THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Knitting Thread (And spinning) (And crochet too I guess)  (Read 158320 times)

Raven JR

I'm a crochet newbie, and an even bigger knitting newbie, though I havepicked them up pretty fast. My first knitting project is a scarf with a cat face on it done in shadow knitting. (If you don't know what Shadow Knitting is, here is a good example: http://site.voila.fr/cheapknitter/pillow.html ) I've done 3 scarves with my crochet, and a hat that is simply waiting to be finished, and I am almost done with a blanket for my cousin. And, like any good yarn jumkie, I have about 30 projects in my cue. Pictures will be coming soon. :)

phoenixineohp

i crocheted an octopus.

be in awe of its cuteness.

I love it! (So much so that I registered to post...)
It looks like the one from the knit.1 magazine, only with thicker legs. How did you attach them and do the bottom?

I'm a beginner knitter. I do scarves. Exclusively. I'm thinking of venturing into hats. Maybe even a knit purl pattern. So far I can't crochet. Need to learn properly. But I'm hopeful. In the mean time I'll stick to churning out scarves. I've got a small mountain of yarns to use up. :P

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time

the bottom is a crocheted circle stitched on to the dome body, the legs are tubes sewn shut at the top and stitched around the base.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Aristaia

My first scarf!  It was a pattern designed to teach garter, stockinette, and ribbing.  Now I'm trying to make a baby blanket and twisting stitches.  (I do not like these wacky circular needles!)  So I'll make a bib instead.

mymms

No pictures but I'm in the midst of my first actual, non-accessory garment - an olive-green swing cardigan, designed for Rowan Big Wool but I'm obviously using an affordable substitute. Knitting on 10mm really does go fast; in only 3 days I've just about finished the back already!

The excitement!

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

hi guys

hatttttttttt
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

Aristaia

Are those dpns on your head, or are you just happy to see me?   :wink:  (great looking hat!  I love the pattern.)

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

the hat has since been finished... i am no longer dpnhead.

idiosyncratic

• Not quite a lurker

Hey there!  I thought that I would come and say hello and share the hat that I just finished and the scarf that I am working on:

Hat!

Argyle Scarf!

This scarf is actually five times the length it was in this photo, but I haven't taken any new photos as of yet.  I just wanted to participate in the knitting awesomeness.  :)
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

imbemenelien

Hey there!  I thought that I would come and say hello and share the hat that I just finished and the scarf that I am working on:

Hat!

Love the hat! It's super cute, did you use dpns or circs?

idiosyncratic

• Not quite a lurker

Thank you!  :)  I used circs and then switched to dpns at the top.
"He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it."

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

ooohh double knitting. i have not tried that yet.

idiosyncratic

• Not quite a lurker

Double knitting is pretty fun.  This is my first project using that technique and I am quite happy with it.  It isn't as difficult as I was expecting it to be either, it just takes quite a long time to do.  :) 

Jepser

• Larger than most fish

Lol, my mom and sisters are really into knitting. Their conversations about it sometimes sound like a Freemasonry meeting to me. xD They make rad looking stuff, though.
I wasn't going to d/l any of that, but once I read "oldest lesbian", I kind of had to.

MissZahrah

*waves furiously*

Hihihi!!

I spin!  wool, alpaca, silk, bamboo, cat...

I weave too,  *grin*

dont' knit or crochet, though.  will fix that someday.

Lines

• Awakened

I am pretty much addicted to Ravelry now. But that's good, because I have made 4 hats in the past two weeks. (Will upload photos tomorrow.)

Pictures!

Dobby Hat!

Green hat (yes, the same yarn that idiosyncratic used)

More Fake Isle hats

« Last Edit: 06 Aug 2008, 19:32 by Linds »
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

ooooohhh nice hats, linds!

i made a hat too! i already posted it in the fashion advice thread because i want to know if it is too ridiculous to wear. but here it is again.

Notus

you have kindled the want for me to learn knitting, i really want to knit a scarf or hat or something now (and i look cute in hats)

ive been wanting a hobby of some sort for a while now

Im okay at mindless repetitive tasks too, i used to play a mmorpg :D

how do i...

what do i do to start making super cute hats?

also i am a guy *waves*

just because genders are nice to know... :x

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

to make super cute hats... well first i would recommend that you learn how to knit. do you know a person that knits? it is best to learn from a real person. so find a friend or relative that knows how and have them teach you. if you don't know anyone that knits, try learning from videos on the immernets. www.knittinghelp.com is a good start, but you can also search on youtube for knitting videos. once you have the basics down, learn to knit in the round and on double pointed needles, since that is the common way to knit hats. then i guess... find a hat pattern you like and knit it. yaaaaay.

Notus

thankies n.n...

ill go do that soon

i really wanna make everyone hats for christmas

i'd save money on wrapping :D

n.n

Lines

• Awakened

Did you knit that in the round or in one block and seam the sides? The embroidery and buttons give a nice touch. :)

The way I learned to knit was first from a person: she showed me how to cast on and how to do garter stitch (your most basic stitch). I made a bunch of scarves this way until I mastered it and then I moved on to hats and knitting in the round. That knitting site Yelley posted is really helpful (and free!) and you can also find all sorts of free patterns online as well. Knitting hats isn't too hard and double pointed needles aren't hard to use, either. Hats are fun! Just find some patterns you like and go shopping for yarn and needles!

I started making some socks! This is my first pair and they're coming along nicely. I started with this pattern because it didn't look to complicated and it isn't, so I think I'm going to go shopping for some sock yarn and find a more complicated pattern.

Yelley, do you know how to prevent holes on the sides of the heel? I picked up extra stitches like the pattern suggested, but I guess I picked up ones in the wrong spot as there are still small holes.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

yay socks! yesh, you should twist the stitches that you pick up to close up the holes. knit them in the back loops and the holes will be smaller.

i knit it in round for 7 inches then used 3 needle bind off. the seam is sort of noticeable, but i don't know how to graft in seed stitch and i was too lazy to learn. ^_^

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

This is quite possibly the greatest thing I have ever seen.

http://themarioscarf.blogspot.com/
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Notus

Hmmm

I'm gonna try knitting scarves first n.n"

I'm gonna go out with some friends and get some yarn/wool/thread whatever is cheap!

then I'll knit some really basic scarves from that site you sent me (thanks for that n.n)

I'm really excited

Thank you :3

Knitting is faaaaar harder than i thought :(

I can cast on well

I just can't knit
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2008, 11:05 by Notus »

Lines

• Awakened

Practice! When you're first starting out, it isn't easy, but once you get the hang of it, it really isn't. More than anything, it's knowing how to hold stuff and how to position your hands.

Notus

I think the thread wool stuff I got might not be the best to use

Its really fluffy and i can barely see what's what

plus its black which confuses things even more

and the tendrils keep getting caught

so tomorrow I'm gonna go out and get some better wool yarn stuff

nice bright colourful yarn

That isn't tendrilly and fluffy

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn

Light colored, not too fuzzy yarn is best to start with. Good luck shopping for something awesome!
Ho, ho, ho!

AcrophobicPixie

It's been forever and a day since I've posted here. I'm still with the crochet, and I'm halfway through a sock I'm designing (with help from my LYS yarn lady :D)

No pics of the sock, but here's a couple amigurumi I made. A totally confuzzled dragon (modified from MarjorieCrochet's pattern) and the great FSM and baby FSM (my own design)

Group shot before getting packed to go to their new home
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/AcrophobicPixie/Dee%20Trip/?action=view&current=DSCI0380.jpg

Dragon say what?
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/AcrophobicPixie/Dee%20Trip/?action=view&current=DSCI0367.jpg
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/AcrophobicPixie/Dee%20Trip/?action=view&current=DSCI0369.jpg

FSM happy family
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/AcrophobicPixie/Dee%20Trip/?action=view&current=DSCI0379.jpg

Baby FSM for size reference
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/AcrophobicPixie/Dee%20Trip/?action=view&current=DSCI0377.jpg

Photobucket is acting like it's the devil or something, and won't let me rotate or resize the pictures for some reason, so links is what you get for now. :)
And Seńor Dragon? He's apparently a metal head. The guy who got him was bopping around, and the motion made Dragon's floppy head bob like a headbanger. :)

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK

Hey guys! Alpaca yarn was on sale today! So I bought quite a bit, though I have no ideas on what to knit. Help? Maybe an argyle scarf, like someone posted above. Does anybody have a pattern? Or other suggestions.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

Still working on these goddamn socks, and I'm starting to wonder if I will ever finish. The five needles-thing is a bitch (especially combined with ribbed knitting), but I waaant them done soon, bcause it is wool sock-time again.

Short, circular needles (as in short enough to do socks), do they exist? I feel like I'll want to make more socks, because they are practical and I am addicted to wool socks from about October to March, but the leg and "long" part of the foot is frustrating. Once I get down to the heel and toe, it's okay, because then I have to concentrate on other things, so I forget about the stupid needles.

ETA: Also! Suggestions to what I can make out of the left overs of this yarn? There isn't much, but a little bit. Something fairly small that could look okay with these kinds of random stripes?
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2008, 15:52 by Ladybug »

Anastrianna

Yikes! I am exciting to see a knitting/crochet thread in here!!! *happy dance*

I learned to crochet a while ago and have crochet a few scarves and my favorite blanket. I am currently working on a messenger bag, but i missed place my hook in moving....*sad*.

I practically LIVE in my local yarn shop and it is AMAZING! I am there some much that I practically work there....I even get free yarn for helping out. And free yarn is always a bonus! But after about a year and a half of nagging, I gave in and learned to knit. I've knitting scarves and now I am working on a belt and a neck tie. I love it! It's a nice distraction.

And as for yearn choice, I read a couple posts about Lion Brand. It is a good brand, but I feel spoiled. I get discounts on such great yarn that I lump Lion Brand in with Red Heart...something I only use for side projects or if I am mass producing something (like scarves for presents). Not saying they aren't good, cause I started out with them too. But Right now, I love a lot of stuff by Universal Yarns and Dark Horse yarns.

I will get pictures of my projects up soon, to share with everyone, when I get batteries for my camera again.

Anywho. I 'll cut this here before it comes a novel. Happy Knitting and Crocheting!!

(If anyone is on Ravelry.com look me up!! my username is kmckean87)

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

Short, circular needles (as in short enough to do socks), do they exist? I feel like I'll want to make more socks, because they are practical and I am addicted to wool socks from about October to March, but the leg and "long" part of the foot is frustrating. Once I get down to the heel and toe, it's okay, because then I have to concentrate on other things, so I forget about the stupid needles.

ETA: Also! Suggestions to what I can make out of the left overs of this yarn? There isn't much, but a little bit. Something fairly small that could look okay with these kinds of random stripes?

yes, those sorts of needles exist. i know that addi turbos come in 12 inch size, which are supposedly used for making socks. i bought one to try it out and i defy anyone to actually make a sock on that thing. i knit half a round and then wanted to chop my hands off to make the pain stop.

ipod/mp3player/cell phone sock? bookmarks? toe hats?

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

I started this after complaining about the socks, and finished it today while lying home, sick. I was going to do it in an alpaca silk blend, but realized I didn't really have money to waste on that, and I'd have to wait for shipping etc, so I did it in this wool/nylon blend I had lying around instead. Fairly satisfied with it, I think. Also think I might actually try something with a pattern for my next project (which I will not start before finishing the socks).

(Ignore the needle - I forgot to remove it pre-photos.)

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

hatttttt for jason's brother. getting started earlyish on the christmas knitting. early for me, at least.

Lines

• Awakened

Nice!

Lines

• Awakened

I have a pattern for super easy ones if you want me to PM it to you. It basically consists of a tube with a hole in it for your thumb. I think that was the first thing I learned how to make after scarves.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

jens my first knitting project was cabled fingerless mitts... i think you can do it! it might be tricky if you want individual fingerholes, though.

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck

Linds, PM it to me too, please.

Lines

• Awakened

I'll just post the pattern here later then, haha.

Edit: On second thought, I'm going to scan it. I'm too afraid to type the whole thing out, but I will clarify some things.
« Last Edit: 21 Oct 2008, 07:55 by Linds »

Lines

• Awakened

Fingerless gloves!

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/andthentherewaslindsey/pg1.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/andthentherewaslindsey/pg2.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/andthentherewaslindsey/pg3.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/andthentherewaslindsey/pg4.jpg

I would suggest a worsted weight yarn and whatever needles are recommended with the weight of the yarn. (Probably US 7 size.) And to figure out how many stitches per inch, knit a small square and count the stitches it takes to make up an inch! If you guys have more questions, ask away. If you have problems with abbreviations or how to do something, there are several websites out there that can help and I'm sure several have been posted in this thread before.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

http://garnstudio.com/lang/no/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=110&d_id=35&lang=no if you want a Norwegian version, that uses our sizing and stuff, but translating English stuff isn't too difficult.

Do any of you read any knitting blogs or something? I've sort of started to find some I like, but there are a lot of not-very-interesting ones out there. I really love http://brooklyntweed.blogspot.com, though.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

Sock #2 only took like 8 frickin' months. Lessons learned: Knit both socks simultaneously, both to prevent spending X months on sock #2 and also because when there's a point when I'm not sure what to do and end up improvising, improvising in the same way on both socks (or gloves/mittens, I guess) might be an advantage, instead of forgetting what I did on #1.

(Cell phone photos, so the colors aren't great, but I think photo 2 is almost right.)

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

those are great socks! and good cell phone pictures... my cell phone takes junky pictures.

i am making christmas stockings for me and jason! i am still on stocking number one, but i'm happy with how it is turning out so far. fair isle is fun.

Lines

• Awakened

Pretty socks!

All I'm working on at the moment is a hat for Jimmy, but it's not interesting enough for a picture right now. It's a 2in band of black, but there will be some grey on it soon.

Wilde

6" dpn both in beautiful dyed wood and in coated metal available from www.knitpicks.com .... my favorite online lys

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

I want some of you talented knitters to start doing this: http://crispgreen.com/2008/11/non-toxic-taggers-strike/

Report in to me when your mission is accomplished.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp

Oh my god that is way hardcore and makes me want to know how to knit.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Lines

• Awakened

That is pretty awesome.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

I finished another hat today, but I don't think I like it. It's warm and I like how even I made the top, plus it allowed me lots of stranding-practice (I screwed up the pattern a coule of times on the first row of squares, but couldn't be bothered to fix it :p), but it's just..not me at all, which I guess I knew, but I wanted to make it anyways :p Maybe I'll ask one of my brothers if he wants it, but I doubt it'll fit his giant head (and that he'll want it). I also think the double hem-thingy sort of messed with the pattern, because it got stretched out, even though I used smaller needles. However, it's nice to have tried making one. Aanyways, pictures, with a bonus wonderfully soft yarn in one. It is 100% alpaca, and it is so wonderful (and expensive :p) that I'm afraid to knit something out of it, in case I mess it up :p I'm considering http://evasunivers.blogspot.com/2007/08/made-by-eva-nr-1.html , but I'm not sure :/ Suggestions would be appreciated! It is a fairly thick yarn, as you might see.

It is fairly obvious in that last picture how it gets less messed up as I approach the top :p
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2008, 18:43 by Ladybug »

Lines

• Awakened

I finished a Dobby hat for Jimmy last night. (Sorry for the camera phone photo.) I am proud of it! I edited the pattern a tad to make it bigger and also a little bit longer. I also didn't do the edges the way the pattern said, so my stitching looks a ton better (or at least I think so, it's not an obvious stitch up anyways.)

And now I'm going to teach myself how to double knit and make a scarf for Shane. This'll be fun. Edit: I'm making this in green and cream. It'll be pretty awesome.
« Last Edit: 21 Nov 2008, 07:54 by Linds »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up