Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Juno  (Read 50913 times)

SevenPinkerton

Re: Juno
« Reply #50 on: 08 Jan 2008, 08:27 »

I love movies that show realistic people. Juno MacGuff is not one of these people. (If she is, where have all these superhumanly laid back, cool, witty, well-dressed girls been hiding?)  I can see the other characters almost existing, but most are nearly all humor and wittiness and no real feelings or seriousness. Everyone has to be serious at some point, especially in situations that take place in Juno. Aside from the relationships, it was very unrealistic and idealistic to me, but very VERY entertaining.

The most realistic character to me was Bleeker and he barely had a role in the movie.

And who on earth would give a baby to a mother in a neighborhood like that in a house that doesn't look like anyone lives in it? Creeeeepy. And weirdly enough, it looks almost identical to my fiance's mother's house.
« Last Edit: 08 Jan 2008, 08:33 by SevenPinkerton »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #51 on: 08 Jan 2008, 08:47 »

(If she is, where have all these superhumanly laid back, cool, witty, well-dressed girls been hiding?)

I know at least three who go to my old high school. Never mind the number of them I know in university.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #52 on: 08 Jan 2008, 09:07 »

how do they live? Juno lacks any real-life emotion or depth. She's a walking cynical comedy show. If there are girls out there like this, I'm not sure whether to feel sorry or them or just hang around them for nonstop laughs.

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #53 on: 08 Jan 2008, 09:16 »

I'm sad to hear that you think the movie lacks any real emotion - if anything, when Juno's jarred out of her distanced, aloof shell the film's emotion is made tangible. There are scenes of despair, ache, joy and passion to rival any other film I've seen this year, they're just included as part of a surprisingly funny film.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #54 on: 08 Jan 2008, 09:46 »

I just found them very lacking and almost forced at the end of the movie. Also, it seemed very out of character for what they presented Juno to be for the first 3/4 of the movie. I guess it was supposed to show her growing up, or something, but I felt they did this very badly and it just seemed to lack any real emotion. It was very sweet at times, though.

PatentAbsurdity

• Not quite a lurker
  • Blathering is a sign of great wisdom.
« Reply #55 on: 08 Jan 2008, 09:51 »

It's a supremely entertaining movie. Personally, I found the soundtrack a wee bit saccharine and distracting, but I had been warned ahead of time that it was, and this no doubt colored my opinion.

Otherwise, it was charming, adorable and quirky in all the best ways. Statutory scene was slightly creepy, but forgivable and probably necessary. The characters were occasionally unrealistic and stereotyped, yes, but they were entertaining stereotypes.

Perfectly indie. I highly recommend it.
“So,” Vassengail asked as they walked, “when did you first get into summoning the dark minions of Lucifer for your own twisted pleasures?”

costacide

« Reply #56 on: 08 Jan 2008, 09:55 »

She's a walking cynical comedy show. 

I actually know quite a few people like that, which is one of the reasons I loved this movie.  That and the Sonic Youth joke, which I don't think will endear me to hipster girls, but whatever. 

I'm surprised that people keep attaching such a "hipster" label to this film, because in comparison to other films it's not.  I mean sure, it's got non-mainstay names in it and semi-obscure musical references (I wonder what Buzz thinks?) but the lack of near-blatant "throwback to the 70's" nonsense that makes me wanna swallow drain cleaner definitely makes it stand apart, methinks.  Also, the fact that they actually used the word ABORTION was a plus.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #57 on: 08 Jan 2008, 10:09 »

I can see it being an excellent date movie if one of you is horrible in bed.

perfect!
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

SevenPinkerton

« Reply #58 on: 08 Jan 2008, 10:09 »

what would they use instead of abortion? If there's some sort of slang term, I don't know it but I suddenly want too..

costacide

« Reply #59 on: 08 Jan 2008, 13:20 »

"Schmaschmortion", like in Knocked Up.  Which was a funny movie, but still, it is kinda rare.  At least in a non-politicized heavy-handed manner that would make even a flag-burner like me roll my eyes, give up, and vote for Jesus.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #60 on: 08 Jan 2008, 20:29 »

I was interested to hear maybe ten people in the theatre laugh at the Sonic Youth joke ("I bought one of their albums, and it's just noise!") only to discover upon leaving the theatre that I knew all of them.

Loved that joke. Loved it sooooo much.

I've seen it twice and I really enjoyed it both times.  It was a tiny bit disappointing that Jason Bateman and Michael Cera didn't have any scenes together, but regardless the dialogue was great (when not overdone, which was occasionally) acting good, plot interesting...is there anything else you need to make a great movie? I also liked that there were things I noticed the second time around (like Bleeker saying "Wizard!") that made it especially worth it to see it again (the primary motivation was to get a friend to see it).

thepugs

« Reply #61 on: 08 Jan 2008, 21:10 »

I just saw it a few hours ago and I have to say I was wonderfully surprised.  I'm not sure why it was surprising that it was as good as it was, but I loved the hell out of it, particularly the soundtrack.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #62 on: 09 Jan 2008, 07:37 »

I linked the soundtrack in the Mediafire thread if you want to head on over there.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

michaelicious

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 09 Jan 2008, 08:16 »

I think it would be a better movie if the "J" in Juno was pronounced like and "H".

morca007

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #64 on: 09 Jan 2008, 10:27 »

Saw it last night, and I very much enjoyed it.
It's a reassuring, sentimental movie that's still fucking hilarious.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #65 on: 09 Jan 2008, 13:19 »

I was interested to hear maybe ten people in the theatre laugh at the Sonic Youth joke ("I bought one of their albums, and it's just noise!") only to discover upon leaving the theatre that I knew all of them.

Loved that joke. Loved it sooooo much.

I'm pretty sure I was the only person in the theater that laughed at that joke, when I saw it.

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #66 on: 09 Jan 2008, 17:09 »

To be fair, it did come at a sort of tense moment. There might have been other people who got it but didn't laugh because of the tone the film was taking. But to honestly think this would require a great deal of faith in humanity, a great deal more than I have.

Ishotdanieljohnston

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #67 on: 17 Jan 2008, 17:52 »

Well i was pretty dissappointed. i thought it was a pretty good movie, but certainly did not live up to the considerable hype. I guess I was expecting something aas utterly charming and quirk as Little Miss Sunshine, but this one was just trying to hard. I also found all the "i'm a hipster" jokes really self concious and irrelevant. Though I did find the Sonic Youth gag funny.

I did still enjoy it, just not as much as I thought I might.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #68 on: 17 Jan 2008, 20:13 »

Seriously. You thought this was trying to hard compared to Little Miss Sunshine?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #69 on: 17 Jan 2008, 21:33 »

See, I thought Little Miss Sunshine was no good, tried way too hard, and had only a few enjoyable scenes.

I adored Juno.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #70 on: 18 Jan 2008, 05:13 »

Just saw it. Loved it. Might need to see it again in a less crowded cinema, so I can hear the lines that people laughed over.

Juno lacks any real-life emotion or depth.

I disagree. Ellen Page's performance is actually, I think, incredibly subtle: at the beginning of the movie Juno is, as you say, a walking comedy show, but it's all front: I think she's actually trying to hide a massive sea of doubt and fear and uncertainty beneath the tough surface, and to me Page manages to convey that through facial expressions and body language and tiny pauses. Like a lot of people, Juno's better at cracking jokes than expressing her genuine emotions. By the end of the movie she's managing to do both.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #71 on: 18 Jan 2008, 10:55 »

I really enjoyed it. I never got to see the end though because the copy my friend downloaded wasn't complete :-(.

SPOILER

I got up to the point where she tells bleaker that she loves him, how long is there left after that scene?
Get off my land

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #72 on: 18 Jan 2008, 11:02 »

not much, although you did miss a very adorable and awesome cover of a Moldy Peaches song (done by Michael Cera and whatsherface).
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #73 on: 18 Jan 2008, 12:52 »

I love the end, it's brilliant, and I believe that throughout the entire movie, "Ow ow, fuckity ow" is my favourite line. And that song at the end is really really sweet. I'm glad I downloaded the soundtrack.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #74 on: 18 Jan 2008, 12:56 »

yes, the whole soundtrack is wonderful.

i held off on getting it until i saw the movie cause i wasn't sure if i'd be into it or not but the first thing i did after getting back from the movie was download that shit straight away.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #75 on: 18 Jan 2008, 13:20 »

Yeah, I waited until I'd seen it before I downloaded it, but it's so good that I had to grab it. All the songs are just so sweet and make me smile.

UnidentifiedFlyingCupcake

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #76 on: 18 Jan 2008, 13:24 »

I loved this movie. I can understand some of the complaints people have made, but personally none of them were seriously annoying to me. Maybe most people aren't like the ones Juno portrays, but some are, and the best thing was that the characters were believable. The movie was so well-made that I didn't feel like I had to nit-pick over a few things that may not have fit exactly. And really, it was just generally excellent comedy--brilliant writing/hilarious dialogue--and phenomenal characterization of what it's like to be a teenager.

imapiratearg

« Reply #77 on: 18 Jan 2008, 14:51 »

I love the end, it's brilliant, and I believe that throughout the entire movie, "Ow ow, fuckity ow" is my favourite line. And that song at the end is really really sweet. I'm glad I downloaded the soundtrack.

Was there a Spinal Tap reference in that scene, or is there really something called a spinal tap for women in labor?
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2008, 14:54 by imapiratearg »

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #78 on: 18 Jan 2008, 14:54 »

they stick a needle into your spine. it serves many purposes, i believe.

i'm also pretty sure it's extremely painful. i'm not sure what it's actually for.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #79 on: 18 Jan 2008, 15:02 »

Epidural. It's actually a lot more painful without it.
I review, sometimes.
Quote from: Andy
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #80 on: 18 Jan 2008, 15:35 »

Mmm. It just numbs everything from the injection downwards. Then they dose you up with laughing gas.

Ooh, giving birth. What a FUN thing to look forward to.

Shitting a basketball out of your cooter. Great.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #81 on: 18 Jan 2008, 17:09 »

More like a softball. Unless your kid has a huge head.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #82 on: 18 Jan 2008, 21:36 »

Well to be honest, when coming out of there, it's gonna feel like a basketball.

KickThatBathProf

• Duck attack survivor
  • hey there
« Reply #83 on: 18 Jan 2008, 22:34 »

I am so glad that I don't have to deal with that [/gloating]
dumplings are the answer because the foreskin boys

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
« Reply #84 on: 18 Jan 2008, 23:25 »

I saw it. It was cute.

Kind of charming, but some of the scenes seemed a tad over the top. That said, still 100 times more realistic than any other movie of this endeavor.

KvP

• WoW gold miner on break
  • COME DOWN NOW
« Reply #85 on: 19 Jan 2008, 16:46 »

Saw it. The first 20 minutes were excruciating. The dialogue sounds like pureed peppers feel on your junk, especially the Rainn Wilson part. While it got progressively better over time, the script still got irritating here and there throughout.

While the movie definitely has that "indie veneer", it lacked the remoteness of most Anderson-influenced movies like Little Miss Sunshine. In those movies you had characters whose oddness was something of an accessory rather than a quality. There's a gay man, but he's the second most famous Proust scholar in America! And he's suicidally lovelorn for the first! Isn't he Wacky!? Aside from maybe Bleeker's love for tic-tacs, that sort of thing was refreshingly absent from Juno. Most of the characters feel honest and lived-in, and act as real people would. Like a lot of people, I was ready to write the movie off in the first 15 minutes. But when Juno told her parents she was pregnant I started to warm to the film. That's probably due mostly to JK Simmons and Allison Janney, who are dependably excellent as Juno's father and stepmother. Jason Bateman was natural as a self-centered suspended adolescent, and Jennifer Garner was surprisingly convincing as the hopeful mother. It got a little dusty during some of her scenes.

One complaint that I had was with the soundtrack. The last time I was so aware of a soundtrack was while watching Troy. My friend, who hated Juno with a comical passion, said it made him ashamed to like indie rock. I wouldn't go that far, but I did find it unwelcome and distracting at times. They played Boy Least Likely To's "Be Gentle With Me" in the ads, but it didn't make it into the movie, which is a shame, because nothing they played was as good as that song.

I really, really liked it, but then, I'm a mild-mannered and sentimental person, and movies of this nature easily get to me. I can't defend Diablo Cody's script from charges that it's an exercise in self-congratulation, but I thought it made a good movie nonetheless. Better than Little Miss Sunshine. Probably better than The Life Aquatic.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2008, 16:55 by Kid van Pervert »
I review, sometimes.
I love this vagina store!
SNEAKY
I sneak that shit
And liek
OMG DICK JERK

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #86 on: 21 Jan 2008, 13:49 »

I really loved it!

I started to water up in the end.
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

costacide

« Reply #87 on: 21 Jan 2008, 19:05 »

I disagree. Ellen Page's performance is actually, I think, incredibly subtle: at the beginning of the movie Juno is, as you say, a walking comedy show, but it's all front: I think she's actually trying to hide a massive sea of doubt and fear and uncertainty beneath the tough surface, and to me Page manages to convey that through facial expressions and body language and tiny pauses. Like a lot of people, Juno's better at cracking jokes than expressing her genuine emotions. By the end of the movie she's managing to do both.

YES

Definitely the main reason I love it...the pause she takes along with her facial expressions when she tells Bleeker she's pregnant is the first sign of it, but it definitely shines through at points.

I mostly try to sum it up to people by telling them she's like every girl I knew when I was 16...a sort of holier-than-though know it all.

doki

« Reply #88 on: 22 Jan 2008, 01:32 »

i saw this today, and i was impressed.  Ellen Page carried it beautifully, nice story decent soundtrack ladidadida
am i the only one a little concerned that the kid from My Best Friend Is An Alien managed to bed Kitty Pride?

supersheep

• Scrabble hacker
  • you'll have to speak up, i'm a fish and lack ears
« Reply #89 on: 22 Jan 2008, 05:46 »

I think Inlander got it spot on. I got Juno as presenting a front of sarky sarcasticnessosity to the world rather than actually being supremely cool and laid back - the nerdyish kid who is kinda cool because of the shell they present, maybe.

I thought it was one of the best films I've seen in quite a while. It's in the same category as Amelie for me, I think - a film I would put on at ten or so at night because I have had a crappy day and am feeling kinda down, so that I can go to bed with a smile on my face. I also thought that it was pretty realistic, at least based on what I remember of being around that age.
DJ Weight Problem: if you think semantics isn't that important maybe you should just can dig four banana nine jenkins razor blade dinosaur

chrobae

« Reply #90 on: 22 Jan 2008, 11:49 »

I agree with the above poster.

bryanthelion

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • I'm a lion, and I'm flyin'.
    • My blog
« Reply #91 on: 22 Jan 2008, 16:26 »

God Damnit I need to see Amelie
"Cause I might be a werewolf...but why would an inquisitor of the pope be in a webcomic forum?"

littlelove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #92 on: 22 Jan 2008, 16:33 »

I loved Juno.
Her character is really great, and really suits her

De_El

• Duck attack survivor
  • uh oh
« Reply #93 on: 22 Jan 2008, 18:43 »

God Damnit I need to see Amelie

! Shit yeah you do ! Do it now! urgeurgeurgeinfluence

Eli

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Crayon teeth draw blood.
« Reply #94 on: 22 Jan 2008, 19:04 »

**Spoilers in my post.

I really liked Juno. It's a cute movie, although I did find some of the soundtrack annoying, most of it seemed fitting, I think. I found Garner's character to be kinda weird, though. The mall scene is meant to be the "redeeming" point, but I thought it was too small an incident to have Juno make the choice she did.

It is a nice date movie. I saw it with my boyfriend and his family first and my boyfriend and I considered seeing it by ourselves again (but we went to see Charlie Wilson's War instead). He really liked the Sonic Youth and Melvin references and the Thundercats one.

I was sad Cera's character wasn't more in the main line. As the father, I would have thought he would have been. Bateman's character was kinda creepy when he was dancing with Juno. For a moment there, I thought he was going to say he was leaving his wife for Juno.  :| He bonded a lot with Juno and it was an odd turn when he turned out to be a "villian."

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #95 on: 22 Jan 2008, 20:54 »

A) The Thundercats part was gold.

B) Good work on putting "villain" in quotes because I'm pretty sure that is actually the wrong word!

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #96 on: 22 Jan 2008, 21:18 »

**spoilers**

yeah, i thought Bateman was gonna "go for it" for a minute there.

also, the scene with Garner in the mall...at first i didn't get why everyone was ooh-ing and aah-ing...i thought she was kidnapping that kid or something weird like that so when it turned out to be a positive turning-point i didn't really feel it the way i was supposed to.

chrobae

« Reply #97 on: 22 Jan 2008, 22:54 »

I also thought he was going to go for it, or he and Juno were going to live together.

ummmkay

• Curry sauce
« Reply #98 on: 23 Jan 2008, 07:44 »

AWKWARD SEXUAL TENSION.

Was that scene supposed to be creepy, or what?

edit: man i love pagebreaks.
« Last Edit: 23 Jan 2008, 13:58 by ummmkay »

imapiratearg

« Reply #99 on: 23 Jan 2008, 09:32 »

also, the scene with Garner in the mall...at first i didn't get why everyone was ooh-ing and aah-ing...i thought she was kidnapping that kid or something weird like that so when it turned out to be a positive turning-point i didn't really feel it the way i was supposed to.

The first time I saw the movie, I thought pretty much the same thing.  I was like: "What the hell is she doing?  That's someone else's kid!"  I thought the child was crying and screaming for her mother or something.  Then, when Ellen Page started smiling,  I was thoroughly confused.  I was expecting a reaction somewhere along the lines of: "Oh my god, she's totally obsessed with becoming a mother."  I think it took maybe the second or third time to really figure out what that scene was all about.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up