THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Knitting Thread (And spinning) (And crochet too I guess)  (Read 158297 times)

Lines

• Awakened

Strike that, I'm making shane a tetris scarf.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm

Oh fuck I want a Tetris scarf.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Lines

• Awakened

I will share the pattern, as I am not a fan of knitting scarves. But I made a promise.

(Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this thing right now, but after a foot, I mostly likely won't anymore.)

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

It was supposed to be a bit longer, but I liked it better this way, also I didn't have anough yarn for two more sections of 3xpurl row. But it is all kinds of warm and soft, and I absolutely love it.

I'm currently knitting Manly Mitts, but they might take forever, due to exams and stuff. And I'm not sure if I'll use the exact pattern or if I'll change it up a bit with a different kind of thumb and top.

Pictures taken in the bathroom because after like 4pm, the lighting in my dorm room is crap.
« Last Edit: 23 Nov 2008, 10:22 by Ladybug »

carl marx

heyheyhey!
im gonna make my 1st post here an epic spam session for all the crap ive crocheted in the past couple months:

so, like alot of people here i made the worry hat from 1203, but then i went on to make...

the slightly ridiculous hat!!! it was never shown in the comic so i just went ahead and made it as retarded as possible :/

oh my yes. i finally got around to starting my fursuit, and this is the 1st part of it. i still havent made all the innards, but i just wanted to post this cos im so happy with how it turned out

lol rasta collar. cartman doesnt seem to like it.

kk's ^.^ hat. ears have pipecleaners in them so theyre poseable

neon argyle hat

have a looksee at my deviantart http://crazycarlscrochet.deviantart.com/ for witty and informative captions and stuff :P
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2008, 07:13 by carl marx »

Lines

• Awakened

Holy crap large photos.

That silly hat is super silly and fun.

Jillybean

Oh wow - knitted belt. I am incredibilised. Will that even work?

tehfedaykin

I want to start knitting just to take part in this amazing project.

http://deputy-dog.com/2008/11/urban-knitting-worlds-most-inoffensive.html

lily-kiernan

I want to start knitting just to take part in this amazing project.

http://deputy-dog.com/2008/11/urban-knitting-worlds-most-inoffensive.html

Dear. Lord.

That is AWESOME

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man

I just had to stop by and say I love you guys, please totally knit more, I love knitting stuff. I wish I could knit better/for longer, I apparently cannot do it for more than a few minutes without pain. So knit extra for me this holiday please!
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

carl marx

Oh wow - knitted belt. I am incredibilised. Will that even work?
yeah its holding up pretty f'n well, even survived a dance party i went to last week

SnarkyShark

Wow, all of the scarves and hats are amazing. :] I started crocheting very recently, so I'm not that great yet. I'll post a picture of the lime green scarf I'm making once I find my camera, though. It seems to keep getting a little wider, but I don't know if I'm doing too many stitches or if it's pretty much an optical illusion.  :roll: Time will tell. :]

But yeah, great job everyone!

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

I've joined a hat knit-along, and I just finished the January one, called The Boy Hat. Very straightforward pattern, with a slightly different decrease (doesn't really show in my picture, though). I love the fit of this one, actually, after knitting it a bit longer than it was supposed to be (about 7" pre-decrease). Probably not warm enough if it's very windy, but should be okay otherwise. I wonder what I'll do with all these hats, if I actually manage to knit all of them. A couple of gifts, maybe, but hm.

I've noticed that whenever I do ribbing, the last knit stitch on every knit column gets too loose, and even though I try to rectify this as I knit, it just..doesn't work. Annoying.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Does anyone have a super-simple pattern for making a frog hat? By a frog hat I basically mean just a hat that looks like a frog, I get the feeling from googling that frog can mean something else in knitting terms (perhaps what I'd call fudging? Making it up?)

Anyway I want to knit more and I also want to make a frog hat. All the patterns I found were for tiny baby hats or crocheting and I can't do that.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

Frogging means..undoing what you've already knit, I guess.

There are a couple of (free) frog hat patterns on Ravelry, as far as I can see, don't know if you have an account there? You should definitely get one, it's kinda great.

missrachel

I learned to knit over Thanksgiving break, and knitted two scarfs as Christmas presents.  :]  I like knitting and find it relaxing, and I can do it while doing other things.

Is knitting in the round very difficult?  I've been wanting to tackle a hat.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

I find knitting in the round way easier, actually, but I don't know if that's a common thing or not. Once you've joined the ends after casting on, which is basically just knitting them together while making sure nothing is twisted, you just..knit and knit and then maybe purl some if you want ribbing :p And hats are fun to make, I think, because they're usually pretty fast. I still haven't knitted any scarves because I think I'd get tired of it after like 20cm.

I finished my Manly Mitts, btw! I actually really, really like them and want them for myself, but seeing as they're "manly", they're too big for me, obviously. Might make a new pair and modify the pattern a bit, because they're awesomely snug and warm.

bluerobin427

So I love QC and all, but this thread is what made me register for the forums. 

And it's also making me want to relearn how to knit and crochet.  My mom taught me at one point and I had a set of needles, but I have no idea where it all went (probably still at my parent's house).  Anyway, there a store down the street that I think has knitting stuff (it's called Country Stitches or something, so it's bound to have SOMETHING... I guess Meijer will if nothing else), so I'll probably go today and pick up replacements. 

EDIT: Knitty.com looks pretty much awesome and I requested an invite from Ravelry, so hopefully those two combined will help hold my knitting interest.  I really want to make these gloves but I'm VERY rusty so I'll probably start with something easier.
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2009, 11:51 by bluerobin427 »

Freddybear

• Not quite a lurker

Here is a pair of crochet gloves which I just finished.

And a little whale:

He needs a mouth but I can't decide how I want to do it.

bluerobin427

Haha I like them both, especially the whale. 

Also, apparently "Country Stitches" is a quilting place  :| Oh well.

Freddybear

• Not quite a lurker

The whale is from a japanese pattern I found linked here: http://snuffykin.livejournal.com/55321.html

bluerobin427

Oh thanks looks neat.  Now I just need to make time to start knitting or crocheting something.  :oops:

missrachel

So is it possible to knit a hat with flat needles?  I'm a broke college kid and don't really wanna spend money on round needles... :[

Freddybear

• Not quite a lurker

I guess you could knit flat pieces, sort of triangles, and then sew them together.

bluerobin427

Yahoo answers has a really good reply for this actually (from what I can tell, anyway.  It seems like it would work well)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080303144527AAjJxcP

Lines

• Awakened

There are patterns out there that don't have to be knit in the round. I would recommend learning the mattress stitch if you do not already know how to do so, though.

pen

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Spaghetti!!!

Ya know, I've only looked in this thread maybe once before, but wow, you guys make some neat stuff!  When I think of knitting, I think of the hideous sweaters that my grandmother used to give me for christmas that I never wore, but you have shown me the light!  haha  Maybe I'll pick this up at some point, but tell me... is this an expensive hobby? 
Cross-dressing national monuments are always exciting.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek

All hobbies are expensive if approached correctly.  However, knitting is not one of the most expensive. 
a 'dčanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeňid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

bluerobin427

Woohoo just got my invite for Ravelry.  I'm on as bluerobin427 there too.  I'm noticing an interesting trend with science people who are also knitters/crocheters.  Anyway, I'm happy to be part of that trend!  Now... off to do science then look up some knitting patterns to get my feet wet again.

Also, it seems to me that knitting can be pretty cheap (and you can get pretty good quality stuff for cheap if you have a good source), but it can also get quite pricey if you go for high end materials (like most other hobbies). 
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2009, 10:27 by bluerobin427 »

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz

I acquired a book of stitches and pattern that was my mother's but she probably hasn't looked at in years. I'm not that confident a knitter, so I figure doing little swatches of the different stitches will be a good way to start.
Here we have "Landsdowne's Knitting: A Illustrated pocket guide to over 90 beautiful patterns"

You can tell it was first published in the 70's cant you?
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

bluerobin427

haha nice.  Even if there aren't patterns in there you like, it looks like there are good techniques to learn.  I have a "learn to knit" book from my mom, but I ended up going to knittinghelp.com for their videos because I needed so see the needles moving.   :|

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz

Yeah, there are different stitches in there that I am going to try out just to experiment, I just found some of the stuff hilariously kitschy. I think I might have had a jumper with that sheep pattern when I was a kid.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time

hey rachel, knitting can be inexpensive (www.knitpicks.com) unless you are like me (www.allnoro.com).
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

I think knitting is like a lot other hobbies - you often start out (relatively) cheap and then realize you want to spend a whole lot more money than you planned on, but it's not necessary.

I finished two projects yesterday. One is a pair of socks knitted from a traditional pattern (though slightly modified by me, didn't like parts of it) and the other is the hat for February, called Stripey. I'm pretty satisified with both, but the socks have some "concentration errors", where I couldn't be bothered to frog rounds to fix wrong stitches, so there are a couple of those here and there, and I'm not too big on the color combo. Figured I'd use up the yarn I had lying around, but ended up having to buy more, and now I have about the same amount leftover. Great. Anyways, first project with an afterthought heel, and it was scary, but kinda cool that it worked.

(Heel is same kind of "pointy" shape as the toe, bottom of sock is a kind of grid, back is the same as the front.)

Lines

• Awakened

The DPNs I buy typically cost only slightly more than straight needles. Yeah, there are more of them, but they are also smaller. And circulars are only good, I've noticed, when you're working top down, because you can do magic loop. But I still like working bottom up because you can pull the top tighter when you close it off.

I am making these!

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

you can do magic loop toe up too. that is how i do my socks.
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

keeperoflore

• Plantmonster

Well im trying to make a scarf like that of Dominic Deegan from http://www.dominic-deegan.com/, but i cant seem to get this knitting thing down very well, i know how to knot, i just end up screwing up big time somewhere and end up having to start over

any advice?

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

It's kind of impossible to give advice without knowing what your specific problems are.. If you just make random mistakes, then maybe slowing down or just knitting a bunch will help, but if you have specific issues or things you screw up on, giving advice without knowing what your issues are is sort of impossible.

keeperoflore

• Plantmonster

yeah i kinda posted that while half-asleep, anyway i figured out what i was dong wrong, i just suck at knitting fast, so i slowed down and it worked out, thanks for the tip anyway though.

Serene

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Since this is the crochet thread too, I guess I'll add my contribution here.

Couple weeks back Faye proposed the idea of being muffin Cthulhu, well it inspired me to make this, although it did come out more cupcake Cthulhu.

I had some neon green yarn lying around from a project when I was a kid, and couldn't resist using it.  The eyes are actually the tops of snap buttons found in the sewing section.

Lines

• Awakened

Cute!

I finished my socks. Yeah, there's a hole on the right one in the corner, but I fixed the problem in the other sock and I think it'll shrink when I wash them.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

those are some awesome socks. i think i would just stitch the hole up a bit, but see how they are after a wash.

keeperoflore

• Plantmonster

Since this is the crochet thread too, I guess I'll add my contribution here.

Couple weeks back Faye proposed the idea of being muffin Cthulhu, well it inspired me to make this, although it did come out more cupcake Cthulhu.

I had some neon green yarn lying around from a project when I was a kid, and couldn't resist using it.  The eyes are actually the tops of snap buttons found in the sewing section.

i think i need to pick up crochet as well, cause that is something i can get behind....

Serene

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Hehe, thanks.  I had put aside crocheting for a while because I got bored making "normal" afghans, scarves, and plushies.  So after I finished college I got the ambition to pick it up again and actually make my own patterns.  I also make some things like this:

And this:

My crazy friend has begged me for the hat and since then beholders are becoming my insignia for my eventual etsy store.
« Last Edit: 03 Mar 2009, 15:45 by Serene »

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!

Guys I have some requests.

I spin, by the way. On a wheel. Just tell me what colours and what ply and what fiber content you prefer. I could totally provide yarn for these.

(my birthday is in june)

(my address is on facebook)
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2009, 11:00 by calenlass »
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Lines

• Awakened

Uh, Yelley? Paging Yelley to this thread.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.

*swoop* yes?

oh, amigurumi. fuck amigurumi.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!

But... but... sea dragons!

Oh poo.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Well I finished the scarf I was knitting for Edith (it's more than five feet long!) and I've started knitting a pullover but it will take me years to finish because I'm only halfway through the ribbing and I've been knitting it for three days solid.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

I'm working on two pairs of socks right now (jaywalkers and brainless), but I was dumb and started the brainless ones before I finished the jaywalkers, and the brainless yarn is sooo pretty that working on the jaywalkers (even though I'm past the heel on both) sucks in comparison.

Kinda lies a little bit, as the yarn is darker irl, but still. Pretty yarn <3
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up