THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FUCKING TEST MATCH INDIA VS AUSTRALIA!!!!  (Read 12118 times)

Caspian

• The Tickler
FUCKING TEST MATCH INDIA VS AUSTRALIA!!!!
« on: 06 Jan 2008, 00:29 »

CLARKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, what a class test match. Sure, the umpiring was terrible, but the game was so closely fought, and the last hour was easily the best test match I have ever seen. Tendulkar getting another century (what a legend), Hogg surprising everyone with his 79

Damn, I love cricket so much.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
Re: FUCKING TEST MATCH INDIA VS AUSTRALIA!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jan 2008, 01:23 »

Crickets keep me awake at night with their incessant chirping.  They piss me off.

[/terrible joke]
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2008, 01:24 »

Now, I know people are going to be offended by my use of this word, and for that I apologise in advance, but when I saw the replay of Ponting appealing for the "catch" when he was standing about two metres from the batsman and the ball quite obviously came off the pad and wasn't within a foot of the bat or the glove, my immediate thought was "what a cunt". As of this test match I have lost all respect for the Australian cricket team. I don't give a shit that they've now won sixteen test matches in a row, because in  my opinion they cheated in all but name to win this one. Yes, the umpiring was appalling - and almost universally to the detriment of the Indians - but the Australians colluded in a lot of the decisions with bad appeals and a refusal to walk when they knew they were out. I used to like Andrew Symonds: give or take a drunken incident or two, he seemed an all right bloke. Now I consider him to be a cheat: he knew he was out, and he stood his ground and went on to make a century that played a decisive role in the test. I know, I know, he's not obliged to walk, but it strikes me as deeply sad that the phrase "It's just not cricket" can now be applied to everything in life except cricket. There's supposed to be a code of conduct in the game, and claiming that it's a professional high-stakes sport is just not a good enough excuse. For so long now the Australian cricket team has been streets ahead of the rest of the world, raising the bar again and again - now the only example they have left to set to the rest of the world is that of sportsmanship. But they're not doing that. They're abusing their position as the undisputed champions of the game to utterly debase the sport. The longer Australia continues in this vein, the poorer cricket will be. I refuse to acknowledge this result, and though I'll watch the rest of the series I'll be hoping desperately for India to finish it at two-all, because the Australians simply do not deserve to win.

And in case anyone was wondering, I've lived in Australia all my life.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jan 2008, 01:33 »

Yeah I was wondering why there were so many letters in the weekend Australian about cricket.

Ruined my fucking paper.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jan 2008, 01:36 »

if it weren't for the giddy demeanor of my sister, brothers and father I wouldn't have known the cricket was on.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #5 on: 06 Jan 2008, 03:11 »

INlander, while I can see your arguments, it kind of irks me that you solely accuse the Australians of doing this. I will always remember the catch Ganguly enthusiastically appealed for in the '03 World Cup where it had clearly bounced before it he 'caught' it. As far as I know, Gilchrist is one of the few cricket players in the world at this level who walks, and while they do appeal some occaisonally bad decisions, they're certainly not the only team who does it.

The Australian Cricket Team is a ruthless unit, but they are not alone in their appealing for dodgy decisions. if they weren't so dominate, no one would bring this up.

They're abusing their position as the undisputed champions of the game to utterly debase the sport.

Again, I fail to see this. The sportsmanship within the game hasn't changed much over the years. Sure, they are ruthless in their approach. But they've also showed the world exactly what a cricket team is capable of. Dare I say that the current Australian cricket team is the most professional sports team EVER?

because the Australians simply do not deserve to win.

False. Well, kinda. The win was brought about by a few dodgy umpiring decisions, but the first test was convincingly Australia's.

And honestly, just because Australia are so damn good doesn't mean you should hate them. (You may deny this, I think it's one of the main reasons why so many people dislike them). Enjoy this supreme domination of the rest of the world while it lasts.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #6 on: 06 Jan 2008, 03:20 »

Supreme domination at a boring as batshit game nobody cares about.

hooray

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #7 on: 06 Jan 2008, 03:55 »

Why are those who hate on cricket always so agressive?
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #8 on: 06 Jan 2008, 03:59 »

Why are those who hate on cricket always so agressive?

They're secretly aware of what a beautiful game it is, but it's just too damn intelligent for them. It goes over their heads. It's the same reason why people hate on abstract art.. they just aren't smart enough. It's sad, really.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #9 on: 06 Jan 2008, 04:32 »

The Australian Cricket Team is a ruthless unit, but they are not alone in their appealing for dodgy decisions.

You mean "everybody else is doing it"? That doesn't really make it right. I stand by my assertion that Australia should set an example of sportsmanship to the rest of the world, just as they've set an example in every other facet of the game. In fact it's pretty much the only area they've got left to improve in.

Dare I say that the current Australian cricket team is the most professional sports team EVER?

Exactly! That's the problem! Professionalism in sport inevitably means getting maximum return for your investment, i.e.: winning at all costs. By this measure it could be argued that an events such as the Tour de France or the 100 metre sprint are the most professional sporting events in the world, because so many competitors in those events are prepared to do absolutely anything to win - because winning at sport is their profession. I don't see professionalism in sport as entirely meritorious or admirable.

False. Well, kinda.

Well yeah, okay, I was jumping the gun a bit there. It's too early to say if Australia deserves to win the series when we're only half way through the four tests. However nothing anybody could say could possibly convince me that at this stage, Australia deserves to be 2-0 up and to have already retained the Border-Gavuskar trophy (why every single minor sporting contest on the planet has to be a competition for a trophy these days is another irksome issue, but I won't get into that here . . .).

just because Australia are so damn good doesn't mean you should hate them. (You may deny this, I think it's one of the main reasons why so many people dislike them).

I don't hate them because they're so damn good. I do think it's incredibly dull: thrashings are fun every now and then but sport needs genuine competition in order to be interesting. I don't hate the Australian cricket team for their success, but I do hate them for their attitude and approach to the game: bullying, fibbing, and haranguing their way to victory and yet complaining bitterly when any other team should dare to employ similar tactics against them. The Australian cricket team gives off a strong impression of being petulant and spoiled, and I find it to be incredibly distasteful, extremely disappointing, and deeply embarrassing.
« Last Edit: 06 Jan 2008, 04:41 by Inlander »

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #10 on: 06 Jan 2008, 05:14 »

The Australian Cricket Team is a ruthless unit, but they are not alone in their appealing for dodgy decisions.

You mean "everybody else is doing it"? That doesn't really make it right. I stand by my assertion that Australia should set an example of sportsmanship to the rest of the world, just as they've set an example in every other facet of the game. In fact it's pretty much the only area they've got left to improve in.
While I agree with you that it doesn't make it right, I'm saying that attacking them because of it is a bit unfair. Your original rant leaves me the impression that you think Australia is worse then the rest of the world, which doesn't really fly imo.

False. Well, kinda.

Well yeah, okay, I was jumping the gun a bit there. It's too early to say if Australia deserves to win the series when we're only half way through the four tests. However nothing anybody could say could possibly convince me that at this stage, Australia deserves to be 2-0 up and to have already retained the Border-Gavuskar trophy (why every single minor sporting contest on the planet has to be a competition for a trophy these days is another irksome issue, but I won't get into that here . . .).
Again, I find myself agreeing with you regarding the trophy renaming thing. I personally think Australia deserves to be 1-0 up (but I'll be more then happy to take the other win as well.) I'm a big fan of the indian cricket team (indeed, every team except the South Africans seem like a pretty coll bunch of dudes). However, it seems to be pretty clear that Australia is easily the best team, and thus deserves to win.

just because Australia are so damn good doesn't mean you should hate them. (You may deny this, I think it's one of the main reasons why so many people dislike them).

I don't hate them because they're so damn good. I do think it's incredibly dull: thrashings are fun every now and then but sport needs genuine competition in order to be interesting. I don't hate the Australian cricket team for their success, but I do hate them for their attitude and approach to the game: bullying, fibbing, and haranguing their way to victory and yet complaining bitterly when any other team should dare to employ similar tactics against them. The Australian cricket team gives off a strong impression of being petulant and spoiled, and I find it to be incredibly distasteful, extremely disappointing, and deeply embarrassing.

This is what I was talking about originally! The Australians aren't the only team that bully, fib and intimidate their opponents. Remember Sreeranth in India? Or, (not quite sure what it comes under) the English throwing jellybeans on the pitch against India? I'll admit that the Australian team needs a better image. But to hate them is pretty hypocritical, considering that every team does it to a pretty similiar extent. (Unless if you hate every other cricket team as well.) I don't remember the Australians complaining too much.. or at all.. about Sreeranth crossing the line in india. The whole 'monkey chants' thing may be an issue, but from what I understand the media brought that up, not Symonds himself. The Australians don't complain, because complaining would be a weakness, and the Australian Cricket Team has no time for that.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #11 on: 06 Jan 2008, 05:17 »

Maybe, we can just agree that the Australian Cricket Team is a cold, ruthless bunch of very talented professionals? for me that's a good thing, for you, not such a good thing, and I think that sums up both of our arguments quite well.  :mrgreen:

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #12 on: 06 Jan 2008, 05:23 »

That was the most pointless/worst double post.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #13 on: 06 Jan 2008, 05:28 »

That was the most pointless/worst double post.

It wasn't a double post. I am just trying to prevent an epic quote argument, as it was hard enough to get the formatting right for that one.

SO MANY QUOTES IN SQUARE BRACKETS.

SO.

MANY.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 06 Jan 2008, 05:47 »

The Australians don't complain, because complaining would be a weakness, and the Australian Cricket Team has no time for that.

I seem to recall Ricky Ponting having a whinge of pretty epic proportions when he was run out by a substitute fielder in the Ashes series in England.

I didn't hate the Australian team until this test, when it became apparent to me just how low they've sunk. When Steve Waugh was captain they also were also utterly ruthless, but at least they seemed to be ruthless with a bit of class, if that's possible. Now they just seem like a bunch of spoiled brats with a born-to-win mentality. You're probably right, other teams are probably no better, but to be honest I don't follow cricket that closely: I watch it every Australian summer, when it's being played in Australia, and the rest of the time I forget about it. Plus, the problem is that the Australian team doesn't need to behave so badly in order to wipe the floor with every other team in the world nine times out of ten: it seems that they choose to win nasty when winning nice would be just as easy for them, and I think that's pretty poor form.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #15 on: 06 Jan 2008, 06:00 »

I didn't hate the Australian team until this test, when it became apparent to me just how low they've sunk.

Honestly, I fail to see why. Sure, Symonds should've walked, but the whole "walk/wait on the umpire" argument has flared up many times over the last couple of years. Nothing in this test seemed to be different from anything that's gone before, and as someone who follows this game religiously (I'm fairly good at it too ^__^) I feel like I'm in a good position to say "This is nothing new."

Plus, the problem is that the Australian team doesn't need to behave so badly in order to wipe the floor with every other team in the world nine times out of ten: it seems that they choose to win nasty when winning nice would be just as easy for them, and I think that's pretty poor form.

That's an interesting point you make, and while I'd agree that they could be a bit classier- a bit more gracious in victory, that's for sure- you could also argue that much of the dominance comes from the mastery of that whole 'mental disintegration' that Waugh pioneered. Watch the Australians in the field- constantly encouraging each other, constantly applying pressure etc.- and I honestly think that's one of the main reasons why they win so matches. One could argue that the Indians have a much better/more established batting line up (Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, whoever the other opener is) but the Australian team just does not let up. Being a bit more polite on the field would be nice to see, sure, but I think that a lot of what has driven Australia to such success is this ruthlessness, this force of will.

Also, regarding walking- what is your opinion on it? I'm personally a believer in that the player does whatever the umpire says- whether wrong or right (I had this before this test, as well  :-P ). In my mind, the whole 'walk when you know you're out' is a noble opinion, but what about the flipside? If you think you're not out, do you stand your ground? It's pretty strange really.

Finally: Sorry about keeping this debate going for so long, it's just something I'm rather passionate about, and other boards I go to rarely discuss cricket, so when there's a chance I jump on it.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jan 2008, 06:21 »

I think batsmen should walk, however I don't think it should be legislated for in the rules of the game because to do so would completely defeat the purpose: cricket, more than any other sport of which I'm aware, has a long tradition of "gentlemanly" behaviour that exists outside the specific laws of the game. Personally I think that if a batsman knows he's out then he should go, regardless of what the umpire says; conversely if the umpire says he's out when the batsman is adamant that he isn't, he should defer to the umpire's decision. The golden rule of all sport is "don't argue with the officials". Walking when the umpire hasn't given you out isn't really arguing, as I don't think it could possibly cause offense to the umpire. Standing your ground when given out, on the other hand, is a direct challenge to the umpire's authority. I think it's reasonable to allow a batsman to stand his ground for a few moments just because it's a high-pressure environment, and you've got to let the batsman vent a little bit of frustration in this way. But ultimately he should leave the field without having to be told to a second time.

A related issue, and similarly divisive, is batsmen shaking their head or making some other indication believing themselves to be not out, trying to influence the umpire before he gives his decision. I don't see a problem with this at all: if the fielding side is allowed to make a big hullabaloo and appeal for a wicket when they think they've got a reasonable case, why shouldn't the batsman be similarly allowed to argue his case to the contrary? But a lot of people seem to view this as the basmsan disrespecting the umpire.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jan 2008, 15:42 »

I like curling better than cricket, when it comes to esoteric-to-Americans sports.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #18 on: 06 Jan 2008, 16:14 »

I have a friend who is completely obsessed with curling, but he graduated and moved away and got a job so the chances of me learning how to curl are now slim. Never did I think it looked interesting, but he promised me that I would have fun if I ever learned.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 06 Jan 2008, 16:50 »

Pfft, curling doesn't even go for one single whole day.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #20 on: 06 Jan 2008, 17:39 »

The only cricket I can stand is drunken beach cricket on christmas day with my family. It is the best kind of cricket, because there isn't a single fascist umpire making decisions, and if you refuse to walk after you get given out, you get shit thrown at you by all the people who aren't playing.

So its a little bit like playing in Sri Lanka

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 06 Jan 2008, 19:45 »

Did anybody else ever play French Cricket when they were a kid? Or was it just a weird thing that my family did at Christmas?

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #22 on: 06 Jan 2008, 20:09 »

We played it at school in the afternoon on whatever day it was that we played sport in the afternoon, but I think the experiments of playing it with my family went really badly. French cricket is the one where you have a central wicket, and whoever catches the ball bowls it back at you or something weird like that, right?

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jan 2008, 20:12 »

Yes. Amazingly (or perhaps not) there's a Wikipedia entry for it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_cricket

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #24 on: 06 Jan 2008, 21:20 »

Dudes, Ultimate

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #25 on: 06 Jan 2008, 21:45 »

Ultimate really seems more like netball than any of the sports its compared to on that page

Leinad

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #26 on: 07 Jan 2008, 00:02 »

Reading this thread I was going to say something about the Patriots, and then something about Badminton, but now I'm just going to say:

Are there rules? And since when do players in any sport have more authority than the umps?

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
« Reply #27 on: 07 Jan 2008, 00:07 »

In other cricketing news, New Zealand finally found someone they can beat in a test: Bangladesh!

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #28 on: 07 Jan 2008, 00:28 »

In other cricketing news, New Zealand finally found someone they can beat in a test: Bangladesh!

Did you see their last one day result? Bangladesh- all out for 93. New Zealand chased that down IN SIX OVERS. SIX. OVERS.

Also: Quite a lot of people play french cricket over here. It's good times.

anditsdiscontents

• Emoticontraindication
  • my SimCity's bigger than your SimCity
    • last.fm
« Reply #29 on: 07 Jan 2008, 19:21 »

Holy primate taunt, batman!

Harbhajan Singh banned for THREE TEST MATCHES (that's fifteen days' playing time, Americans and Euros!)
Indian team threatening to boycott the rest of the series!
Indian cricket board going after Brad Hogg for calling someone a 'bastard'!
The power of the ICI challenged!

it's an international incident. kinda.
Hey, it looks like I am irrevocably damned, I should probably get some dancing in.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #30 on: 07 Jan 2008, 21:18 »

I like curling better than cricket, when it comes to esoteric-to-Americans sports.
Hey man, curlers will fuck your shit up! Don't even THINK about messing with a middle-aged fat man from Moose Jaw, son.
I like the way you work it.

Gryff

« Reply #31 on: 07 Jan 2008, 22:29 »

Did you see their last one day result? Bangladesh- all out for 93. New Zealand chased that down IN SIX OVERS. SIX. OVERS.

Well, any team can afford to go crazy when they're only chasing 93. But yeah, it was still quite impressive.

But see, New Zealand is actually a really decent one-day side. They're ranked third in the world and are quite capable, I think, of beating any team on any day. In tests, on the other hand, they're playing absolutely abysmally: ranked seventh, ahead of only the West Indies and Bangladesh, and seemingly unable to play with any sort of consistency over a full five days.

We're playing England later in the year, and I am really hoping that we won't get absolutely dicked...

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #32 on: 08 Jan 2008, 10:00 »

So what's it, 5 weeks until pitchers and catcher report?
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Gryff

« Reply #33 on: 08 Jan 2008, 23:09 »

No no, they're called bowlers and keepers, veep.
Pages: [1]   Go Up