THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC Book.  (Read 25204 times)

QCnerdGrl

Re: QC Book.
« Reply #50 on: 27 Mar 2008, 19:31 »

If the books actually get printed I think I would die of happiness. I started reading it a while ago, and then stopped-got very busy and only made it to about strip 230ish.
When I decided to catch up on things, the famous strip #1079 occurred I had to know the whole story, it was not an easy task. Not to say I didn't enjoy it though! ^_^

I would get multiple copies of 'em. I would be willing to raise my children on it as soon as they could understand the culture references...
That and it would be easier to share with my Dad, he's getting old, and what not.

Please let us know soon!   

thatryanguy

« Reply #51 on: 27 Mar 2008, 20:32 »

Based on that, 8.5 x 11 could actually be good if Jeph felt ambitious enough to add some notes or comments below the strips. I know that's one thing that I've really liked about the webcomic collections I've bought - or at least the ones that did that. Omake for win.

Beaten by Nuns

• Plantmonster
« Reply #52 on: 18 Apr 2009, 23:25 »

I know this thread has been long since lost and possibly forgotten underneath all these topics-o-doom but I was just wondering, are there still any plans at all to release this AWESOME comic as a series of books?

I LONG for the day that there exists an elite hardcover super edition jam packed with QC goodness.

Bissrok

« Reply #53 on: 24 Apr 2009, 15:35 »

Yeah, I'd really love to have them all in a big collection, as I'm always going back to re-read the series.

If you did do it 200 comics at a time, though, that'd be a lot of books, even if you took out all the guest strips and birds.

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #54 on: 24 Apr 2009, 22:56 »

^-- I agree with this.

Also, I don't think you should exclude the guest strips entirely, but since they do sort of get in the way of certain plot points, maybe include them at the back of the book for fun reference?
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

Zingoleb

« Reply #55 on: 26 Apr 2009, 15:33 »

If I need to, I'll print up all the QC comics I've downloaded and put them in a binder.

:lol:

Beaten by Nuns

• Plantmonster
« Reply #56 on: 26 Apr 2009, 23:46 »

^ I'd do that myself as I have one of those expensive ass printers that can print out glossy documets, but to refill it is also expensive...

What I SHOULD do, is go to the local library and pay the 12 dollar fee for unlimited print outs, and save me some monies.

Man... I really LONG for the day I can have a professional book of QC strips on my shelf next to my Penny Arcade and Robert Kirkman collections.

*sigh*  :lol:

Zingoleb

« Reply #57 on: 27 Apr 2009, 01:12 »

GASP

SHOCK

IDEA

I just need to download the other ~900 or so.

Stupid dial up.

Seenoevl

« Reply #58 on: 05 Jun 2009, 22:45 »

I work at a publishing company and I know that Jeph is planning on releasing a book.  Maybe I could check with the head of the department and see if their interested?

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #59 on: 05 Jun 2009, 23:52 »

If anybody is going to collect all the comics and put them into one folders, I'm seriously gonna laugh at them, caus Jeph allready has that. Ask him to zip if up for 10 bucks or something like that.

He should run the entire folder through www.smush.it before zipping it up though.
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #60 on: 06 Jun 2009, 00:38 »

If anybody is going to collect all the comics and put them into one folders, I'm seriously gonna laugh at them, caus Jeph allready has that. Ask him to zip if up for 10 bucks or something like that.

He should run the entire folder through www.smush.it before zipping it up though.

Can I laugh at you for thinking he meant a computer folder rather than an actual real life paper folder?  :roll:
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #61 on: 06 Jun 2009, 07:10 »

And I'm laughing at you for assuming you'd get it in print for a mere 10$

Can I laugh at you for thinking he meant a computer folder rather than an actual real life paper folder?  :roll:
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE

Llewellian

• Furry furrier
  • Kraut ;o)
« Reply #62 on: 07 Jun 2009, 01:37 »

I really would like if that comic would go into print.

I follow several online comics, and whenever they go into print i am so going to buy them. Megatokyo, Wapsi Square and else. I mean, i collect comics anyway (european art print ones only, no Superhero comics like DC and such) and i get my kicks out of printed comics. Best webcomic went to print form until today is Gunnerkrigg Court. Man. Hardcover Book, sturdy with extra binding design. Jeez, that makes a bibliophile happy ;o).

So, pleease...pretty please with extra cherry on top ^^. Do it.

9 out of 10 voices in my head tell me that i am not mad. The 10th hums the Tetris Tune.

Steve the Pocket

• Emoticontraindication
  • Nyoro~n is the new desu
« Reply #63 on: 07 Jun 2009, 19:28 »

Jeph is too cool for print-on-demand.  The fact that his t-shirts are printed professionally should have told you that. ;)  Seriously, though, the only real player in that market is Lulu (Plan Nine has been kaput for years now, and the only clients of theirs that I knew said they were horrible at keeping their stuff available), and from what I've seen, their quality is only marginally better than running off the pages on a home inkjet printer.  Plus, have you seen their prices on full-color books?  They're just pretendous.

As far as formatting, it looks like virtually every strip in the archive is in four mostly-wide panels, so rearranging them into two rows of two would probably be the best move.  The end product would be taller than it is wide, appropriate for most bookshelves.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #64 on: 08 Jun 2009, 00:14 »

Given the overall readership Jeph has, standard offset printing is going to be way more cost effective than print on demand, it really only takes 1000 or fewer copies for the cost curves to cross, especially since we're talking about full color. A smaller press with experience in the comic/webcomic field would probably be best.

Distribution right now would be the main problem. It's not likely to hit the chain bookstores, and in reality, dealing with them as a small press is very dangerous because of the potential of massive returns where you end up with thousands of copies of shelf-worn books that you just gave a full refund to the store because they didn't feel like carrying it any more. Online sales and special orders through brick-n-mortar stores would be the main route.

But since Jeph wouldn't be relying on shelf presence or outside promotion in order to generate sales, this really isn't an issue blocking success of the venture. It's more about finding the sweet spot on print run size that provides a nice price point for buyers and profit margin for Jeph.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

xiansantos

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #65 on: 08 Jun 2009, 09:45 »

Go for it Jeph! I'll buy a couple, keep one for collection and give the others away as gifts.

philharmonic

• Furry furrier
« Reply #66 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:53 »

Got mine on Friday.
I must say I'm very pleased with the size and format. I'm also really really pleased that cost wise (including shipping) it came in around what i expected in my original post here.

Now if only Jeph would get going on the next volume.
My only complaint is the exclusion of the guest strips. I can understand why they where left out (copyright issues, artist compensation issues etc.), I just thought i would be nice to see them as well.
*was getting tired of that slug*
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up