THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 15:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pointilism  (Read 5941 times)

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
Pointilism
« on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:03 »

I recently started to try out pen and ink pointilism on a few things. At first I just used it for shading, and then did a picture of an Agava plant I had seen at a nearby conservatory (thats when I found out why most pointilism pieces are fairly small, even 8&1/2 by 11 takes quite a while). Anyway, I've just been using the Picma Micron archival ink pens of various sizes and ivory colored 100% cotton paper. Anyone have any suggestions on different pens/inks or papers to try? I appreciate any input.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Katherine

Re: Pointilism
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:08 »

I have no suggestions for you but I hope you scan and post some of your work.  I used to be big into pointillism in high school, I was always so amazed at what you can create using dots.

SonofZ3

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:26 »

heres the agave and my reference photo, there is lines as well as dots. I think it turned out acceptable for a first attempt.

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2007, 16:34 »

I would suggest changing up the way you are outlining things. The problem with pens is the lack of control over the line weight, and having a degree of control over that really helps pieces like this (I would recommend using a brush, but that is another skill set with another learning curve). When the color changes from dark to light within a leaf, you want to be able to show that change with just dots, rather than with a line (unless you don't have a choice). Additionally, make a stab at attending to details like the points on the edges of some of the leaves with the initial lines, rather than going back and adding them on to the outside in black (which creates an effect like the leaf is wearing mascara). Drawing the little fuzzy plants in the background, or even just doing the background as a uniform darker color (rather than the lighter color) would also help the plant to stand out.

Also what kind of critic would I be without pointing out bullshit semantical details: this is stippling, pointillism applies to colored things.

edit: oh snap I just read the original post again and realized you were looking for materials suggestions not art suggestions. I will leave the above stuff up, maybe it will be helpful, take it or leave it. As for pens, I can't stand microns, but I've yet to find a better alternative. Again I would suggest picking up a small brush for the outlines, but that is your call (if you DO want to go the brush route, I would suggest sumi ink over india).

As for paper, you can't go wrong with bristol board.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 16:38 by tomselleck69 »
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

SonofZ3

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2007, 19:23 »

I apreciate all the input, thanks!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2007, 01:14 »

?

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2007, 06:25 »

ah yes, the most important and simultaneously most ignored rule of pointillism: it must be done en pointe... or else you are a FASCIST.
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

vark

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2008, 14:18 »

Using a computer would take the tedium out of pointilism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Seurat
Pages: [1]   Go Up