THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Casting call for a short film I'm making  (Read 9798 times)

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Casting call for a short film I'm making
« on: 02 Jan 2008, 08:29 »

First off, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it.

Ok, so I've got an idea. I want to make a short film as kind of a "day in the life of me" thing, but then a friend of mine suggested that I do multiple people, so, if you'd like to be in my little film, here's what you need to do: you need your own video camera or access to one (some kind of digital format preferred), then you need to film yourself for about a week or so, just a kind of "this is me, this is what I do" type of thing. I figure I only need about 5 people, and this is still early in the planning stages (read: i came up with the idea this morning), so yeah, let me see how much interest there is in this and we'll go from there.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

SeanBateman

Re: Casting call for a short film I'm making
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jan 2008, 08:55 »

So if we film it and act in it, how is it your short film.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jan 2008, 09:48 »

On an offtopic note: Kieffer's avatar is probably the best thing I've ever seen.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan 2008, 10:37 »

So if we film it and act in it, how is it your short film.

He's the auteur.

Kytt

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2008, 12:26 »

1 week of film.

2-4 hours of filming a day (let's say 3).

21 hours of film, total.

21 tapes.

$3.50 a tape (approximately).

21 tapes = $73.5 + Tax = $79.75 (approximately).

You give me $80 to reimburse me for tape stock and I'll do it. No joke- I'm a filmmaker as well, and I have a camera as well as sound and lighting equipment. I can do all the color and light balancing for you, all you need to do is give me the cash for the tape stock.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2008, 13:01 »

Mini DV's don't cost 3.50 a piece, you can buy a pack of six for under 10 bucks. Say you buy three packs equaling up to 18 1 hour DV tapes and that's more than enough footage for your part of the film, that cuts out over 50 bucks right there. And while I'm not particularly interested in this, There is a difference between filming a bunch of random stuff and editing it to look good. If he supplied the money and then went through, cut away and edited all of the raw footage and then setting it to music or adding sound effects or whatever he would be doing his fair share of the work, especially if he also used himself as one of the people. Then he'd fully have the right to call himself producer/editor, as well as one of the actors/cameramen.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jan 2008, 13:17 »

Wow. That's insane, but I don't know quite what the exchange rate is in comparison of the US to Norway so I don't know exacty what the difference is. I just buy them from Best Buy down the road.

Edit: Strike that, found a receipt, they were 16 bucks.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2008, 13:19 by Boro_Bandito »
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

kizzie

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2008, 13:20 »

-Edited to Erase-
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2008, 14:01 by kizzie »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2008, 13:38 »

Mini DV's don't cost 3.50 a piece, you can buy a pack of six for under 10 bucks.
Sure, if you are cool with the shitty tapes. Which may actually be fine for this purpose, but for any footage I actually cared about I'd want better tape than a random six pack of consumer grade tape from a random store.

For the record, dv tapes from the supermarket are not recommended by professional filmmakers.

As for the rest of his post, good point about the work of editing.
« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2008, 13:43 by jhocking »

Kytt

« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2008, 13:54 »

Actually, I shoot on Hi-8.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2008, 19:39 »

Not even gonna say anything about the Hi-8.

Being a poor film student as I am I use what's cheap. Just last semester before they switched to mostly digital cameras for our program I spent over five-hundred dollars on 16mm black and white film. If he's doing a day in the life video using good lighting and professional quality DV tapes it would cheapen it and its reality/voyeuristic view nature. Using the crappier stuff could definitely be seen as an artisitic choice. (desperately trying to find reasons why he's such a cheap bastard)

Best Buy is not a supermarket, it is my Mecca.

Kytt

« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2008, 20:35 »

What's wrong with Hi-8? It's digital...

RallyMonkey

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:19 »

There is no lack in quality compared to price ranges for DV tape. It's just a matter of if you want to risk frame drops on the cheaper DV tapes.

doki

« Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:27 »

I'll do it!

im boring, but ill do it

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #14 on: 04 Jan 2008, 17:07 »

From my experience the frame drops have only happened to me when I've been using a shitty program/cable to switch em. Use a USB and Windows Movie maker and sure you'll get more frame drops then if you use Final Cut Pro and a firewire 800. And the camera you use will have something to do with it too. Doesn't matter how good you're DV is, if you're using a low-end home video camera with a single chip recording RGB then its still gonna look shitty and unprofessional. And since that's what I have access to during the holidays, I'm still not participating.

PretentiousYoungSuitors

« Reply #15 on: 04 Jan 2008, 17:14 »

So, I have experience  in film acting... if your dp is near me i could potentially do it, or i can see if my housemate wants to do it, he has a few films under his belt.

GenericName

• Noooooooo
    • DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: 04 Jan 2008, 17:34 »

So you mean, we can't do this with the cheap Kodak digital cameras we got for Christmas?
Sometimes I see a terrible post so I click and look back at every post that person has ever made. That is why I never have time to actually post things.

RallyMonkey

« Reply #17 on: 05 Jan 2008, 09:12 »

I don't think a lot of you understand what's going on. You don't need any experience in acting, if anything, that would hinder the experiment. There is no DP. There shouldn't be any lighting.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jan 2008, 10:06 »

I'll give it a go, but at the moment I only have access to a terrible camera.
Pages: [1]   Go Up