THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 08:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: Top 10 Albums of 2008  (Read 300939 times)

Chymes

• Plantmonster
Re: Top 10 Albums of 2008
« Reply #750 on: 28 Dec 2008, 17:39 »

Just checked a few of these so called new good bands songs out on youtube, and they suck, girl talk, I can sorta dig, but I wouldn't choose to listen to it. It's good to know I've not really missed out much by not paying attention and finding old stuff I missed the first time round. Not listened to much new except the new murs album (let down, about 5 good tracks), and daft punk alive to the point I played it to the death. Stiill, I haven't given the new Portishead release a chance yet though, suspect I want to. I also wouldn't mind checking out "the owls" mentioned on page 1 if someone wants to upload it again, lol. :P

DarkAvenger

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #751 on: 28 Dec 2008, 18:08 »

My Top Ten
  1. Okkervil River - "The Stand Ins"
  2. Blitzen Trapper - "Furr"
  3. Xiu Xiu - "Women As Lovers"
  4. The New Year - "S/T"
  5. Shearwater - "Rook"
  6. Marnie Stern - "This Is It and I Am It and You Are It and So Is That and He Is It and She Is It and It Is It and That Is That"
  7. Gojira - "The Way of All Flesh"
  8. Sloan - "Parallel Play"
  9. This Will Destroy You - "S/T"
10. Krallice - "S/T"

Honorable Mentions: Joan of arc - "Boo Human", Make Believe - "Going to the Bone Church", She & Him "Volume 1", The Mountain Goats - "Heretic Pride", The Notwist - "The Devil, You + Me", and Flogging Molly "Float"

This was actually a pretty good year in music.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2008, 18:11 by DarkAvenger »

youthcant

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Bigfoot is a very lonely fellow.
and
« Reply #752 on: 28 Dec 2008, 18:20 »

10) Crystal Castles - "Untrust Us"
9) Why? - "Alopecia"
8) Beach House - "Devotion"
7) The Black Keys - "Attack and Release"
6) Wild Sweet Orange - "We Have Cause To Be Uneasy"
5) Bohren & der Club of Gore - "Dolres"
4) Mr. Bear - "These Machines"
3) Western Fifth - "Stand Like a Theif"
2) Okkervil River - "The Stand-Ins"
1) Balmorhea - "River Arms"

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • oh hi
« Reply #753 on: 28 Dec 2008, 21:02 »

yeah, and we all know it's all about being cool, not actually liking music.

Right, nobody makes big extensive lists with commentary and formatting in order to look cool.

I bet you also believe nobody smokes cigarettes to look cool.  Because it is a scientific fact that smoking makes you look cool.  In fact, it's pretty much the only valid reason I can think of to smoke.  It's why I never want a cigarette unless I'm out at a bar or club.

God, I wish people would get over their fears of seeming "shallow" and admit this shit to themselves.
Man, this thread really makes me want to suck some cock.

Töys

• Plantmonster
  • PMA - Positive Mental Attitude
« Reply #754 on: 29 Dec 2008, 10:28 »

God, I wish people would get over their fears of seeming "shallow" and admit this shit to themselves.

Maybe the person who needs to admit he's shallow is you, because you really are. How's that working out for ya?
Strong man, on the coastline of nursing women

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #755 on: 29 Dec 2008, 11:11 »

i don't know if you can say anything considering you have gnarls barkley on yr best of
*Takes off glove and ker-slaps*

So people don't like Soul anymore?

EDIT::
I'm shallow, I don't need anyone to tell me that.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #756 on: 29 Dec 2008, 11:27 »

If you want soul you need to listen to Erykah Badu and also to the year's best live album, Mavis Staples' Hope At The Hideout.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #757 on: 29 Dec 2008, 13:56 »

Maybe the person who needs to admit he's shallow is you

Everyone is shallow about some things.

Everyone.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #758 on: 29 Dec 2008, 15:02 »

If you want soul you need to listen to Erykah Badu and also to the year's best live album, Mavis Staples' Hope At The Hideout.
But of course.
rather than place the blame on somebody's undeveloped irony sensor, let's just blame the internet, k?
My Last.FM

phbihop

« Reply #759 on: 29 Dec 2008, 17:33 »

I think I need to add Ray LaMontagne's CD to my list. I didn't even know that it came out this year, but listened to it this weekend and think it's really good.

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • http://signalstonoise.tumblr.com
« Reply #760 on: 29 Dec 2008, 18:53 »

yeah, and we all know it's all about being cool, not actually liking music.

Right, nobody makes big extensive lists with commentary and formatting in order to look cool.

I bet you also believe nobody smokes cigarettes to look cool.  Because it is a scientific fact that smoking makes you look cool.  In fact, it's pretty much the only valid reason I can think of to smoke.  It's why I never want a cigarette unless I'm out at a bar or club.

that's jumping to a conclusion (and generalising) a bit, isn't it?

personally, i find half the fun of listening to music is being able to share it with others, and discovering new stuff myself.  and also having interesting discussions.  those are the reasons i post lists etc. on here.  fuck knows a lot of what made up my list in the listravaganza thread is hardly considered cool on this forum.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #761 on: 29 Dec 2008, 19:25 »

Hyperbole and irony are frequently used tools of satire.

Töys

• Plantmonster
  • PMA - Positive Mental Attitude
« Reply #762 on: 29 Dec 2008, 23:41 »

Everyone is shallow about some things.

Everyone.

if looking at the world like that makes you happy, then go ahead and believe that.  : )
Strong man, on the coastline of nursing women

spoon_of_grimbo

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #763 on: 30 Dec 2008, 04:02 »

Hyperbole and irony are frequently used tools of satire.

that post back there wasn't satire.  it was just sarcastic and bitter.  then again, i guess either of us could be right, what with the whole "impossible to tell people's emotion/mood through just text" thing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #764 on: 30 Dec 2008, 05:08 »

I was watching a really bad stand-up comedian once, and at one point in his set when a joke didn't get a laugh he suddenly said 'oh I'm sorry, that was satirical'. The entire crowd cracked up and the rest of his set was great. I still don't know if it was on purpose, but my friends and I were saying 'oh, I'm sorry, that was satirical' for weeks afterwards.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Jackie Blue

• BANNED
  • oh hi
« Reply #765 on: 30 Dec 2008, 10:10 »

that post back there wasn't satire.  it was just sarcastic and bitter. 

That's jumping to a conclusion.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #766 on: 30 Dec 2008, 16:25 »

apparently every year end list ever must include at least one rap album and at least one shitnothing band that no one else has ever heard of, preferably both

otherwise how will people know you are cool

I've never heard of HALF of the bands you talk about.
My Last.FM

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #767 on: 30 Dec 2008, 16:47 »

that is probably more of a generational thing though.
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #768 on: 31 Dec 2008, 12:45 »

Good point.

And for that matter, I'd also like to add Tyga's "No Introduction" album and "No Introduction- The Series" mixtape (came out before the album) to my top 10 albums for the year.
My Last.FM

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #769 on: 31 Dec 2008, 17:28 »

1. Deerhunter – Microcastle/Weird Era Cont.

Last year, Deerhunter were cyber-fellatiated by Pitchfork for their droning, pretentious sophomore album, Cryptograms. Don't get me wrong, I like Cryptograms a lot but listening to it in full feels like a chore, this being a major criticism of the album. Anyway, a year later I find out that Cox has somehow whipped up enough material for several solo albums and a double album for his main band. Cryptograms had to be recorded twice as the first session yielded nothing usable, they only did a second session because Liars in encouraged them to and the recorded it in 2 days. Whatever they said to Cox, has really sparked his creativity
Cox has himself a pretty large canvas on Microcastle/Weird Era Cont., he's splashed it with shades of blissful shoegaze, 50's pop, sexual ambiguity and an enveloping sense of warmth. The songs range from simple piano ballads ("Green Jacket"), Murmur era R.E.M. on "Focus Group" to the dreamy indie rock of "Agoraphobia".

2. Gang Gang Dance - Saint Dymphna

I left this record alone when it first came out because, quite frankly the first thing of theirs that I listened to was the RAWWAR EP they released to years prior to Saint Dymphna left a sour taste in my mouth. I downloaded this one day because I was bored and found that the whole record was really really catchy and danceable. There's definitely a lot going on in Saint Dymphna, synths, drum beats, altered vocals and samples (Most notably My Bloody Valentine on interlude "Vacuum") weaving their way in and out throughout the whole record creating a rich and dynamic whole.

3. Deerhoof – Offend Maggie

Deerhoof are awesome, part funk ("Snoopy Waves"), part indie rock and part weirdo j-rock/pop - is this a cliché now?

4. Titus Andronicus – The Airing of Grievances

Lo-fi indie rock, yay!

5. Fucked Up – The Chemistry of Common Life

It's punk but not punk, it's loud angry, melodic and takes a lot of chances with its diverse instrumentation and melodies. "Son of the Father" bursts out like Les Savvy Fav song, Pink Eyes sounds a lot like Tim Harrington. Its chorus is like the album's mission statement, "its hard enough being born in the first place/ who would ever want to be born again?" There's also an exploration of faith against reason and science and how meaning is found in the actual quest for answers on "No Epiphany" and "Days of Last"

6. Mount Eerie f/ Julie Doiron and Fred Squire – Lost Wisdom

I've kind of been disappointed by most Elverum's post Microphones' work but this album just seems complete. Doiron and Elverum's voices are so intricately intertwined throughout the whole album as melodies and counter melodies swirl around their voices. This only adds to the moments of catharsis that occur at least once in almost every song.

7. Shearwater - Rooks

More beautiful Romantic indie-folk rock from Jonathan Meiburg, I feel this record was largely overlooked this year and unfairly derided as a Talk Talk cover band. Yes, they did in fact cover "The Rainbow" and there's an obvious influence but Meiburg isn't trying to be them.

8. Hunchback – Pray for Scars

Christopher Alexander of CMG puts it best:
Rock n’ roll came calling for the four Monmouth County transplants of New Brunswick’s now defunct Hunchback, and it turns out their the sons and daughter that my dad never had. On their previous album, they turned “The Last Man on Earth” into one of the best Ramones songs never written. Pray for Scars turns the pop-punk down (although it’s still there: check “A Year and a Day” and the stupendous “Inside Out,” sung by the band’s drummer, Miranda), but the B-movies never stop. Most of all in the vocals of guitarist Mike (all last names are Hunchback in their universe), which sounds like an impersonation of a fourteen year old impersonating someone disturbed, likely from an abbreviated childhood of extreme isolation and trauma. It’s goofy and gets to be more than a little distracting, but it’s completely fucking awesome: “Is it too much to ask to put down the scalpel / and just hold you?” he sings in the beginning of “The Doctor,” next to a surf riff gone horribly wrong (and, when the band kicks it in, like maybe someone in Scratch Acid had written it). “Is it too much to ask, since I’m killing myself by cutting you up?” I mean, who says that, and in that tone of voice, with a straight face? Someone who has this kind of whiplash band behind him, recalling by turns Murder City Devils, the Jesus Lizard, Bleach-era Nirvana, and the earliest Mudhoney. It can only be described as unhinged precision, whenever it occurs: in the 11/8, hairpin bombast of “All that Fear Allows,” the out of time pop sludge of single “Werse Houses,” or in the lumbering, cavernous gut-splatter that kicks off the album, “The Bells, The Bells.” Like the Misfits at their best, Hunchback are simultaneously taking the piss and true believers in this horror business stuff. Their completely whacked out cover of Christina Aguilera’s “Beautiful” illustrates the point perfectly.

9. Grouper – Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill

Liz Harris makes beautiful dreamy music, on her first two albums they were hidden in fuzz with the melodies peeking through every now and then and the vocals inaudible. Dragging a Dead Deer Up a Hill, is more or less misty than fuzzy, the melodies, vocals, harmonies and song structure are more clearly defined but none the less eerie, subtle and beautiful.

Hon. Mentions (in no particular order):
British Sea Power, Portishead, Xiu Xiu, Beck, Abe Vigoda, No Age, the Ruby Suns, Vivian Girls, Snowman, Women, Why?, DJ Rupture, of Mont, Okkervil River, Feral Children, Parts and Labor, Ladyhawk, Ladyhawke, Marnie Stern, Mogwai, Crystal Antlers/Stilts/Castles (the fuck?), Destroyer, Bodies of Water, King Khan, Jay Reteard (although these two only release compilations this year), SM, Sic Alps, Rivers Cuomo, Make Believe, Wilderness, Nick Cave, of Montreal and Will Oldham.

Big Happy Captain

• Plantmonster
« Reply #770 on: 01 Jan 2009, 04:03 »

10. Evil Urges- My Morning Jacket
9. Ghosts From The Past- Bang Gang
8. Miniatures- Matthew Cooper
7. Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill- Grouper
6. Earth To The Dandy Warhols- Dandy Warhols
5. Grouper/Inca Ore Split
4. Ghosts I-IV- Nine Inch Nails
3. Heart On- Eagles Of Death Metal
2. 500 Experiences- This Noise Between Us
1. Electronic Projects For Musicians- Apples In Stereo

my fave album this year was a bside collection. Hopefully 2009 will be better. Grouper did fantastically this year AND introduced me to Inca Ore (who is now one of my favourite artists). This Noise Between Us have a website where you can download their 2 EPs for free, both came out this year and 500 Experiences is awesome synth-based ambient and dark ambient, includes a cover of Symphony No. 6. Nine Inch Nails Ghosts set was fantastic industrial ambient, and hes still way ahead of the game in music distribution, not just giving albums for free but actually experimenting with what else could work to help conserve the music industry.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #771 on: 01 Jan 2009, 07:33 »

I <3 everyone that puts Shearwater on their list. That's you, Tom, and maybe some others. God that album is amazing.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

MrBlu

• Duck attack survivor
  • I probably don't
« Reply #772 on: 01 Jan 2009, 10:05 »

I just remembered that I forgot to listen to "Electronic Projects For Musicians"...

... Oops... I'll listen to it while I play Silkroad.
My Last.FM

dancarter

• Curry sauce
    • http://dancarter.deviantart.com
« Reply #773 on: 03 Jan 2009, 15:05 »

1. Ohgr - Devils In My Details
2. Ad.ver.sary - Bone Music
3. Meat Beat Manifesto - Autoimmune
4. Beehatch - Brood
5. Bahntier - Venal
6. Hecq - Night Falls
7. ESA - The Sea and the Silence
8. Bitcrush - Epilogue In Waves (if you like Jesu.....)
9. End.user - Left
10. Floatpoint - Beam Error

Iron_Fist

• Larger than most fish
  • Derp-derpa doo.
« Reply #774 on: 30 Jan 2009, 15:48 »

I only have a top 4.
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up