THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 13:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cintiq Envy?  (Read 6644 times)

BoutASouffle

Cintiq Envy?
« on: 21 Dec 2007, 22:01 »

So it looks like somebody got a new Cintiq (*coughJephcough*)  and I for one am really envious. I work on a wacom tablet at home, but I had the opportunity to use Cintiqs for my myriad animation classes this semester.

I was wondering if anyone else on here has used one. If so, how do you feel they compare to regular tablets?

For me, they definitely were more intuitive than a regular Wacom since it's closer to drawing on paper, but I actually found that using the tablet has its advantages. Since maneuvering the cursor is a little more difficult, I found myself thinking out shapes more before I drew them. I also used broader, more solid lines because it is difficult to do something thin and sketchy on a tablet (especially on my dinky 4x6" one that is clearly marketed for children). So while I really like sketching on a Cintiq, I find inking on a tablet really rewarding.

Granted, when you suck at drawing as much as I do, no amount of fancy equipment is going to make things better.

Any other thoughts?

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
Re: Cintiq Envy?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2007, 22:13 »

I'm fairly certain that this thread might do better in the Comics and Drawing forum.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

BoutASouffle

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2007, 22:14 »

Ack... You're right. Sorry! Is there a way to move it? I can't find one in the "Help" section.

I'm going to go hide my face in shame now.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 22:16 by BoutASouffle »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2007, 22:26 »

Just ask a mod to. Most likely one of them will catch it and do it eventually.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Cam

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #4 on: 03 Jan 2008, 11:03 »

I just use a tablet PC.  So, my experience is more like a Cintiq then a standard tablet.  I have no desire to use just a tablet ever again.  Seeing what you are drawing while drawing it is just the way to go.  To do so digitally, can be much more expensive, but is worth it if you have the cash.

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #5 on: 09 Jan 2008, 15:49 »

I'm pretty sure everyone who had ever used a tablet has Cintiq envy, regardless of drawing ability or salary. My friend has stated that he would kill someone for one.
It does seem like the Cintiq would be lots of fun, though.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

BoutASouffle

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2008, 20:14 »

I'm pretty sure everyone who had ever used a tablet has Cintiq envy, regardless of drawing ability or salary. My friend has stated that he would kill someone for one.
It does seem like the Cintiq would be lots of fun, though.

I think you're right about every tablet user having Cintiq envy... I guess I'm just wondering if there's a few strays out there who don't. I was surprised to find myself working on the tablet a lot even though I had access to Cintiqs for quite a while. Something about the thought-process that goes though planning your strokes on a tablet helps me think out the shapes a little better. Granted, I suck at art either way... But maybe that's while I over-mechanize it? I guess the Cintiq's temptation to rely more on intuition than technique screws me up a bit?

Just a thought, though.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2008, 17:20 »

The Cintiq, even the tiny 12" one I have, is so much better it is not even funny.

If you can save up $400 for a fancy Intuos you may as well save up another $500 and just buy the Cintiq.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

OrigNES

• Plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2008, 05:03 »

I'd like to get a Cintiq but then I also like P-Active's XPC-1710A
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it. " - Edgar Allan Poe

Cam

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2008, 09:08 »

Jeph speaks massive amounts of truth here.  There is no comparison.

BoutASouffle

« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2008, 13:50 »

The Cintiq, even the tiny 12" one I have, is so much better it is not even funny.

If you can save up $400 for a fancy Intuos you may as well save up another $500 and just buy the Cintiq.

True, true... Granted, I'm still working on a $100 Wacom that is clearly marketed towards children and soccer moms. I think secretly I'm just very jealous.

Neuvost

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2008, 02:12 »

Where did you get a Cintiq for $500, Jeph? The Wacom website lists them for a grand. I figure you can find it cheeper than that, but half? That's something!

GenericName

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2008, 09:50 »

He meant $500 in addition to the $400 you already saved up, I think.
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

Neuvost

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2008, 20:37 »

He meant $500 in addition to the $400 you already saved up, I think.
Whups. Misread that.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2008, 21:11 »

They're pretty new, so I wouldn't expect to see any refurbs on sale for a while, but keep your eyes peeled. Wacom refurbs are where it is AT when it comes to savin' money.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2008, 21:46 »

I don't have any drawing talent, but my brother does and uses a Wacom tablet for his Web Design stuff.
So I'm going to be envious by proxy.

:x <-------------Oooooooooooooooooh I am envious
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys
Pages: [1]   Go Up