THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 27 Apr 2024, 00:11
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Down

Author Topic: tronnocon is serious business / yelley loves you  (Read 277461 times)

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
Re: tronnocon is serious business / yelley loves you
« Reply #1450 on: 23 Jun 2008, 13:35 »

I'd like to think my reasons for getting behind a Boston-con would be totally obvious.

It wouldn't be my top choice, though. With airline prices steadily on the rise, I'd be concerned with Boston turnout. Some obvious folks like myself, Rachel and Shane would be pretty much definite, but I can't imagine we'd see much of any of the further out forumites that are under twenty-five, as it might fall out of their potential price range (As it stands, people like Bryan, Jordan, Ruyi or Yelley would have to drop like $400 for a flight or spend three days each way on a bus. I really don't think any of the forumites out on the west coast would be able to attend (As evidenced by the complete lack of any of them attending Tronnocon).

I think Chicago is probably the optimal destination. It's closer to the west coast, while still being easily accessible for most East coasties (Didn't half the Tronnocon attendies drive through Chicago on their way anyway?). Meanwhile, any Europeans who'd be going at all (I.E.: Tommy) would probably be able to afford the extra distance on a plane. You're also dropping a hundred bucks or so off airfare for any west coasters and putting it in a central location for most of the US residents. Aside from that, there's a higher contingent of east coast adults than west coast adults on this forum. Most of the west coasters are college students who really can't afford to get all that far out, whereas a pretty large contingent of east coasters are at a point in their life where they can afford to make a further trip than some others.

For that matter, even if we wrote off the west coasters, NYC would be a much more practical venue for a meetup. Shane's actually closer to NYC than Boston and both Rachel and I can readily afford a trip out to NYC at the drop of a hat. Meanwhile, Phil, Eugene and Tyler are all routinely out in NYC and there are tons of cheap bus services (Boltbus, Megabus) that service NYC for cheap that more of the close forumites could hit up.

Further down, but also a good point for consideration would be DC. Those of us in the Northeast can get there on the cheap (BoltBus has a charter from Boston to NYC and from NYC to DC) and a few high quality forumites live a short drive from there. It's also not a bad distance for the Great Lakes forumites like Eed, Joe, Linds or Cerny.

As much as I'd love not actually having to take any time off work and not having to book any accommodations to make it, Boston is just horribly impractical for a large scale forumite gathering, in my mind. Most forumites are more than welcome to couch surf at my apartment on any given weekend that I'm home, but anything large scale would a pretty monumental production compared to others.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ackblom12

« Reply #1451 on: 23 Jun 2008, 14:25 »

I have so many goddamn pictures to resize/edit before uploading them to Facebook.

This trip was fucking epic.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1452 on: 23 Jun 2008, 14:26 »

Jon, you make a great point and I agree with you except on one count. New York is expensive as balls. Any potential savings on airfare/other transportation would be squandered on decent lodging.

A Google search reveals information new to me- New York does indeed have hostels, but they are all on the North side of town and a good half hour to forty minutes from anywhere we'd be hanging out (anything south of 14th St. is a good call, generally).

Chicago seems to be the best option, and has the added benefit of being a place I've wanted to visit for a while now.

Discuss.

P.S. Facebook resizes them for you dude.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #1453 on: 23 Jun 2008, 15:13 »

... complete lack of west coast forumites at tronnocon? weird. i could have sworn that jason and i were there...
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1454 on: 23 Jun 2008, 15:31 »

I'm not sure I'd count you guys. You've only been in California for, what, three months? You'd pretty much completely set the plan for Tronno well before actually moving out there, as I recall.
JON MADE ME GAY

Dissy

• The German Chancellory building
  • The only asshole in the internets
« Reply #1455 on: 23 Jun 2008, 15:36 »

I like the idea of Chicagocon '09.  And I do have some reason.

There are two, yes, I said TWO Baseball teams.  If we plan this correctly, we could see them play each other in the crosstown classic. And they are almost always awesome games.... 9 runs in 1 inning.

The L is a pretty solid transportation system.

They have some awesome restaurants all across the city.

Joe Hocking is there, and we can harass him, and bunk at his apartment.  Nothing personal Joe
Quote from: Tommy on Gabbly
i'm not paying for your boob jon
Quote from: Darryl
I fuck at typos
Quote from: Squiddy
but you haven't sig quoted me yet kevin
Quote from: Darryl on meebo
9 inches is pathetic by today's standard

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #1456 on: 23 Jun 2008, 15:56 »

Joe Hocking is there, and we can harass him, and bunk at his apartment.  Nothing personal Joe

Actually, there's a distinct possibility that by the end of June next year I'll have moved again. If there's anything that any other longtime forumites would have noticed about me, it's that I move a lot.

Definitely not that I'm old or make lame jokes or anything. The only noteworthy thing about me is that I move a lot.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #1457 on: 23 Jun 2008, 16:06 »

sanfranciscocon.
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #1458 on: 23 Jun 2008, 16:09 »

thanks jon. good to know that i don't count. (phone has no option to edit posts, hence the double posting)

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #1459 on: 23 Jun 2008, 16:45 »

I can go to San Francisco! I will probably have my license by then! Not that I'd drive into there anyway.
it's time to stop posting

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #1460 on: 23 Jun 2008, 19:36 »

I'd like to think my reasons for getting behind a Boston-con would be totally obvious.

It wouldn't be my top choice, though. With airline prices steadily on the rise, I'd be concerned with Boston turnout. Some obvious folks like myself, Rachel and Shane would be pretty much definite, but I can't imagine we'd see much of any of the further out forumites that are under twenty-five, as it might fall out of their potential price range (As it stands, people like Bryan, Jordan, Ruyi or Yelley would have to drop like $400 for a flight or spend three days each way on a bus. I really don't think any of the forumites out on the west coast would be able to attend (As evidenced by the complete lack of any of them attending Tronnocon).

I almost certainly would have gone if it were anywhere within the US, even Boston or NYC. The reason why having it in Canada made it impractical for me to come was because A) I don't have a passport, and wasn't in a position where I could get one easily, and B) the international status of the flight made tickets about 200 dollars more expensive. Even though Toronto is closer to the West Coast than New York, plane tickets to NYC were nearly half as expensive.

However, I also have some money saved up already because I worked basically all through high school, and I realize not everyone has that luxury. But still, on a personal level the distance/cost difference between Chicago and Boston is negligible for me. The reason I prefer Chicago to other locations in the Eastern US previously mentioned is purely for the convenience of other people. Plus, I've been to DC in the summer and it's a fucking bitch.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #1461 on: 23 Jun 2008, 20:11 »

Putting my greedy reasons for wanting the next meetup to be DC aside, I think Chicago is a good choice as well. And I don't know about Chicago heat, but I can personally testify that if the weekend is humid in DC, we would be kinda fucked. Plus, going to Chicago means going to new places and such, which is always fun.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Edith

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #1462 on: 23 Jun 2008, 20:35 »

Who took the picture of MaiAda pointing at the ginormous pig while a bunch of people were standing around gawping? Because I saw whoever it was take that photo but I really really want to see how it turned out.

Also, damn that was a lot of driving. If next year is in Chicago and I still live here at that time, someone should pick me up on the way.
Ho, ho, ho!

ackblom12

« Reply #1463 on: 23 Jun 2008, 22:19 »

Well, I was planning on getting rid of some red eye, but Kat got bored of doing it while I was at work and I am lazy, so most of them were just uploaded as is.

Some of these are amazing pictures. Especially of the drinking over at Mike's.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=57460&l=b4b55&id=595540534
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2008, 23:19 by ackblom12 »

squawk

• Scrabble hacker
  • if it has a toothpick in it, it's free!
« Reply #1464 on: 23 Jun 2008, 23:04 »

Holy shit that Scrabble board's the best thing I've ever seen. Good job, guys.
it's time to stop posting

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1465 on: 23 Jun 2008, 23:32 »

HEY GUYS MY PHONE WORKS NOW
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #1466 on: 24 Jun 2008, 11:17 »

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.... wait. Your name is Stephen King?

Anyway guys, just got back in town about an hour ago, delays in new york turned a 2 hour layover into a 3 and a half one. I really really need sleep in my own effin bed, just ate the first food I've had since Niagara yesterday. Which by the way was awesome, I didn't really expect much, but I was so impressed that I couldn't resist riding a Maid of the Mist. Also, what the shit is up with the Canadian side of the Falls? Felt like I had walked into Disney World on steroids.

This whole trip was awesome guys, I really enjoyed meeting all of you even though the bus ride there and back was hellish beyond what I thought imaginable, totally worth it.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

mooface

« Reply #1467 on: 24 Jun 2008, 11:40 »

alternatively:

« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2008, 11:42 by mooface »

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #1468 on: 24 Jun 2008, 11:47 »

Holy shit MaiAda, that's so well done.

I think Hivemind should be one word though. Still, I would buy and wear both of those t-shirts.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

mooface

« Reply #1469 on: 24 Jun 2008, 13:24 »

I think Hivemind should be one word though.

i changed it just for you ;)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1470 on: 24 Jun 2008, 16:16 »

Photossssss! There aren't very many. And yes, the blurry ones were from our drunken journey back to the hostel, but that's because my camera is kind of a douche.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ackblom12

« Reply #1471 on: 24 Jun 2008, 16:38 »

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.... wait. Your name is Stephen King?

Anyway guys, just got back in town about an hour ago, delays in new york turned a 2 hour layover into a 3 and a half one. I really really need sleep in my own effin bed, just ate the first food I've had since Niagara yesterday. Which by the way was awesome, I didn't really expect much, but I was so impressed that I couldn't resist riding a Maid of the Mist. Also, what the shit is up with the Canadian side of the Falls? Felt like I had walked into Disney World on steroids.

This whole trip was awesome guys, I really enjoyed meeting all of you even though the bus ride there and back was hellish beyond what I thought imaginable, totally worth it.

Indeed it is! I'm not sure if it was a cruel practical joke because I was an oops baby or if I should blame it on all the drugs she was on at the time of labor. It also doesn't help any that I'm a huge fan and have a bookcase dedicated solely to my collection of Hardcover and Paperback books.

Glad to hear you went and saw the Falls! Niagara Falls is a lot like all the other great wonders like Mt. Rushmore and the Grand Canyon or a great classic painting. Photos simply can't possibly convey how amazing it is.

Glad to hear you made it home safely!

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1472 on: 24 Jun 2008, 17:00 »

i changed it just for you ;)

oh my god it's beautiful

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1473 on: 24 Jun 2008, 17:52 »

Photossssss! There aren't very many. And yes, the blurry ones were from our drunken journey back to the hostel, but that's because my camera is kind of a douche.

I cannot see them, because I am not your facebook friend. wah whine wah wah
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #1474 on: 24 Jun 2008, 20:52 »

YES!!!
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

morbid79

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I like to work.
    • laccetti
« Reply #1475 on: 24 Jun 2008, 20:54 »

Look at me, I'm in no pictures!
King Lemon

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #1476 on: 24 Jun 2008, 21:42 »

I have a picture of you in my heart. You are putting up with me while I am drunk. It is not a flattering picture of me but it comes across that you are pretty rad.

Dudes, he is pretty rad.

yelley

• i believe in knitting.
« Reply #1477 on: 24 Jun 2008, 21:55 »

it's true. he is pretty rad. even though he has cats of doooooooom.

ackblom12

« Reply #1478 on: 24 Jun 2008, 22:00 »

I have no idea how I took so many pictures at your place Mike, but yet managed to not get a single picture of you or Edith.

It makes me a little sad, like I just found out I missed a rare Pokemon.

Oh dear lord that even hurt my brain.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1479 on: 25 Jun 2008, 08:01 »

I didn't get pictures of quite a few people and I don't know how I did that. But I am awaiting Tommy's photos still, because those seem like they will be pretty epic.

I cannot see them, because I am not your facebook friend. wah whine wah wah

You can add me or pm me for my photobucket link/password. But really, there aren't many. I think most are from the ferry to the islands and the journey home from Mike's. Like this one:

:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1480 on: 25 Jun 2008, 08:43 »

Man that was a sweet night.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1481 on: 25 Jun 2008, 11:34 »

Joe Hocking is there, and we can harass him, and bunk at his apartment.  Nothing personal Joe

Been there, done that. I win.
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #1483 on: 25 Jun 2008, 11:42 »

Every time I see a picture of Johnny in that shirt, I think it says "Veep" and I wonder when it was that Shane sold out.
JON MADE ME GAY

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1484 on: 25 Jun 2008, 11:45 »

Jealous

Man, you should be. We went out for breakfast. I slept on his couch. We conversed.

It put Tronnocon to shame.
Liz is touching me.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1485 on: 25 Jun 2008, 11:50 »

I was counting the posts until someone pointed that out. Thank you, Jens.
Liz is touching me.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1486 on: 26 Jun 2008, 08:51 »

I keep seeing you gorram people all around my campus.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1487 on: 26 Jun 2008, 13:57 »

Excellent new page.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1488 on: 26 Jun 2008, 19:52 »

You probably don't see my dopplegangers, James. No one ever looks like me. I don't even have any sort of vague celebrity look-alike.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

mooface

« Reply #1489 on: 26 Jun 2008, 19:57 »

oh yeah, i keep forgetting to mention how glad i am that tronnocon didn't turn out to be tommy and a bunch of balloons.  so i thought i'd mention that now.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #1490 on: 26 Jun 2008, 20:07 »

Balloons with faces drawn on?

That is, frighteningly, one that I had actually thought of myself. Thanks for being inside my head and creeping me out!

morbid79

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I like to work.
    • laccetti
« Reply #1491 on: 26 Jun 2008, 20:13 »

I feel bad for anybody who looks like me.
King Lemon

mooface

« Reply #1492 on: 26 Jun 2008, 20:35 »

That is, frighteningly, one that I had actually thought of myself. Thanks for being inside my head and creeping me out!

katie, i am pretty sure that you were part of this gabbly conversation.
(but maybe not.  in that case carry on with being creeped out :))

valley_parade

• coprophage
« Reply #1493 on: 28 Jun 2008, 07:39 »

Every time I see a picture of Johnny in that shirt, I think it says "Veep" and I wonder when it was that Shane sold out.

I'm definitely getting a "VEEP IT REAL" shirt made up now. Merchwhoring my terrible noise music to no extent!
Wait so you're letting something that happened 10 years ago ruin your quality of life? What are you, America? :psyduck:

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #1494 on: 28 Jun 2008, 10:20 »

Guys, this is a bummer. I was random article surfing on wikipedia and I found this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransformersCon

how could we have missed this?!
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1495 on: 28 Jun 2008, 10:39 »

Yeah I'm not too disappointed.
Liz is touching me.

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #1496 on: 28 Jun 2008, 23:25 »

I always forget that sarcasm doesn't translate into text very well.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #1497 on: 29 Jun 2008, 06:19 »

whoah Whoah WHOAH

You didn't want to go to TransformersCon???

:-o

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1498 on: 29 Jun 2008, 08:05 »

I don't know who's being serious here and who's not, but if you don't want to attend TransformersCon then you are no friend of mine.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Boro_Bandito

« Reply #1499 on: 29 Jun 2008, 10:34 »

I would've gone, but wouldn't have gone out of my way to go. Got it?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31   Go Up