THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Knitting Thread (And spinning) (And crochet too I guess)  (Read 158289 times)

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

Done! Kind of, haven't weaved in the ends, because I hate that, but I want them marked as finished on Ravelry, so I might do it soon.

Barmymoo

• Mentat

It is not really knitting or crotcheting or spinning but I didn't think it really warranted a new thread.

Jackets for rescued battery hens! They are made of felt but there was, at one point, a knitting pattern which I wanted to use. Sadly I didn't get to it quickly enough so I guess I need to buy some felt.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

Hermione's Cable & Eyelet Hat, summer version? Sort of really boring to knit, though I'm not sure why.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome

Thought I'd start my first post with something little but fun I made for my boyfriend (seen modelling here eh-hum!)

I used quite chunky wool, so it came out huge, but he has long fingers so it doesn't look too terrible. I have since made around ten of these (With fleash coloured wool & a fair bit smaller) for little presents. I need a really good project to sink my teeth into, but can't seem to find a single pattern that really inspires me.
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz

I am trying to knit my first sock ever! I normally only knit scarves, but have gotten bored of that and socks seem like a good thing to try. Yelley gave me a link to Silver's Sock Tutorial, so I am following that with some yarn I bought years ago for a scarf that I never did.

Four needles are really awkward! I am kinda getting used to them, but still end up holding them strangely. Nowhere near as hard as my mum made them out to be, though; she said I would be better off doing a jumper rather than socks.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Lines

• Awakened

Socks really aren't too bad. The only thing I had problems with at first were the heels, because I kept getting noticeable holes, but then I found a better way to make heels, so that problem was solved. I need to photograph the ones I've been making for my mom properly. They are perty.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

My biggest problem with socks was that I'd make the last/first stitches on the needles too loose, no matter how much I seemed to tighten them.. This mostly felt like a problem when doing stockinette stitch, but it always showed a bit. I thought making heels would be difficult, but once I actually found a decent explanation (YouTube-videos!), it was pretty simple - both the "normal" one when going toe-down and the short-row heel or whatever it was when I knitted toe-up. The latter was way prettier, though, and I think I prefer toe-up anyways.

Switching from four needles to magic loop fixed the loose stitches, though - I still make the first stitch too loose, but the last stitch on the "other side" ends up being too tight, so they even each other out. And it felt way less awkward.

What's your favorite way to bind off socks when going toe-up? I've only tried two methods, and one of them (knit/slip one, knit one, pull the first over the recently knitted one, knit one, pull over..) always ends up being "too" tight (not unwearable or anything, just feels awkward), while the other one I tried was basically the same, but in pattern, and I managed to make one sock loose enough, but the other one ended up tight..

A couple of better (?) photos of the two most recent projects, both of which I'm pretty satisfied with - especially the socks, because I learned a lot and love the yarn:

(My summer hasn't included any knitting so far :/)
« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2009, 11:02 by Ladybug »

Lines

• Awakened

I've never knit toe-up. I start at the cuff, do a short row heel, and bind off with kitchener's stitch. That way the loose bind on stitches are useful as they don't make the cuff too tight.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

The ones where I've started at the cuff are also too tight, so I guess I might need to try casting on in a different way or making it way looser than what feels necessary at the time or something. I've got huge calves, so it's really annoying.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz

Sock! all done! Now I want to make more, but I also want to make a pretty scarf with this yarn, so I am probably gonna unravel it and roll it back up into a ball.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Trevlordyte

• Emoticontraindication
Once again, I'm procrastinating.

Lines

• Awakened

It's so dead at work, I'm teaching my coworker how to knit. Sadly it's with size 0 needles from the sock I'm working on and he has large hands, but he's doing it!

Elizzybeth

• Beyoncé

So I've been getting back into crocheting and have begun teaching myself to do amigurumi.  I'm working on a granny square afghan (a bunch of 13-row squares in a bajillion different colors), so little amigurumi projects provide a nice break from endless rows of double crochet.

Here's my giraffe, rabbit, and frog:

And a better picture of the frog:

Barmymoo

• Mentat

I did some knitting today for the first time since I started uni! It looks like my jumper might be finished by the time I graduate.

Earlier today I was looking at a girl's knitted dress and wondering whether I could make one, but I think it might be a bit beyond me to invent a pattern. Plus I've been making this jumper since last November and I have done maybe a quarter of one side.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Lines

• Awakened

It's ok, I've got a pair of socks I've been "working on" since January and they are 3/4 of the way done. I am hoping to have them done by the end of the month.

Also, I'm teaching my 11 year old cousin how to knit! He knit a bit in the car today (we had a 3 hour drive to a funeral today) and I taught him how to bind off properly. Next weekend I'm going to give him some yarn from my ever growing stash that I no longer use and teach him a bit more. Maybe I'll get him to start a scarf or something.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel

My great-aunt taught me how to knit when I was 9 or 10, still have the needles in fact. I thought it was cool, but I never had the patience to finish anything (unless you count a 2 1/2 foot scarf).

LOTS of knitters at sci-fi conventions, and last one I went to I actually got to see somebody finish a sock.  :-o

There needs to be an Alton Brown of knitting.

</random>
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome

I've made a couple of skirts by knitting squares & sewing them slowly together to make it up, it's much easier than trying to work out a huge pattern...it's also nice as you can finish a square really quickly and you feel lot's of little casting off satisfaction moments!
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

Lines

• Awakened

I've got a pattern for a skirt where you knit a bunch of strips and then sew them all together, which is good because sometimes I barely have enough patience for a pair of socks.

Ladybug

• Beyoncé

I have since the last time I posted found an awesome bind-off when knitting toe-up socks, that is super stretchy and great. It takes a little it longer, since you do it with a tapestry needle, but it's so worth it. Elizabeth Zimmermann's Sewn Bind-off, as mentioned last on http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/FEATsum06TT.html. It's superb.

Hat I knit for my brother. I liked the look, but the yarn was weird cotton mixed with silk and something, so the shape ended up being weird. But he chose the yarn, and refuses wool of any kind, so..

Socks I improvised, sort of. Knit toe-up.

Super-simple hat, and I really hate ribbing, but these hats fit so well.

Mitered Mittens. Long ones, and I liked the idea of the length (which is why I knit them long...), but I'm not so sure about the result. My arms are fat.

Short, but awesomely soft scarf knit out of 50 grams Noro Silver Thaw. I kinda like that it's not long, because I rarely know what to do with long scarf ends.

Lines

• Awakened

Major bump! But I knew this thread existed and it's a perfectly good thread, so why make another.

I am going to participate in a knitalong if anyone else would like to do so. It's starting in September and there's no rush on getting yarn and whatnot (unless you are super duper and know what you want) since it's geared for beginners. (I am not a beginner, but I'm going to wait until I find something good to knit with.) Here is the pattern if you're interested.

Anyone else want to do this with me?

Barmymoo

• Mentat

Resurrecting the old thread again, probably with no more success than Linds had last time. I'm still working on the jumper I started 3 1/2 years ago, but it's coming along more now than ever before - I've discovered the trick is not to store it under my bed where I forget about it...

Keep having minor problems like starting on the wrong stitch, dropping stitches, picking stitches up etc but the improvement is that I can mostly fix them myself. It still looks jumpery, even though I've had to redo at least half a dozen rows.

Lines

• Awakened

It's ok. I think it took me about 6-8 months to finish my sweater and then also 6 months to finish a shawl, even though both were relatively simple projects, I just didn't have the time to sit down and knit and both were a little too large to keep in my backpack to take with me to school. At least they weren't scarves. Those seem to get about a foot long and then I give up patience for them. (Except for the one I made for the boy for Christmas, but that's because it was knit lengthwise on large needles. And I love him and stuff.) Bring it with you to America! Maybe Edith will encourage some knitting time. :)

I really want to start a new knitting or crochet project, but I don't know what. Part of me wants to crochet this blanket and the other part wants to knit this vest (both in different colors). I also want to sew like mad. Crafting ADD makes things terribly difficult.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up