THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [s]Peter Berg[/s] Pierre Morel confirmed for re-(re-)make of Dune  (Read 8119 times)

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...

It's true.

I don't know how I feel about it. David Lynch's version is terrible, but the Sci-Fi version is decent. However, I am pretty much up for anything Dune related, so long as it's not touched by Brian Herbert.
« Last Edit: 05 Jan 2010, 15:30 by mberan42 »
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
Re: Peter Berg confirmed for re-(re-)make of Dune
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2007, 21:41 »

Totally unneccessary.  Lynch's version was brilliant and the Sci-Fi channel ones were servicable.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2007, 23:12 »

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with zerodrone on this one, David Lynch's version kicked ass. I mean, come on, Sting? I've never actually read the books, but I rewatched Dune recently (it was on OnDemand, free movies) and the version I saw was David Lynch's film with like an hour long still image slideshow with exposition that I'm assuming was from the books, and that cleared things up for me a lot. As far as I'm concerned Dune will always be an awesome 80s sci-fi movie with just the slightest bit of cheesiness to it(the thoughts voiced out loud by the actors was a bit much).
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2007, 01:35 »

this is a rare thing. some great books got made into a movie twice and the movies were actually good! i don't think that has ever happened. ever.

so i'm assuming Dune has some kind of California-repelling field around it, therefore this remake will probably be good. right?

either that or it's way past due to suck. i guess we shall see.

edit: oh, nevermind. i just read the article and the words "cruise" and "tom" jumped right out at me. well, it was a fun dream while it lasted.
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2007, 01:38 by Scandanavian War Machine »
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2007, 06:35 »

I think that the adapations of Dune have been so good because the book is frankly incredibly boring and a long-winded mess.  Dune is basically the highbrow equivalent of Robert Jordan.  Plenty of people have pointed out how the Wheel of Time "borrows" so heavily from Dune that it's almost funny.

Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, surprisingly, were a fair bit more enjoyable and coherent.

After that, the series exploded into a mass of WTF.

And don't even get me started on the fucking atrocious "new" Dune books.  Ugh.

MadassAlex

• "Tasteful"?
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2007, 08:27 »

Yeah, I found the original incredibly boring when I was like, 13.

Years afterwards, I found it quite readable and enjoyable. I haven't read the others though. People tell me not to, and their pointy sticks are bigger than mine.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2007, 09:28 »

I think I was also 13 when I first read Dune.  I didn't go back and try to read it again until almost a decade later, and still found it boring as all get-out.  I was also annoyed at the sheer lack of explanation.  What exactly is an "Orange" Catholic church and what does it have to do with bitchy chicks who can control your mind?  I feel like a lot of the stuff was just thrown in for "weird" value without a lot of thought.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2007, 13:49 »

Yeah, I found the original incredibly boring when I was like, 13.

Years afterwards, I found it quite readable and enjoyable. I haven't read the others though. People tell me not to, and their pointy sticks are bigger than mine.

Frank Herbert's other Dune books are frequently really great, and well worth reading.  Avoid the ones his son has been writing like the plague.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2007, 19:00 »

And that is why he is the Tolkien of Sci-Fi

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2007, 22:15 »

When I was in 7th grade, our school library had an "Encyclopedia of Dune" that I checked out due to boredom one day and got totally wrapped up in this crazy setting. Then I read the books. Or rather, I read the first book and dug it for the most part. It was sci-fi political drama and it seemed weird and unique at the time. I couldn't get into the other ones.

I remember getting pissed off that the main character's sister was possessed by Baron Harkonen (who was her uncle, I think?) and ended up killing herself. It felt cruel to me, probably because she might have been my favorite character.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2007, 22:55 »

I think I was also 13 when I first read Dune.  I didn't go back and try to read it again until almost a decade later, and still found it boring as all get-out.  I was also annoyed at the sheer lack of explanation.  What exactly is an "Orange" Catholic church and what does it have to do with bitchy chicks who can control your mind?  I feel like a lot of the stuff was just thrown in for "weird" value without a lot of thought.

Sweet merciful spacechrist you're so incredibly wrong. Now I know opinions can't be wrong but you are, you just are. Lack of explanation? Everything is explained! EVERYTHING. There's an appendix for god's sake. If you don't pick it up from the text you can look it up without even going online. The entire backstory and mythos surrounding Dune is really only surpassed by a few fantasy authors. I wouldn't compare Herbert with Tolkien but there's a similar idea there I think.
but what you said about Brian Herbert is completely true. Nothing since Frank died has been worth piss.

You're still wrong though. It won two of the most recognized scifi awards during the years after it came out too.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

HighLordOmega

« Reply #11 on: 23 Dec 2007, 02:48 »

I read the first Four books. When they killed GodEmperor Leto I was just bummed out. Haven't read the last ones but I have heard good things.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #12 on: 23 Dec 2007, 10:54 »

Sweet merciful spacechrist you're so incredibly wrong. Now I know opinions can't be wrong but you are, you just are. Lack of explanation? Everything is explained! EVERYTHING. There's an appendix for god's sake. If you don't pick it up from the text you can look it up without even going online.

The copy I read didn't have an appendix.  And if I have to go outside the book to look up information on what things in the book means, that's a failing.

It has been quite a while since I read it, but I remember the plot pretty well and I seriously do not remember much explanation for what relation the "Orange Catholic church" had to Christianity or Catholicism at all.  I only barely remember there being much exposition in the story proper of the Butlerian Jihad.

But, carry on being a rabid fanboy, that's cool.

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2007, 12:33 »

I'm rather comfortable siding with a sizable portion of the sci-fi reading world in saying that you're missing something big.

A detailed explanation of religious practice really isn't necessary within the text of Dune. The amount of information that's suggested but not actually presented in the text is a large part of the reason it's considered such a masterful work in science fiction.

I'm less enthusiastic about the subsequent novels; there, the 'weird' factor does seem to take over at times. But Dune, as far as I'm concerned, is immaculate. It's in the top 5 or 10 books in science fiction, easy.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #14 on: 23 Dec 2007, 12:47 »

I understand that a lot of people love Dune, and I'm cool with that.  I just didn't like the first one very much.

I also hate the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

For sci-fi, I'm more a fan of Vonnegut, Philip K. Dick, William Gibson, Michael Swanwick, etc.  In other words, I really don't like "hard" sci-fi.  I like philosophical stories with shiny bits tacked on (and yes, I know Dune has philosophical/political meaning, but it's markedly different than the authors I mentioned above).  I think a big part of why I liked Dune Messiah so much more than Dune is that it was more philosophical.  Especially the ending.  Dear God, what a depressing ending.

Rizzo

• R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #15 on: 23 Dec 2007, 13:11 »

I found it most weird when he introduced Judeaism in book 6... Huh? How does that even connect?

Otherwise cool. I thought the series ended well. Brian really didn't need to continue it...
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2007, 21:25 »

I will go on record as saying that despite violating every goddamn rule of writing, Frank Herbert created as close to perfect as a book can be in Dune.
I have re-read the first one so many times that i can recite some passages verbatim.

Now, about movie versions:
-The David Lynch movie is lot's of fun as long as you don't relate it to the book at all.
-The Sci-Fi channel one was boring and terrible.

bff

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jan 2008, 20:11 »

the sci-fi version was very true to the book, but the Lynch version had MUCH better actors.

MusicScribbles

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • John Milton was a punk rocker.
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jan 2008, 22:50 »

At this point I don't think I care about a new movie. If it butchers the book, then that's what it does. The book is still there.
Some of Zerodrone's points ring pretty clearly, but I don't think that's the way the books are written. By not telling you much about this certain piece of culture, it is assumed that it is not important to the story. Either way, it was all a part of creating the illusion of another world, the world inside the pages of Dune. I tend to really enjoy epic storytelling anyway, which is why I can push aside the obvious flaws in certain long-adventure fiction. I also have an infatuation with the authors Zero listed. I love Vonnegut and PKD, but in the end reading is just fun, and Dune has provided escapist fun for many, many people. In this, the book is a masterpiece, but maybe not for any other reasons.
I GUESS WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS THAT IT IS ALL RELATIVE ASSHOLES.
Quote from: Tommydski
Listen to SLOAN you CUNTS.

el_loco_avs

• Furry furrier
« Reply #19 on: 10 Jan 2008, 06:37 »

Sweet merciful spacechrist you're so incredibly wrong. Now I know opinions can't be wrong but you are, you just are. Lack of explanation? Everything is explained! EVERYTHING. There's an appendix for god's sake. If you don't pick it up from the text you can look it up without even going online.

The copy I read didn't have an appendix.  And if I have to go outside the book to look up information on what things in the book means, that's a failing.

It has been quite a while since I read it, but I remember the plot pretty well and I seriously do not remember much explanation for what relation the "Orange Catholic church" had to Christianity or Catholicism at all.  I only barely remember there being much exposition in the story proper of the Butlerian Jihad.

But, carry on being a rabid fanboy, that's cool.

well it kinda works like Tolkien with the appendix. I can imagine feeling lost without it but i think that *not* explaining it in the main text helps immersion and such.
I loved the implication with Orange Catholic that Protestant and Catholics reunited in the future.

mberan42

• Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #20 on: 05 Jan 2010, 15:30 »

My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch

Morel does not make me happy.  Transporter, War Inc, Unleashed?  And now.....Dune?  I'm very curious to see why he was chosen. 

As far as it goes I've never seen the Lynch version and I don't really plan to either.  The miniseries I felt betrayed the character of Paul so, so much that it became hard for me to watch.  The point is that he is incredibly intelligent and very strong but he's lived a completely sheltered life.  The showed that very early in the book and in the miniseries Paul was very....naive and was stupid in ways he wasn't supposed to be.  The scene very early in the book where they have a dinner bothered me very, very much.  I had a couple arguments with my friend, who's never read the book, over the miniseries.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.

The Lynch version was okay. Maybe a little more than that but certainly not earth shattering. The sci-fi thing was a drag to get through. I'm sort of hoping for a verson of the book that actually has the same quality of the book because it is really excellent. the whole series is excellent in my view. Except the new ones of course. There is just no excuse for the amount of violence done to the legacy of Frank Herbert.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jan 2010, 03:18 »

Berg is out; Pierre Morel (Taken) is in.

http://io9.com/5440065/dune-remake-gets-a-hotshot-new-director
Wow this is going to blow.

It's Romanek ditching The Wolfman all over again.
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK
Pages: [1]   Go Up