THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:58
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: QC Book.  (Read 25200 times)

hexenrit

QC Book.
« on: 01 Jan 2008, 17:59 »

You know, I've been following this silly comic since right around #400, and today I finally registered on the forums for one reason.

I think it would be completely awesome to have some sort of book with all the comics in it.  Maybe not now, but in the future, when there's enough material for a seriously long book, or when Jeph decides to retire the comic (god forbid).   It might be kind of hard to decide where the end of a book is, since the comic flows so great, but thats not the important part right now.

I just wanted to say that I think it'd be a great idea.  I'd buy it. Hell, I'd probably buy a couple as gifts.

I can't believe I registered just so I could say that haha.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Re: QC Book.
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2008, 18:51 »

This is one of my goals for 2008.

Ideally they'd be broken up into chunks of 200-250 strips in full color, if I can afford it. They're gonna be pretty huge books, at least 8.5x11 if not bigger. I'd probably charge somewhere between $15 and $25 per book, depending on final printing costs.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

koalamanchester

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2008, 19:20 »

Doooooooo it.

I'd buy at least one copy of each installment.

snoppyjanoppy

« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan 2008, 20:54 »

I'd probably buy the book sets.

I use to be a huge fan of Mall Monkeys, one of the first web comics I've ever read, and when they started selling a CD with all of the strips on it I thought it was bullcrap. I thought it was absurd to buy something that I read on the internet for free.

Then, they stopped creating new strips and shut down the website entirely.

I will not repeat the same mistake again. Also, don't stop creating QC comics Jeph ur awesome.

Fellyfiasco

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Why is a raven like a writing desk?
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2008, 21:07 »

oooh <3 I would definitely buy QC books if they were published

do it do it do it!

Bearer

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan 2008, 21:14 »

I must say, having a thick stack of nicely bound glossy QC comics on my coffee table (of doom) would be the most rad thing ever, especially because I find myself re-reading all your old strips constantly.  Please start making these Jeph.  I will give you $200 for said book!
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

die_born

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jan 2008, 06:23 »

It works for little gamers i just order there 4th book.  It would be cool to add some QC books next to my complete little gamers collection.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2008, 07:42 »

Count me in for buying the books. 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Fidel Fanst

« Reply #8 on: 05 Jan 2008, 14:55 »

I know how you feel. I just registered to say this too...

I'd definitely buy a book of the comic, if one were made. But, what would be doene with the first comics, the ones that were (compared to the current art style) crappier?

brady

« Reply #9 on: 05 Jan 2008, 20:00 »

I'll buy it the moment it comes out.

Nodaisho

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jan 2008, 20:22 »

I would love to buy the books, not sure I could, but I would if I could.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

roint

« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan 2008, 20:20 »

I haven't bought a single T-shirt yet, but I would totally buy a printed collection.

Hell, I even bought the Men in Hats collection.

I would so love to have some QC to read at work or on the bus.

Apple Pie

• Plantmonster
  • Chicks flashing PCI slots doesn't do much for me.
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jan 2008, 23:06 »

...bookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbook...

I'm in.

Oh yeah.
"Did your Man Jesus ever have a wife?"
"No, but his girlfriend was a whore."
"Well...that's a start."

Simon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #13 on: 07 Jan 2008, 01:58 »

Another lurker that would 100% buy a QC book

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
« Reply #14 on: 07 Jan 2008, 04:45 »

Not to say that I wouldn't also love to see this happen, but jesus guys, only so many of you can spontaneously orgasm at the mention of a QC book.

...or can you?
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

Mark7

• My sandbox is crunchy
    • My Music
Will be at your local record store this Friday handing out the hot dickings

beej55

« Reply #16 on: 07 Jan 2008, 17:23 »

Count me in, comics are the only thing I can read when I'm traveling...especially on the train.

vgaer

• Plantmonster
  • The puppy dog eyes will only get you so far...
« Reply #17 on: 07 Jan 2008, 21:53 »

YES!!

Lulu.com, perhaps?

hexenrit

« Reply #18 on: 07 Jan 2008, 22:20 »

Ideally they'd be broken up into chunks of 200-250 strips in full color, if I can afford it. They're gonna be pretty huge books, at least 8.5x11 if not bigger. I'd probably charge somewhere between $15 and $25 per book, depending on final printing costs.

I'd pay that.  Probably more.  Just print them already :D

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #19 on: 07 Jan 2008, 22:37 »

Count me in for buying books too!
As for the very first strips, I would probably murder someone if they were redone in the newer style. I love watching the way the art has progressed, and there never was anything wrong with the old styles. The only thing I would want fixed for print are the few strips where the typeface was different due to Jeph using another computer.

Fidel Fanst

« Reply #20 on: 08 Jan 2008, 00:08 »

To quote Dora: I'll give you $200 for those comic books!

Bearer

• The Corgi Commands Awesome
« Reply #21 on: 08 Jan 2008, 18:00 »

To quote Dora: I'll give you $200 for those comic books!
You're a little late man, I already busted out that joke, lol.
Therefore, I cast aside my useless dick-broom, and I let the ocean come.

Fidel Fanst

« Reply #22 on: 08 Jan 2008, 23:54 »

Heh, I'll eat my hat then... Can't blame me for not reading the entire thread... Well, you could, but I'm lazy :-P

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #23 on: 14 Jan 2008, 21:22 »

8 1/2 x 11, 380 pages for $45 to $50 and I'd totally buy it. Or perhaps same size but only around 130 pages I'd pay $30 for.
*was getting tired of that slug*

soatari

« Reply #24 on: 20 Jan 2008, 00:17 »

I registered an account just now after finally catching up to the current page in order to see if there was already a thread on this, and if not to make one.

I would very much enjoy owning hard copies of this comic as it is of a quality not seen much these days. I'm totally hooked, finding myself getting emotional right along with the characters, which I must say is a first for me as far as any kind of comic goes.

Here's to hoping you can get this idea off the ground this year, and here's to many great pages to come.

bbqrocks

« Reply #25 on: 20 Jan 2008, 07:18 »

Would they be available in the UK?

NeoNorm

« Reply #26 on: 22 Jan 2008, 00:47 »

Count me in for buying books too!
As for the very first strips, I would probably murder someone if they were redone in the newer style. I love watching the way the art has progressed, and there never was anything wrong with the old styles. The only thing I would want fixed for print are the few strips where the typeface was different due to Jeph using another computer.

I'm with Lunchbox on this. Do not redo the older strips!  I have the full collection of The Far Side and you can see the progression. It's not as pronounced as the QC strips are, but that's Far Side. (BTW: The Far Side collection is awesome, and it weighs in at about 40lbs!).  I would be another buyer of the QC collection for sure. Hopefully its available on Amazon.com, Barnes And Noble, etc! (Amazon ftw)

ferrix

« Reply #27 on: 24 Jan 2008, 11:04 »

Just to reiterate what Apple Pie said:

...bookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbookbook...

GIMME!

trinalin

« Reply #28 on: 25 Jan 2008, 19:20 »

Put me down as another person joining the forum to add a "Me too!" to the QC Book notion.  The Math t-shirt that I ordered is all well & good, but a QC book would be even more fab. :-)

(Of course, it finally dawned on me this week that I'm a webcomics merchandise addict.  Most of the webcomics which I read I now have a fair amount of merch from. Guess it's better than spending the money on drugs!)

Shadies

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan 2008, 05:56 »

Jumping on the bandwagon I'd love to buy a book or two of the comics. It'd be my default gift for everyone I know for the next year or so.

aichambaye

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #30 on: 28 Feb 2008, 09:19 »

I want this! Any movement, Jeph? Really, REALLY want this. Am sad it doesn't already exist.

britMonster

• Furry furrier
« Reply #31 on: 28 Feb 2008, 09:35 »

I know how you feel. I just registered to say this too...

I'd definitely buy a book of the comic, if one were made. But, what would be doene with the first comics, the ones that were (compared to the current art style) crappier?

I think that the original style compared to the current style is nice to see progress. Jeph has improved his drawing a lot, but that doesn't mean he should erase what it started out as.
britMonster is all hot and bothered by the thought of febreeze.

you're invited : www.lost.eu/75505

kizzie

« Reply #32 on: 28 Feb 2008, 09:46 »

Jeph,

Ultimately, the choice in how you compose the books is up to you, but from a dedicated reader, please don't change the old strips.  Though some may disparage the artwork's quality, I think that the original style should remain untouched. 

Also, should you put this in action, count me as a "two copies of every book" groupie.  I think my office needs some QC-love, and my mother would likely fall out of her chair several times in the course of reading them.

Blackcat Moebius

• Plantmonster
  • No mushrooms.
« Reply #33 on: 28 Feb 2008, 13:55 »

Jeph -

I want to give you my money.
I currently don't need more T-shirts, however.

Therefore, BOOK!  Please.

iDiannasaur

« Reply #34 on: 05 Mar 2008, 09:20 »

I would buy it primarily because it would be easier to force close friends to read it. If they refused, I could beat them with it! 
But really, it would be awesome to own, in essence. A very good idea on which I would enjoy spending money.

Amaroq

« Reply #35 on: 05 Mar 2008, 09:30 »

Can I pre-order?  :wink:

Would love love love this: I actually swung through the Merchandise section hoping to buy exactly that within a day of finding the site.

Muskrat121

« Reply #36 on: 05 Mar 2008, 13:24 »

I'm going to add my "I would totally buy this" to the list lest people wonder whether or not anyone would actually buy this. :-P

geniaofelysion

« Reply #37 on: 05 Mar 2008, 22:51 »

I agree with leaving the earlier comics as it is; I always loved seeing the progression of Jeph's art. Man, I'd totally get a copy of QC books, if they are available for shipping to the Philippines. Are they?

And you know what else would be awesome? a new poster. Peace.

mickey

« Reply #38 on: 06 Mar 2008, 08:41 »

I am all for this idea and I am setting aside a portion of money for when they're available as we speak.

Econoline

• Plantmonster
« Reply #39 on: 06 Mar 2008, 09:44 »

I would buy at least 3 copies as soon as they became available--1 for me and 2 for gifts.
There's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Hokes

« Reply #40 on: 06 Mar 2008, 13:08 »

I would love to see the books printed.  I'd contact the time traveling iPod leprechauns so I could pre-order them before you put them up.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #41 on: 06 Mar 2008, 13:26 »

I'd buy if I could afford, it'd be something to save towards.

And definitely the old art should stay... for one thing, it'd take forever to redraw all of them and for another it's nice to see the progression.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

jaymzh

« Reply #42 on: 11 Mar 2008, 20:40 »

I would definitely buy the books.

Jeph - UserFriendly has been publishing their comics as books for a while now - you may want to ask Iliad how he goes about doing it.

- Phil

lostinfont

« Reply #43 on: 11 Mar 2008, 21:09 »

:-D Pleeease make the books.  I'll buy one of each for me and some for friends.  I'm very excited about this prospect.  I've been going around bemoaning the non-existence of them before now. 

aichambaye

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #44 on: 11 Mar 2008, 21:40 »

Jeph, consider using one of those services. Easier for you - but you won't have to worry about getting orders our in time, etc. I preordered a $30 comic book (Sandusky) and it came about two months later - the preorders helped offset the cost. But Get Medieval is on Cafe Press, so that or Lulu may be an option.

fladeni

« Reply #45 on: 14 Mar 2008, 18:52 »

I started talking about this in the daily comic thread because I am such a newbie and have no idea how forums work. I would love a book...It's also the reason I joined to see it there was talk of one...I hate having to constantly go clicking through and waiting for each page to load when I want to re-read QC and what if the power goes out or the internet's down....how will I get my fix....I def. need books. Then after I had the books I would buy them for my friends who also love QC. I also agree keep the old artwork I love to see the progression. Also a new poster would be nice as well. There I think I have commented on everything in this thread so far.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #46 on: 21 Mar 2008, 11:45 »

I strongly agree. I would buy the entire book series because it would be easier to share it with my friends, and it would be easier to find a strip I was looking for in case I get to wondering, "Hey, where's the strip where Marten called himself an Uncertainty Moth that caused all his female friends to start doubting themselves?" (And just so you guys don't have to go look, the answer is #608. Maybe this explains why GothRaven transformed into CluelessRaven, SassHanners has transformed into NaiveHanners, and ConfidentDora has transformed into ClingyDora. It's all his fault!)

Not to mention that the books would be a fun way to support Jeph financially. I already own four QC T-shirts and two QC posters, AND have purchased three QC gifts for others, but somehow I feel I'm not doing enough.

Also, Jeph? I agree with all the above posters in advising you NOT to redraw earlier strips. That way, people can more easily trace the progression of your artwork. However, I DO advise you to add color to strip #147. The strip of which you said at the time:

Quote from: The great Jeph Jacques
Today's comic brought to you in stunning Black-and-White-o-Vision because I am moving to a new apartment tomorrow and need time to pack. If I have time this weekend I may put up a colored version, we'll see.

Somehow it just doesn't look right when compared to the strip before it and the strip after it.
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2008, 11:53 by LeeZion »
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

bicostp

• Beyoncé
« Reply #47 on: 22 Mar 2008, 18:26 »

"Too long, didn't read" version: I like the idea of $25 books the size of Dilbert / Calvin & Hobbes / Far Side books.
---------------

I think between 7 and 10 dollars per 100 comics in a volume is reasonable, since a book with 250 could work out to about $25.

The only problem is the layout. Just about every comic is tall and skinny. Personally, I don't like tall, skinny books because they don't fit on shelves easily (either they lie spine down so you can't read what they are or they get pushed to the back). Rearranging them into a more square configuration, or putting 2 strips side by side on a page, would solve that problem.

8.5 x 11 is a little tight. The side that gets bound needs more of a margin, because of the gutter that gets created when you open a book. (The dark ravine, for lack of a better term.) The comics could run on into each other if they're too close to the edge, and it won't look as nice.

http://bicostp.googlepages.com/qcmockup.pdf

In my opinion, 8.5 by 9 would be best. That's a comfortable size, most "daily strip" compilation books use it so it will sit on shelves nicely with the others, and the comics will still be large enough to read.

http://bicostp.googlepages.com/qcmockup2.pdf

Print the mock-ups at 100% size. They're all 150 DPI for file size reasons, and were made from the web versions of the comics, so they're not representative of what the real thing could be. For the second one (8.5 by 9), print it out and cut along the black lines on the sides. These were just quickly thrown together and I have no knowledge of printing standards, so they might have to be smaller.

I think 250 is a good number, since that would make a book about 125 pages long (again, similar size to other comparable comic compilations), and call for a new book about every year (just like the big boys).

Good-size QC volumes for $25 - $30? Yes please. 8-)
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2008, 19:49 by bicostp »

muteKi

« Reply #48 on: 23 Mar 2008, 19:02 »

ALSO, why not just throw in a couple of redone strips as bonuses, just for comparison as an addendum?

That said, don't remove the old strips from the compilation in the process.

penguinpenguin

« Reply #49 on: 27 Mar 2008, 13:37 »

I would love a QC book.  You could arrange the strips in a box pattern, then they would fit nicely on a page.  However, because of the dimensions of each panel the page would need to be wider than it is tall.  Please do not include any guest strips in the books.  They really take away from the effect.  However, leave the early strips alone.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up