

Sincerely,
Griffin
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #88 on: 26 Dec 2007, 15:26 »

I would totally fuck a C chord.

Who gives an Fmaj7?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #89 on: 26 Dec 2007, 16:17 »

Dear dalconnsuch,

I think all of us would appreciate it if, when you decide to write a couple of sentences, you would actually designate the sentences with this little tool called "the period". See? I just used one right there! After all, you might have something really intelligent and thought out to say. I wouldn't actually know; I just kind of skip over your paragraphs because they are, at the moment, unreadable.

P.S. I told you this like a week and a half ago too and you got all butthurt. No excuses now, sugar.

Kallahan

« Reply #90 on: 29 Dec 2007, 23:55 »

Weather or not to take lessons is really dependent on your style of learning. Some people do great just going off on their own, and some people do better with a little direction. Look back at your previous learning experiences, how did you get by, did you listen in class or study at home? Even if you are the learn by yourself type, if you get stuck try lessons, or vice a versa. I know my teacher has helped me a ton, even though in most things I learn on my own.

There are a few things I would suggest strongly however, first learn the type of music you are most interested in, then branch out. So many people buy the wrong gear and get the wrong instructor only to stop playing in 6 weeks because they wanted to learn AC/DC not Bach, in general most people pick up an instrument to learn to play music, not that instrument. you'll want to learn to play the instrument later as your musical vocab broadens.

Also take at least a months worth of lessons just to make sure your doing it right, holding the instrument incorrectly can do serious damage to your hands and can limit your playing ability significantly.

Learn some music theory, if you've got the cash and time take the first two semesters of music theory at your local community college (watch out for classes call aural comprehension, they are a bitch, think calculus 2 for music majors). Music theory is more like science than an arbitrary set of rules, it describes how things sound, and how to analyze music. knowledge will only set you free.

in the end, nothing is forbidden everything is permissible.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #91 on: 30 Dec 2007, 00:23 »

Dude it's "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."  Get it right.

Also: Lurk more.

doki

« Reply #92 on: 30 Dec 2007, 00:33 »

As a proud former strat owner who loved his guitar but had it stolen from under his nose let me just say the following:

FUCK YOU AND YOUR FREE FENDER GOD HOW I HATE YOU AND I DONT EVEN KNOW YOU GIMMIE THAT GUITAR!!

on a serious note, go strats, go strats, go strats

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #93 on: 30 Dec 2007, 01:02 »

basically srats arte fuck gitars

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #94 on: 30 Dec 2007, 01:05 »

Oh man, if you just compared me to a Strat that shit stings.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Kallahan

« Reply #95 on: 30 Dec 2007, 08:13 »

Dude it's "Nothing is true, everything is permitted."  Get it right.

Also: Lurk more.

ohh crap, I knew I'd screw it up. praise Bob.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up