THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm moving, I think.  (Read 33080 times)

treefingers

I'm moving, I think.
« on: 02 Jan 2008, 21:44 »

I'm thinking of moving to the UK and am seeking some advice on the topic.

My questions are as follows:

-Which areas are worth reading into?
-How much money should I be saving to make this move?
-What are some big cultural differences? (I figure I should get an opinion from someone who actually knows seeing how my only means of education is google.)

I'm sure I have other questions but I can't remember them. I've done a bit of research but I'm still a bit cloudy on a few things. Any help or advice would really be appreciated. Thanks.

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
Re: I'm moving, I think.
« Reply #1 on: 02 Jan 2008, 21:45 »

The spelling is all wacky in the UK. 
I've got a small sticky-out scar like a third nipple just under my right manboob from where I was bitten by another kid in Year 3.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #2 on: 02 Jan 2008, 21:47 »

They think that grilling things from above isn't completely ridiculous.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan 2008, 21:51 »

What's ridiculous about it? How else do you possibly grill something?

Oh, they typically smoke a lot more than your average person can get used to, but I guess this depends on where you are living right now.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

treefingers

« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:03 »

illinois...

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:12 »

Where in Illinois?
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

treefingers

« Reply #6 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:14 »

about 45 minutes south of chicago in a town called manteno.

C Patrick Carolan

« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:23 »

Property in the UK is stupidly expensive, so if you're planning on living somewhere, take lots of money. Yeah, even if you'll just be renting.

treefingers

« Reply #8 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:27 »

I sort of figured as much. Rent is payed per week, is it not?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #9 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:28 »

...Sorry, but I'm a little confused.
If you don't know anything about the UK why do you want to move there?

treefingers

« Reply #10 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:31 »

It's somewhere I've always been interested in living. I've done a bit of research but I'd like a little more information from people who know it first hand. I certainly don't want to live in Shit town, USA my entire life either.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #11 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:37 »

The spelling is all wacky in the US. 

FIX'D :-D

Jooooosh

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #12 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:39 »

The spelling is all wackuy in the UK. 

fixd
fast-food for thought

treefingers

« Reply #13 on: 02 Jan 2008, 22:50 »

spelling, shmelling.

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:00 »

Their desserts are wierd.

Exhibit A:

I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

treefingers

« Reply #15 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:05 »

is that dolphin safe?

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #16 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:14 »

Their desserts are weird.

Fix'd

And yeah, they are. Brawn anyone?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #17 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:15 »

Spotted Dick is the least dolphin-safe thing in the entire world.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #18 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:34 »

Is... is that ham?
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #19 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:36 »

Swing and a miss.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #20 on: 02 Jan 2008, 23:54 »

(People rarely answer questions seriously here. Yeesh).

Eh, moving to the UK is silly, after Illinois.

Why move somewhere you can never ever be a citizen? And that has shit weather? And where the people pronounce "shit" as "shite"? And they call car trunks "boots"?

I say research the States a bit more before hopping across The Pond. Pick a state that has a coast line. We have much better food, that's for DAMN sure. mmmmm.. Mexican food.

If you super dooper want to move to the UK, go look at prices as far as living under a roof. Then try to secure a job before going. Then sit down and figure out if you'd be able to afford a living space with what they're going to pay you. Once you realize that's hopeless, don't give up hope on leaving Shit Town, USA. There are a lot of Less Shitty Towns here in the US, yannow. There are even cities.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #21 on: 03 Jan 2008, 00:00 »

Steer clear of London and all surrounding areas (the "Home Counties"). There are some lovely places in that part of England, but there are too many people there and 90% of them are arseholes. If it weren't for family obligations whenever I visit the U.K. I'd never go south of Herefordshire (which is beautiful).
« Last Edit: 03 Jan 2008, 00:04 by Inlander »

thegreatbuddha

« Reply #22 on: 03 Jan 2008, 00:46 »

Swing and a miss.

Google says it's headcheese. Close enough for me. My point was pork shouldn't be for dessert.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jan 2008, 00:48 »

I wasn't offering you desert, I was showing everyone a traditional English lunch meat.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jan 2008, 00:56 »

And that has shit weather?

I say research the States a bit more before hopping across The Pond. Pick a state that has a coast line. We have much better food, that's for DAMN sure. mmmmm.. Mexican food.

The weather is temperate which means where I live, at least, we get 6-7 months of really nice weather.

It's true there's actually an embargo on good food in the UK. We've been living off sheep brains for the past 6 years.

Caiphana

• Curry sauce
  • WHOOSH
    • dA
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jan 2008, 01:23 »

I'm a spoiled brat. We get 12 months of smiley good time weather. Never drops below freezing, unless there's some sort of freak storm of doom.

Gets a little boring though, I'll give you that. And we get earthquakes every decade or two.
..so long as the word "cookie" is in your country's vocabulary, it's an okay place to be.

Those who forget the past may be doomed to repeat it, but those who refuse to learn from the past and move on are fucking idiots.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jan 2008, 03:05 »

Yeah, just move to a non-shitty part of the US. Probably much less of a hassle than trying to immigrate.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

öde

« Reply #27 on: 03 Jan 2008, 03:07 »

Or emigrate.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #28 on: 03 Jan 2008, 04:47 »

Steer clear of London and all surrounding areas (the "Home Counties"). There are some lovely places in that part of England, but there are too many people there and 90% of them are arseholes. If it weren't for family obligations whenever I visit the U.K. I'd never go south of Herefordshire (which is beautiful).

The Home Counties aren't that bad, they're just so expensive that the rent or a mortgage can render most people completely skint.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #29 on: 03 Jan 2008, 05:07 »

Man, you guys have no sense of adventure do you?

Just to clear a few things up:

Nobody here eats spotted dick and I've never even heard of brawn. Curry is our national dish.
I'm damn sure you can become a citizen (were you thinking of Germany perhaps? I think it is nearly impossible there although I could be wrong).
The weather isn't all that bad.
'Shite' is an excellent word.
Yes, it's expensive to live here, but if you steer clear of London and the Home Counties then you'll be alright. For one thing they're expensive, and also the South is a rubbish cultural backwater with no style or sophistication.
Basically, your big problem will be: why should the UK government let you work in the country? Do you have a specific trade? Are you planning to study (this is probably the easiest way to get a visa). If you were just planning to move over here and take a minimum-wage job then I don't rate your chances of getting a work visa too highly.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
« Reply #30 on: 03 Jan 2008, 05:12 »

Not all the south is bad. London is ok, just busy and crowded and expensive. I live in Brighton which yes, is expensive but is also fucking amazing. Other than that I'd suggest Edinburgh, or Manchester. Maybe Bristol.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

öde

« Reply #31 on: 03 Jan 2008, 05:15 »

I will trade you my room in Bournemouth for anything oh god please

treefingers

« Reply #32 on: 03 Jan 2008, 06:23 »

I'm aware of the cities in America, of course. I didn't say I was cultureless, I just implied that the town I live in sucks. I plan on studying art if I move to the UK. Also, I'm already working at a license for hairdressing (which I'm actually quite good at and could potentially make me a lot of money). I haven't finished school or saved enough money for my future plans yet, but I'll get there...slowly.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
« Reply #33 on: 03 Jan 2008, 06:25 »

I'm thinking of moving to the UK and am seeking some advice on the topic.

Where do you imply this? Because this looks a lot like you're saying you just want to move to another country...
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

öde

« Reply #34 on: 03 Jan 2008, 06:28 »

There's an art school here! Only £340 a month for my room!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jan 2008, 06:43 »

Whatever you do, you definitely shouldn't move to Chicago to go to art school. You might have me as a teacher.  :-o

Peet

• Curry sauce
  • The Second Gabber
« Reply #36 on: 03 Jan 2008, 06:51 »

Quote from: Slick
I think Astaldo should be the next Dr. Who

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #37 on: 03 Jan 2008, 07:27 »

Lincoln and Derbyshire are beautiful places, I'd probably avoid Northern cities (and probably cities altogether) if you want to see anything other than commercial shops and crowds. A lot of English people don't take too kindly to Americans acting overly loud or boisterous so i'd probably try keep that to a minimum lest you care to be known as "that American kid" no matter how long you live here. British food isn't too bad, and if you don't like it you don't have to eat it. You can always eat Indian/m
Mexican/Chinese etc. Again, i don't know anyone that eats spotted dick and i have no idea what the other image is supposed to be of. You should also probably forget about british stereotype completely, we don't drink tea with the queen and we don't have bad teeth. Forget the word "British", i don't know anyone who would like to be referred to as British.  
"The system works a bit like a car wash. The man puts his penis in a chamber and presses a button to start the jets of liquid latex, sucked from a detachable cartridge."

2wenty7

« Reply #38 on: 03 Jan 2008, 08:17 »

Southern England isn't bad. Hampshire's a nice place to live, i've been here 18 years and I have no problem with it. Depends how far south you go really. You don't want to go to that South-East.South-West is much better. I'd also avoid too far North, Manchester and Liverpool have funny accents you can laugh at, but I can't see much else appealing there.

As far as food goes, you can't beat a good chippy or roast beef.

Uber Ritter

• Curry sauce
« Reply #39 on: 03 Jan 2008, 08:22 »

I think the concerns brought up about jobs/visas/living expenses/housing are probably going to be the biggest ones you have to deal with when you move.  With the Dollar as it is now the money you hoard to go over there and get you started will probably get you not that much once it's converted into Pounds.  So it sounds to me like having a job lined up before you go would be pretty important since your savings won't last you long.  Also there's the Visa thing.  Right now if I remember right British real estate is even pricier than it is over here (based on household income, if I recall), so you'd probably want to move to a place where you can find work but the rents won't be out of reach (so, as far as I can tell, not London).  'Course, London is so pricey partly because it has so many jobs so finding one might be a bit harder in another town.
I don't know why we are here, but I'm pretty sure that it is not in order to enjoy ourselves.
-Ludwig Wittgenstein

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #40 on: 03 Jan 2008, 08:29 »

Did people just insult Leeds? Somebody hold my coat, them's fighting words! Nothing but commercial shops? I'll have you know we have one of the best preserved Cistercian abbeys in the UK and one of the best autonomous social centres. So nyer. London is horrifically expensive not really because of the amount of jobs but because so many people want to live there prices get driven up. Unless you have a lot of money or a good job lined up, avoid it. It does actually have a lot of cool stuff going on it though, my comments about the South in general before were somewhat flippant (in case you can't guess, in the UK the North looks down on the South and vice versa, although often not in too serious a manner. The South is a lot more expensive in general though).

If you're thinking of going to art school, then you want to go here:

Glasgow School Of Art. It was designed by Rennie Mackintosh. Nuff said. Plus, Glasgow is a really nice city to live in, very friendly people and one of the best art scenes in the country.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #41 on: 03 Jan 2008, 08:31 »

I'm damn sure you can become a citizen (were you thinking of Germany perhaps? I think it is nearly impossible there although I could be wrong).

Not impossible, but you just have to live there for eight years before you can even apply. So kind of a pain in the behind, if you will.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #42 on: 03 Jan 2008, 08:49 »

True, and I very much wish it was easier for people to go and live where they'd like to. Still, I doubt there are many countries where gaining citizenship is a terribly easy process.

Kytt

« Reply #43 on: 03 Jan 2008, 10:28 »

There's an art school here! Only £340 a month for my room!

For the OP's benefit, that's $26,941.73 US.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #44 on: 03 Jan 2008, 10:32 »

(People rarely answer questions seriously here. Yeesh).

Eh, moving to the UK is silly, after Illinois.

Why move somewhere you can never ever be a citizen? And that has shit weather? And where the people pronounce "shit" as "shite"? And they call car trunks "boots"?

If you super dooper want to move to the UK, go look at prices as far as living under a roof. Then try to secure a job before going. Then sit down and figure out if you'd be able to afford a living space with what they're going to pay you. Once you realize that's hopeless, don't give up hope on leaving Shit Town, USA. There are a lot of Less Shitty Towns here in the US, yannow. There are even cities.

i completely agree. you live in the midwest... no wonder you think america sucks! (i lived in michigan up until a few months ago. now i live in california permanently and arizona temporarily for work). move somewhere else in the US first. choose a direction east or west and go until you hit ocean. hell, try moving there with no job even. you could be really adventurous and just start driving somewhere without even a place to live figured out yet. a friend of mine recently moved to LA from michigan with no job and no place to stay... i can't even imagine. find out how difficult it is to do it in your own country, then consider doing it in another country where you won't be a citizen and people might be more likely to discriminate against you when it comes to getting jobs, even minimum wage ones.

you say you want to go to art school in the UK... do you know anything about how tuition works over there? i'm not sure myself, but you have to know that in the US people that aren't citizens, even people that aren't residents in the state where the school is, pay a hell of a lot more in tuition than citizens and residents. find out what kind of criteria for citizenship and residency they have for university tuition, or what the costs are in general. you may be able to afford a flat in the UK, but can you also afford the tuition?

if you want to move to the UK, awesome. barring nuclear disaster and the polar ice caps melting, the UK will still be there after you've gotten your degree and have some kind of marketable skill that can get you a job over there. some patience and some intelligence about this now will save you a lot of trouble later.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

TwinkyToes

« Reply #45 on: 03 Jan 2008, 11:11 »

save up for at least 6 months and a plane tickey back if it doesnt' work out! then go and live off the savings until you find a job/get tired of england and move to somewhere better, like paris

mooface

« Reply #46 on: 03 Jan 2008, 11:23 »

do you have any idea how depressed you are going to feel when you convert your dollars into pounds?!  and then realize that the pound, although it is worth twice as much as the dollar, will only buy you half as much as the dollar does?!  england does not make any sense!

i kind of wish people would stop posting boards about advice for moving to other countries.  it seems really silly and pointless to me.

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #47 on: 03 Jan 2008, 13:03 »

Gordon Brown?
"The system works a bit like a car wash. The man puts his penis in a chamber and presses a button to start the jets of liquid latex, sucked from a detachable cartridge."

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #48 on: 03 Jan 2008, 14:34 »

move to somewhere better, like paris

I've never understod the atraction of Paris, or France for that matter.  You now have to pay to use the freakin public toilets.  If you're American, the people look down their greasy, unwashed noses at you like you were the piece of dog shit they just walked by.  And you know why the river is brown?  Its cause it isn't a real river, its an exposed sewage line.  I found the whole city to be disgusting.  The smell reminded me of the time I helped my local county fix a wastewater treatment plant.  (Which is why you should never call the local Bishop, The Fueher in the middle of a catholic school assembly, but that's a different story).

As for the UK, I have a couple of friends who live there.  They like it well enough.  But the best thing to do before moving, make sure you have at least some place you can stay for several months and still be financially stable.  Having a job and a place to stay is probably the best bet.
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #49 on: 03 Jan 2008, 14:50 »

Not really.

I actually think all of the problems the UK faces have their roots before most of the politicians of this era were even alive.

Thatcher?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up